homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fucking crypto-homophobes (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking crypto-homophobes
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ACR - I'm delighted to see you back on the Ship but please GET OUT OF HELL! It isn't the right place for anyone who is bruised by life.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anglo Catholic Relict:

A Catholic last November in Seattle goes to a Catholic church where he or she hears a sermon directing them to vote against the amendment permitting gay marriage. They apply this teaching vote accordingly.

A. Should this Catholic be despised and vilified as a homophobe for applying a homophobic teaching?

B. Should this Catholics homophobic actions be condoned because they're struggling against the appalling teachings of their church?

In this thread I've heard you make statements that could support both positions.

In response to "Religion is no excuse for bigotry " You said "Indeed Not."

Earlier you wrote

"I do not think that faithfulness to Roman Catholic teaching constitutes being homophobic.

Some of the teachings themselves may well qualify, but a devout Catholic trying to find a way to accept those teachings (as he or she must) without hurting anyone around them (as they also must) is to be pitied, not vilified, imo."

Again in this case and the others I cited, they did actions which hurt people. Specifically Gay people who wanted to get married.

Note A is a specific condemnation of specific Catholics who have tried to prevent gay people from getting married. So the fact you don't want to impose a moral standard does not mean they aren't trying to do so.

So which is it ACR? A or B? Every time I bring focus to this point up you do a chewbacca defense and ignore the question.

So, A or B?

[ 24. September 2013, 23:29: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:

The vast majority of ordinary, everyday Catholics are NOT homophobic in any way whatever, and do nothing to promote hostility towards gay people, or to support their oppression.

I know it's different where you are, ACR, but the above statement is not true in the States. A bum-in-pew American Catholic may be as kind as anything to individual gays, but if they pledge money to the Catholic Church, they're financially supporting a powerful political lobby which affects all Americans. It's not worth much to be polite to your gay neighbors when your money is being used to stop them marrying each other.
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're doing our damnedest to persuade ACR against reading anything in Hell, let alone responding to anything in Hell, for his/her own good and what happens?

Thanks Pal.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Invictus_88
Shipmate
# 15352

- Posted      Profile for Invictus_88     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:

The vast majority of ordinary, everyday Catholics are NOT homophobic in any way whatever, and do nothing to promote hostility towards gay people, or to support their oppression.

I know it's different where you are, ACR, but the above statement is not true in the States. A bum-in-pew American Catholic may be as kind as anything to individual gays, but if they pledge money to the Catholic Church, they're financially supporting a powerful political lobby which affects all Americans. It's not worth much to be polite to your gay neighbors when your money is being used to stop them marrying each other.
On the contrary, it is the most worthwhile thing to be loving toward those who have sexual attractions toward their own sex. How is loving one's neighbour ever "not worth much"?
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Invictus_88:
On the contrary, it is the most worthwhile thing to be loving toward those who have sexual attractions toward their own sex. How is loving one's neighbour ever "not worth much"?

I think the point is that there is very little that is "loving" about being nice to someone's face then using your money to support their persecution. Though judging from your phrasing I suspect you choose to pretend that gay people don't really exist...
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

- Posted      Profile for VDMA   Email VDMA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Arethosemyfeet,

I agree with your opinion, though not with the tactless way in which you put it.

Since I was 11 or 12, I've had homosexual urges. I attribute it to childhood trauma, abuse, and neglect, not to anything genetic. Since I converted to Christianity over a period of time from 2009-2011, I've been desperately trying to combat the urges and desires. It's an uphill battle, and I don't appreciate a bunch of silly straight liberals trying to be compassionate about something they do not understand. Equally, I do not appreciate a bunch of emasculated men claiming that what they celebrate is natural or good. We do not have any reason to recognize homosexuality in the legal system. It's absolutely disgusting.

People who meet me are convinced that I'm a homophobe after listening to a few of my jokes. It's very funny to see their reaction if I decide to make my problems known. "But... how can you be conservative?" "But... how can you be a Christian?" It's amusing how many wet blankets there really are out there.

--------------------
Des Christen Herz auf Rosen geht, wenn's mitten unterm Kreuze steht.

Feel free to visit the Anglican Forums: http://forums.anglican.net/

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've shown yourself to be a vile person in just 8 posts, VDMA.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

- Posted      Profile for VDMA   Email VDMA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Why is that, Zach?

Is it because I am gay but not a "nice", touchy-feely sort? Is it because I dislike liberals pretending to be Christians?

You don't have to hunt down all my posts just to insult me.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't generally win you a lot of friends to work out your hatred of yourself on complete strangers.

You might want to review the 10 Commandments of the Ship before posting further.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VDMA:
We do not have any reason to recognize homosexuality in the legal system. It's absolutely disgusting.

What do you mean by 'recognise'? Would you accept that homosexual acts between consenting adults ought to be decriminalised?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

Zach,

You're actually right. I am a vile person. Only by recognizing this am I able to receive the grace of Christ who died for all sinners like me. It doesn't mean I will be any less serious. This is who I am. Expressing your personality is not a violation of the rules, especially when you don't actually call people "jerk" or "vile".

Maybe I need to review the rules again, but "self-hating homophobe" isn't a hateful "-ism" as far as I can tell.

Do you belong to one of the Mainlines? It seems to make sense, because you assume that a gay person who is critical of the homosexual-identity is self-hating. Mainline cultures seem to like this kind of condescension - or 'crypto-homophobia', as the O.P. calls it.

If you're not Mainline, I apologize for assuming it. Peace to your heart.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
We do not have any reason to recognize homosexuality in the legal system. It's absolutely disgusting.

What do you mean by 'recognise'? Would you accept that homosexual acts between consenting adults ought to be decriminalised?
Anglican't,

By 'recognise', I mean giving tax incentives for gay marriage, allowing non-celibate gays to adopt from state-run/sponsored orphanages, etc.

Just as a sort of warning: I think it is wrong for governments to give any kind of incentive for people to do anything in spheres like this (except to Not Murder, Not Steal, etc.)! Marriage, 'sexual rights', etc., should be totally private. Each soul is saved or damned based on individual choice, and the state shouldn't have a thing to do with it. To make it into a public issue merely puts the immorality of many into the limelight.

[ 28. September 2013, 20:57: Message edited by: VDMA ]

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
VDMA: I mean giving tax incentives for gay marriage
I can just imagine someone thinking: "I'm strait but hey, we're talking about a couple of grand here..."

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

quote:
[Roll Eyes]

Well, okay then.

Anyway, on topic:

Gays are people - just broken ones, like all people. It's a specific disorder that we deal with, like someone else deals with drug addiction, alcoholism, masturbation, temper, or an urge to thieve.

This sub-forum certainly lives up to its name!

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
VDMA: I mean giving tax incentives for gay marriage
I can just imagine someone thinking: "I'm strait but hey, we're talking about a couple of grand here..."
[Razz] Just for clarity's sake: tax incentives for anything are generally wrong. You're literally stealing from Party A to compel Party B to do something that Party A probably hates. It's not even an essential thing, either, such as protection of innocent lives. Homosexual disorder is a very sad state to be in, even for those who don't realize it. I am sad that it was taken off the DSM IV.

[ 28. September 2013, 21:10: Message edited by: VDMA ]

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, to clarify, you don't think there should be any state involvement when a man marries a woman?

___

I hadn't thought that taking meth and having a wank were comparable, but there you go.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has somebody set up a Troll Placement Bureau on t'interweb?

Do you think they check us out first, like when they're re-homing kitties? Are there plenty of places for it to play? Will we look after it and feed it regularly?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

Do you think they check us out first, like when they're re-homing kitties? Are there plenty of places for it to play? Will we look after it and feed it regularly?

Assuming he doesn't burn off his snitty bullshit soon, he won't be around long. Then some other board will get him.

--------------------

VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

quote:
So, to clarify, you don't think there should be any state involvement when a man marries a woman?
Inspired by the Book of Common Prayer, I answer this way:

"DEARLY beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this congregation, to join together this Man and this Woman in holy Matrimony; which is an honourable estate, instituted of God in the time of man's innocency, signifying unto us the mystical union that is betwixt Christ and his Church"

Whenever the Church tries to ingratiate itself with the state, or the state attempts to subsume the Church in itself, the Gospel is perverted or destroyed. State-church separation is absolutely essential. Since marriage is a sacrament instituted by God for the union of one man and one woman, there's really no point in the state recognizing it - except to control the population better.

Think about it: what, in matrimony, particularly needs the government? It's spiritual and private. If two men or two women want to pretend they're married, let them do it in their own church. If a man and a woman want to get married, let them do it in their own church. It's deplorable that the secular sphere has taken Christian marriage and made it into a debate issue.

quote:
I hadn't thought that taking meth and having a wank were comparable, but there you go.
Not sure what you mean by that. [Frown]

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from the touchy-feeling aspects we a wont to apply, marriage is almost purely a socio-legal contract. That is why a state-sanctioned marriage license is required for the full benefits of marriage, and a voodoo/church/coven/crypt ceremony is not.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Aside from the touchy-feeling aspects we a wont to apply, marriage is almost purely a socio-legal contract. That is why a state-sanctioned marriage license is required for the full benefits of marriage, and a voodoo/church/coven/crypt ceremony is not.

On the contrary: marriage is a spiritual, private, personal contract between two people.

It seems like we're at an impasse: either you choose the World's view of marriage, or God's definition.

What is it: sacrament, or socio-legal contractual obligation?

The state exists to keep order, not to enforce tired 1960's marxist-feminist philosophy.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

Not certain if it is a bored, 15 year old troll or a sad, to be pitied, but earnest person.
But let's play with it 'til it breaks!

quote:
State-church separation is absolutely essential.

Agreed.
quote:

Since marriage is a sacrament instituted by God for the union of one man and one woman,

Hmmm, then why did it take the early Christian church a few hundred years to seriously get into the act?
quote:

Think about it: what, in matrimony, particularly needs the government? It's spiritual and private.

Spiritual? So atheists cannot marry? What of agnostics, perhaps they must remain only engaged until they make up their spiritual minds?
Some Buddhist traditions are considered spiritual, so they get the nod? Though Buddhism oft considers marriage to be a civil thing. Obviously spiritual are Hindu, Muslim, Bahá'í, oh wait. They are all going to Hell regardless, so it does not matter.

quote:

If two men or two women want to pretend they're married, let them do it in their own church.

Oh goody! We can set up pretend churches and have pretend flowers and pretend cake and just pretend this is not complete rubbish.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It seems like we're at an impasse: either you choose the World's view of marriage, or God's definition.

Oh, I choose God's definition, definitely.

I just don't think you speak for God.

Sorry, pumpkin. I know you're absolutely crushed a stranger on the Internet doesn't recognize your divinity, but I'm sure one day you will get over it.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
marriage is a spiritual, private, personal contract between two people.

Or, in some traditions with arranged marriages, a contract between their parents.

Your devotion to one very narrow definition of marriage popularized in Victorian era romantic novels is amusing. Even the bible is pretty blasé about it, with many un-critical mentions of polygamy and harems.

The only impasse is between people who blithely cling to opinions they were told to have, and those who actually think about what things really mean and how to make the world better.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

Spiffy,

quote:
Oh, I choose God's definition, definitely.

I just don't think you speak for God.

I do not claim to speak for God; God forbid! That's why I quoted the BCP, and might've quoted the Bible... or any marriage formula written by a Christian denomination for about 1 900 years. I tried to speak from the consensus of our ancestors in faith, not from my own authority.

quote:
Sorry, pumpkin. I know you're absolutely crushed a stranger on the Internet doesn't recognize your divinity, but I'm sure one day you will get over it.
Don't worry; it takes a lot more than condescendingly calling someone "pumpkin" to crush a human spirit.

What a horrible, patronizing attitude. Even if yo think someone is wrong or even a troll, that's no reason to treat them like a puppy. Deplorable and pitiful.

lilBuddha,

quote:
Not certain if it is a bored, 15 year old troll or a sad, to be pitied, but earnest person.
But let's play with it 'til it breaks!

"It"? Is a human being just a kitty? Troll or not, I'm still a Person with an immortal soul. To speak of anyone like that is disgusting. Sorry that I disagree with your spirituality, but I'm not an animal.

It's funny that people hate "trolls" so much they feel free to troll in return.

quote:
Hmmm, then why did it take the early Christian church a few hundred years to seriously get into the act?
Do you think the earliest Fathers never presided over a Christian marriage?

quote:
Spiritual? So atheists cannot marry? What of agnostics, perhaps they must remain only engaged until they make up their spiritual minds?
Some Buddhist traditions are considered spiritual, so they get the nod? Though Buddhism oft considers marriage to be a civil thing. Obviously spiritual are Hindu, Muslim, Bahá'í, oh wait. They are all going to Hell regardless, so it does not matter.

1. Yes, spiritual.
2. Atheists, agnostics, etc., may perform a sort of imitation of divine matrimony, but it's just a ritual, not a thing of power.
3. I never said any of those people are automatically going to Hell.

It's interesting that you assume I'm a sort of fundamentalist wacko who condemns everyone that isn't white, straight, and whatever else. You don't know anything about me. You're judging as quickly as the Pharisees that you seek to condemn - hating with as much hatred as those who appear to hate.

quote:
Oh goody! We can set up pretend churches and have pretend flowers and pretend cake and just pretend this is not complete rubbish.
Sarcasm? I didn't really expect this.

By "their own church", I meant "let them convince their denomination to do it". Facts are facts; we live in the times in which we live.

RooK:

quote:
Or, in some traditions with arranged marriages, a contract between their parents.

Your devotion to one very narrow definition of marriage popularized in Victorian era romantic novels is amusing. Even the bible is pretty blasé about it, with many un-critical mentions of polygamy and harems.

I'm not a Victorian. That stodgy, horrible era was an utter moral vacuum.

The Old Testament does not say "go on, have lots of wives" - it reports facts about pretty immoral kings which God used to forward the foundation of salvation. The New Testament is quite adamant in its marriage-covenant theology.

quote:
The only impasse is between people who blithely cling to opinions they were told to have, and those who actually think about what things really mean and how to make the world better.
I don't mean to boast, I guess, but you are completely wrong if that second paragraph is directed at me. I was raised by the most liberal, radical atheists anyone can meet. Absolutely no sense or idea of religion at all for 20+ years. I have not been told to have any of these opinions. It takes people like us many long years of serious discernment and hard mental fighting to get to this stage, and we often remain unsure of many things.

The fact that I'm even posting in this Hellish forum is because I like to have my ideas challenged so they can be perfected by the grace of God. We are all gifts to one another in that sense.

To Everyone: try not to troll the supposed troll. It's terribly hypocritical.

[ 28. September 2013, 22:19: Message edited by: VDMA ]

--------------------

VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

You know what? I have decided that I have been too proud and arrogant in posting here. It is my fault for being too stubborn and angry against those who disagree with me. I will stop posting in Hell until I have dealt with my own anxiety problems, and am able to speak from a state of peace in the heart.

Please forgive me.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(x-post note) Hmmh, if you are serious, VDMA, post in Dead Horses. There, ideas are debated but people are not allowed to be attacked.

quote:

The fact that I'm even posting in this Hellish forum is because I like to have my ideas challenged so they can be perfected by the grace of God. We are all gifts to one another in that sense.

To Everyone: try not to troll the supposed troll. It's terribly hypocritical.

Its on the lintel. We do not need to play nice here. Funny, you will find many of the discussions lean Purgatorial, but this is not necessary. This is not Purgatory with swearing. You come to this board when Dead Horses has plenty of stables set aside for reasonable discussion of this very topic. You post as if you have not read, or have disregarded, not only the text on the main page of Hell, but the name of this very thread and you expect courtesy?
You post that which is hateful, regardless intent, and expect respect?
Laughable.

Back to your arguments. Your recite the Book of Common prayer. A book written in the infancy of a religion started by a man who treated marriage in a predatory manner, hardly consistent with the supposed Christian Ideal.
As for the early Christians "fathers"; Paul, one of the very earliest, thought marriage only for those who had not the self-control to keep it in their tunics. Hardy a divine sacrament.
There are many examples of polygamous heroes in the bible, and whilst some were taken to task for bad behaving badly, multiple wives was not one of those deeds.

[ 28. September 2013, 23:11: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This sub-forum certainly lives up to its name!

Yep.

As the presiding gay of this sub-forum, who suffered no abuse or trauma in his childhood and grew up in a very nice home, thank you, (and who spent years trying to be 'cured' before realising the idea of a cure was totally fucked up) I'd like to welcome you.

As has been said, if you want serious debate about homosexuality, Dead Horses is the place to go.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You know what? I have decided that I have been too proud and arrogant in posting here. It is my fault for being too stubborn and angry against those who disagree with me. I will stop posting in Hell until I have dealt with my own anxiety problems, and am able to speak from a state of peace in the heart.

Please forgive me.

smartest decision you've made all day.

never ever ever bring your "issues" to Hell.

unless, of course, your "issue" is a need to verbally mince the liver of anyone you disagree with* and you relish their attempts to eviscerate in return. Then you're cool. Hey, it's been working for me for years.

* or, you know, understanding friends who occasionally bait you 'cause they know you just need to lance the wound. I loves youse guys.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

He'll be back. We all know it. We should take this time to think about what his hell call will be titled. I propose "VDMA: Let's poke this pimple til he pops."

--------------------

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or "what does VDMA stand for?" (My vote is for Venereal Disease Marketing Association...)

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

VerkehrsmittelsDeutschlands, MAinz?

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's new. He bowed out semi-gracefully after realizing this wasn't the place for him. Delusional or not, he's still an apprentice, so I think it's a sign of being a little useless shit to jeer him as he walks off the field.

Not that you guys aren't already well established as petty little shits; just making an observation.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Why is that, Zach?

Is it because I am gay but not a "nice", touchy-feely sort? Is it because I dislike liberals pretending to be Christians?

You don't have to hunt down all my posts just to insult me.

I am gay myself and I have celibate gay friends who would never say that because they are celibate, that no protections in law should be given to gay people or that it's "disgusting"
Indeed, I have found much intolerance in the secular gay world and that is deplorable but you are really not making a good case for gay celibate Christians by your aggressive "attack dog " stance either

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Puhleeze. He flounced off because, after calling homosexuals "disgusting," he feels we are calling him mean names. He hasn't actually apologized for shit, indeed he's only argued about how polite and upright he's been this whole time.

--------------------

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Puhleeze. He flounced off because, after calling homosexuals "disgusting," he feels we are calling him mean names. He hasn't actually apologized for shit, indeed he's only argued about how polite and upright he's been this whole time.

Well, to his credit , it wasn't an angry "flounce " He took responsibility for his actions and good for that

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zach, for someone who sometimes expresses a disdain for the mechanics of Hell, you're doing a damn fine job of wallowing in its excesses.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I should think it would delight you, orfeo, that I've seen the light.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Well, you would think wrong in this particular context.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Orfeo, you go our of your way to point out my hypocrisy every time I post in hell, and seem to be nursing a grudge about an argument we had like a year ago, and you are criticizing me for a mere afternoon of indignation for a guy that says things like

quote:
originally posted by VDMA:
"When whole denominations ordain women, tolerate & celebrate gay marriage, practice biblical higher criticism, and generally play around with the faith, they do not deserve the respect of others being "nice" to them."

Gimme a break.

[ 29. September 2013, 04:15: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zach, he gave a fairly decent apology and withdrew himself from the conversation. I think we should take him at his word until we have reason not to. Yes, I disagree with his beliefs about homosexuality and think they are harmful and offensive. But I think we should cut him some slack based on his apparent self reflection and we-have-no-reason-to-think-it-isn't-sincere apology.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Zach, he gave a fairly decent apology and withdrew himself from the conversation. I think we should take him at his word until we have reason not to. Yes, I disagree with his beliefs about homosexuality and think they are harmful and offensive. But I think we should cut him some slack based on his apparent self reflection and we-have-no-reason-to-think-it-isn't-sincere apology.

I suppose you are right.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Orfeo, you go our of your way to point out my hypocrisy every time I post in hell, and seem to be nursing a grudge about an argument we had like a year ago, and you are criticizing me for a mere afternoon of indignation for a guy that says things like

quote:
originally posted by VDMA:
"When whole denominations ordain women, tolerate & celebrate gay marriage, practice biblical higher criticism, and generally play around with the faith, they do not deserve the respect of others being "nice" to them."

Gimme a break.
...That's me taken care of. What about the other 4 people who have said much the same thing to you?

The only reason it was about you was because you're the one who wouldn't let go of the bone even after multiple hints that now might be a good time to let go.

It's very nice of you to pay attention when Mousethief points it out to you.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's just relocated to Dead Horses where he's in a thread about LGBT people being denied communion.
He's interesting as a hybrid; he seems to identify as GBLT but thinks it's a sin. Usually the "I'm a sinner" sorts don't think of themselves as gay; hence the term "ex-gay:.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
He's just relocated to Dead Horses where he's in a thread about LGBT people being denied communion.
He's interesting as a hybrid; he seems to identify as GBLT but thinks it's a sin. Usually the "I'm a sinner" sorts don't think of themselves as gay; hence the term "ex-gay:.

Isn't this what orfeo has said his life was like for many years? Hey orfeo, am I remembering right what you have said?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Yes, pretty much.

The thoughts aren't unusual. Perhaps openly expressing them on a message board rather than keeping them to oneself is a bit unusual.

You get more 'ex-gays' in public because they're the ones who claim to have won.

[ 29. September 2013, 05:47: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:

I had a very brief period like that myself in my youth. According to the kid's profile, the kid's a, well, kid. Poor dear. Needs prayers.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

When I was wandering through the closet, gay had a positive political connotation. Homosexual (or possibly sodomite) could have a more negative context.
It's interesting that gay has subsumed much of the territory of the other labels even for the "homosexuality is bad" group.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking. I know that I should leave that to Admins/Hosts, but this is not meant as junior hosting. There was a strange Canadian about 18 months or 2 years ago, who flashed past like a meteorite. Perhaps he (I think it was he) was i fact a comet with a relatively short period, or a person with very Buddhist powers of reincarnation, quite at odds with the professed con-ego beliefs.

And the Shipname. As someone has pointed out in one of the threads, VDMA refers to a German engineering federation. Reverse the letters and AMDV can refer to some computer activity I can't follow. It could be an acronym for Ad Majoram Dei Victoriam - to the greater victory of God.

If this is junior hosting, I apologise.

[ 29. September 2013, 09:59: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, whatever Venereal's credentials are, his view that Anglicans and Lutherans worldwide should get together on the basis that both are a bunch of non-Christian fag hags deserves a hearty "fuck you".

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016