homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Special Edition) (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH (Special Edition)
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know perfectly well that I’m not on your boss’s team anymore. I have happened to drop that information into conversation twice. After the second time, I rather felt a pushy jerk, but ye gods, apparently I wasn’t pushy enough. Or did you not realize that now that as the sole editor in my group, I might have, I don’t know, work to do?
Yes, I am helping out and doing some of my old work, because I wanted to be helpful and could currently afford to. However, C knows bloody well that unless she tells me something is a major priority, her work comes second now, since you know it’s not even my job anymore. Do you really think you will impress her by CCing her on emails after not even a day to ask if I’ve scanned some papers in? Doll, you can bloody well scan your own papers in, if you’re in a hurry. We’re sending off manuscript today, and guess what, that’s rather more important than whether you want to trouble your dear idiot self figuring out how to use a simple scanner. I was planning on processing the papers today—not even 24 hours after I got them—as I suspect the break will be pleasant, but I’m rather tempted to delay now.

P.S. You may think you are grandmotherly, and you do have the cluelessness and querulousness of certain TV grandmothers, but really you more seem incompetent than wise and honestly you don’t hold a candle to any of my grandmothers

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TITCH: The Girl Guides, for planning to drop references to God and to the Queen in the Guides' oath.

And shame on the Daily Mail for getting a quote from the fruitbat Andrea Minichiello Williams. They could've found someone better than her.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I applaud their change of oath so as to include all - hope the boy scouts follow suit soon.

BUT The Queen is SILL in the oath.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH people believing, after all these years, anything they read in the Daily Heil

Honestly, if that bigoted little rag ran a story that grass was green I'd stick my head out of the window to make sure.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH ridiculous church database software that automatically lists married people as Mr. and Mrs. Husbandsfirstname Lastname. Seriously? This isn't the 1950s. And it makes it hard for me to figure out who the hell everybody is, especially women whose husbands aren't members so I don't know them.

Plus, shock and horror, we actually have women who kept their names and... dun-dun-DUNNNN! gay couples. How about not shoehorning everyone into an obsolete etiquette that died out before you, moronic database, were a gleam in some programmer's eye?

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
TICTH ridiculous church database software that automatically lists married people as Mr. and Mrs. Husbandsfirstname Lastname. Seriously? This isn't the 1950s. And it makes it hard for me to figure out who the hell everybody is, especially women whose husbands aren't members so I don't know them.

They're presumably Mrs Lastname?
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the asshole who called me a "New York Jew" for daring to want to share the lap lane in a public swimming pool with him and one other swimmer. We were spaced about as far apart as jumbo jets are that share a runway and were in no danger of bumping into one another.

(1) I am a Christian, but even if I was Jewish, why would that disqualify me from using the pool? Rules such as those disappeared long ago in this country.

(2) I am indeed from New York, but this is Arizona, where almost everybody is from somewhere else.

(3) How stupidly ignorant of me not to realize that you possessed the title deed to the lap lane. If this were Monopoly, you could have put a hotel on it and charged me four times the rent. But, being an asshole, that probably didn't occur to you.

You elected to get out of the pool rather than share a lap lane with a "New York Jew". I hope you had a perfectly miserable rest of your afternoon. Me, I enjoyed my swim all the more for want of you as a poolmate.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(I've googled and apparently that either means you're liberal or you're tightfisted - I don't understand how either link in with swimming laps??? [Confused] )

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
(I've googled and apparently that either means you're liberal or you're tightfisted - I don't understand how either link in with swimming laps??? [Confused] )

Clearly someone who wasn't tightfisted would go out and buy his own lap lane, rather than insisting on sharing someone else's.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the risk of perpetuating the stereotype (and prolonging the discussion -- forbidden on this thread, I know), "New York Jew" is generally regarded as meaning "pushy", "selfish". It just occurred to me today -- I should have told him I'd rather be a New York Jew than an Arizona Asshole.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
People who will argue the fucking toss up the devil's arsehole.

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to SOF. Not to be mean spirited in any fashion, but if you wish to sail here, I suggest you resign to this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Debate is not what I'm talking about.

--------------------
-

-

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH people who think "sail" means "debate", and use that as an excuse to piss on perfectly reasonable advice. May the butt-hairs from a thousand tarantulas torment their urethra.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely image, RooK.

Today I'd like to condemn cyclists who are in the road traffic but decide that road traffic signs don't apply them. Like, say, the red stop light that was facing you so that a bunch of pedestrians could cross the road safely with a walk signal. The bunch of pedestrians that you accelerated towards and dived through the middle of, as the two groups of pedestrians headed towards each other from opposite sides of the road.

I hung back slightly, but it would have been quite interesting in a way to move forward at the pace I would have used if I'd ignored your presence the way you ignored all of ours. Maybe there still would have been enough of a gap. Between me and the woman holding a baby for you to squeeze through, but I'm not convinced. I trust you would have collided with me rather than her given the choice. I would at least have been confident everyone would have survived the impact. You might not have survived what I was dreaming of doing to you afterwards, and I sure as hell would have done everything in my power to ensure you faced the full force of the law.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH drugs that sedate you way too much and leave you in a drooling heap unable to function effectively.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH people who have absolutely no sense of time and decide to cook a really smelly dinner at 11 pm in your shared space, which, because of construction, is also the same room where you SLEEP. but hey, go ahead, turn on the light, deep fry something and smoke up the entire building while chatting, then leave all the dishes behind. because, you know, 11 pm is when everyone wants to be interrupted by lights and stinky smoke and chatter. especially those of us who have to get up at Oh-God-Thirty in the morning. YEAH. GREAT. And no, I bloody well can't give you a ride to work.

I also C myself to H just a little for being too tired to have the battle scene that would have sucked but would have put an end to this bullshit for good. I know I need to just suck it up and go to war. but fuck, I've been up since 5 am, didn't get more than 5 hours sleep last night (similar interference) and I simply don't want to have to work up the gumption to have the battle. so I sit here and stew like some sort of passive cow.

PLEASE let this fucked-up living situation get better soon.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH my co-worker's inability to follow simple instructions while I am on vacation. The most important of these was to call at the first sign of something going wrong rather than wait until she was too frustrated and irritated for me to be able to walk her through something on the phone.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:

They're presumably Mrs Lastname?
Well... the problem is that we have several unrelated clans of Smiths and also at least six or eight families where multiple generations are all members. So Mrs. Lastname often doesn't narrow it down further than three or four possibilities.
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the housing market. Apparently my house is worth £20k less than I paid for it six years ago. At least, that's the case according to the valuer sent round by a mortgage company. He said that since it's next to an electricity substation, that's enough to make it go for quite a bit less than other houses on the street — despite my house having an extension and therefore having a lot more space than the other houses.

I'm so tired of all this financial jumping through hoops. I know that I'm luckier than many people throughout the world (having food to eat, a roof over my head, a job I like, etc), but if I slip up and do my financial plans wrong, there's nobody to bail me out. With this new valuation, I'm in debt even if I were to sell the house. It's hard to see my good fortune when it's keeping me awake at night.

It's times like this that make me want to run away and join a convent.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the bastards who were trying to hack one of my internet IDs for the second time in the last couple of months - BASTARDS! BASTARDS! BASTARDS!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
TICTH the bastards who were trying to hack one of my internet IDs for the second time in the last couple of months - BASTARDS! BASTARDS! BASTARDS!

Perhaps the American government agency, the NSA. They will go after all data in general, and maybe your error was that you want to keep it secret? They really get excited if it's encrypted, the bastards.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH...our bank who while being perfectly happy to accept money from both of us into our Joint Account, will not deign to speak with me. Apparently it's Himself that must be spoken with.

No words. Just how ignorant.
So the official feedback has still not been given. Such a shame.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH diva brides. Especially when they turn up late to their own wedding while 150 guests sit around wondering... People should not be allowed to do something as important as get married unless they demonstrate that they possess common courtesy and can follow basic directions. Can we slip something in the canon law to that effect, please?

And this goes out to many brides and grooms: Why do you come to seek the blessing of the Church if you display no respect at all for the institution? You really can get married by a Justice of the Peace, or, in this state, anyone who applies for a license to do it. There are many pretty venues that haven't been consecrated for sacred use. Perhaps you could have your fairy princess wedding in one of those places instead.

And wedding photographers: It's a Sacrament, not a photo op.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

Christine Blower
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Condemning New York City to itself.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the foul distorted caricatures that live in the heads of some people, who label them Christians, and feed their images to others so that they live in their heads too.

[Projectile] I vomit them into hell, and feel better already.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ticth bus eireann you bastards

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

TICTH loss of time, loss of energy. Slowness of progress. Less ability to care, less ability to mind what happens to other sinners. Less charity. Less left to hold back rage. Less compunction. Health going. Pain somewhere, always. Mind under attack. Less inclination to bracket one's condition with that of others. Less empathy. The seemingly unpreventable return – world-mandated, against all my better judgement, and what I know to pray for – of who I was before.

--------------------
-

-

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH NPR for canceling the wonderful "Talk of the Nation" show that I enjoy daily, and evidently forcing out the host, Neal Conan.

Maybe we need another round of top-brass resignations? They've been making such stupid decisions over the last several years.

I'm seriously wondering if there's an anti-NPR mole at work. There are people who want to cut the remaining gov't funding...

[Mad]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TITCH, damn fool teachers who shout at small children....................

Just don't. It's sodding well stupid and not at all pretty.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure who needs to be consigned to hell more, or maybe both, the racist idiot who used racial epithets against some of the kids at my library, or the older brother of two of the kids who showed up and punched the guy out in the library.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I'm not sure whether I want to condemn the pastor on American television who argues allowing more people to marry will cause the marginalization of marriage, or just laugh at him derisively.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The old saying is that Australia got the convicts and North America got the religious fanatics. Orfeo, you might wonder who got the better deal, I don't.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH, as I do most days in fact, my HMO. My doctor (an internist - my general doc, not a specialist) won't approve a refill on my asthma inhaler because I still have one at home. I explained I like to keep a spare (hey, you're allowed to keep a spare birth control pack ready to go), and she basically says if I need to have a spare, it means my asthma isn't controlled. She wants me to come in for a visit, to determine whether my asthma is well-controlled.

How, precisely? What diagnostic equipment do you have in your office, doctor? Can you do a methacholine challenge or spirometry in your office? If you're concerned about my asthma, send me to a specialist.

But why is it so unreasonable to have a spare inhaler around? I often forget to take it with me when I go places, so I prefer to keep one at bedside and one in my carry-along bag (or with my keys). Why is that so unreasonable? I promise I'm not selling them on the black market or anything.

I've never, ever had an insurance company or doctor ever object to this before or even find it one bit strange.

In fact, it's possible I know more about asthma than my general doctor does. I certainly know more about mine.

This is a huge pattern with this HMO. They harass you in the name of "preventative care" (like when they made me get a totally unnecessary biopsy) but when you actually have a condition, they give you the run-around (like when it took over 6 months for me to convince them my elbow wasn't healing right after a fracture - that one's still unsettled).

I know, all of this goes with an HMO.

I'm nervous about going to see my non-specialist doctor about my asthma because I've actually had two doctors in the past claim I don't have it (one didn't know how to diagnose it properly, and the other was being paid by my employer to check out my ADA-related complaint, which meant he was motivated to give them the result they wanted so they'd shoot more business his way. ETA: And he didn't know how to diagnose it; he took an x-ray of my chest). In an HMO that has total control of my healthcare, what happens if this non-specialist decides I don't really need medication? That probably won't happen, but she does hold a lot of power.

All over an inhaler. You can't get high off them, and they don't even cost that much. It's one thing to contact me with a concern that I might need to be reassessed, but quite another to argue with my explanation like that.

To say my asthma's not under control if I want to have a spare - which I want to have to ensure I always have an inhaler on me - is basically to say I don't need an inhaler at all. How so? Because under her scenerio, when I forget to take my inhaler with me somewhere, that's OK. If I needed to use it while out, clearly my asthma's not well-controlled. So I shouldn't worry that I don't have it, because I shouldn't need it. Then what's the point of the damn thing in the first place?!?

I can't wait till I have my PhD - I'll let everyone call me by my first name except idiot MDs like this. They'll have to call me Dr.

[ 27. June 2013, 01:03: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH PCOS, the condition I have. and FUCK YOU ovarian cyst that burst on me today, rendering me a waffling idiot on many calls, noted by someone in authority. It hurts, but I am okay in case anybody checks. Going for a walk then to bed, picturing missiles firing on this thing.

[eta: Because so many of you care and I get PM's to check, let me assure you I am under a doctor's care. I just needed TO VENT TODAY. Thanks. Appreciate it.]

[ 27. June 2013, 01:08: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

churchgeek, that is most definitely fucked up.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Church Geek, that sucks. Insurance plans aren't any better. I ended up paying for a spare bottle of insulin because I worked in a building whose earthquake plans might keep me in the office for 2 days.

But your scenario skipped the usual HMO hellish nonsense that it takes two or three visits to actually get to a doctor and not a nurse-practitioner, busy-body or paper pusher.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In light of the last few posts this may sound frivolous but ===

TICTH Underwire bras (I have bruises after a fall and the wires are painfully placed).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH people who delberately mistreat employees because they know that by doing so, they can save the company a few bucks and make themselves look good in the eyes of their superiors.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
In light of the last few posts this may sound frivolous but ===

TICTH Underwire bras (I have bruises after a fall and the wires are painfully placed).

Huia

There is no whinge too trivial for TICTH. All sour apples are welcome at this table.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

TICTH the whole shitty experience of going to a bar for a drink if you're on your own. It's either too loud to strike up conversation, too dark to make eye contact or too sleazy for either of those notions to be appealing in the first place.

And yes it's still NYC that I'm hating in context, thanks for asking. Greatest city in the world my arse. This place sucks. There I'VE SAID IT. On the Internet where it can be preserved for posterity and embarrass me when I'm famous. I dislike New York City, you bunch of assholes!

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH my idiot business partner who seems to think that throwing a temper tantrum over a $20 card game is somehow funny or even remotely appropriate. If folks wanted to play cards with a fucking child, they'd stay home and play Go Fish with their kids. I realize he doesn't really give a rat's furry backside about the business, but I've put my heart and soul into it. I've reached the breaking point with him and know that I'm a)going to have to ban him from playing cards in the bar he partially owns and b)most likely going to have to find (and pay) someone else to work his shifts. I'm so mad about this that I'm shaking as I type. Today is NOT going to be pretty...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
TICTH the whole shitty experience of going to a bar for a drink if you're on your own. It's either too loud to strike up conversation, too dark to make eye contact or too sleazy for either of those notions to be appealing in the first place.

Going to a bar for a drink or going to a bar to get laid? 'Eye contact' would suggest the latter.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

Going to a bar for a drink or going to a bar to get laid? 'Eye contact' would suggest the latter.
What a hopeless romantic you are.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

Oh lord. Listen you smartarse, no one goes to a bar just 'for a drink'. If I just want a drink I can buy a bottle of the alcohol of my choice and take it somewhere nice and comfortable where I can control the music and the volume and put an interesting tv show on and whatever.

That does NOT mean that the only possible form of social interaction one might look for in a bar is getting laid. There are other alternatives between your sad dichotomy.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, so you didn't get laid in New York. Maybe you'll be luckier in San Francisco.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

listen, gentlemen, let's discuss orfeo's sad little sex life elsewhere, yes?

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH hayfever. No matter which combination of drugs I take, I'm still sniffing and sneezing and my eye looks like it's melting and I'm snoozy as anything. Listen, immune system, you've had 30 yrs to get used to pollen. It's not that big a deal. Get used to it!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:

The bars in any city tend to be horrible during the gay pride weekend. I've always found San Francisco bars friendly than New York even before my friends bought bars there. It's the core of social alcoholics that make it possible to socialize as a visitor.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016