homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fucking crypto-homophobes (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking crypto-homophobes
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
They can call themselves 'married' but when they ask each other 'what has changed since we got 'married' in the registrars office?' The answer will be - nothing. They just have a different certificate to enshrine exactly the same legal rights they had when they were civil partners.

Do you refuse to refer to a mixed-sex couple who get 'married' in a registry office as anything other than 'civilly partnered'?
No, they are married because they have taken marriage vows that accord with the understanding of what marriage is that we accept - basically: one man and one woman in a voluntary union for life to the exclusion of all others.

Which is, of course, the definition that has been handed down by the church and accepted in civil marriages until now.

[ 16. August 2013, 12:24: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
missed the edit window - to be clear when I say in my third last para "the figure drops below the overall 20%" - that's the overall for 'strongly opposed', not all degrees of opposition.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another question (possibly slightly related) that came into my mind, which is:

Even if you don't agree with same-sex marriages, and don't hold them to be the same as opposite-sex ones... would it not be a nice gesture to offer them anyway? It could act as a small apology for the whole 'centuries of oppression' thing, assuming anybody actually feels any iota of shame about that.

I'm not thinking of the RC where there is an issue of Sacramental validity, but for most other churches...? Wouldn't it be a good witness for the Church to offer a concession it doesn't want to make, just for once in its existence?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:

Even if you don't agree with same-sex marriages, and don't hold them to be the same as opposite-sex ones... would it not be a nice gesture to offer them anyway? It could act as a small apology for the whole 'centuries of oppression' thing, assuming anybody actually feels any iota of shame about that.

I'm not thinking of the RC where there is an issue of Sacramental validity, but for most other churches...? Wouldn't it be a good witness for the Church to offer a concession it doesn't want to make, just for once in its existence?

Do you mean, to bless something that God has specifically pronounced against?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't about "rights to marriage"; it's about the definition of marriage itself. Marriage - according to the view in question - is heterosexual by definition.

So - according to the contrary view in question - it's not about withholding "rights" to a legitimate claim for same sex marriage; it's about asserting that the demand for "marriage" by homosexual people is in fact an illegitimate claim because "same sex marriage" does not and cannot exist.

The demand to send one's son to a single sex girls school is a non-sensical demand because the school by definition is single sex. The demand for "marriage" by homosexuals is a non-sensical demand because marriage by definition is for people of opposite sexes.

So, technically speaking, there it is not an anti SSM stance because same sex marriage cannot in reality exist no matter what people choose to call their particular domestic arrangements or try to insist that other people call those arrangements.

[ 16. August 2013, 12:27: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes and no - rather to do so because one is willing to put aside what *you* believes God teaches in favour of trusting in what *someone else* believes God teaches. And face up to any consequences when the time comes, as we will all have to. Does that make more sense?

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which is, of course, the definition that has been handed down by the church and accepted in civil marriages until now.

That's nice, but as I've just said to Ingo such definitions are not the church's to control any more.

Deal with it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Who's asking you to bless it? I'll settle for you merely ceasing to fight against it.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
And what date, roughly, was this??

There were Greek colonies in Tyre and Sidon in the 11th - 10th centuries BC, as there were all around the Mediterranean.

Nothing written down in Jewish Scriptures can by any possibility whatever predate Hellenic influence. Some embedded texts may predate it, or derive from a different source, but the Scriptures cannot be said to be totally without Hellenic content or colour.

...where'd the Romans go? I was taking issue with the Romans.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
This is what I understand as "marriage". Given that language is defined by social convention, there may come a time when using this word in this manner is not helpful anymore. Maybe that time has already come, and maybe I should call this sort of thing something else now. As mentioned, "matrimony" would be a good candidate. I'm flexible that way, I do not think that I should fight too hard about mere labels. But I will not accept that I have to give up the very distinction itself.

Indeed, that time has come. Marriage is no longer 'owned' by the Church, and therefore the word "marriage" is no longer the Church's to define.
Therefore we are quite at liberty to do as Ingo8 has suggested - refuse matrimony to people who basically want to celebrate their CP with a lavish day out in church; because that is what marriage has become in the eyes of the civil law: A CP celebrated in a religious building. I think what has actually happened is that people have misunderstood the difference between a wedding and a marriage.

Everything that marriage offers in law is covered by a civil partnership. What they want, as revealed so eloquently by the 'we can buy it all' Drewitts, is a wedding.

They are not bothered by the fact that noting will have changed the day after. They have not realised that the day after the ceremony they will have no more civil rights than the day before when they were civil partners.
All they want is the 'human right' (and there is no such thing) to have a day in church with a ceremony.

The fact that the UK government has given them the right to be 'married' actually is a hollow victory because actually they have gained nothing - they can't have their day in church.
They can call themselves 'married' but when they ask each other 'what has changed since we got 'married' in the registrars office?' The answer will be - nothing. They just have a different certificate to enshrine exactly the same legal rights they had when they were civil partners.

What they mostly want is an end to tired semantic games where various words get put in quotes.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Excuse a brief interupption, I just want to come back to the mention of gas chambers. (I know I tend to correct people about things related to the Nazis, and this may get annoying. I guess you can call me a Nazi Nazi or something.)

Gas chambers were largely used only on Jews. People with disability as well, as well as concentration camp prisoners who were "unfit to work". Experiments with Zyklon B were done on Soviet POW. Ravensbrück (the female camp) saw executions being done via gas chamber of general prisoners. Gays, priests and pastors were not put in gas chambers (well some may been used for experiments, there's one story that Polish RC priests were those used for one experiment in Dachau, though there is no documentation to verify that).

Gays (and I mean males) died in concentration camps due to the other reasons people died there (hunger, torture, malnutrition, etc.) One exception is the Klinkerwerk sub-camp, attached to Sachsenhausen, a quarry where gays were sent as part of the "extermination through work" order from Himmler.

Of course, those killed in gas chambers may have contained gay people, but not for the reason of being gay.

I stand corrected. And on reflection this does mirror documentaries I have seen.

EDIT: And to go all Hostly on you, would there happen to be an English-language version of that Wroclaw link?

[ 16. August 2013, 13:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
It isn't about "rights to marriage"; it's about the definition of marriage itself. Marriage - according to the view in question - is heterosexual by definition.

So - according to the contrary view in question - it's not about withholding "rights" to a legitimate claim for same sex marriage; it's about asserting that the demand for "marriage" by homosexual people is in fact an illegitimate claim because "same sex marriage" does not and cannot exist.

The demand to send one's son to a single sex girls school is a non-sensical demand because the school by definition is single sex. The demand for "marriage" by homosexuals is a non-sensical demand because marriage by definition is for people of opposite sexes.

So, technically speaking, there it is not an anti SSM stance because same sex marriage cannot in reality exist no matter what people choose to call their particular domestic arrangements or try to insist that other people call those arrangements.

One reason this is nonsense is that the word 'marriage' is used in a whole array of other contexts not involving people. Unless we're going to start deciding that peaches are female and cream is male, or some such rubbish, the exact same word is used in lots of other contexts where it's impossible to imply sexuality, never mind heterosexuality.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
the exact same word is used in lots of other contexts where it's impossible to imply sexuality, never mind heterosexuality.

Marry, nuncle, th'whole definition game's afoot!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
The thing is, I bet Mudfrog wouldn't take any evidence of straight Christian Bridezillas and Groomzillas, be there ever so many of them, wanting 'lavish' heterosexual weddings to indicate that straight people should only be allowed non-religious civil partnerships and barred from any religious ceremony.

Yup, it's your textbook prejudice stuff. One obnoxious straight couple is just one obnoxious straight couple. But one gay couple does something that someone doesn't like and suddenly they're representative of all gay couples. This.is.one.couple. This is two people. Personally I don't think they should sue the church either, and for all the hand wringing it's pretty clear that they won't win and that will be that. The vast majority of LGBT people are not going to try to force a church into marrying them when the church doesn't want to do it - because, honestly, how many people actually want to be married by someone who doesn't want to marry them? How does this fit into most people's idea of a dream wedding?

It's a completely unrealistic standard to hold that every single gay person has to behave in ways acceptable to Mudfrog at all times otherwise the whole LGBT community will be held responsible. But it's the same mechanism that you get with all kinds of prejudice - like a white person turning into a screaming racist because they were once mugged by a black guy (had the mugger been white their ethnicity wouldn't be an issue, of course). It's setting up a standard that it's impossible to pass, so that someone will inevitably cause all gay people everywhere to fail it, and then you can shake your head and say "Yup, I knew that the homosexual agenda would lead to this."

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
I kind of admire the consistency of the RCC on this issue, even though I do think that refusing to marry paraplegics is rather hard=hearted, but I do not understand why post-menopausal women can get married in a Roman Catholic church.

Because fertility is not at issue for this in RC teaching. Whether God does or does not grant offspring is His to decide, because only God can infuse a human soul. And that remains so even if we can predict that barring the miraculous no offspring will result. What we do - our sexual acts - must be of the kind that could result in offspring, God willing (including God willing over and against the regular workings of nature). Sex is our end of business, conception is God's. Hence impotence is an impediment to marriage, because it unfortunately means that we cannot take care of our sexual end of business properly. Infertility and even sterility is not an impediment to marriage, because whether children come about is for God to decide and arrange.

quote:
That's nice, but as I've just said to Ingo such definitions are not the church's to control any more. Deal with it.

Actually it would be nice if everybody could snap out of "One definition to rule them all, One definition to find them, One definition to bring them all and in marriage bind them" mode. As usual the sauce for the gander is considered to be totally different to the sauce for the goose, and we all must now call any sort of steady intimate relationship with state recognition "marriage". Well, no. Language can cope perfectly fine with people meaning different things with the same word, as long as the context is clear. For example, the word "energy" has one meaning in physics, and an only mildly related meaning in everyday speech. Nobody seems to worry about that much. It would be entirely feasible to have "marriage" mean one thing in Church, and something only mildly related in everyday speech. But in reality, there are other agendas at work here and this whole business about what shall be called "marriage" is used by all sides as a proxy for questions about sexual morals. I'd prefer to just discuss those directly, rather than to mess about with language.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

One reason this is nonsense is that the word 'marriage' is used in a whole array of other contexts not involving people. Unless we're going to start deciding that peaches are female and cream is male, or some such rubbish, the exact same word is used in lots of other contexts where it's impossible to imply sexuality, never mind heterosexuality.
This is nonsense. Marriage isn't a value neutral socio-relational and spiritual conjoining of individual people that heterosexuals just happen have unfairly monopolised; marriage is the term which denotes the socio-relational and spiritual conjoining of two heterosexual people.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Language can cope perfectly fine with people meaning different things with the same word, as long as the context is clear. For example, the word "energy" has one meaning in physics, and an only mildly related meaning in everyday speech. Nobody seems to worry about that much. It would be entirely feasible to have "marriage" mean one thing in Church, and something only mildly related in everyday speech.

By way of comparison, what if a collection of racists - the Klan, maybe - were to loudly and repeatedly declare that as far as they were concerned only white people were proper human beings, and that no matter what anyone else might mean by the term "human" they were never going to accept that it included any non-whites. And furthermore, that no matter how many people used the "inclusive" meaning of the word they would continue to insist that only their definition was valid. And every time there was a discussion, or news article, or event that celebrated all of humanity one or more of them would always show up to point out that any non-whites being included in that discussion/article/event weren't really human.

How would you feel about that? And how would you feel about it if that group wielded genuine power in society?

Well, that is how your "it's OK for us to mean one thing and you to mean another" would play out in society.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
marriage is the term which denotes the socio-relational and spiritual conjoining of two heterosexual people.

You were so close - only one word away. The definition you're looking for is "marriage is the term which denotes the socio-relational and spiritual conjoining of two people".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:
Language can cope perfectly fine with people meaning different things with the same word, as long as the context is clear. For example, the word "energy" has one meaning in physics, and an only mildly related meaning in everyday speech. Nobody seems to worry about that much. It would be entirely feasible to have "marriage" mean one thing in Church, and something only mildly related in everyday speech.

By way of comparison, what if a collection of racists - the Klan, maybe - were to loudly and repeatedly declare that as far as they were concerned only white people were proper human beings, and that no matter what anyone else might mean by the term "human" they were never going to accept that it included any non-whites. And furthermore, that no matter how many people used the "inclusive" meaning of the word they would continue to insist that only their definition was valid. And every time there was a discussion, or news article, or event that celebrated all of humanity one or more of them would always show up to point out that any non-whites being included in that discussion/article/event weren't really human.

How would you feel about that? And how would you feel about it if that group wielded genuine power in society?

Well, that is how your "it's OK for us to mean one thing and you to mean another" would play out in society.

The difference is that they do not have a foundational text upon which to base their assertions.
The problem with the supporters of ssm is that they, if the are Christians, have to ignore the Bible and have a very low view of its divine authorship.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
marriage is the term which denotes the socio-relational and spiritual conjoining of two heterosexual people.

You were so close - only one word away. The definition you're looking for is "marriage is the term which denotes the socio-relational and spiritual conjoining of two people".
Which would be wrong, no matter how loudly you say it or how popular an understanding it becomes. This is because we aren't arguing about the definition of words; we're talking about the description of existing realities.

[ 16. August 2013, 15:20: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:

But the Bible specifically and consistently, from Moses to Paul and highlighted by Jesus Christ himself, says that those 'two people' are a man and a woman. The only way you can say it's people of the same sex is to ignore what the Bible teaches - and if you do that with this, why stop there?

You might as well ignore everything else the Bible says - about God himself, about spirituality, about ethics, charity, forgiveness - everything!

[ 16. August 2013, 15:23: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem with that use of the Bible as a manual is that it is preventing much of God's message to humankind being heard.

A quotation from Vicky Beeching's interview with Rachel Mann:

quote:
We do no honour to the Bible if we treat it like the spiritual equivalent of one of those old Hayne’s Car Manuals, simply offering a step by step way to holy living. Feminist scholars like myself have been keen to outline how some parts of the Bible are ‘texts of terror’ against women; black and womanist theologians have done the same with biblical texts which are used against ethnic minorities. We need to acknowledge that the so-called ‘Seven Knock-Down Passages’ against gay folk are texts of terror too – that is, they have been used to legitimate hate, prejudice and violence. We acknowledge they are there, but as with modern understandings of gender and race relations, we place them in the context of a larger vision of God in Jesus Christ – God as love, reconciliation and compassion.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

This is nonsense. Marriage isn't a value neutral socio-relational and spiritual conjoining of individual people that heterosexuals just happen have unfairly monopolised; marriage is the term which denotes the socio-relational and spiritual conjoining of two heterosexual people.
It's also the term that denotes lots of other things. To treat the word 'marriage' as a special term that was developed for the express purpose of describing a special heterosexual union is to completely ignore both the etymology and the other uses of the exact same word.

DELAYED EDIT TO SPELL IT OUT FOR THE UNUSUALLY THICK PART OF THE AUDIENCE: The word means joining. It doesn't tell you what you're joining.

[ 16. August 2013, 15:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

The difference is that they do not have a foundational text upon which to base their assertions.
The problem with the supporters of ssm is that they, if the are Christians, have to ignore the Bible and have a very low view of its divine authorship.

I just love it when you say things like that. You're so cute when you ignore all the ways that racists quoted the Bible to justify their racism. It's like you've never heard of Shem, Ham and Japheth.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The only way you can say it's people of the same sex is to ignore what the Bible teaches

Actually, the way to do it is to look at principles arising rather than assume that narratives are normative. You do exactly the same thing anytime you explain why women don't have to wear hats in church anymore, and the significance of headwear in ancient Corinth, you just don't notice it.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's also the term that denotes lots of other things. To treat the word 'marriage' as a special term that was developed for the express purpose of describing a special heterosexual union is to completely ignore both the etymology and the other uses of the exact same word.

DELAYED EDIT TO SPELL IT OUT FOR THE UNUSUALLY THICK PART OF THE AUDIENCE: The word means joining. It doesn't tell you what you're joining.

This is a necessary but insufficient part of the full definition. It's simply reductionism in service of an ideological pretext.
orfeo

# 13878

Oh okay, so the FULL definition has those extra bits. Well, no doubt you'll be able to tell me whether buying orders in a broker's office are the male or female half of the transaction. And whether the Oxford Dictionary definition example of "her music is a marriage of funk, jazz and hip hop" is an endorsement of polyandry or polygyny.

Dear God, arguing against completely stupid people is no fun at all. It's just not as satisfying as a proper bit of intellectual combat.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
Oh okay, so the FULL definition has those extra bits. Well, no doubt you'll be able to tell me whether buying orders in a broker's office are the male or female half of the transaction. And whether the Oxford Dictionary definition example of "her music is a marriage of funk, jazz and hip hop" is an endorsement of polyandry or polygyny.

Dear God, arguing against completely stupid people is no fun at all. It's just not as satisfying as a proper bit of intellectual combat.

Actally, marriage, etymologically, is this:

quote:
he word "marriage" derives from Middle English mariage, which first appears in 1250–1300 CE. This in turn is derived from Old French marier (to marry) and ultimately Latin marītāre meaning to provide with a husband or wife and marītāri meaning to get married. The adjective marīt-us -a, -um meaning matrimonial or nuptial could also be used in the masculine form as a noun for "husband" and in the feminine form for "wife."[5] The related word "matrimony" derives from the Old French word matremoine which appears around 1300 CE and ultimately derives from Latin mātrimōnium which combines the two concepts mater meaning "mother" and the suffix -monium signifying "action, state, or condition."
And anyway, one cannot get away from the Biblical definition - a man leaves his father, a woman leaves her mother and they become one flesh.

[ 16. August 2013, 15:58: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

Which would be wrong, no matter how loudly you say it or how popular an understanding it becomes. This is because we aren't arguing about the definition of words; we're talking about the description of existing realities.
I knew this bugged me when I saw it, but couldn't immediately figure out why.

It's finally hit me. Apparently this 'existing reality' is a reality that ignores the fact that 16 countries and parts of several other countries have genderless marriage rules. Same sex couples have been getting married for a dozen years. So either your existing reality is trapped in the 20th century or it's on another planet. Your choice.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
And anyway, one cannot get away from the Biblical definition - a man leaves his father, a woman leaves her mother and they become one flesh.

Oh yes, I see where the word marriage pops up in that sentence! [Roll Eyes]

And I'm sure the Biblical definition - the one completely omitting the defined word - is included in the statute interpretation laws of every country in the world. It's just so impossible to get away from.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:

The extended use of the word 'marriage' is about as relevant to this argument as is the use of male and female terms for bits of electrical audio leads.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It would be entirely feasible to have "marriage" mean one thing in Church, and something only mildly related in everyday speech....

This really already is the case, it's just that some people are slow to realize it.

quote:
<first part snipped for brevity> And every time there was a discussion, or news article, or event that celebrated all of humanity one or more of them would always show up to point out that any non-whites being included in that discussion/article/event weren't really human.

The thing is, we already have this distinction. The RCC for instance does not consider divorced, remarried Catholic people (and once you're a Catholic you're always a Catholic) to be really married. The sticky part is just the showing up and being obnoxious about it. Although getting people like mudfrog or daronmedway to stop doing that could be a little more difficult.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:

And I'm sure the Biblical definition - the one completely omitting the defined word - is included in the statute interpretation laws of every country in the world. It's just so impossible to get away from.

Yeah, nice try.

Let's see what Jesus said - O look he uses the M word

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The extended use of the word 'marriage' is about as relevant to this argument as is the use of male and female terms for bits of electrical audio leads.

If it's an argument about language, rather than about morality, of course it's relevant. I wasn't the one who started asserting that same sex marriage was a linguistic impossibility as well as a moral wrong.

But they're two entirely separate lines of argument. The linguistic one will actually be far more important in any court case about this issue here in Australia, so forgive me for finding it interesting.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, nice try.

Let's see what Jesus said - O look he uses the M word

[Killing me]

Way to miss the principle while focusing on a word search.

I'm quite sure that if a man divorces his husband and marries a man, he is also committing adultery by the same criteria. But I find it's best to direct your comments to 98% of your audience rather than 2%.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Random thought: why the hell do you have a man only leave his father and a woman only leave her mother? What happened to the other parent? And is it wrong to have a man give away his daughter at the altar?

If you're going to insist that we can't get away from the Biblical definition, Mudfrog, it would really, really help if you didn't stray from the Biblical definition yourself. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
You might as well ignore everything else the Bible says - about God himself, about spirituality, about ethics, charity, forgiveness - everything!

I'd rather do that than oppress people for the sake of my interpretation of it.

I like to think that a God of Love would sympathise with that view. If not, fuck Him.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
I just love it when you say things like that. You're so cute when you ignore all the ways that racists quoted the Bible to justify their racism. It's like you've never heard of Shem, Ham and Japheth.

Not to mention all that stuff about the mark of Cain.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

Anyway, this is all academic.

The gay community and their supporters believe they have won a victory here in the UK with the unlikely vote-hungry actions of the Prime Minister but they will never get what they think they've got.

They will get their civil partnerships given a new title 'marriage' but it'll just be a rerun of their cp ceremony with an extra three lines of vows. Hardly a seismic change for them; and nothing will have altered.

What they won't get is the Drewitt-style dressing-up day in their local parish church which, I guess, is all they wanted all along.

Did they really, did they really do all this as far as the law is concerned, just to have a similar 15 minute ceremony in a bland municipal office on a wet Wednesday in February to the one they had a year ago when they had their CP partnership ceremony and still insisted ion calling it a marriage, even then?

What you overseas people seem to forget - or perhaps you didn't know - is that the Government has banned the Church of England, with its lovely parish churches, from conducting SS marriage services.
The government has also enshrined in law that it is is not an offence to refuse to conduct such marriages if one is in a free church.
And neither is it an offence or wrong to openly state one's opposition to SS marriage - it is therefore not a homophobic offence.

In other words the church retains the right to restrict marriage to heterosexual couples, to deny the status of gay men and lesbians the status of 'married couple' and no one will be made, even under threat from spoiled rich men like the Drewitts, to give them what they want - their day in church.

The tone of this post is such because we are in Hell and i would say that the law may have changed but practically nothing else has.
That small part of the gay community that fought for 'equality' - even when other parts of the gay community opposed their fight - has not got what it wants in the slightest.

There will never, ever, be a gay marriage in a parish church, a catholic church, or any other church for that matter in the UK.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:

But that is all reading of a prejudice back into a text. You cannot draw out of these stories any intrinsic racism that might be taught there. This is what happens when one doesn't treat the Bible with intelligent respect and reverence.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:

There will never, ever, be a gay marriage in a parish church, a catholic church, or any other church for that matter in the UK.

Erm... I'm pretty sure that a small minority of churches will want to perform same-sex marriages immediately. We'll have to wait a few years (regrettably) for the CofE to follow suit but I'm sure that in forty years it will perfectly uncontroversial and most Christians will wonder what all the fuss was about!

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because fertility is not at issue for this in RC teaching. Whether God does or does not grant offspring is His to decide, because only God can infuse a human soul. And that remains so even if we can predict that barring the miraculous no offspring will result. What we do - our sexual acts - must be of the kind that could result in offspring, God willing (including God willing over and against the regular workings of nature). Sex is our end of business, conception is God's. Hence impotence is an impediment to marriage, because it unfortunately means that we cannot take care of our sexual end of business properly. Infertility and even sterility is not an impediment to marriage, because whether children come about is for God to decide and arrange.

As is often the case, the way Catholic doctrine categorizes things has me baffled.

I feel like I'm missing something here -- I'm not following why impotence doesn't fall into the same category as infertility, something that's not the person's fault and that God could miraculously overcome. Why isn't desire to have pro-creative sex with one's spouse (or the effort to do so, however failed that effort might be) enough to satisfy the requirement to take care of our end of things? Doesn't intention matter? Or if intention isn't sufficient, why is that?

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of Parish Churches in Scotland that will choose to marry gay couples in due course, along with many Scottish Episcopal Churches (and in all likelihood Glasgow Cathedral). Within 3 years is my bet.

The Church of England will take 10-20 years, maybe less if they can agree that it be at the Vicar's discretion as with divorcees.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

But that is all reading of a prejudice back into a text. You cannot draw out of these stories any intrinsic racism that might be taught there. This is what happens when one doesn't treat the Bible with intelligent respect and reverence.
"But, but... that horrible oppressive interpretation is clearly wrong and derived from the existing prejudices of the reader rather than being part of the text! Not like mine!"

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You are actually mixing issues there: 1) What understanding of a label is appropriate? 2) What consequences arise from that understanding? The (implied) problem with the Klan is of course that they would use their distinct understanding to justify different treatment. However, the issue of different treatment is at least in the UK now over - except precisely where your comparison would now apply in reverse. That is to say, sufficient equality before the civil law has already been reached here, the only thing that "same label, same treatment" still can do is to force communities to perform religious ceremonies against their religious convictions. It is now in the UK imposing language conformity, rather than allowing language diversity, which is a potential threat to basic human rights. Calling a "gay marriage" a civil partnership does not remove any rights before the UK law, but insisting that a civil partnership between gays must be called marriage may yet lead to forcing churches to marry gays against their beliefs.

quote:
How would you feel about that? And how would you feel about it if that group wielded genuine power in society? Well, that is how your "it's OK for us to mean one thing and you to mean another" would play out in society.

No, that is simply not true. We know what it is like when marriage is considered to be exclusively heterosexual, before the law and in society. Because, frankly, that was the status until recently. And even if one conflates all mistreatment of homosexuals with this issue, that was still nowhere near to the horrors inflicted by racism. Sorry, but that is just not a valid comparison. Furthermore, the specific injustice of not allowing gays to marry - as far as it is one - certainly is much less than the sum total of all injustices committed against gays. One cannot simply reduce all that has happened to gays throughout history to the question of marriage.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's finally hit me. Apparently this 'existing reality' is a reality that ignores the fact that 16 countries and parts of several other countries have genderless marriage rules. Same sex couples have been getting married for a dozen years. So either your existing reality is trapped in the 20th century or it's on another planet. Your choice.

And there are plenty of people on the inter web who claim to have been to another planet. Guess what? They haven't.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB:
quote:
Because fertility is not at issue for this in RC teaching. Whether God does or does not grant offspring is His to decide, because only God can infuse a human soul. And that remains so even if we can predict that barring the miraculous no offspring will result. Whether God does or does not grant offspring is His to decide, because only God can infuse a human soul. And that remains so even if we can predict that barring the miraculous no offspring will result.
I think I can safely say that, barring the miraculous, no offspring will result from a gay marriage. So that makes SSM alright according to Catholic teaching? Cheers!

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Random thought: why the hell do you have a man only leave his father and a woman only leave her mother? What happened to the other parent? And is it wrong to have a man give away his daughter at the altar?

If you're going to insist that we can't get away from the Biblical definition, Mudfrog, it would really, really help if you didn't stray from the Biblical definition yourself. [Big Grin]

Don't you lot know your Bible? Genesis 2.24 clearly states:
quote:
Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh.
Only the man leaves his parents - presumably in a truly Biblical marriage he moves in with her family.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And there are plenty of people on the inter web who claim to have been to another planet. Guess what? They haven't.
Right! Trapped in the previous century it is, then.

Existing realities my arse.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Erm... I'm pretty sure that a small minority of churches will want to perform same-sex marriages immediately. We'll have to wait a few years (regrettably) for the CofE to follow suit but I'm sure that in forty years it will perfectly uncontroversial and most Christians will wonder what all the fuss was about!
If anecdotal evidence is to be believed, if you know the "right" Vicar you can have the service done. OK there might not be a signature in the book but in conducting a service in the eyes of God and making the relevant vows doesn't (arguably) need the writing (which is after all simple confirmation of what has happened).

Did I mention that some have been doing this clandestinely for 20 years?

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016