homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fucking crypto-homophobes (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking crypto-homophobes
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fed up with any mention of gay rights getting swamped by not only the obvious homophobes but the fucking "concern" trolls waving their wimpy little privileged "concern" dicks around. I don't give a shit about your "concerns" that churches might be forced to conduct gay marriages, because they're bullshit. They're an excuse for not owning up to your own homophobia and still getting to oppose equal marriage. On that score fuck the Evangelical Alliance and their fellow travellers in "Scotland for marriage" who got one of our extremely elderly elders handing out leaflets on the steps of the church while our minister is away on long term sick and unable to object. Every single backer of that pestilential organisation opposed every single advance in rights for gay people and their arguments are disingenuous, dishonest sophistry.

As for the homophobic fuckers acting as apologists for the Russian government and trying to use democracy as a shield to defend their vile actions and engaging in whataboutery to try and distract attention: when you've finished having tea with Mr. Tumnus, kindly go and suck the dick you clearly so desperately crave.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
As for the homophobic fuckers acting as apologists for the Russian government and trying to use democracy as a shield to defend their vile actions and engaging in whataboutery to try and distract attention: when you've finished having tea with Mr. Tumnus, kindly go and suck the dick you clearly so desperately crave.

Sorry was this directed at me?

Please say it was so I can turn around and put you in your place over oh so many different points you make, because evidently the ability to remember information is not one of your strongest points.

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may not have been about you, fucknuts, but since you so kindly have painted a large target on your bum, it is now.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It probably WAS about you anyway. Having seen Dead Horses.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, dear S&M, please assume it was you and respond. I would love to hear what you have to say.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too.

("S&M"? Ha!)

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Consults crystal ball/

He's about to pull the 'I'm gay, so I'm not homophobic' card for his whataboutery.

In his case, I think it's a bit of conservative posing to avoid having to identify with those nasty 'lefties' demanding a boycott.

So not homophobia, I'd guess but Toryphilia which has led to him being mistaken for an actual homophobe using 'dogwhistle' tactics. Which is kind of amusing actually and serves him right for his 'Look at me, I'm such a contrarian!' posting.

[ 15. August 2013, 00:13: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
S M is the saddest case, but there are others festering in Dead Horses like Mudfrog.

"I'm opposed to the goals of gay protest, but let me tell you that you're doing it all wrong and are hypocrites because you're focusing on a single issue for tactical reasons instead of protesting everything in the world especially non-gay issues I think are more important".

Why do people who are opposed to the goals think anyone cares about their opinion on right tactics to achieve the goals?

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Consults crystal ball/

He's about to pull the 'I'm gay, so I'm not homophobic' card for his whataboutery.

In his case, I think it's a bit of conservative posing to avoid having to identify with those nasty 'lefties' demanding a boycott.

So not homophobia, I'd guess but Toryphilia which has led to him being mistaken for an actual homophobe using 'dogwhistle' tactics. Which is kind of amusing actually and serves him right for his 'Look at me, I'm such a contrarian!' posting.

The SM Kiss the Whip Shtick is
"I am in favor of gay rights but not till the last homophobe in my church agrees it's ok. So for practical purposes count me as the most recalcitrant homophobe. Let me see how I can obstruct the discussion while claiming I'm in favor, but not yet..."

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

Why do people who are opposed to the goals think anyone cares about their opinion on right tactics to achieve the goals?

Privilege. No act has a meaning until they've approved or disapproved of it.

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're all a bunch of idiots.
Until you learn the meaning of the word homophobia I shan't respond.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Etymology is not meaning, Mudfrog.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reject the meaning that you give to the word homophobia and I reject the allegation of hatred of homosexual people that is implied by its use against me.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

And Mt Arethosemyfeet, I'm so glad my children were not pupils of yours up there in the Hebrides! I would hate for them to be taught by a man of such limited vocabulary that he has to use such foul language in order to express his opinions and by doing so, reveal evident difficulties with anger management.

I hope your headmaster never reads the Ship of Fools

[ 15. August 2013, 13:20: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1/5 of the posts in this thread are from someone who says he's not responding. I'm impressed.

[ 15. August 2013, 13:22: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I reject the meaning that you give to the word homophobia and I reject the allegation of hatred of homosexual people that is implied by its use against me.

Fine, I'll just call you a bigoted fuckwit whose views have no place in civilised society. Happy?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:

Well, I reject all the ridiculous nonsense you spouted in Dead Horses about marriage having changed from what you signed up for 28 years ago. I note that you don't seem to have bothered responding there to all the things that people said in reply, pointing out that you basically have decided that true, holy marriage consists of exactly what was in the laws of England in 1985, blithely ignoring the fact that most of the world didn't have the same laws.

It's that kind of post, bordering on hysterically illogical on your part, that really does make it sound like you're terribly afraid of the end of civilisation as we know it if a few queers are allowed to formally cohabit.

[ 15. August 2013, 13:25: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Fine, I'll just call you a bigoted fuckwit whose views have no place in civilised society. Happy?
Yup, me, the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury and millions of ordinary Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and yes, even gay people, who do not agree with same sex marriage.

I would return your compliment and call you an intolerant denier of freedom of speech.

[Razz]

I suggest that you recognise that there are people with a different view to yours. I suggest you just get over it. Protesting outside a closed church door that people don't agree with you, and that the vicar won't abandon all his beliefs in order to give you what you want and marry you, isn't going to win you the argument.

Neither will standing outside a mosque, synagogue or temple.

[ 15. August 2013, 13:32: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep waiting for someone to drag out the "Hate the sin; love the sinner" routine.

"Hate the sin" = you do things that God hates and will not forgive until you stop doing them.

"Love the sinner" = ... but look at how Christian I am, how full of God's love, because I care for you and will pray for you no matter what."

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Alternatively, Mudfrog, you're obviously of that school of thought that thinks marriage is simply about having official permission to make babies. This happily means that - and I admit I'm making a bit of an assumption here - now that you've finished that task and the young ones have grown up, you and Mrs Mudfrog can part ways. Your duty's done. There's no reason for you to stay together anymore.

What's that? You want to stay together just because you love each other and have a committed relationship? Despite there being no children around?

WELL WHY YOU DON'T YOU GROW A FUCKING PAIR OF BRAIN CELLS AND REALISE THAT YOUR MARRIAGE IS NOW EXACTLY LIKE A GAY ONE, YOU TROGLODYTE MORON?

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amusingly, even on a text-based discussion forum, actions speak louder than words. Thus, even though you might assert that there is a total absence of fear or hatred in your amygdala, by arguing and defending fundamentally homophobic philosophy you functionally plant yourself securely within the borders of homophobia.

Choadchoker.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Alternatively, Mudfrog, you're obviously of that school of thought that thinks marriage is simply about having official permission to make babies. This happily means that - and I admit I'm making a bit of an assumption here - now that you've finished that task and the young ones have grown up, you and Mrs Mudfrog can part ways. Your duty's done. There's no reason for you to stay together anymore.

What's that? You want to stay together just because you love each other and have a committed relationship? Despite there being no children around?

WELL WHY YOU DON'T YOU GROW A FUCKING PAIR OF BRAIN CELLS AND REALISE THAT YOUR MARRIAGE IS NOW EXACTLY LIKE A GAY ONE, YOU TROGLODYTE MORON?

Because your assumption is indeed a false one.

Marriage is, of course the place for bringing children into the world, etc, but it is far more than that. Marriage is all about becoming 'one flesh' and homosexual relationships, not being a union of opposites, cannot be, according to the Bible 'one flesh'. Therefore, whatever else they might be (and I fully and unreservedly recognise civil partnerships) homosexual relationships cannot be marriages.

Not without changing the definition of marriage which does include the potential sexual element of 'one flesh'.

Once you remove the constituent parts of sexual consummation and sexual fidelity as necessary elements to a marriage - which the UK marriage bill does, then it is no longer marriage. And the simple reason that the bill has removed these things, ISTM, is that the committees could not decide after lengthy discussions what constituted homosexual sex.

[ 15. August 2013, 13:41: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the betting Mudfrog wears poly-cotton shirts and eats shellfish?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

No, but I know the difference between moral and ceremonial laws.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marriage is all about becoming 'one flesh' and homosexual relationships, not being a union of opposites, cannot be, according to the Bible 'one flesh'.

They can if you're doing it right.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Amusingly, even on a text-based discussion forum, actions speak louder than words. Thus, even though you might assert that there is a total absence of fear or hatred in your amygdala, by arguing and defending fundamentally homophobic philosophy you functionally plant yourself securely within the borders of homophobia.

Choadchoker.

Interesting.

Sounds very Soviet. Like criticising the government proves I'm insane.

Very medieval too - denying I'm a witch automatically proves that I am one.

There can be no defence therefore, no rational discussion, because whatever I write, even using reasonable words, will automatically be seen as aggression, homophobic hysteria.

So, in your world everyone must agree with you because that is the only loving thing to do. Anyone with a different view, with a differently-informed conscience, with a different view of the bible and theology, is by definition homophobic.

How very tolerant of you.

...see, I can be sarcastic too [Biased]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Marriage is all about becoming 'one flesh' and homosexual relationships, not being a union of opposites, cannot be, according to the Bible 'one flesh'. Therefore, whatever else they might be (and I fully and unreservedly recognise civil partnerships) homosexual relationships cannot be marriages.

Not without changing the definition of marriage which does include the potential sexual element of 'one flesh'.

Once you remove the constituent parts of sexual consummation and sexual fidelity as necessary elements to a marriage - which the UK marriage bill does, then it is no longer marriage. And the simple reason that the bill has removed these things, ISTM, is that the committees could not decide after lengthy discussions what constituted homosexual sex.

Oh wow. Where to begin? With your flimsy Biblical exegesis? Or your wobbly legal understanding?

I'll go with the latter, because I'm on my own professional ground there. As I pointed out to you in Dead Horses - one of the things you haven't replied to - adultery as a ground for divorce hasn't existed in my own country for decades. So you think all marriages conducted in Australia - a country that only has heterosexual marriage - are invalid?

More importantly, the fact that adultery is a ground for divorce does not mean that sexual fidelity is a 'necessary element' of marriage. There are marriages where people can cope with an instance of adultery, whether happily or unhappily. It's only a ground for divorce if someone actually decides to file for divorce.

As for 'one flesh'... I'm sorry, I missed the part in biology class where gay sex always ends up with the bodies remaining separate, but married heterosexual sex causes them to glue together. Gee, maybe it's a metaphor? Maybe the whole passage talks about a partner and doesn't actually mention sex? Maybe when someone talks about being 'completed' by their partner, they're not suggesting that the only time this happens is when a penis and a vagina meet?

I'm fascinated by the whole idea that men and women are 'opposites' but that all men are the 'same' and that all 'women' are the same (readily interchangeable??), thereby meaning that the only way you could possibly be made complete by another person is if they have the right physical plumbing.

Soulmates? Pfft. Who knew that souls had genitals?

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Marriage is all about becoming 'one flesh' and homosexual relationships, not being a union of opposites, cannot be, according to the Bible 'one flesh'. Therefore, whatever else they might be (and I fully and unreservedly recognise civil partnerships) homosexual relationships cannot be marriages.

Oh wow. Where to begin? With your flimsy Biblical exegesis? Or your wobbly legal understanding?

I'll go with the latter, because I'm on my own professional ground there. As I pointed out to you in Dead Horses - one of the things you haven't replied to - adultery as a ground for divorce hasn't existed in my own country for decades. So you think all marriages conducted in Australia - a country that only has heterosexual marriage - are invalid?

More importantly, the fact that adultery is a ground for divorce does not mean that sexual fidelity is a 'necessary element' of marriage. There are marriages where people can cope with an instance of adultery, whether happily or unhappily. It's only a ground for divorce if someone actually decides to file for divorce.

As for 'one flesh'... I'm sorry, I missed the part in biology class where gay sex always ends up with the bodies remaining separate, but married heterosexual sex causes them to glue together. Gee, maybe it's a metaphor? Maybe the whole passage talks about a partner and doesn't actually mention sex? Maybe when someone talks about being 'completed' by their partner, they're not suggesting that the only time this happens is when a penis and a vagina meet?

I'm fascinated by the whole idea that men and women are 'opposites' but that all men are the 'same' and that all 'women' are the same (readily interchangeable??), thereby meaning that the only way you could possibly be made complete by another person is if they have the right physical plumbing.

Soulmates? Pfft. Who knew that souls had genitals?

Theologically and Biblically, 'one flesh' is the union of different sexes.

quote:
Genesis 2:23-24
New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
23 Then the man said,

“This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
this one shall be called Woman,[a]
for out of Man[b] this one was taken.”
24 Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh.

The difference between the genders is what makes the sexual relationship so profound, it is the joining as 'one flesh' of those two different genders. Note, it's not just the joining of two people as in the modern pop music definition of 'two become one.' It has to be complementary - 'mf' become one in a way that 'mm' or 'ff' cannot.

As far as adultery is concerned, I don't think any civil authority has the right to remove adultery from the ten commandments or from the words of Jesus about marriage.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Sorry, I forgot that you get the right to pick and choose but I don't.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Orfeo, that 'opposite' thing confused me too. There is no way that I am the opposite of any living thing. I may be a complement or an adjunct or a friend or a lover or an enemy, but not an opposite.

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
As far as adultery is concerned, I don't think any civil authority has the right to remove adultery from the ten commandments or from the words of Jesus about marriage.

Funnily enough, the ten commandments and the words of Jesus aren't actually enforceable in civil courts.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The difference between the genders is what makes the sexual relationship so profound, it is the joining as 'one flesh' of those two different genders. Note, it's not just the joining of two people as in the modern pop music definition of 'two become one.' It has to be complementary - 'mf' become one in a way that 'mm' or 'ff' cannot.

That's an assertion, not an explanation. To assert that your sex is 'profound' but that gay sex isn't is just incredibly insulting. How would you actually know this? Have you observed a lot of gay sex, and noted its serious lack of profundity? Have you observed any heterosexual sex besides your own?

And again, the idea that somehow complementarity is that simple... do you have ANY idea how ludicrous that sounds? You're treating people like magnets, two poles, either attract or repel. You're reducing all the complexity of human beings and their interactions with each other into a check of what's in their pants.

No other observation or empirical evidence about a relationship counts, apparently. Never mind that 2 guys I was reading about today are both 91 years old and have been together since they were 30, they're just not compatible with each other.

[ 15. August 2013, 14:29: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clearly his gay sex wasn't as profound as when he had a female partner, so he bravely made the choice to be straight unlike all you degenerate freaks.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I reject the meaning that you give to the word homophobia

Actually, the way language works, individuals don't decide the meanings of words. Even in France the Academie has to vote on it.

quote:
I suggest that you recognise that there are people with a different view to yours. I suggest you just get over it.
Ouch! Ouch! Too early in the morning here for the burn of cold irony.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By Vishnu, Mudfrog is a wordy little fucker for someone who claims not to be responding.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Consults crystal ball/

quote:
by Sergius Melli in Dead Horses
... whilst I may have made LGBT rights an issue I campaign about and thereby do not give my time or money to WaterAid, I will do my utmost to ensure that I campaign on every area of LGBT rights and do not just advocate in one small section, hence why if you are going to kick up a fuss about one issue then you need to bring a light to bear, and pressure, upon those other related issues. If you call for a boycott of Russia, call for a boycott of every other place in the world which acts as Russia does or even worse does not give even the minimum of human rights to LGBT peoples.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love it, because I'm a conservative Party member I must be either stupid and suffer some sort of mental disorder of 'Toryism'.

I see Curiosity has had the decency to paste over what I have posted on the other thread which is the point I'm making, if your going to campaign on an issue, do it wholeheartedly campaigning on the whole issue not just one country.

I really can't get worked up enough for Hell, it just isn't in me to do so, and whilst I never intended to play the 'gay card', because that would have been far too easy, I was going to go through the whole bloody setting out of my position so that dimwits can actually understand my point.

And hey, so what if I believe in consensus and trying to reach a common ground with my Brothers and Sisters in Christ? That is my choice and to me much more admirable than sectarianism and the overly schismatic nature of what is generally proposed here. It is a fact of life that people do not agree on issues, and therefore proper dialogue and step-by-step consensus has to be made to ensure that success for the ultimate aims is achieved, I don't just assume that everyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong, they tend to actually have something really important to add to a discussion, but then, that would require having to admit that you don't know everything and that just doesn't seem to fit with the ideology that underpins too many people's philosophy these days.

So yes, I stand by what I said over in DH since it wasn't a statement of my beliefs but actually a statement for you to examine yourselves and consider whether you put just as much effort into boycotting and highlighting those other countries where gay people are actually murdered for who they are, or whether you are just the hypocrites which you come across as Russia is easy pickings but hey we can't say anything about Africa of the Middle East because that would be racism because they are cultures different to our own, or to be honest you don't really care about homophobia across the world, just token supporters when it is convenient and necessary to be so!

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I understand your point. I just don't agree with it. Not least because you've decided that everyone else has to define "the [whole] issue" at exactly the same level of abstraction that you do.

[ 15. August 2013, 15:51: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yup, me, the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury and millions of ordinary Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus and yes, even gay people, who do not agree with same sex marriage.

Indeed.

quote:
I would return your compliment and call you an intolerant denier of freedom of speech.
If fighting against injustice is denying freedom of speech, then I guess so.

After all, telling someone that they can't call my mate Colin a "fucking nigger" is denying their freedom of speech as well, but I doubt anyone here would argue against it.

quote:
I suggest that you recognise that there are people with a different view to yours. I suggest you just get over it. Protesting outside a closed church door that people don't agree with you, and that the vicar won't abandon all his beliefs in order to give you what you want and marry you, isn't going to win you the argument.
I don't give a shit what you do in your church, so long as it fucking stays there. You don't like gay marriage? Fine, don't have one. But don't try to deny others the right to have one if they so choose.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:

The latter are ones you commit, and the former are ones you don't?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reply to Curiosity intercepted by various cross-posts/

Yes but so what? [I see I'm cross posting with S&M] It's just a prettier excuse after he was challenged on this

quote:
As I've already said above, Russia has passed a law, democratically, which is backed by as many as 90% of the Russian population. Surprisingly I respect democracy and therefore respect Russia's right to regulate their citizens behaviour, especially in regards to minors (because lets be clear this is not a law banning homosexuality, merely a law which prevents the presentation of same-sex relationships to minors.)
He goes on in a later post to say the law 'isn't that harmful' and this despite the fact that gay people are already having to leave the country after legal advice that their children could be taken from them by social services, thanks to this law.

It's just a twattish pose so he can have his cake and eat it - both attacking non right-wing human rights driven boycott movements and claiming to still be keen on LGBT human rights.

It's an uncomfortable fact for right-wing LGBTs that until recently when a few of their parties were dragged kicking and screaming into the current century, that they've historically relied on those same human-rights orientated lefties they despise to defend them. So when their parties revert to type and drag their heels on things like boycotts of countries with anti-gay laws, they have to find an excuse for going along with that.

As to the whataboutery, there have been plenty threads over homophobic laws in Africa and nobody around here supports misogynist and anti-gay laws in the middle east (by the way, there's already a boycott campaign from the Gay Football Supporters' Network against the world cup in Qatar. I wonder if after all his noise about 'sharia zones' and picking on Russia if he'll be opposing that boycott too? Or is it somehow OK?).

Mind you though, if he's actually campaigning tirelessly on all fronts I take it he's now going everywhere by horse to make sure his money doesn't go on into any nasty middle eastern pockets and avoiding anything that needed oil for its transport.

Eventually when he's living in a roundhouse made from local stone he's nicked from some farmer's dyke himself, clad only in woad and eating only local turnips bought within walking distance, he will be able with a clean conscience to join a boycott of the Russian Olympics as he'll have successfully boycotted everything else and will be making sure not a single penny goes to any naughty nation.

In the meantime those of us who can't aspire to be so amazingly pure, will get on with doing what we can to make sure world leaders at the head of noxious anti-gay campaigns get the bad PR they deserve when they pop their heads up on the world stage.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Louise, I thought you'd had your point made for you with that post.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Louise, I thought you'd had your point made for you with that post.

Sorry wasn't clear to me what point you were making!

--------------------

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Theologically and Biblically, 'one flesh' is the union of different sexes.

I am not sure that is sufficient as a statement of Biblical attitudes, to be honest.

At risk of huge overgeneralising, the attitude to the sexes in Biblical times was not the same as ours today. There were differences between Hellenic, Roman and Jewish practices and attitudes, but in a very general sense for most ancient cultures there was a residual understanding of sexuality which derived from Hellenic beliefs, and this understanding underpins what the Bible has to say.

The Ancient Greeks regarded a man as the most perfect creature, and a woman as a 'misbegotten' male. Male was the unmarked norm, the benchmark, the perfect, the complete, the active, the strong, the intelligent. Female was the marked, passive, imperfect, unintelligent and incomplete. Women often were not educated, and were kept in seclusion at home, and their lack of education reinforced attitudes that they were not worth regarding as equal to men.

Therefore, it naturally followed that for the Ancient Greeks a relationship between two men was regarded as far more perfect than that between a man and a woman. The latter might be necessary to achieve procreation, but any self respecting Greek would prefer his male friends to his wife. This led in turn to the whole culture of pederasty.

Then we bring in the Roman context. Ancient Romans were in general not impressed with the culture of pederasty, and found it distasteful. Ancient Roman women were regarded with more respect than their Greek sisters, and they were often educated and had more freedom in society. A Roman man could have male friends and lovers if he wanted, but there were conditions. A man could take the active role with anyone and anything, but he could not take the passive or female role. To be passive was unnatural for a man, just as to be active was unnatural for a woman.

This attitude colours much of what we read in the Bible. It is not the lying with a man itself that is condemned, as much as it is the lying with a man as if one were a woman.

Therefore, it is far more complex than just a simple condemnation of same sex activity as we understand it. No ancient society had a concept of gay; it was not needed. Every man could and did choose to do what he liked with whatever he liked, without being labelled. As long as he was the initiator and the actor, he was a man. Women, slaves and boys could be passive; men could not.

A Biblical condemnation would have been just as strongly stated against a wife initiating sex with her husband and taking an active role in love-making, or indeed a married man lying back and letting his wife do all the work. Which Christians today would regard either of these as abominations before the Lord? Yet these are derived from the very same mindset as the 'Biblical' condemnation of same sex activity. What is 'natural' in ancient times is not the same as what is natural to us.

Therefore, without some awareness of the different attitudes to men and women, any comments about same sex activity which are extrapolated onto our own society are likely to result in a very real distortion.

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I don't give a shit what you do in your church, so long as it fucking stays there. You don't like gay marriage? Fine, don't have one. But don't try to deny others the right to have one if they so choose.

That's good. But don't try to force the church to change its mind - not, like those two pampered rich men, take your local parish church to court for not allowing you to have your big theatrical day out on their premises.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:

A Biblical condemnation would have been just as strongly stated against a wife initiating sex with her husband and taking an active role in love-making, or indeed a married man lying back and letting his wife do all the work. Which Christians today would regard either of these as abominations before the Lord? Yet these are derived from the very same mindset as the 'Biblical' condemnation of same sex activity. What is 'natural' in ancient times is not the same as what is natural to us.

Therefore, without some awareness of the different attitudes to men and women, any comments about same sex activity which are extrapolated onto our own society are likely to result in a very real distortion.

Absolute nonsense and with no Biblical authority whatsoever.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
And hey, so what if I believe in consensus and trying to reach a common ground with my Brothers and Sisters in Christ? That is my choice and to me much more admirable than sectarianism and the overly schismatic nature of what is generally proposed here. It is a fact of life that people do not agree on issues, and therefore proper dialogue and step-by-step consensus has to be made to ensure that success for the ultimate aims is achieved, I don't just assume that everyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong, they tend to actually have something really important to add to a discussion, but then, that would require having to admit that you don't know everything and that just doesn't seem to fit with the ideology that underpins too many people's philosophy these days.

Why is it that, when people say they believe in consensus, they never seem to want it with their gay Brothers and Sisters in Christ?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Big Grin]

Is that the best you have to offer?

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Is that the best you have to offer?

In the absence of anything to discuss, yes.
Where in the Biblical record is there any hint of this?

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of those Hell threads that started with competitive invective and is turning into something really interesting.

For example:

1) Mudfrog's defense of the old Thomistic concept of "one flesh." I am recalling Sarah Ruddick and others a generation ago, with their involved efforts to explain why only heterosexual sex (specifically male ejaculation into the vagina) was "complete" -- with everything else "perverted." This was taken seriously in the scholarly world .... and possibly still is(????)

2) The following example of pique -- which tells us more of Mudfrog's personal view of gay marriage than he might like.

quote:
But don't try to force the church to change its mind - not, like those two pampered rich men, take your local parish church to court for not allowing you to have your big theatrical day out on their premises.
Ouch.

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016