homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fucking crypto-homophobes (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fucking crypto-homophobes
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
This is fighting the wrong fight. There are many threats to marriage. Homosexuality isn't one of them.

That is naive. Homosexuality is the contemporary issue which is driving the civil conception of marriage further away from what the Church considers to be the true and right conception of marriage. One does not have to agree with the Church to see that. Of course, one can be of the opinion that the Church should cease her efforts to lobby against these changes. One can thinks that the Church should not be doing that on principle grounds, or because it is in fact counterproductive. (Though the latter isn't as clear as some people make it out to be either - it is hard to know what the situation would be like without the lobbying efforts.) But to declare that accepting homosexuality concerning marriage is no threat to marriage as conceived by the Church is obviously wrong.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
The change in doctrine on Jewish deicide didn't convince you that the Roman Catholic church is a fallible institution run by human beings? Not enough Jews burned at the stake for it to matter, I guess.

What change of doctrine on the Jews? What do you believe to have been the doctrine, how do you believe it to have changed, and what level of authority do you believe had been assigned to that doctrine? (Also please note that I'm not denying all development of doctrine. The key text on this is by Newman.)

I think you will find that it is orthopraxis, not orthodoxy, which tends to be lacking in the RCC throughout history. To their damnation, RCs in all ages generally should have known better.

quote:
Of course that's what Francis+++ is trying to do, and IngoB hates him for it. Hmmmmm.

I do not hate Pope Francis. I just think that he is the final hurrah of the disastrously failing "aggiornamento" approach, and I worry that he will delay the necessary reform of the reform even further. He is also a Jesuit, and no Jesuit should ever be the ultimate authority in charge of the liturgy. It is, shall we say, not their strength.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Aside/
Am I the only person who hears the refrain(same as its title) from OutKast's Chronometrophobia when reading the title of this thread? All of you as well, yeah?
/Aside

I've been singing it to 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Plique-à-jour
Shipmate
# 17717

- Posted      Profile for Plique-à-jour     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
That is naive. Homosexuality is the contemporary issue which is driving the civil conception of marriage further away from what the Church considers to be the true and right conception of marriage.

Once people are getting married in pub function rooms with their own children as bridesmaids, I think you have to consider the RCC's precepts as pretty soundly marginalised. The equal marriage campaign is taking marriage more seriously than the current secular norm, not continuing its decline.

[ 20. August 2013, 11:22: Message edited by: Plique-à-jour ]

--------------------
-

-

Posts: 333 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sergius-Melli
Shipmate
# 17462

- Posted      Profile for Sergius-Melli   Email Sergius-Melli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The Church of England will take 10-20 years, maybe less if they can agree that it be at the Vicar's discretion as with divorcees.

Oh dear, this sounds like compromise and meeting the other side of the debate in a way forwards that is sort of amicable for people who's consciences reach different conclusions to other people...

As has been made clear to me this is not allowed, so please move along with your compromise and take it elsewhere, it is not welcome here...

Posts: 722 | From: Sneaking across Welsh hill and dale with a thurible in hand | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Do I breed frogs?

Of course not. The RCC doesn't allow marriage for frogs, therefore they're not allowed to have sex.
[Killing me]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do not hate Pope Francis. I just think that he is the final hurrah of the disastrously failing "aggiornamento" approach, and I worry that he will delay the necessary reform of the reform even further. He is also a Jesuit, and no Jesuit should ever be the ultimate authority in charge of the liturgy. It is, shall we say, not their strength.

That link has material about a conservative being upset that everything wasn't going to be done in Latin anymore. The one true language of the church, apparently. [Roll Eyes]

Giving people liturgy in their own language - does that count as part of the disastrous failure?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... What is true is that I simply won't let myself be bullied by hurt. ...

Get a t-shirt. It's catchy. It also warns the public not to expect any compassion or empathy from you.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After sleeping on it, I've come to the conclusion that IngoB would be infinitely more compelling and likable if he could just develop a sense of humor. He's so gawddamn serious, it makes just want to lie down on the floor. A while back he said my existential dread about my faith was my Protestant DNA inherited from Luther's emotional abuse, but for him the Gospel hardly seems to be much of a joyful consolation either. More like just another opportunity to show us all how clever he is.

And I don't for a moment believe anyone could compartmentalize some sincere joy about one's faith that well. But that's just me- your kilometerage may vary.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Giving people liturgy in their own language - does that count as part of the disastrous failure?

I doubt that you are seriously interested, but yes indeed, I would say that it is a contributing factor. I've travelled the world considerably more than most, and if I can find a traditional mass in a country where I do not really understand the language, I can understand and participate in the liturgy almost entirely. If I have my bilingual missal with me, only the sermon and announcements will be lost on me. If I don't, then I'll also typically not understand the mass readings (my Latin is not that good). But all the rest of the liturgy will be just like at home. Universal. Catholic. It is simply not true that the Latin is a serious barrier to understanding. If you go to mass regularly, and have access to a bilingual missal or order of mass (the latter costs peanuts), then you will know what's happening by heart within a year. Because these parts are basically not changing. To give the mass readings in the vernacular (as well) is really the only thing that was needed to improve local "understanding".

Instead, if I now go to a place where I do not understand the language, then it is just blablabla - receive communion - blablabla, with no participation in the liturgy. The RCC used to be cosmopolitan but unifying in her liturgy, bringing all the world together under one roof. Now it is balkanised, nationalistic, with liturgies that only work locally and which are often enough in different stages of translation from the promulgated Latin standard. And has this change improved the appreciation of the liturgy? I see no evidence whatsoever that people are more engaged with the liturgy in the ordinary form than in the extraordinary form. And yes, I have had my experiences of both. In fact, most of my time as a RC I have attended the ordinary form, for many years in Germany and England basically every Sunday, and on occasion in countries all over the world.

I really am not a liturgy nazi. It is simply not something I particularly obsess about. I certainly do not dispute the validity of the ordinary mass. I do not dispute that it can be done in a beautiful way, or bear great spiritual fruit. I will even agree that some of the changes introduced to the mass were good and beneficial, which puts me squarely at odds with most traditionalists. Still, I do think that ditching Latin was a serious, serious mistake. As was the removal of Gregorian chant, while we are at it. It is one thing that I admire about the Orthodox, that they were more careful with conserving their liturgies.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
After sleeping on it, I've come to the conclusion that IngoB would be infinitely more compelling and likable if he could just develop a sense of humor. He's so gawddamn serious, it makes just want to lie down on the floor.

He's not the only one. There are a number of people here who could really do with limiting themselves to posting in the Circus just for a season.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
How very Protestant of you.

I love it when you talk dirty to me...

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Get a t-shirt. It's catchy. It also warns the public not to expect any compassion or empathy from you.

Conveniently, I've recently trimmed my beard to look more like Ming the Merciless.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is one thing that I admire about the Orthodox, that they were more careful with conserving their liturgies.

And yet Slavonic and Greek liturgies among converts in the Anglophone world are disappearing faster than virgin Catholic choirboys.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
And yet Slavonic and Greek liturgies among converts in the Anglophone world are disappearing faster than virgin Catholic choirboys.

I am quietly confident that the Orthodox will fail to learn from RC mistakes and find their own unique ways to match the liturgical miseries that RCs have enjoyed over the last four decades. Such is human nature. Of course, importing lots of Protestants into their ranks will quite generally be to rock-solid Orthodoxy as gargling with vinegar is to teeth...

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IngoB: Homosexuality is the contemporary issue which is driving the civil conception of marriage further away from what the Church considers to be the true and right conception of marriage.
Is it the 'concept' of marriage that you are worried about, or is it people's marriages? I know a lot of people whose marriages are under threat: by domestic violence, by financial insecurity, maybe getting married hasn't been the best choice for them after all... the list goes on and on.

Those are very real threats with a high potential to put an end to their marriage. The fact that gay people can marry too isn't a threat to them at all.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course, importing lots of Protestants into their ranks will quite generally be to rock-solid Orthodoxy as gargling with vinegar is to teeth...

Tell me about it. They're already making us too much like the Catholic Church in a rush to get us on the anti-Gay bandwagon. Fucking western baggage.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
... What is true is that I simply won't let myself be bullied by hurt. ...

Yup.

Also, it's one thing to not let squeamishness about someone's feelings hold you back, it's an entirely different thing to behave as if you have scored points when people express hurt.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Of course, importing lots of Protestants into their ranks will quite generally be to rock-solid Orthodoxy as gargling with vinegar is to teeth...

Tell me about it. They're already making us too much like the Catholic Church in a rush to get us on the anti-Gay bandwagon. Fucking western baggage.
A positive comment from IngoB about any non-Catholic* is so rare, we should be encouraging it when it does happen. Now you've made him piss all over the Protestants where we ain't done nuffink wrong, and let him rope you in to it too. [Waterworks]

*Or, for that matter, about any living Catholic

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB. I'm sorry to have misunderstood. And I DO retract everything. Not that I understand you now. But you mean better than you come across to aging schismatics.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Fuck Western baggage" made me lol. Not in an entirely good way either.

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sergius-Melli:
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The Church of England will take 10-20 years, maybe less if they can agree that it be at the Vicar's discretion as with divorcees.

Oh dear, this sounds like compromise and meeting the other side of the debate in a way forwards that is sort of amicable for people who's consciences reach different conclusions to other people...

As has been made clear to me this is not allowed, so please move along with your compromise and take it elsewhere, it is not welcome here...

And Sergius-Melli will be among the last who oppose it in his sense of fraternity with those who oppose it. It will be interesting to see if he joins those who leave the church in opposition to the acceptance of same-sex marriage.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, your penultimate post. Most amusing. And yes, I just wanna be loved by you. Doop-de-doop.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by loggats:

That was mostly a swipe at Catholicism since the things that IngoB most hates in Protestantism are just as present in the RCC, from an Orthodox point of view. Or as we say sometimes, "The Pope was the first Protestant."

quote:
A positive comment from IngoB about any non-Catholic* is so rare, we should be encouraging it when it does happen.

Ah, then you are under the mistaken belief that IngoB is capable of changing his behavior based on the type of feedback he receives?

quote:
Now you've made him piss all over the Protestants where we ain't done nuffink wrong, and let him rope you in to it too.
Well, there's Protestants, and then there's Protestants. The ones who want to take the Orthodox Church back to the 19th century Russian pogroms, only with gays this time instead of Jews, we could do without. Twice over. And in that particular, they are much closer to the Catholics than to many of their (ex-)fellow Protestants.

It used to be that such people didn't hang around long. They would become Orthodox because we're conservative about some things, then decide we're not nearly conservative enough, and move on. One couple that used to go to our church as recently as a year ago has now joined a schismatic ex-Catholic group, because they're closer to the level of bitterness and anger that they are seeking (and bringing with them). The problem nowadays is that these people are invading the OC in such numbers that they look around and see people like themselves, and decide to stay. Time will tell if they drag the OC into embracing their own hate, or if the better elements of the OC (there are alas plenty of cradle with the same crabbed hearts) can drag them out of it.

[Waterworks] indeed.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Is it the 'concept' of marriage that you are worried about, or is it people's marriages?

The concept.

quote:
Those are very real threats with a high potential to put an end to their marriage. The fact that gay people can marry too isn't a threat to them at all.

It's not quite that simple. What you believe your marriage to mean, and what others around you believe it to mean, will influence how you live your marriage, in particular also when it is in trouble. To give an obvious example, the introduction of the "no-fault divorce" has certainly changed how marriages end. Not just in the obvious sense (how courts handle this), but also in the minds of people. Marriage is now something that exists only as long as both partner still agree that it does, it has no binding force of its own. It has become a lot more like any other romantic relationship then: if your girlfriend does not love you any longer, she will dump you; and if your wife does not love you any longer, it is just the same. You have to realise that it was not like that in the past. Whether you say that these "conceptual" changes were good or bad, they certainly were not insignificant.

quote:

I assume we both know the truth value of that. If you want to leave this out there as your statement on gay issues in Orthodoxy, that's your choice.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Also, it's one thing to not let squeamishness about someone's feelings hold you back, it's an entirely different thing to behave as if you have scored points when people express hurt.

And where am I supposed to have behaved like that then?

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
IngoB. I'm sorry to have misunderstood. And I DO retract everything. Not that I understand you now. But you mean better than you come across to aging schismatics.

Thank you, I guess. But let's leave the prince of the world undisturbed in future, shall we? He's not beyond a bit of micromanagement if invoked insistently.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
IngoB: The concept.
Well, I care about people more than about concepts.

quote:
IngoB: Marriage is now something that exists only as long as both partner still agree that it does, it has no binding force of its own. It has become a lot more like any other romantic relationship then: if your girlfriend does not love you any longer, she will dump you; and if your wife does not love you any longer, it is just the same.
You really don't understand anything about marriage.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Ah, then you are under the mistaken belief that IngoB is capable of changing his behavior based on the type of feedback he receives?
It wouldn't be the craziest thing I've believed.

quote:
Well, there's Protestants, and then there's Protestants...
That's all fair enough, but neither the first comment nor your response had anything to do with Protestantism. IngoB just brought them up out of the blue because... well, let's not speculate.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

I doubt that you are seriously interested, but yes indeed, I would say that it is a contributing factor. I've travelled the world considerably more than most, and if I can find a traditional mass in a country where I do not really understand the language, I can understand and participate in the liturgy almost entirely. If I have my bilingual missal with me, only the sermon and announcements will be lost on me. If I don't, then I'll also typically not understand the mass readings (my Latin is not that good). But all the rest of the liturgy will be just like at home. Universal. Catholic. It is simply not true that the Latin is a serious barrier to understanding. If you go to mass regularly, and have access to a bilingual missal or order of mass (the latter costs peanuts), then you will know what's happening by heart within a year. Because these parts are basically not changing. To give the mass readings in the vernacular (as well) is really the only thing that was needed to improve local "understanding".

Instead, if I now go to a place where I do not understand the language, then it is just blablabla - receive communion - blablabla, with no participation in the liturgy. The RCC used to be cosmopolitan but unifying in her liturgy, bringing all the world together under one roof. Now it is balkanised, nationalistic, with liturgies that only work locally and which are often enough in different stages of translation from the promulgated Latin standard. And has this change improved the appreciation of the liturgy? I see no evidence whatsoever that people are more engaged with the liturgy in the ordinary form than in the extraordinary form. And yes, I have had my experiences of both. In fact, most of my time as a RC I have attended the ordinary form, for many years in Germany and England basically every Sunday, and on occasion in countries all over the world.

I really am not a liturgy nazi. It is simply not something I particularly obsess about. I certainly do not dispute the validity of the ordinary mass. I do not dispute that it can be done in a beautiful way, or bear great spiritual fruit. I will even agree that some of the changes introduced to the mass were good and beneficial, which puts me squarely at odds with most traditionalists. Still, I do think that ditching Latin was a serious, serious mistake. As was the removal of Gregorian chant, while we are at it. It is one thing that I admire about the Orthodox, that they were more careful with conserving their liturgies.

I was indeed quite interested, but largely for the purpose of establishing whether or not you are a complete loon. Now that this is firmly established, I can ignore reading you for content from here on in.

You think that everything was so much better when no-one anywhere could understand the Mass without learning a dead second language, so long as you as Mr Jetset could understand no matter where you went in the world, and fuck all the ordinary people who spent most of their lives in one place.

I mean, if it had actually been a dead BIBLICAL language* I might have understood. Authenticity or some such. But no. It's freaking Latin. A more self-absorbed and ahistorical church you could not wish for. Locked into a ritual dating from... well, from quite a centuries after the time of Christ for no reason at all.

You could not possibly have a better demonstration of how to communicate to people that it's not about them at all, it's all about the Church and the Church is not interested in the world outside the doors.

*Ah, but which one? Three to choose from, and even then there's such variation in style and period. Why, it's almost as if God decided in the Biblical period that he'd speak in whichever language was current at the time!

[ 21. August 2013, 00:13: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

And the LORD said unto Abraham: "egredere de terra tua et de cognatione tua et de domo patris tui in terram quam monstrabo tibi"

And Abraham said unto Sarah: "Where did I put that blasted bilingual missal?!"

(Giving a translation spoils the joke, but because I'm obliged to, it's Genesis 12:1)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

And where am I supposed to have behaved like that then?

Just general repetitive snottiness, of the general self-satisfied nature Ruth noted. Hell if you can project all kinds of motives and assumptions all over my gay brethren, why can't I take a shot at you?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by loggats:

That was mostly a swipe at Catholicism since the things that IngoB most hates in Protestantism are just as present in the RCC, from an Orthodox point of view. Or as we say sometimes, "The Pope was the first Protestant."

quote:
A positive comment from IngoB about any non-Catholic* is so rare, we should be encouraging it when it does happen.

quote:
Now you've made him piss all over the Protestants where we ain't done nuffink wrong, and let him rope you in to it too.
Well, there's Protestants, and then there's Protestants. The ones who want to take the Orthodox Church back to the 19th century Russian pogroms, only with gays this time instead of Jews, we could do without. Twice over. And in that particular, they are much closer to the Catholics than to many of their (ex-)fellow Protestants.

d.

I would add to them, the ones who want to make us Eastern versions of the ECUSA
[Snigger]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is something to be admired about thousands of intellectuals toiling over centuries to knit together a system of belief that can appear completely internally-consistent¹.

There is something horribly, horribly sad about conflating an appearance of having an answer with the probability of it being true in any way.

There is something extremely gratifying watching Zach82 kick IngoB's ass all over Hell, pulping the ongoing drone of rationalization with pithy comments.

¹ You might have to squint a bit. And ignore all the non-internal stuff.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The change in doctrine on Jewish deicide didn't convince you that the Roman Catholic church is a fallible institution run by human beings? Not enough Jews burned at the stake for it to matter, I guess.

What change of doctrine on the Jews? What do you believe to have been the doctrine, how do you believe it to have changed, and what level of authority do you believe had been assigned to that doctrine? (Also please note that I'm not denying all development of doctrine. The key text on this is by Newman.)

I think you will find that it is orthopraxis, not orthodoxy, which tends to be lacking in the RCC throughout history. To their damnaeetion, RCs in all ages generally should have known better.

Whatever. I don't intend to read vast volumes of background for all the verbal diarrhea you spew.
It's hard enough to find and reply to comments you make on my posts.
The authorities for the claim of Jewish Decide probably started with whoever forged the Gospel of Matthew. Wikipedia lists other early contributors to the Christ-Killer meme.

The more recent statement that the Jews didn't do it was made at Vatican II and apparently reiterated by Pope Benedict in his book on Jesus.
There's also the self obvious point that the theory the Romans were not guilty because the Jews made them do it, between the time when the Romans invaded and forced the Jews to build many Roman temples and the time when the Romans wiped out the Zealots at Masada and destroyed the second Temple is ludicrous beyond belief.

Of course you may chose to term such a complete reversal on the Jewish Deicide as "doctrinal development" but if so, you can also apply that to gay marriage. Fortunately you won't find many early commentators on Gay Marriage that you have to develop away.

quote:
Of course that's what Francis+++ is trying to do, and IngoB hates him for it. Hmmmmm.

You have incorrectly attributed this quoted statement to me. I did not say it, even if I am amused at the thought that the Tiber may become a lap pool.

[ 21. August 2013, 04:52: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

There is something extremely gratifying watching Zach82 kick IngoB's ass all over Hell, pulping the ongoing drone of rationalization with pithy comments.

Wow, you read my mind!

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It is one thing that I admire about the Orthodox, that they were more careful with conserving their liturgies.

As well they fucking should.

Cyril and Methodios (Enlighteners of the Slavs) turn in their graves every single time an Orthodox liturgy is served in a language not understanded of the people.

With the Presbyterians, the Orthodox are the scriptural translators par excellence in North America.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
There is something to be admired about thousands of intellectuals toiling over centuries to knit together a system of belief that can appear completely internally-consistent.

And Magisterium. Who wouldn't want something with a cool name like that? It sounds like the bestest Dr Who plot arc thingie ever.

For the Reformed (a not uncool term in itself) the equivalent knee-loosener would be The Word.

Look at the patina! The soaring infrastructure, the intricate detailing - feel the history. And if the hard surfaces and sharp edges hurt, all the better. It just proves its otherness to our poor, mean, messy, transitory and pathetic humanity.

[ 21. August 2013, 07:03: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
beatmenace
Shipmate
# 16955

- Posted      Profile for beatmenace   Email beatmenace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze

And Magisterium. Who wouldn't want something with a cool name like that? It sounds like the bestest Dr Who plot arc thingie ever.

Phillip Pullman has already done it.

--------------------
"I'm the village idiot , aspiring to great things." (The Icicle Works)

Posts: 297 | From: Whitley Bay | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
You really don't understand anything about marriage.

Fine. I'm glad we talked.

quote:
I was indeed quite interested, but largely for the purpose of establishing whether or not you are a complete loon. Now that this is firmly established, I can ignore reading you for content from here on in.

That is indeed Hell communication in a nutshell.

quote:
You think that everything was so much better when no-one anywhere could understand the Mass without learning a dead second language, so long as you as Mr Jetset could understand no matter where you went in the world, and fuck all the ordinary people who spent most of their lives in one place.

My economy class "jetsetting" allows me to experience something practically that would have great value even if nobody ever got to experience it like that. If you see an American proudly flying the Stars and Stripes in California, and then you see the same in Iowa, is it necessary that they visit each other and see each other's flag? Or does whatever happens there in their minds and hearts happen merely by knowing that other people will do the same all across the USA? There is a lot more that could be said but you are not reading for content any longer, and I only wanted to point out that you misunderstood what you did read.

quote:
Hell if you can project all kinds of motives and assumptions all over my gay brethren, why can't I take a shot at you?

And if I get taken to task about my projections, why shouldn't I take you to task about yours?

quote:
Of course you may chose to term such a complete reversal on the Jewish Deicide as "doctrinal development" but if so, you can also apply that to gay marriage. Fortunately you won't find many early commentators on Gay Marriage that you have to develop away.

For a doctrine to be completely reversed, it has to exist in the first place. I note that your own Wikipedia link states clearly: "Although not part of Christian dogma, many Christians, including members of the clergy, preached that the Jewish people were collectively guilty for Jesus's death." Please note that unlike Protestantism, the RCC has a Magisterium. And however much that Magisterium might get ignored, misrepresented or misinterpreted in RC practice - including by RC clergy - it is ultimately the Magisterium that must reflect any Divine protection of the Truth (or not). Fuck-ups "lower down" are regrettable, but expected.

There is also a long and consistent history of popes speaking out against Christian practical antisemitism, starting with Pope Gregory I in the sixth century AD. See for example here for a summary, note the threat of excommunication. That is not to deny the rampant antisemitism in Europe throughout the ages, which clearly often also had the blessings of local RC clergy. But this cannot be declared simply as the official position of the Church.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
If you see an American proudly flying the Stars and Stripes in California, and then you see the same in Iowa, is it necessary that they visit each other and see each other's flag? Or does whatever happens there in their minds and hearts happen merely by knowing that other people will do the same all across the USA? There is a lot more that could be said but you are not reading for content any longer, and I only wanted to point out that you misunderstood what you did read.

One thing that could be said is that discussing a visual symbol in 2 different English-speaking States is a spectacularly poor analogy for the use of a liturgy in different countries that have different languages.

It's also completely wrong to reason that the only way people can be doing the same thing is if they're doing it in the same dead tongue.

Let me put plainly why I'm no longer interested in what you have to say on the main topic of this thread. There's absolutely no hope of you showing signs of movement on a moral issue if you can't even be comfortable with a change in the form of a liturgy - and I emphasise, a change in form not in substance. If you're the kind of person who pines for speaking in the language that just happened to be around at the time when the church managed to get itself into a position of power, then it's a waste of pixels to get you to consider the implications of cultural and scientific changes over the last couple of millennia.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What was the official position of the church on the Inquisitions and Autos da fé and their associated executions?

What's the official position now?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
If you see an American proudly flying the Stars and Stripes in California, and then you see the same in Iowa, is it necessary that they visit each other and see each other's flag? Or does whatever happens there in their minds and hearts happen merely by knowing that other people will do the same all across the USA? There is a lot more that could be said but you are not reading for content any longer, and I only wanted to point out that you misunderstood what you did read.

One thing that could be said is that discussing a visual symbol in 2 different English-speaking States is a spectacularly poor analogy for the use of a liturgy in different countries that have different languages.

It's also completely wrong to reason that the only way people can be doing the same thing is if they're doing it in the same dead tongue.

Let me put plainly why I'm no longer interested in what you have to say on the main topic of this thread. There's absolutely no hope of you showing signs of movement on a moral issue if you can't even be comfortable with a change in the form of a liturgy - and I emphasise, a change in form not in substance. If you're the kind of person who pines for speaking in the language that just happened to be around at the time when the church managed to get itself into a position of power, then it's a waste of pixels to get you to consider the implications of cultural and scientific changes over the last couple of millennia.

It's not even the same language. Constantine would really struggle to understand spoken ecclesiastical Latin, because the pronunciation's completely different.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Well, as long as he could read along in his missal he'd be fine, right?

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
There's absolutely no hope of you showing signs of movement on a moral issue if you can't even be comfortable with a change in the form of a liturgy - and I emphasise, a change in form not in substance.

Seriously, you needed your (false) understanding of my liturgical preferences in order to come to the conclusion that I'm not going to move on the issue of homosexuality?

quote:
If you're the kind of person who pines for speaking in the language that just happened to be around at the time when the church managed to get itself into a position of power, then it's a waste of pixels to get you to consider the implications of cultural and scientific changes over the last couple of millennia.

The fun bit is that your reaction, as uncomprehending and dismissive as it is, is such a neat confirmation of the symbolic power I'm talking about. A mere whiff of Latin, and you go mental, because it is not just another language. Even to you, even now.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
What was the official position of the church on the Inquisitions and Autos da fé and their associated executions? What's the official position now?

Let's leave issues of the "black legend" aside, since some people certainly did get killed over doctrines on account of the Church. But they did not get killed according to doctrine. Rather, that would be a matter of governance and discipline. Church governance and discipline has a somewhat better track record than the massive clusterfuck of secular governance and discipline throughout history, I would say, but that's really not saying much...

quote:
Well, as long as he could read along in his missal he'd be fine, right?

Constantine would have found those writings somewhat odd as well. Ecclesiastic Latin for example often uses prepositions where classical Latin would have relied on the case alone. Remind me why we worry about that though?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Way to completely not answer the point about the Inquisitions and Autos da fé there, IngoB. Feel free to try again.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My understanding is that secular historians tend to argue today that the inquisitions were considerably blackened, as part of anti-Catholic propaganda, and were not as bad as once thought. Indeed, there are even some arguments that the inquisitions were more humane than the secular authorities, and prisoners would try to be moved from the latter to the former.

Edward Peters:

"The Inquisition was an image assembled from a body of legends and myths which, between the sixteenth and the twentieth centuries, established the perceived character of inquisitorial tribunals and influenced all ensuing efforts to recover their historical reality." Inquisition, 1988.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
IngoB: Fine. I'm glad we talked.
Well, fortunately that's what your position means: zilch.

I have been to a large number of weddings. All of the couples were committed to it, they wanted to put the effort in to make it work, to take it until the end. Most of these couples are doing very well today, but sadly a small number have divorced.

Sometimes the love isn't there anymore. They worked and fought until the bitter end. The prayed and had relationship counselling and what not. In the end it was not enough, you can't win them all. A divorce followed, which —although probably the best option under the circumstances— was painful for them both.

To dismiss this as "it has no binding force, your girlfriend dumped you, it is just the same" means that you are a judgamental shit who doesn't understand anything about marriages about people.

It is easy to sit in your high chair with your beautiful 'concepts' and be able to judge others by it. The fact that you completely misjudge people and marriage doesn't mean shit to you. As long as you can write your multi-paragraph posts defending your beautiful 'concepts'. I can tell you where to stick those concepts.

"Even if I could write logical eight paragraph posts defending the concept of marriage, if I didn't have love I would be a complete piece of shit like Ingo."

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In high school, I had an English teacher with whom I tangled over some issue -- free will and predestination, perhaps? Not sure I recall. I was from a nominally Protestant non-churchgoing upbringing; she was the intellectual child of parochial schools and a college founded & run by Jesuits. I remember my frustration in those discussions: forced to admire her lengthy, detailed, rationales for her side(s) of the question, while being utterly and fundamentally unable to accept her arguments. Of course, I was unable to mount any real challenge to her, as a half-formed, half-educated 16-y.o.

At the time, I remember thinking what a pity it was that the enormous, complicated, elegant edifice of her seamlessly-fitted arguments had been executed in aid of such clearly inhuman conclusions. This thread puts me in mind of her.

My suspicion now is that there are unspoken premises here too far apart to be bridged. One side argues from a world made by God for God. The other argues from a world made by God for humanity.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

At the time, I remember thinking what a pity it was that the enormous, complicated, elegant edifice of her seamlessly-fitted arguments had been executed in aid of such clearly inhuman conclusions. This thread puts me in mind of her.

I don't just see IngoBs and Mudfrog's arguments as inhuman, I see them as profoundly unChristlike too.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl [Overused]

Ingo, in terms of the conceptual qualities of what marriage is that you describe, I fully agree.* I have tried to follow them throughout my life, and in my marriage.

But guess what, I'm in the process of getting divorced. Is that because I don't share similar ideals of marriage to you? No. It's because real life is more than concepts.

That's not to say that concepts aren't important, but as soon as you divorce them (excuse the pun) from real life experience, they become meaningless. Theory and practice go hand in hand.

And our concepts change anyhow. And though you probably won't admit it, the Church's concept of marriage has changed over the centuries too. Part of that change is down to the very fact that our experience, our attempts - successes and failures - to put those concepts into practice make us re-evaluate those concepts. Things get discarded and other things get added - things like the concept of a husband owning his wife. Things like polygamy. Things like wedding traditions, or even the necessity of a marriage ceremony. Things like heavily-defined gender roles. Things like male-female only marriage.

I'd put up with your concept philosophy a bit more, if you only would step down from your ivory tower of musings every now and then and wallow in the shit of reality like the rest of us.

-------

* We disagree that those concepts can't be applied to a homosexual marriage, but as far as I can see you've given no reason why they can't be (hence the goose/gander observation), other than "because I / the Catholic Church say so.

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
In high school, I had an English teacher with whom I tangled over some issue -- free will and predestination, perhaps? Not sure I recall. I was from a nominally Protestant non-churchgoing upbringing; she was the intellectual child of parochial schools and a college founded & run by Jesuits. I remember my frustration in those discussions: forced to admire her lengthy, detailed, rationales for her side(s) of the question, while being utterly and fundamentally unable to accept her arguments. Of course, I was unable to mount any real challenge to her, as a half-formed, half-educated 16-y.o.

My suspicion now is that there are unspoken premises here too far apart to be bridged. One side argues from a world made by God for God. The other argues from a world made by God for humanity.

Very good post. Yes, I do admire these intellectual edifices which can be constructed by some theists. I have an atheist friend who actually as a hobby studies Aquinas and other philosophers, as he finds it such an amazing deductive system.

But as you say, 'for humanity'? By bloody hell, no. Rather something cold and chilling and de haut en bas.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the things I wonder about is what the world would be like if the RCC never existed.

I have this nagging feeling we're slouching on the shoulders of giants. [Paranoid]

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The fun bit is that your reaction, as uncomprehending and dismissive as it is, is such a neat confirmation of the symbolic power I'm talking about. A mere whiff of Latin, and you go mental, because it is not just another language. Even to you, even now.

[Killing me]

Seriously? You think Latin has special spiritual powers or something?

Oh my Lord. Who spoke Aramaic.

Ingo, my dear deluded... colleague... it is just another language. One from history that nobody speaks. That's the point. I feel exactly the same way about people who decide that the King James Version is God's own style of English and won't read anything translated in the last couple of centuries. It's not an issue about a particular language, it's an issue about communication - an issue that I devote my professional life to. In that context, I feel much the same way about people who think that a legal document isn't a real legal document unless it's expressed in English from the Victorian Era.

And it's an issue about the ability to abstract a principle from a practice. There are far too many people in this world who follow practices without any thought to the rationale behind them, and who consequently aren't capable of seeing when the rationale might need reexamining and that the same principle might now lead to a different practice.

Latin was a sensible language for conducting church business when Latin was a lingua franca (ie for the exact same reason why the New Testament is written in Greek when some of its authors weren't actually all that great at Greek and were writing in their rough second language). It was precisely because of its usefulness across the boundaries of Europe that it took hold. And indeed, people continued to learn Latin for many, many centuries.

But to hold onto the idea of Latin in the church when Latin is no longer capable of being a method of communication for all but a select few is to elevate practice over principle while completely missing what the practice was for. Speaking about the 'universality' of Latin in 2013 is just bewildering, unless I suppose you're talking about the universal incomprehensibility. The world's most widely understood language today is English. That's the modern language that fulfils the function that Latin fulfilled 1500+ years ago.

[ 21. August 2013, 13:28: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  19  20  21 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016