homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » TICTH (Special Edition) (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: TICTH (Special Edition)
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Somewhat related, and also worthy of a hell call . . .

We spent the majority of this afternoon in Spanish class talking about cup sizes, Mexican slang for various classifications of loose vs. virtual women, and the desirability of plastic surgery to achieve that perfect body. I tried to turn the talk to the concept of the soul being more beautiful than the body, but the instructor would have none of it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like Hell to me.

I mean-- Gee Whilikers-- I think I am developing a tangent on the corner of my mouth! Better get the Campho-Phenique or start another thread!

[ 24. July 2013, 20:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Abbreviations. You know, like, YMMV or OTOH and gawd knows what else. Fuck off! I don't know what they mean and I'm not going to waste my time learning either. If you can't be arsed to write it out in full then you shouldn't be writing in the first place. Now piss off!
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FOADAOYDTB

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
FOADAOYDTB

[Killing me] [Overused]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the beach town restaurant with the lah-dee-dah dress code and the managerial staff person detailed to discuss that dress code with us -- we're in a private room, behind a closed door, and you have to come in to tell us that some of us aren't dressed appropriately? It's a beach town, fer cryin' out loud. I don't care how much you're charging, you should be prepared to deal with people in casual attire. You weren't sufficiently concerned about the jeans and shorts some of us were wearing to turn us away, and you were no doubt more than happy to take our money, but you still had to come talk to us as if we were adolescent louts from the back of beyond who needed schooling so we wouldn't commit such solecisms "next time." Don't worry about it -- there won't be a "next time."

And while I'm at it, if you're going to ask people to dress up to eat your food, it should be one hell of a lot better.

And I CTH the family member who insisted on this ridiculous outing in the first place, when every single other person would have been far happier at the beach house -- you know, the one by the beach, the whole reason for being here. Where the kids can run around once they've finished eating instead of having to wait through a tedious grown-up meal. Where we can enjoy a stunning view right out the dining room window. Where we can eat food that's at least as good as that served by the chi-chi restaurant without changing out of shorts and flip-flops.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
FOADAOYDTB

I recognize FOAD, but I couldn't find the rest of it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ad Orientem You Deserve The Best - I guess

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Fresh orange Alexandertorte demands all of your dexterity to bake" (of course)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kasra
Shipmate
# 10631

- Posted      Profile for Kasra   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH all of my students, past, present and future. I also reserve the right to rescue them once my temper has calmed down.

Great Student Moment of yesterday:
"Dear Prof Kasra, I would like your advice on how to apply to the U of T*****." I don't work at that uni, as is evident from my email address (one of those standard kasra - at - university of somewhere-that-isn't-T type things).

Great Student Moment of today:
"Dear Prof Kasra, I did not make all the changes they wanted to my thesis because I didn't want to. Will that be ok?" NO!!!!! That was a required list of changes in order to pass. It's not negotiable... And since when was "I didn't want to" a reasonable excuse?

I could go on.

Remind me (actually don't) what students are for, again? Grrrrrr.

--------------------
Can you spare $13.10 to help find a cure for Leukemia, Lymphoma and Myeloma? http://pages.teamintraining.org/ne/kc12/cburberqb8#home

Posts: 309 | From: Lincoln, NE | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kasra:

They pay our bills.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH fucking projection and binary thinking.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TITCH FIFA and the corruption therein. Qatar was a bloody stupid place to hold a Summer World Cup, yes, it was. Everyone else knew that but you during the bidding process. Now you've come to realise that, you wish to interrupt all European Cup football for 2-3 years prior to that, in order to make it work. I hope Australia and the others take you to the cleaners legally to recoup all the money they put in for a bid for a SUMMER World Cup. If they'd known that they were bidding for a World Cup at any time of the year, they might've put in different bids. How much did Qatar pay you under the table to get accepted? I hope the Premier League and other European Leagues stick to their guns on this one, since most countries couldn't compete in the WC without their European League players.
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH idiots who think that just because I'm wearing a t-shirt that refers to Detroit in some way (this constitutes the majority of my clothing) they have the right to corner me and mansplain (or SanFransplain as I'm now calling this particular iteration of it) to me precisely what's wrong with Detroit.

Today's guy first of all assumed I hadn't heard my hometown has filed for bankruptcy. He then ignored my curt reply that I'm from there AND I've studied it, and told me it's all because pensioners are living longer and the city has to pay their pensions. He also was smiling when he talked about how the collection at the Detroit Institute of Arts (not that he knew the name, mind) might be sold off to satsify creditors. He seemed to be enjoying it - maybe not masochistically, but certainly as a casual topic of conversation (for him).

I have yet to meet a Californian who understands Detroit. Hm, maybe they've never been there, let alone know anyone from there? It's bad enough you think you can pronounce on a city you have no knowledge about or relationship to, but to do it, univited, to someone who is from there without stopping to think, "Maybe this is a painful subject" (let alone, "Maybe I'm talking out of my ass") is just ignorant at best.

Stop being so smug. Try asking questions next time, or at least expressing concern; and if I seem uninterested in talking about it, leave me alone.

I know you want to keep up your cozy illusion that such things could never happen here. That's why you content yourself with a simplistic, bizarre "explanation" for Detroit's problems. You can other a whole city and hold it at arm's length. I really honestly hope it never happens to the place where you live. Or anyone, really. I'm not an asshole like you are.

I guess I need to go out and buy some plain t-shirts to wear for a while.

(Or am I "asking for it" by dressing the way I do?) [Disappointed]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
(Or am I "asking for it" by dres]sing the way I do?) [Disappointed]

No, no, and no. The guy was a jerk, and your loyalty to your hometown is admirable.

TICTH whoever it was that decided to splatter paint on the Lincoln Memorial. FOAD.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:

I have yet to meet a Californian who understands Detroit. Hm, maybe they've never been there, let alone know anyone from there?

I've been there once, for four days. It struck me as terribly sad. That's not very profound, but what do you expect from a brief visit?

TICTH idiot bureaucrats. No, there was nothing wrong with my form. Yes, I did include the first page. I know, because you returned it to me with your note saying that the first page was missing. I know your job is tedious beyond belief, but please don't liven it up at my expense.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Mad] People who park on pavements - not just a couple of wheels, the WHOLE car! When did this become acceptable? [Mad]
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I consign to Heck whoever programmes those automated phone call voices that pronounce Joanna as Jonah. I am always tempted to say that it is not me but I would like to be able to use my credit card again...

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post 
One way of staying off the double yellow lines I suppose Boogie [Biased]

Anyway staying with the humble motor-carriage theme.
TICTH ----The UK car population in general.

It was supposed to give us freedom and the joy of of movement whenever and wherever we pleased.
Yet listen to any daily traffic report and you are likely to come across adjectives such as 'terrible', 'horrendous' or 'awful' to describe normal traffic movement in congested parts of the UK.

Watch any of those old Ealing films from the 40s and 50s and the most striking thing is our beautiful towns and villages free from the clutter of cars.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the idiot with the music system out back right now
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh for fx sake....at Least choose sensible music.

We can't take people out for this sort of torture can we?

Hells teeth.
Loud and awful.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] [Killing me] Fox News nitwit interviews Reza Aslan.

[Killing me] [Killing me] What idiot came up with that idea? "Now, we really need to find the perfect subject to provide a clear contrast against the backdrop of our utter stupidity..."

[Killing me] [Killing me] It's hard to C them TH when they made my night the way they just did.

God bless 'em. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
One way of staying off the double yellow lines I suppose Boogie [Biased]

Anyway staying with the humble motor-carriage theme.
TICTH ----The UK car population in general.

It was supposed to give us freedom and the joy of of movement whenever and wherever we pleased.
Yet listen to any daily traffic report and you are likely to come across adjectives such as 'terrible', 'horrendous' or 'awful' to describe normal traffic movement in congested parts of the UK.

Watch any of those old Ealing films from the 40s and 50s and the most striking thing is our beautiful towns and villages free from the clutter of cars.

Tell me about it. I bike to work two or three times a week - or rather I did. However, the feeling in management is now that because there's a slight chance (it happens perhaps once every three or four months) that I might need to get somewhere suddenly, I should drive to work every day.

You want to know why there are so many cars on the roads - this is the sort of reason why.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
[Mad] People who park on pavements - not just a couple of wheels, the WHOLE car! When did this become acceptable? [Mad]

I don't know, but it's reached epidemic proportions around my way, along with its fellow parking-cuntery Parking On And Wrecking The Verge and Parking On The Road On A Bend Right Next To The Junction Because I'm Too Fucking Lazy To Use My Driveway.

Neither the police nor the council give a fuck. I've been trying to get them to take an interest for 18 months but they just ignore me.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Egg on the windshield, dear.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

[Killing me] [Killing me] What idiot came up with that idea? "Now, we really need to find the perfect subject to provide a clear contrast against the backdrop of our utter stupidity..."

[Killing me] [Killing me] It's hard to C them TH when they made my night the way they just did.

What an embarrassment the interviewer is to the very concept of interview, to the very concept of debate. Mr. Aslan, for your handling of the fool. [Overused]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the subject of cars, picture the scene this evening. A main road with traffic jammed solid, some people waiting to turn left at a corner. One woman in a car can't wait the 30 seconds it would take (the traffic is already starting to move) so just blithely drives right up onto the pavement a few inches from me and around the corner, beaming cheerily as she passes.

That sort of thing would totally fail you on a driving test and I can't imagine the police would have nothing to say if they'd seen it.

I really feel it would be worth re-testing "experienced" drivers every five years. (For one thing, it would be a good source of revenue, if nothing else.)

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH individuals in NHS who do not take note of the information put on a patients notes by the family and think they can discharge a patient when they want to at short notice.

Said patient had a Section 2 (Social Services assessment request), a note that family lived at a distance so not into local provision, was 84 and main carer for a wife with dementia. In other words a very complex discharge.

The family requested discharge to a specific home because of this; noted that would require organised transport to get him to the home. We tried our darndest to say this is not standard and can not be standard on the ground that to tell people early is to give them time to prepare.

Did they talk to the home and see what was entailed or who he was to be discharged medically to. Did they sort out transport. Did they heck! If it was not for the home hitting the roof they would have discharged him without any arrangement being in place.

Not happy.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This story has got worse.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH the people who think the Fox interview with Reza Aslan was particularly bad.

Expecting a train wreck a la Kay Burley at her insane best, what we saw was a fairly reasonable opening question, Mr Reza rather doing the equivalent of getting his academic dick out and waving it on the desk, a few rubbishly thrown in quotes from the bottom half of the internet, and one very valid quote from an academic pointing out that Mr Aslan's work isn't very new.

Fox's presenter may well be working above her talent grade, but she was no worse than much local TV.

To label this "Worst....Interview....Ever!" seems rather odd. Criticise Fox for being terrible when it is being terrible - but don't call evil what is merely lame.

[ 01. August 2013, 12:20: Message edited by: dyfrig ]

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welome back, Dyfrig.

I agree, we mustn't judge Fox anchors by normal journalistic rules like, "Read the material, be respectful and don't interrupt." Fox Broadcasting School has only one rule for interviewers: Always maintain a disdainful facial expression with one eyebrow slightly raised that says, "You can try to confuse me with facts all you want my insider knowledge of conspiracy theories knows you're wrong."

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lorries that make dalek noises when they reverse.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH whatever obsessed nitwit just called my colleague's desk 8 times in two minutes, literally. He isn't there--or I'd be consigning him to hell too for making me listen to that--but if he were you could have been damn sure he wasn't answering by the second time. SHUT UP ALREADY you pitiful creature!

[ 01. August 2013, 16:28: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could you not answer your colleague's phone for him?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No. In our office that would be seen as an intrusion and Not Done. Normally they'd just leave him a voicemail...

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH flies. Don't care how important they are in the food chain, or if they help pollinate flowers (do they? I have no idea) - just get the hell out of our house!!!

Oh, and with them ICTH the ants that look like they're making a pincer movement on our house from our front and back gardens. Get out of it!!

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WILL THIS WEEK NEVER FUCKING END?!?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chuggers. Nuff said

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Chuggers. Nuff said

Are chuggers allowed to canvass at people's doors? I ask because we had two in two days last week, for different charities - not straightforward collectors, the full-on attempt to get us to sign up for a direct debit. Because we make a point of not dealing with cold callers at the door we told them we weren't interested, to which one replied with an attempt at guilting us into it ("I know you said you're on a tight budget, but all your neighbours have found room for us in their budget ...") Is that legal?

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stumbling Pilgrim:
quote:
Chuggers. Nuff said

Are chuggers allowed to canvass at people's doors? I ask because we had two in two days last week, for different charities - not straightforward collectors, the full-on attempt to get us to sign up for a direct debit. Because we make a point of not dealing with cold callers at the door we told them we weren't interested, to which one replied with an attempt at guilting us into it ("I know you said you're on a tight budget, but all your neighbours have found room for us in their budget ...") Is that legal?
Assuming you're in England or Wales - afraid so.

(Sorry if that was a rhetorical question - I'm being very literal today [Biased] )

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Kasra:

They pay our bills.
So why the BEEP do you lot make it so hard for us to actually give you any money! Two attempts to pay for next year and I have still not managed it. The latest delay is due to a programming error.

I can not recall a single year out of eight where registering has been without complications.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jengie- send me all of the money. I'll take care of it for you.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Homophobic racist fundamentalist ignorant Facebook jerks.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chuggers. Nuff said [/QUOTE]Are chuggers allowed to canvass at people's doors? I ask because we had two in two days last week, for different charities - not straightforward collectors, the full-on attempt to get us to sign up for a direct debit. Because we make a point of not dealing with cold callers at the door we told them we weren't interested, to which one replied with an attempt at guilting us into it ("I know you said you're on a tight budget, but all your neighbours have found room for us in their budget ...") Is that legal? [/QUOTE]

I tell them I already have charities that I support, and that since I am now unemployed I can't afford to take on any more. That usually shuts them up.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
and TICTH the charities (yes, British Red Cross and WWF, I'm looking at you) which actually use chuggers, without any thought or care for the welfare of those poor buggers used to get more and more of those miserable direct-debits and print glossy brochures saying what a wonderful job they're doing...
Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH whoever thought of casting Ashton Fucking Kutcher as Steve Jobs in the movie "Jobs." I'm not even an Apple fan and I feel insulted.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

The FUCK??!!! [Mad]

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

well it worked, I bought the book. it's good. Oh wait, was it not a commercial..??
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Seriously!

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TICTH men standing on the main street of Waikiki advertising guns. Just another fun holiday activity between swimming and luaus.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016