homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fucking crypto-homophobes (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking crypto-homophobes
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
But to hold onto the idea of Latin in the church when Latin is no longer capable of being a method of communication for all but a select few is to elevate practice over principle while completely missing what the practice was for. Speaking about the 'universality' of Latin in 2013 is just bewildering, unless I suppose you're talking about the universal incomprehensibility. The world's most widely understood language today is English. That's the modern language that fulfils the function that Latin fulfilled 1500+ years ago.

[Overused]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see that those of us who want our gay marriage to be solmenized in Latin are going to have a hard time all round...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll pay that one.

But as far as I'm concerned you can do it Latin if you want to. Heck, some people get married in Klingon or Quenya. It's the idea that there's something wrong/less desirable about doing it in current vernacular that has me shaking my head.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The Church of England will take 10-20 years, maybe less if they can agree that it be at the Vicar's discretion as with divorcees.

Oh dear, this sounds like compromise and meeting the other side of the debate in a way forwards that is sort of amicable for people who's consciences reach different conclusions to other people...

As has been made clear to me this is not allowed, so please move along with your compromise and take it elsewhere, it is not welcome here...

And Sergius-Melli will be among the last who oppose it in his sense of fraternity with those who oppose it. It will be interesting to see if he joins those who leave the church in opposition to the acceptance of same-sex marriage.
Highly unlikely, since I have spent considerable energy on the issue trying to find relevant avenues to convince every man and his dog under the sun to see that the blessing/marriage of same-sex couples fits into Christian theology and should therefor be done.

I will still be a loyal member of the Anglican Church when others go, in the same way that I am still a loyal Anglican even though some have left over the issue of women's ordination to the Priesthood and Episcopate.

Don't mistake my desire for fraternity with a lack support on an issue since every time you do, you do me, any effort I put into finding a way forwards, and yourself a great disservice in the process.

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Way to completely not answer the point about the Inquisitions and Autos da fé there, IngoB. Feel free to try again.

I thought you were engaging with the question whether the RCC has ever changed her doctrines. I answered concerning that. If you are merely asking whether the Church once considered it justified to kill heretics, and now doesn't, then the answer is 'yes'.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
It is easy to sit in your high chair with your beautiful 'concepts' and be able to judge others by it. The fact that you completely misjudge people and marriage doesn't mean shit to you. As long as you can write your multi-paragraph posts defending your beautiful 'concepts'. I can tell you where to stick those concepts.

I'm an analyst, not a judge. I indeed deal in concepts, including concepts about people, not with people. Obviously errors in analysis can have disastrous consequences in the real world, if applied by lawmakers, statesmen, pastors, ... But I consider this to be a safe place for analysis. It is not a policy clearinghouse of influential people, it is a place of discussion. It is in a good sense academic.

As for the personal judgement of people, how much have you said about what it is like to be IngoB, and how much have I said about what it is like to be LeRoc?

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
My suspicion now is that there are unspoken premises here too far apart to be bridged. One side argues from a world made by God for God. The other argues from a world made by God for humanity.

I agree with the comment about the unspoken premises. However, please note what you are doing next. It is an attempt to say that the opponent is obviously wrong about these premises. The problem with all such discussions is however that opponents are rarely obviously wrong like that. You did not speak the unspoken premises then, you attributed premises that would be convenient for you. The real unspoken premises are hard to isolate, difficult to express and not particularly convenient for arguments. That's why they remain unspoken...

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
But guess what, I'm in the process of getting divorced. Is that because I don't share similar ideals of marriage to you? No. It's because real life is more than concepts.

I'm sorry to hear that. But concepts can be more than ideals, and reliably shape real life if taken seriously. For example, if you were following the concept of RC marriage, then obviously your relationship options after your divorce would be a lot more limited than you presumably think that they are.

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
I'd put up with your concept philosophy a bit more, if you only would step down from your ivory tower of musings every now and then and wallow in the shit of reality like the rest of us.

The amount of shit I wallow in is probably about average. However, I see no reason whatsoever to share that shit in a public internet forum. My private life - good, bad or ugly - is simply none of your business. And I'm not a big believer in a "community" of anonymous avatars either (occasional Shipmeets non-withstanding). If you want to hear about my private life, well, share it some first. Non-electronically, in the flesh, as identifiable person.

quote:
Seriously? You think Latin has special spiritual powers or something?

Not intrinsically, as a specific pattern of sounds, of course. But in people's heads, thanks to history and culture. In your head, as shown by your overly allergic reaction. There aren't just physical realities in this world, and the cultural momentum of Latin in Western culture is still large.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Way to completely not answer the point about the Inquisitions and Autos da fé there, IngoB. Feel free to try again.

I thought you were engaging with the question whether the RCC has ever changed her doctrines. I answered concerning that. If you are merely asking whether the Church once considered it justified to kill heretics, and now doesn't, then the answer is 'yes'.

OK. The church has changed its mind on things. So why would it be such a deal breaker if it changed its mind on this one?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm an analyst, not a judge. I indeed deal in concepts, including concepts about people, not with people. Obviously errors in analysis can have disastrous consequences in the real world, if applied by lawmakers, statesmen, pastors, ... But I consider this to be a safe place for analysis. It is not a policy clearinghouse of influential people, it is a place of discussion. It is in a good sense academic.

Here, then, is the crux of this miserable matter.

It staggers the mind, how you could be—blatantly and unashamedly—so unChristian, to deal with the living, breathing images of God as if we were merely the spiritless bones of your dry analytics.

You, white-washed tomb.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He's not getting why the now rejected moral claim "Killing heretics is justified" is excluded when we examine the claims that "The RCC has never changed," and that "The RCC is a faithful interpreter of moral law." The distinction between "doctrine" and "discipline" looks, to him, I imagine, to be a matter of terribly convenient question begging.

quote:
As for the personal judgement of people, how much have you said about what it is like to be IngoB, and how much have I said about what it is like to be LeRoc?
Well, he's a Protestant. The ignorant rubbish you spew about Protestantism is therefore a statement about what it's like to be LeRoc. If LeRoc is gay, you've stated that he probably doesn't want the holy "classical Catholic marriage" that you want.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

Here, then, is the crux of this miserable matter.

It staggers the mind, how you could be—blatantly and unashamedly—so unChristian, to deal with the living, breathing images of God as if we were merely the spiritless bones of your dry analytics.

You, white-washed tomb.

In the balance of head and heart, this does seem tilted a lot towards head, doesn't it? Not much heart around, yet isn't it heart that moves mountains? By 'heart' I really mean love.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IngoB: As for the personal judgement of people, how much have you said about what it is like to be IngoB, and how much have I said about what it is like to be LeRoc?
I'm in Hell, and I'm going to judge you about what you say here. The people who you judge (if you have a divorce because there's no love anymore then your relationship had no meaning) aren't.

You can stick your academic analysis right where it belongs. Jesus didn't stick to this analysis. He didn't go into 8 paragraph logical discussions about what sin people had committed. He looked at them.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
My suspicion now is that there are unspoken premises here too far apart to be bridged. One side argues from a world made by God for God. The other argues from a world made by God for humanity.

I agree with the comment about the unspoken premises. However, please note what you are doing next. It is an attempt to say that the opponent is obviously wrong about these premises.
First, that this world was made by God is in fact one of the unspoken premises. Personally, I'm in doubt on that matter, but what do I know? I'm merely one slightly more attenuated chimp among the rest of us.

Second, that this world was fashioned either for human beings or for their alleged creator is yet another premise; where have I labeled either one "obviously wrong" as opposed to one with which I agree or disagree? Saying "I can't agree with such-and-such" is a very far cry from stating "Such-and-such is obviously wrong."

One problem here is that you don't seem willing or able to acknowledge that any such distinction exists.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Not intrinsically, as a specific pattern of sounds, of course. But in people's heads, thanks to history and culture. In your head, as shown by your overly allergic reaction. There aren't just physical realities in this world, and the cultural momentum of Latin in Western culture is still large.
But increasingly large numbers of people are utterly oblivious, then you have those with the allergic reaction, then those with other unhelpful reactions - including, possibly, those who think that the use of Latin means they personally are in some way special and can look down on the hoi-polloi who don't appreciate it.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How comforting it must have been to the people killed by the RCC that their hideous, unspeakably painful deaths weren't a matter of doctrine but only of practice. But of course modern scholars, bless their fuzzy little hearts, deny that the auto-da-fey ever existed, apparently. It was all made up by a bunch of nasty, panty-twisted pope-haters.

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Slavonic and Greek liturgies among converts in the Anglophone world are disappearing faster than virgin Catholic choirboys.

As well they fucking should.

Cyril and Methodios (Enlighteners of the Slavs) turn in their graves every single time an Orthodox liturgy is served in a language not understanded of the people.

Agreed, and agreed.

quote:
The fun bit is that your reaction, as uncomprehending and dismissive as it is, is such a neat confirmation of the symbolic power I'm talking about. A mere whiff of Latin, and you go mental, because it is not just another language. Even to you, even now.

You're right, it's not just another language. It's a DEAD language that nobody speaks at the breakfast table. You want to prevent people understanding their own worship for the sake of a jetsetting, put-upon, privileged few who want to be able to not understand the liturgy in every country they visit. DAMMIT YOU FUCKING SPANIARDS, why can't you cater to ME ME ME ME ME in my desire to have the same language in every country?

quote:

There's a Supertramp song for people like you.

quote:
Saying "I can't agree with such-and-such" is a very far cry from stating "Such-and-such is obviously wrong." One problem here is that you don't seem willing or able to acknowledge that any such distinction exists.

I believe you have hit upon the crux of the matter (except the bit about despising all people who aren't carbon copies of himself).

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK. The church has changed its mind on things. So why would it be such a deal breaker if it changed its mind on this one?

Because there is a formal system of what the Church claims to be teachings of Divine truth, and matters of right relationships and sex feature prominently in it, whereas the matter of killing heretics does not. If the Church had authoritatively declared as a principle of faith and morals that God wishes all heretics to be slain, then it would be a "deal breaker" if she now said that one shouldn't do that. But the issue of killing heretics largely has been what we would consider "political" now: a matter of prudent judgement concerning the best way of protecting the common good. That's precisely why the attacks on heretics almost always involved secular authorities. A modern day equivalent could perhaps be seen in anti-terrorism legislation or the "war on drugs". Being a RC Christian was considered to be an integral part of what it meant to be a "good citizen" of the state, and heretics were dealt with as a clear and present danger to "public order". Of course, we see things differently now. But my point is that these killings were not "doctrinal" in the same sense that marriage was and is.

quote:
Here, then, is the crux of this miserable matter. It staggers the mind, how you could be—blatantly and unashamedly—so unChristian, to deal with the living, breathing images of God as if we were merely the spiritless bones of your dry analytics. You, white-washed tomb.

Would it be fair to say that you are not a big fan of analyses?

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Well, he's a Protestant. The ignorant rubbish you spew about Protestantism is therefore a statement about what it's like to be LeRoc. If LeRoc is gay, you've stated that he probably doesn't want the holy "classical Catholic marriage" that you want.

Sure. And if LeRoc wants to spew ignorant rubbish about Catholicism and Catholic marriage, matters that concern me also personally, I will welcome that as contribution to the general debate and proceed to take it apart as the ignorant rubbish that it is. If we avoid discussing all topics that can have personal implications for someone, then nothing will be left to discuss.

The difference is simply that if I make a general point, then you can also refute it in general terms. That is the case whether that general point insult you deeply on a personal level, or leaves you entirely untouched. Whereas if I attack you personally, then you have no choice but to defend yourself in personal terms. I believe in topical discussions you can be expected to deal with the former, within limits, but not the latter. So if I claim that all Protestants are uneducated, then you can answer by providing counter-examples of educated Protestants, and can be expected to deal with having been called uneducated by implication as Protestant. You get your personal satisfaction simply by proving me wrong. But if I call you uneducated, then there's little you can do but protesting your own erudition. That leads to mere insult trading, which is typically not interesting and relevant other than perhaps for the creative use of language.

quote:
Jesus didn't stick to this analysis. He didn't go into 8 paragraph logical discussions about what sin people had committed.

Jesus isn't posting on SoF. I am, however, and so are you.

quote:
Saying "I can't agree with such-and-such" is a very far cry from stating "Such-and-such is obviously wrong."

OK, fine. I made a guess on how one would use your distinction of premises in an argument, and maybe I was wrong. But my actual point remains. And I was pointing out that usually one cannot show the other to be so "obviously wrong".

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IngoB: Jesus isn't posting on SoF.
But shouldn't you, as a self-proclaimed Christian, at least have somewhere in the back of your mind "What did Jesus think about this?" Especially if your treatment of this issue seems to be exactly opposite to His.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When you are talking about physics with a colleague, IngoB, and you have a disagreement with him, I should hope you don't respond, "Well your view is obviously stupid, and you're just too ignorant to know any better. It's that rotten, string theory DNA of yours." You do that sort of thing when you're talking about theology at any rate. Because, it seems, you feel the Ship doesn't count.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I keep repeating it. The strange thing is: I like Catholics. I have a very high respect for them, and for many aspects of the Catholic Church. I've never encountered one who's even remotely like Ingo. I understand that he's a convert, maybe that explains it.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
quote:
But shouldn't you, as a self-proclaimed Christian, at least have somewhere in the back of your mind "What did Jesus think about this?" Especially if your treatment of this issue seems to be exactly opposite to His.
I am not sure what Jesus would make of SoF, actually. Yet we hear of the young Jesus: After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions; and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously." And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?" (Lk 2:46-49) Note that he is not shown praying in his Father's house, nor doing charitable deeds. He is debating matters of faith with the learned. Of course, much of his later activity is also discursive. We hear at least as much about Jesus arguing as about Him praying or doing good, in fact. But then He was mostly acting as a teacher, explaining things and questioning mostly in a Platonic manner. It is before He increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man (Lk 2:52) that we find Him doing something vaguely SoF-like. So perhaps all this is more "what would teen Jesus do". I can live with that.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
I keep repeating it. The strange thing is: I like Catholics. I have a very high respect for them, and for many aspects of the Catholic Church. I've never encountered one who's even remotely like Ingo. I understand that he's a convert, maybe that explains it.
Oh, I wouldn't go that far. I have no doubt that IngoB is a boffo sort of person. It's probably the bee's knees to drink a pint with him or spend an evening playing Dungeons and Dragons. But talking theology with him can really be a pain in the ass.

[ 21. August 2013, 17:37: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
And He sure as hell is lurking.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Here, then, is the crux of this miserable matter. It staggers the mind, how you could be—blatantly and unashamedly—so unChristian, to deal with the living, breathing images of God as if we were merely the spiritless bones of your dry analytics. You, white-washed tomb.

Would it be fair to say that you are not a big fan of analyses?
It would neither be fair, nor would it be correct.

Your analysis is beggared because, as you yourself say, you don't deal with people.

quote:
quote:
Jesus didn't stick to this analysis. He didn't go into 8 paragraph logical discussions about what sin people had committed.

Jesus isn't posting on SoF. I am, however, and so are you.
On that we can both agree. WWJD is is a lame rhetorical strategy and an even weaker theological one. WWJD is never the point. Jesus isn't here. I am. The point is, in light of the Christian Truth, what am I going to do?
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
When you are talking about physics with a colleague, IngoB, and you have a disagreement with him, I should hope you don't respond, "Well your view is obviously stupid, and you're just too ignorant to know any better. It's that rotten, string theory DNA of yours." You do that sort of thing when you're talking about theology at any rate. Because, it seems, you feel the Ship doesn't count.

That must be close to a dozen times now that you have made reference to me attributing a "rotten Protestant core" and "invincible ignorance" to you, on this thread and elsewhere. Unfortunately, I do not really remember where and when I said this, or something like it. But be that as it may: I apologise for what apparently was a grave personal insult, I hope that you can forgive me on this matter and that we can now put it to rest.

This is in no way or form intended to stop you from critiquing me on this thread or elsewhere for other things I say or do. I merely hope to take this particular factor out of the equation.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
The Silent Acolyte: Jesus isn't here. I am.
I'd say that at least two or three are gathered in His name here. In other words: what Kelly said.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
IngoB: Note that he is not shown praying in his Father's house, nor doing charitable deeds. He is debating matters of faith with the learned.
Way to miss the point. I'm not saying that arguing or debating is a bad thing. What I'm saying is that having long arguments about theoretical concepts without looking at the people involved, can be a bad thing.

We don't know what He said while He was a teenager in the Temple. For all we know, He could be arguing with the teachers: "Take your noses out of these beautiful theoretical concepts for a bit, and look through them at the people involved." Which would be rather consistent with His later teaching.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Well, here's the thread in question, IngoB, specifically when the crap about Protestants starts flowing.

"Impenetrable defensive structure." Puh-leeze. The best part is where you diagnose my "problem" as a Protestant, making very personal judgments about my character and beliefs indeed, and when the symptoms predicted by your generalizations turn out to have been completely wrong in my particular case, the new information somehow only confirms your analysis of me even more.

It's the same here on this thread. You make a generalization about homosexuals, contrary evidence is proposed, and yet the generalization and the conclusions drawn from it don't change on bit.

Do you argue like that about physics?

[ 21. August 2013, 19:11: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Gosh, I've loved so many Catholics over the last 50 years, including a number of priests, who I thought were brilliant men, and also humble. When my dad was dying, it was his Catholic neighbour who sat with him every day, and my dad an atheist. Ingo just seems very defensive to me, but well, so am I. I suppose he's also snotty, well ...

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
My understanding is that secular historians tend to argue today that the inquisitions were considerably blackened, as part of anti-Catholic propaganda, and were not as bad as once thought. Indeed, there are even some arguments that the inquisitions were more humane than the secular authorities, and prisoners would try to be moved from the latter to the former.

Snicker. The rebuttal to this would be to burn you at the stake. In a humane fashion of course.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Of course you may chose to term such a complete reversal on the Jewish Deicide as "doctrinal development" but if so, you can also apply that to gay marriage. Fortunately you won't find many early commentators on Gay Marriage that you have to develop away.

For a doctrine to be completely reversed, it has to exist in the first place. I note that your own Wikipedia link states clearly: "Although not part of Christian dogma, many Christians, including members of the clergy, preached that the Jewish people were collectively guilty for Jesus's death." Please note that unlike Protestantism, the RCC has a Magisterium. And however much that Magisterium might get ignored, misrepresented or misinterpreted in RC practice - including by RC clergy - it is ultimately the Magisterium that must reflect any Divine protection of the Truth (or not). Fuck-ups "lower down" are regrettable, but expected.

There is also a long and consistent history of popes speaking out against Christian practical antisemitism, starting with Pope Gregory I in the sixth century AD. See for example here for a summary, note the threat of excommunication. That is not to deny the rampant antisemitism in Europe throughout the ages, which clearly often also had the blessings of local RC clergy. But this cannot be declared simply as the official position of the Church. [/QB]

Well there's the solution for IngoB. They can keep the Magisterium about no gay marriage safely tucked where they kept the no anti-Semitism dogma for a millennia or so. In the mean time the RC clergy can perform same-sex marriage, preach it as a good thing and make polite applause when the pope says no.

As for unchanging RCC dogma there's always Usury
quote:

The First Council of Nicaea, in 325, forbade clergy from engaging in usury (canon 17). At the time, usury was interest of any kind, and the canon merely forbade the clergy to lend money on interest above 1 percent per month (12.7% APR). Later ecumenical councils applied this regulation to the laity.

Lateran III decreed that persons who accepted interest on loans could receive neither the sacraments nor Christian burial.[15] Pope Clement V made the belief in the right to usury a heresy in 1311, and abolished all secular legislation which allowed it. Pope Sixtus V condemned the practice of charging interest as "detestable to God and man, damned by the sacred canons and contrary to Christian charity."

Theological historian John Noonan argues that "the doctrine [of usury] was enunciated by popes, expressed by three ecumenical councils, proclaimed by bishops, and taught unanimously by theologians.

Last I checked, the doctrine of Usury had changed enough to have a Vatican Bank.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The best part is where you diagnose my "problem" as a Protestant, making very personal judgments about my character and beliefs indeed, and when the symptoms predicted by your generalizations turn out to have been completely wrong in my particular case, the new information somehow only confirms your analysis of me even more.

Well put, and that's kinda what he does to everyone. we should just compile all your observations into a "Field Guide to the Rhetorical Habits of the Painfully Entrenched Bingo" and redirect newbies to consult that instead of bothering with him.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:

Don't mistake my desire for fraternity with a lack support on an issue since every time you do, you do me, any effort I put into finding a way forwards, and yourself a great disservice in the process. [/QB]

I mistake your total obstruction of any proposal to move forward discussed on here with "not yet" but what about my brothers who are Christian bigots and similar noises as a lack of support. Giving lip service while attempting to sabotage the discussion of any practical action is in practice a lack of support. But feel free to enumerate your efforts to actually do something. I haven't seen them mentioned in discussion on the ship.

I'm sure that once the people who ignore you and move forward achieve their goals, you'll be happy to step up and say you were making great efforts to find a way to make it happen. You've said as much in your last post.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, for God's sake, in the bowels of Christ INCLUDE. Reach UP. Count your brethren - the ones you deny, refuse, brand - more worthy. The way GOOD Roman Catholics do. Like the sublimely broken Henri Nouwen.

Without contrived obscenities too.

They don't deconstruct to any words of Christ.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
quote:

I think Orfeo would agree it's been trumped by Public Opinion for quite some time now. [Biased]

[ 21. August 2013, 21:23: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think Orfeo would agree it's been trumped by Public Opinion for quite some time now. [Biased]
I still think it's hilarious to posit that I'm allergic to Latin. Let's just ignore questions of context and assume that when orfeo sits down with his box of Vivaldi sacred music CDs and opens up the texts, he breaks into a cold sweat.

EDIT: Mind you, Bach isn't any better with his damn German. Gives me stomach cramps. It's as if he was writing for an audience I'm not part of.

[ 21. August 2013, 22:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
My understanding is that secular historians tend to argue today that the inquisitions were considerably blackened, as part of anti-Catholic propaganda, and were not as bad as once thought. Indeed, there are even some arguments that the inquisitions were more humane than the secular authorities, and prisoners would try to be moved from the latter to the former.

Snicker. The rebuttal to this would be to burn you at the stake. In a humane fashion of course.
I'm just trying to get my head round this. Do you mean that the Catholic Church would rebut those historians who are now saying that the inquisitions were blackened and partly fictionalized? Why would they do that?

So they would burn me at the stake, for decrying the 'black legend'? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

--------------------

Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Don't mistake my desire for fraternity with a lack support on an issue since every time you do, you do me, any effort I put into finding a way forwards, and yourself a great disservice in the process.

I mistake your total obstruction of any proposal to move forward discussed on here with "not yet" but what about my brothers who are Christian bigots and similar noises as a lack of support. Giving lip service while attempting to sabotage the discussion of any practical action is in practice a lack of support. But feel free to enumerate your efforts to actually do something. I haven't seen them mentioned in discussion on the ship.

I'm sure that once the people who ignore you and move forward achieve their goals, you'll be happy to step up and say you were making great efforts to find a way to make it happen. You've said as much in your last post. [/QB]

I actually put in the effort to produce a response, but to be frankly honest the only thing I can really muster to say in reply is 'go fuck yourself'.

I think 6 years of public record sort of puts your comment out...

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm just trying to get my head round this. Do you mean that the Catholic Church would rebut those historians who are now saying that the inquisitions were blackened and partly fictionalized? Why would they do that?

So they would burn me at the stake, for decrying the 'black legend'? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I was not theorizing what those Catholic Church would do. I was responding to your nonsense myself, IngoB has already done his "Well, it really wasn't so many and besides it was usually the secular authority that did it at Church behest" little tap dance earlier in this thread.

Next you're going to tell me why all those Sephardic Jews who loved the humane Inquisition so much suddenly decided to move from Spain to the Netherlands, England, and the Levant. They must have gone for the waters.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
I actually put in the effort to produce a response, but to be frankly honest the only thing I can really muster to say in reply is 'go fuck yourself'.

I think 6 years of public record sort of puts your comment out...

And what a surprise that your actually putting in the effort didn't actually produce any actual tangible result.

If you bothered to read the thread title and the OP and many of the posters here before IngoB started bloviating, you'll note that topic of the thread "Go Fuck Yourself".
It's addressed to you and your six years of public record S-M

Go fuck yourself S-M. Or go lick some homophobic fellow Christian bigot's boots while you cream in your daintily embroidered yet ever so manly frock.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was not theorizing what those Catholic Church would do. I was responding to your nonsense myself, IngoB has already done his "Well, it really wasn't so many and besides it was usually the secular authority that did it at Church behest" little tap dance earlier in this thread.

Next you're going to tell me why all those Sephardic Jews who loved the humane Inquisition so much suddenly decided to move from Spain to the Netherlands, England, and the Levant. They must have gone for the waters.

So you are saying that the idea of the 'black legend' is itself fiction?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Your analysis is beggared because, as you yourself say, you don't deal with people.

I still don't know what you are really getting at. What precisely would you have me do, and how do you expect it to change my analysis?

quote:
The point is, in light of the Christian Truth, what am I going to do?

Yeah, well. Personally I like to apply the light of Christian Truth in homeopathic doses to my life, a bit like a vampire worrying about sunburn. Also, I trust my ability to discern Christian Truth from scratch about as far as I can spit. That's just me though.

quote:
What I'm saying is that having long arguments about theoretical concepts without looking at the people involved, can be a bad thing.

Well? Have a look then and tell us what we haven't considered in these arguments.

quote:
Well, here's the thread in question, IngoB, specifically when the crap about Protestants starts flowing.

Let's just say that I was free-flowing and you were not, as you briefly managed to notice here.

quote:
The best part is where you diagnose my "problem" as a Protestant, making very personal judgments about my character and beliefs indeed, and when the symptoms predicted by your generalizations turn out to have been completely wrong in my particular case, the new information somehow only confirms your analysis of me even more.

You say "completely wrong", I say "spot on", let's call the whole thing off. Seriously though, let's.

quote:
It's the same here on this thread. You make a generalization about homosexuals, contrary evidence is proposed, and yet the generalization and the conclusions drawn from it don't change on bit.

Well, let's just wait until the contrary evidence has turned from a hopeful proposition into a tangible reality. You might just remember that you weren't really able to find fault with my generalization?

quote:
Do you argue like that about physics?

I don't argue much about physics these days. But anyhow, there's little scope for arguments like this in physics. It's mostly applied maths.

quote:
In the mean time the RC clergy can perform same-sex marriage, preach it as a good thing and make polite applause when the pope says no.

Seriously, what's the point of writing something like that?

quote:
As for unchanging RCC dogma there's always Usury ... Last I checked, the doctrine of Usury had changed enough to have a Vatican Bank.

Usury is indeed an interesting case. What changed there is the meaning of money. Basically, modernity developed capitalism. And in capitalism, money itself is expected to work, money earns more money. So if I lend you money but ask for no interest, then actually I'm losing money. Because I could have invested my money elsewhere, and received more money back for my trouble. Interest then becomes (or can become, if appropriate) a just compensation for my losses. Now, this may seem all totally obvious to you. But that's because you are a capitalist (even if you have very little capital). You share that understanding. It was not the understanding of money when the usury rules were developed. Money then was more like a resource, a way of storing abundance. Instead of saving up grain, one was stacking gold coins, but the principle was the same. Then, if I give you some of my saved-up resources for temporary use, why should I expect to get more back? It's not as if I lost anything just because you were holding onto it for a while. If I lend you a coffee cup, because you need one and I have one to spare, then I do not expect to get two coffee cups back. That's the basis of the usury rules, and it is a basis that does not apply any longer because we don't do money that way anymore.

Anyway, there are some rather fascinating studies on this on the net, as I remember from the last time I looked.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
IngoB, for God's sake, in the bowels of Christ INCLUDE. Reach UP. Count your brethren - the ones you deny, refuse, brand - more worthy. The way GOOD Roman Catholics do. Like the sublimely broken Henri Nouwen.

I've seen how you include, Martin. I want no part of it.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:

Anti-catholics in various times and places created exaggerations of the duration and times of Catholic persecution of Jews, Moors, unreified homosexuals and protestants. Certainly Catholics in the nineteenth century in the US were treated badly and assumed to be as toxic as their predecessors.

That's not to say these acts didn't occur or were "humane" or insignificantly trivial in number. People were tortured, killed, forced to convert or handed over to an obedient secular state to do the same.
They may have been late in coming but the apologies by John Paul II were not the errors of someone who wasn't as smart as IngoB. When you start getting arguments like "the humane inquisition" you are witnessing bullshit scholarship by people who are impressed with their own cleverness.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

Anti-catholics in various times and places created exaggerations of the duration and times of Catholic persecution of Jews, Moors, unreified homosexuals and protestants. Certainly Catholics in the nineteenth century in the US were treated badly and assumed to be as toxic as their predecessors.

That's not to say these acts didn't occur or were "humane" or insignificantly trivial in number. People were tortured, killed, forced to convert or handed over to an obedient secular state to do the same.
They may have been late in coming but the apologies by John Paul II were not the errors of someone who wasn't as smart as IngoB. When you start getting arguments like "the humane inquisition" you are witnessing bullshit scholarship by people who are impressed with their own cleverness.

Has anyone mentioned the 'humane inquisition'? I don't recollect that. My point was that some historians have argued that in some countries the inquisitions could be more humane than the secular authorities. One reason for this, is that the secular powers might treat heresy as treason, the punishment for which could be severe. The inquisitions often prescribed penance, although of course, they could and did use torture, and handed people over to be executed.

I've never come across a historian who said that the inquisitions were OK; but some of them have argued that their history was heavily propagandized, as part of Protestant and patriotic (and anti-Spanish) rhetoric. Hence, the 'black legend', which seems to have endured for centuries, and of course, still exists in the popular imagination (well, I think it does).

But of course, historians have been able to actually study the detailed notes and minutes of the inquisitions themselves.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
IngoB: Well? Have a look then and tell us what we haven't considered in these arguments.
You've dismissed people who have divorced as people who are in just any relationship without binding force who will just dump eachother.

What you haven't considered is that there are people here. People who love, who struggle, who give it all they got, who go until the last bit.

But of course, people aren't of the slightest interest to you. They are just objects that you can judge on the basis of your beautiful 'concepts'.

Protecting these concepts is of the utmost important to you. Even if it goes at the cost of people who get hurt in the process.

In Jesus' time, they brought people to him, with all kinds of beautiful concepts about sin and how they deserved it. I'm sure that they could defend these concepts in brilliant eloquent multi-paragraph posts with splendid logic if they had access to a resource like the Ship. Heck, I'm sure that you could too.

Jesus instead looked at the person.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes I think some Christian sects have the same relationship with Jesus that American Republicans do with Ronald Reagan. They are happy to use him as a figurehead, but would not welcome a person with his policies into the current organisation.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Has anyone mentioned the 'humane inquisition'? I don't recollect that. My point was that some historians have argued that in some countries the inquisitions could be more humane than the secular authorities. One reason for this, is that the secular powers might treat heresy as treason, the punishment for which could be severe. The inquisitions often prescribed penance, although of course, they could and did use torture, and handed people over to be executed.

I've never come across a historian who said that the inquisitions were OK; but some of them have argued that their history was heavily propagandized, as part of Protestant and patriotic (and anti-Spanish) rhetoric. Hence, the 'black legend', which seems to have endured for centuries, and of course, still exists in the popular imagination (well, I think it does).

But of course, historians have been able to actually study the detailed notes and minutes of the inquisitions themselves.

So, the inquisitions in some countries were not OK but they were exaggerated by later historians to be bad and in some countries they were not so bad? Is that your point?

I have on occasion in the past read snippets of the tortures. I don't have the stomach to research this thoroughly.
I think in some countries (e.g. Spain) they did very bad things to people. You may try to trivialize it (not so many documented cases, and they handed the victims over to the secular state to kill them in an agonizing fashion) but I find this type of argument despicable. I also think there's ample historical evidence of how the people they were treating reacted such as flight and Marranos (crypto Jews) to belie the picture of the not so bad Inquisition.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kinda like saying, the various 20C. pograms killed fewer people than previously thought, so therefore not so bad?

[ 22. August 2013, 01:48: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Usury is indeed an interesting case. What changed there is the meaning of money. Basically, modernity developed capitalism. And in capitalism, money itself is expected to work, money earns more money. So if I lend you money but ask for no interest, then actually I'm losing money. Because I could have invested my money elsewhere, and received more money back for my trouble. Interest then becomes (or can become, if appropriate) a just compensation for my losses.

In other words, everybody else is doing it so it's now okay if we do as well?

Wow. Just... wow. What amazing moral leadership in THAT area. You basically just offered a justification that was all about keeping up with the secular Joneses.

[ 22. August 2013, 01:53: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ingo--

quote:
quote:
This is fighting the wrong fight. There are many threats to marriage. Homosexuality isn't one of them.

That is naive. Homosexuality is the contemporary issue which is driving the civil conception of marriage further away from what the Church considers to be the true and right conception of marriage. One does not have to agree with the Church to see that.

{snip}

But to declare that accepting homosexuality concerning marriage is no threat to marriage as conceived by the Church is obviously wrong.

That's bizarre. Straight marriage was in deep trouble lonnnnnnng before the marriage-equality struggles of the last few decades. Your version is like complaining when birds nest in the ruins of a castle. The birds ain't the problem.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
You say "completely wrong", I say "spot on", let's call the whole thing off. Seriously though, let's.
That would be calling the whole thing off with you claiming to know more about my own personal perspective as a Protestant than me.

Which is stupid, and consequently is the sort of behavior you're being raked over the coals for here. It's not, it so happens, the rational exposition of ideas you claim to solely engage in either.

quote:
Well, let's just wait until the contrary evidence has turned from a hopeful proposition into a tangible reality. You might just remember that you weren't really able to find fault with my generalization?
I remember no such thing. I said I know people who directly contradict it. One in particular is more tangible than the others, because I greatly dislike him. But that's another matter entirely.

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Usury is indeed an interesting case. What changed there is the meaning of money. Basically, modernity developed capitalism. And in capitalism, money itself is expected to work, money earns more money. So if I lend you money but ask for no interest, then actually I'm losing money. Because I could have invested my money elsewhere, and received more money back for my trouble. Interest then becomes (or can become, if appropriate) a just compensation for my losses.

In other words, everybody else is doing it so it's now okay if we do as well?

Wow. Just... wow. What amazing moral leadership in THAT area. You basically just offered a justification that was all about keeping up with the secular Joneses.

Look on the bright side - if IngoB's correct, then maybe when the RCC's rejection of same-sex marriage starts costing it money, it'll eventually discover that the meaning of marriage can change just like the meaning of money did...
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
quote:

I still don't know what you are really getting at. What precisely would you have me do, and how do you expect it to change my analysis?
Which returns us, again, to the original fuck you, though I have accepted the suggestion that whitewashed tomb is the more apt epithet.
quote:
Originally posed by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
If gays really want to do something like marrying, and not just adopt the sad shell that civil law has made of marriage, then they need to stop having sex until they get married, stick with that one sex partner till death after having married, and look into adopting several kids during their relationship. Who knows, maybe lots of gays are interested in that, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Fuck you.
Here you haul out this scurrilous, false smear about sexually dissolute gay men. It is tangential to your actual argument so you can easily disavow it, but it is still a convenient salvo in your broadside.

It's like calling 20th-century Africa-Americans shiftless and lazy.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016