homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Special Edition) (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH (Special Edition)
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
Family.

Can't live with 'em and you can't suspend them by their earlobes over a vat of snapping turtles.

you can't?

damn...

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, no, of course you can.

Frightfully bad form, however. The neighbours will talk.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
Family.

Can't live with 'em and you can't suspend them by their earlobes over a vat of snapping turtles.

you can't?

damn...

You can't if they don't have earlobes. Otherwise it looks a fine idea.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Stupid impatient car drivers who think themselves being in a hurry is worth cutting off cyclists, moving in front and slamming on their brakes, thinking it's a gas to nearly kill them, who pass too close and hit me with their mirrors, who put on a 'who me face' when I sound my 140dB horn at them. Are your ears ringing? We block lanes because we have to. You know absolutely nothing about cycling and absolutely nothing about driving. You have been reported to the cycling association and to the police.

Does that actually achieve anything around your way? It does fuck all here. The police are officially Not Interested unless^h^h^h^htil there's a serious injury.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sillies! You just put the relatives in a very leaky, old rowboat in a fenced-off pond of snapping turtles!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH late spring randy botanicals having sex in my sinuses.

I've never been this allergic in my life. I'm so sneezy I'm a danger on the road.

GET A ROOM, TREES!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quotes file [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH people that forever want me to talk about my feelings.

Feelings shmeelings.

Stupid people. Go away. Get a life. Stop pretending to be sickly sweet and caring. All you really want to do is tear me up and reform my feelings in your image. Makes you feel powerful huh?

Fuck you.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you haven't done so already, Evensong, you need to read this.

Enjoy. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
If you haven't done so already, Evensong, you need to read this.

Enjoy. [Smile]

Ewww! I just read Bede's entry, particularly the "mountains and valleys" thing. Said something very similar at my local congo last week. [Hot and Hormonal]

(Time for another cliche purge) [Help]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ach, Lyda Rose! Those old Limbo threads are too sad! All those people who used to be here daily and have since disappeared. Not just the ones who have died but the ones who dropped us cold and went on about their business. I see that Peronel's "location" is "self-imposed exile." She used to always show up for my Hell calls, if nothing else. What did we do wrong?

It is some of Sine's best, classic work though. [Big Grin]

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I point out YET AGAIN that discussions such as the last several discussions we've had are probably better off with their own threads. If it's worthy of discussion, it is worthy of its own thread.

The next time I won't be so nice.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH whatever caused my brown pants (in the American sense of the word) to turn yellow the last time I had them laundered.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the arsehole who hacked my e-mail so that I had to take half a day off work to get BT to sort things out. (Can't download the necessary software on the school's system).

May you spend eternity confined to a call centre where you are verbally abused, and every word is an arrow which pierces a nerve, which will of course be eternally renewed to be re-pierced. If I think of anything else, I'll be back. There is no statute of limitations.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear copyeditor,

I appreciate that it's a behemoth of a book, that I'm using lots of non-English words in precise technical ways, that my word-ordering and grammar are sometimes flawed, that sometimes clauses need rearranging for the sense of the sentence to be conveyed as I'd intended.

However, simply striking out or rewriting whole paragraphs so that the sense is now different from what I wanted makes the whole 'going through and checking the manuscript' process a bit of a nightmare, especially because I'm on such a tight deadline. If you want to write your own alternate history set in fifteen century Salzburg, knock yourself out. Don't fuck about with mine.

Yours, the author.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the thread in heaven about Game of Thrones season 3. I've watched season 1 & 2, but I missed the first few episodes of season 3 and so have refrained from watching till I get the dvd, but that thread keeps taunting me to look. It keeps whispering, 'Go on, you know you would like to find out what happens.' It's just too much I tell you...argggggh.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
TICTH whatever caused my brown pants (in the American sense of the word) to turn yellow the last time I had them laundered.

I've had the opposite problem; it was a bad curry.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TITCH people who say 'how hard can it be?' then leave a project for me to deal with because they think they're more important than me. The relevant difficulty of the changes to the project are less important than the fact they don't understand the challenges involved.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Stupid impatient car drivers who think themselves being in a hurry is worth cutting off cyclists, moving in front and slamming on their brakes, thinking it's a gas to nearly kill them, who pass too close and hit me with their mirrors, who put on a 'who me face' when I sound my 140dB horn at them. Are your ears ringing? We block lanes because we have to. You know absolutely nothing about cycling and absolutely nothing about driving. You have been reported to the cycling association and to the police.

Does that actually achieve anything around your way? It does fuck all here. The police are officially Not Interested unless^h^h^h^htil there's a serious injury.
TICTH people who think reporting drivers who endangering cyclists is useless. (Just messing with you - it makes me feel like I'm doing something. Being a neutered sensitive new age tree hugging carnivore, it makes me feel virile for a brief moment, after which I go back to being a mouse in a dark corner, hoping no-one will step on me or set out poison.)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH church members dying, especially in clusters, especially in an interim period. The transitional minister is on her way out, so the brand spanking new associate minister, with the oil or water or organic soap or whatever the UCC uses when it ordains people barely dry upon his brow, will have to cope with doing yet another funeral of an old lady he didn't know for a family he's never met. And I get to break the news to him this morning.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

And not necessarily even then. I know of a recent case where the cyclist's leg was broken as a result of a car not giving way (either they saw him and didn't care or didn't see him and hence weren't looking properly - broad daylight) and police are taking no further action. If you follow the cycling blogosphere it would seem that that's not atypical.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
TICTH the thread in heaven about Game of Thrones season 3. I've watched season 1 & 2, but I missed the first few episodes of season 3 and so have refrained from watching till I get the dvd, but that thread keeps taunting me to look. It keeps whispering, 'Go on, you know you would like to find out what happens.' It's just too much I tell you...argggggh.

Three words:
Read The Motherfuckin' Book.

And dont touch that thread until you do.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH drivers who cut in front of me when it's raining buckets and the road is slippery. There was no collision, but that's no thanks to the other driver.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Job interviews at ridiculous times.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Moo: TICTH drivers who cut in front of me when it's raining buckets and the road is slippery. There was no collision, but that's no thanks to the other driver.
A small word of advice: don't go driving in Brazil.

quote:
comet: Three words:
Read The Motherfuckin' Book.

That's four words. Just sayin'.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

one was gratuitous.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pain.
[Mad] [Waterworks]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whiny pregnant people.

Yes, it's hot and your hips hurt. But you have been complaining since you were three months gone. We are all bored now. Also please stop judging the rest of us who aren't reproducing. Thankyou for shutting the fuck up already.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that's what I call a real rant!

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe she's been hot and in pain since she was three months gone. I had SPD from 18 weeks, and it was really difficult and painful to move about too much, let alone do all the daily activities of living that make up life with a small toddler.

So maybe TICTH people who discount others' pain [Razz]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To you guys on Manhunt and Adam4Adam whose only pic is a close up of your dick: Am I supposed to be flattered you sent me a smile, wink, or message? Cause I'm not. Into the trash you go, tra la…

(Of course maybe it's your best feature, but still…I need to know the worst before I respond.)

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Similarly to Sine's complaint, TICTH people who favorite me on SeniorMeet who come from the entire other side of the country. Very flattering I'm sure but what good does it do me? *sigh*

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Earthquakes and the aftermath (again).

A seismologist who has been very active in investigating the however many thousands of quakes and aftershocks we have experienced since Sept 4 2010 (and whose own house was destroyed in Feb 2011) was reported in the paper as saying that the chance of another quake magnitude 6 or above is 10%. [Paranoid]

I don't know if the converse is true - that we have a 90% chance of not having one.

It's not the actual ground shaking bit, it's the ongoing effects on people's lives.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
To you guys on Manhunt and Adam4Adam whose only pic is a close up of your dick: Am I supposed to be flattered you sent me a smile, wink, or message? Cause I'm not. Into the trash you go, tra la…

(Of course maybe it's your best feature, but still…I need to know the worst before I respond.)

But you do. Otherwise you wouldn't trash them.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The woman with the American accent in the supermarket who tried to push me out of the way and, when i wouldn't move, called me 'ass hole'.

I wish I'd thought quickly enough to respond, 'In this country we pronounce it arse hole'.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arthritis.

& drug companies: whose drug to treat my disease has now increased in price to $399.00 for each single injection.

& side effects: the brain fog, lethargy and pain that this injection gives me.

& the bird who crapped on my balding head. I hate you too, you ruby beaked tit.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

Ahem. Sorry.

But TICTH whatever is causing my own pain and stiffness too--see a new doctor, get a new dx. I've collected a few over the years. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nationwide Building Society and their prejudice against certain Hebridean islands.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I know it's scary driving at 40 mph an hour, but perhaps you could try to go a little faster than 19 mph on a largely traffic-free straight road?
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Villages with no village shop.

Cystic acne.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Homeowners Association that decides that the hottest days of the year so far are a great time to drain the swimming pool for a week's worth of repairs. Funny, the pool seemed just fine the day before it was closed -- didn't seem to be in need of repairs at all!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH massive assignments (60%!), studying, exams, mid year interviews with Important Church People, writing sermons and tax returns.

I think I need to start a Procrastination Thread. Just not sure whether it should be in Hell or All Saints. [Paranoid]

Did I mention all those things are occurring in the next two weeks?

*extreme sigh*

[ 10. June 2013, 06:57: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TITCH safeguarding/child protection. I absolutely hate having to send in child protection concern reports, particularly, in this case, when I think the person in question did what he or she did unintentionally, however, I have parents raging over the incident and some action has to be taken and I have to refer it to those responsible for safeguarding.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you are TICTHing the wrong aspect of this situation.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the BBC producers of Sunday Politics for giving publicity to Alex Jones. He just looks [Batshit crazy]ⁿ - I think he's more likely to be a cynical exploiter of the paranoid. What the hell were the producers of that show thinking about?

[Not all of you may be able to access the clip]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

Ditto.

Marsman, you don't get to decide. I'm guessing this is some kind of teacher or caregiver situation. (I'm *not* asking.) Stuff like this goes on and on and on, partly because adults who have some awareness or suspicion think, "oh, but X couldn't *possibly* do that; the kid must be confused, lying, or acting out because of abuse by someone else". If the situation finally does come to light and hit the news, then it turns out to be like pulling gunk out of a drain: you think you've got it out, then find it's connected with stringy stuff to more gunk...and on it goes. I've seen so many news stories where one abuse situation sparks revelations by other victims/survivors, and it turns out that the abuser abused many kids over many years.

Send in the bloody form. If you don't, you're an accessory after the fact. If you truly believe s/he's innocent, point them towards a lawyer or Legal Aid. Ultimately,though, if they did this, you're not doing them any favors by protecting them or minimizing what happened. *They* are going to become more sick every time they abuse.

TICTH all forms of child abuse, and the difficulty of stopping it.

Send in that bloody *****ing form!!! And keep the person away from kids until this is straightened out.
[Mad]

(ETA: to make gender-inclusive.)

[ 10. June 2013, 08:24: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH Dreams. Fucking hallucinogenic, convoluted non-sequiturs. That is not the way to reunite with old friends.
And to hell with the constant, pulsating pain that is likely the seed for these pernicious pearls.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

Possibly, although to explain, in this case, the person in question very publically advised from a position of trust to visit a website not realising what the site contained, and then also posted a link on facebook in the private group for youth and parents telling them to visit the website in question. The individual may well have stayed within the safe bits of the site (or indeed, have been sharing a link that a friend provided) it only took me about 5 minutes to find the not-so child-friendly sections of it, since during my brief (abortive due to my hearing deteriorating) stay in teacher training, we had hammered home to us that we NEVER give out a site without checking every page and then running it by someone else who does the same thing. It appears to have taken the parents in question not much longer than the five minutes it took me.

The person has acted incredibly stupidly, but I don't think deliberately abusive. However as you have all mentioned, I don't get to make that call, the child protection people responsible concerned have to make a decision whether to take it to legal action or not. I suspect the individual concerned will be permanently removed from any contact with young people within our diocese and told what an absolute bloody idiot he's been for assuming the best of a 'Christian' website. However, under my understanding of child protection laws, making explicit adult content available to minors is potentially a serious legal offense, even if the site itself really OUGHT to have big bloody labels over it saying 'you need to be over 18 to visit this site/section' and click-through things, that doesn't lessen this individual's liability in this issue. ICTH the fact that the site in question doesn't. But when you add to the fact the site that was linked to is ostensibly a Christian website, although I'm not sure I consider them to be Christians, it was just a bloody stupid thing to do.

And yes, I've sent in the bloody form. My extensive training in child protection and the diocesan policy I signed doesn't allow me to do otherwise, I HAVE to follow procedure and also make sure it's followed up. The Anglican diocese in question doesn't allow us to even leave things with the child protection coordinator, we have to make sure that there is some appropriate action taken. I suspect this may have been after they've been clobbered for letting things slide a rather public time or two...

And that's enough for me to say, discussion wise, without getting the hosts even more cranky at me than otherwise, I suspect...

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

And a word to other cupcakes not to get into discussion mode. Start your own thread, you lazy sods!

Not here, not ever.

--------------------

The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
TICTH church members dying, especially in clusters, especially in an interim period. The transitional minister is on her way out, so the brand spanking new associate minister, with the oil or water or organic soap or whatever the UCC uses when it ordains people barely dry upon his brow, will have to cope with doing yet another funeral of an old lady he didn't know for a family he's never met. And I get to break the news to him this morning.

Our local curate said "Oh no, your from that road. Please don't die. I've conducted six funerals from your road since I got here." I think he may have done 7 or 8 now.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016