homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Peradventure there shall Leo be found there (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Peradventure there shall Leo be found there
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gives you some measure of control over your feelings of inadequacy before my very reasonable questions and comments in purg huh Zach?

Ah well. You know what they say....the strong have to give in to the weak sometimes.

I'll give you your feelings of power. I guess you must need them.

I just feel for the poor sods that suffer under your inadequate theology.

[ 29. September 2013, 12:44: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
I'll give you your feelings of power. I guess you must need them.

This is rich coming from someone who seems to have a fairly deep need to make as many threads as possible into conversations about herself.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hardly.

People seem to feel the need to tell me how awful I am so often and it rather generally flows from there.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It flows from there because you turn up and do the exact same thing again and again. It flows from there because you think the correct response is to give some kind of witty, knowing response with a twinkle in your eye.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It flows from there because you turn up and do the exact same thing again and again. It flows from there because you think the correct response is to give some kind of witty, knowing response with a twinkle in your eye.

And... We know that they are "knowing, witty responses" because she tells us so.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
And... We know that they are "knowing, witty responses" because she tells us so.

Correct.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:

Well yes. My way of dealing with stupidity is often via sarcasm or wit. Not my fault if they don't get it. I am who I am.

You're one of the few that seems to recognize when I'm being serious or not.

Hard to find good help these days...

Oh. And while we're talking, would you mind telling Zach he's a deflecting, weak ass, dick that can't tell the spirit of the law from the letter of the law? He doesn't seem to be talking to me at the moment. But he does seem to be talking to you like I'm not here.

Add fucked in the head to the list.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

It IS your fault if they don't get it, or at the very least your problem, because communication doesn't end when the words escape you. The task is not done at that point.

I think plenty of people get it, however. I just don't think they like it as much as you think they ought to like it.

And no, frequently I don't know whether you are being serious or not. My secret is that I've stopped caring one way or the other. In general I spend as little time as possible trying to process the actual meaning of your Hell posts when you turn up in your role of Unnecessary Defender Of The Minority and just check for the basics.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is easy to forget that social conventions about discourse vary wildly between cultures. Most of us exist primarily in cultures where the onus on the transmission of meaning is on the speaker. But there are cultures where the onus is on the listeners to understand. This cultural trait seems to be much less adaptive for use on the internet.

None of which makes much difference for batshit insane poster children for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't a feeling of inadequacy that makes me feel such satisfaction at how easy it is to bring out this ignorant, spiteful petulance of yours, Evensong. It's malice.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
It IS your fault if they don't get it, or at the very least your problem

Well like you, I've stopped caring about that ages ago in Hell. [Big Grin]

I like to believe I'm more understandable on the rest of the ship. But then, there's a lot less stupidity around on the rest of the ship.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

None of which makes much difference for batshit insane poster children for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Now here boys and girls, is an excellent example of the pot calling the kettle black.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

Nah. I've met Rook. He really IS better than average.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

But you have yet to meet me. [Biased]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[OPEN: The Sydney Opera House, in silhouette at sunrise.]

[DRAMATIC ZOOM - in on a lone figure wrapped in thin, sheer fabric blown in such a way that it both presses the fabric against them and causes the excess to seem to defy gravity.]

Evensong: [Turns head from chin held high, facing against the howling wind, to staring crazy-eyed directly into the camera.] "DESPERATION. The scent of reality not being as we insist it is, but we'll never admit it. DESPERATION."

[SMASH CUT: All black, with the outline of a uselessly-shaped bottle emblazoned with the label (DES∙PURR∙Ḁ∙SHUN) ]

[Flash disclaimer in nigh-unreadable size and font]
Harmful if ingested. Do not apply directly to posts, as general irritation may occur. Call your cleric or therapist if you suspect a dependency is forming. Not for use for people that have any sense of introspection or self-respect. Please post responsibly.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
originally posted by Evensong:
I like to believe I'm more understandable on the rest of the ship.

Oh, you are. Go on believing it. An open book. No one is pretending that their observations of you on this thread are any particular accomplishment of insight.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hilarious. But Evensong is in Perth, a good 4000 km from the SHO. I know, it's all too easy to associate one landmark with a whole country. If there were any significant architectural landmarks in Canada at all, I suppose we would all similarly link every Canadian to that one example of national brilliance. As it is, all we can do is make jokes about how y'all fornicate with moose.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

To be fair, the opera house in Perth is this baroque mess. Not really iconic.

quote:
...a good 4000 km from the SHO
About 30 pounds.

quote:
If there were any significant architectural landmarks in Canada at all, I suppose we would all similarly link every Canadian to that one example of national brilliance.
Canada!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
As it is, all we can do is make jokes about how y'all fornicate with moose.

Then apologize to them.

quote:

Heavens. There must have been a sale on that colour of paint.

[ 30. September 2013, 02:54: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

If I were a whole continent of convicts, nouveau-riche,and Paul Hogans trying to convince the world I was actually quite civilized, that would be exactly the opera house I would construct.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I doubt very much the whole continent had anything to do with it. That'd be like saying that folk in California had a lot of input into the construction of a Boston building 100 years ago.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Indeed. Boston has got this soulless monstrosity perched in its middle. Just what was it trying to prove when it tore down a whole Victorian neighborhood to put that pile of crap up?

[ 30. September 2013, 03:39: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mon Dieu! That's hideous.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, usually I try not to repost Hell snark, but if someone aimed an insult this creative at me, I can't help but think I would be a bit flattered.
quote:

[DRAMATIC ZOOM - in on a lone figure wrapped in thin, sheer fabric blown in such a way that it both presses the fabric against them and causes the excess to seem to defy gravity.]

Evensong: [Turns head from chin held high, facing against the howling wind, to staring crazy-eyed directly into the camera.] "DESPERATION. The scent of reality not being as we insist it is, but we'll never admit it. DESPERATION."

[SMASH CUT: All black, with the outline of a uselessly-shaped bottle emblazoned with the label (DES∙PURR∙Ḁ∙SHUN) ]

Harmful if ingested. Do not apply directly to posts, as general irritation may occur. Call your cleric or therapist if you suspect a dependency is forming. Not for use for people that have any sense of introspection or self-respect. Please post responsibly.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Heavens. There must have been a sale on that colour of paint.
Isn't it awful? It's a bit nicer inside. That isn't the Perth Opera House (which doesn't exist), but His Majesty's Theatre, so we tend to blame our colonial forbears for that one.
Not that we do much better ourselves. For some reason, TPTB in Perth decided the best way to handle all the money pouring into the city was to knock everything pretty down and put up super modern buildings in their place. For some reason, SGT survived that process (perhaps it shouldn't have), but much that is good and lovely in our fair town is gone. [Tear]

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
Indeed. Boston has got this soulless monstrosity perched in its middle. Just what was it trying to prove when it tore down a whole Victorian neighborhood to put that pile of crap up?

Good god! That is hideous. It's like someone designed a really ugly building, assembled it off site and then tried to airlift it in, but somehow it got dropped in upside down.
A metaphor for American democracy, perhaps?

--------------------

----

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Hilarious.

I know, right? My wife even sneered at me for all my annoying laughter, and immediately picked it out as my "being an insufferable smartass" laugh. How she differentiates it from my "saw an old lady fall down" laugh, I cannot guess.

quote:
Evensong is in Perth, a good 4000 km from the SHO.
So, you're probably not going to believe me when I suggest that I skewed the perception intentionally to make a point? Never mind - let's move on to the moose jokes.

quote:
all we can do is make jokes about how y'all fornicate with moose.
Fun fact: Moose kill more people every year than grizzly bears. Maybe there's a connection?
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
quote:

Good god! That is hideous. It's like someone designed a really ugly building, assembled it off site and then tried to airlift it in, but somehow it got dropped in upside down.
A metaphor for American democracy, perhaps?

Like all modern buildings, people who think it ugly are philistines who don't realize that it is an architectural masterpiece that is free of the tyranny of pastiche and sensible floor plans.

Also, it's in the middle of a ginormous, sterile plaza devoid of trees, benches, fountains, or historical buildings that might obstruct your view of this firm's magnum opus. What do you want, this hellish rat's nest of brick buildings and walkable streets that it replaced?

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:

Also, it's in the middle of a ginormous, sterile plaza devoid of trees, benches, fountains, or historical buildings that might obstruct your view of this firm's magnum opus.

I think that might be the first time I have really understood the fundamental philosophy that gripped architecture in Perth from the sixties onward.

quote:
What do you want, this hellish rat's nest of brick buildings and walkable streets that it replaced?
Now that just reminds me of old depictions of Perth. [Waterworks]

--------------------

----

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]all we can do is make jokes about how y'all fornicate with moose.

Fun fact: Moose kill more people every year than grizzly bears. Maybe there's a connection?
Moose take the failure to stay and cuddle much more seriously?

--------------------

----

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo is representing the worst about allies - constantly making the conversation about how liberal and wonderful they are, when actually being an ally is about supporting minorities in the decisions they make themselves. As S Bacchus has pointed out, Leo, LGBTQ+ people are perfectly capable of standing up for ourselves, and we do it all the time. WE are the only people who should speak for us. I mean it's nice that you want to be an ally but not being LGBTQ+, it's not for you to speak on behalf of us. And you know, get better at being an ally because you're doing a pretty crap job at it.

It is worth pointing out that S Bacchus and Venbede are both gay men in Anglo-Catholicism, aka the most gay-man-friendly kind of church ever. Gay men who are in evangelical churches/are evangelical, and people who are LGBTQ+ and not gay men (as well as gay men of colour) have markedly different experiences to you both. There ARE churches that are deeply toxic for LGBTQ+ people, even within the CoE. I know because I have been there (and yes it was harder for me as a queer woman than it would have been for a man). But telling a sincerely Christian person to just up and leave their faith seems to be incredibly insensitive and wrong, and also doesn't exactly help out struggling progressive Christian denominations. Seems a bit weird for an AffCath spiritual director not to mention AffCath churches being gay-friendly to a gay Christian.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, it's in the middle of a ginormous, sterile plaza devoid of trees, benches, fountains, or historical buildings that might obstruct your view of this firm's magnum opus.

The plaza was designed as a place for rallies, etc. However, the surrounding buildings have the effect of turning it into a wind tunnel.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Leo is representing the worst about allies - constantly making the conversation about how liberal and wonderful they are, when actually being an ally is about supporting minorities in the decisions they make themselves. As S Bacchus has pointed out, Leo, LGBTQ+ people are perfectly capable of standing up for ourselves, and we do it all the time. WE are the only people who should speak for us. I mean it's nice that you want to be an ally but not being LGBTQ+, it's not for you to speak on behalf of us.

Why do you assume that i am str8?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Leo is representing the worst about allies - constantly making the conversation about how liberal and wonderful they are, when actually being an ally is about supporting minorities in the decisions they make themselves. As S Bacchus has pointed out, Leo, LGBTQ+ people are perfectly capable of standing up for ourselves, and we do it all the time. WE are the only people who should speak for us. I mean it's nice that you want to be an ally but not being LGBTQ+, it's not for you to speak on behalf of us.

Because if you're not, you don't even take your OWN bloody advice.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Returning to opera houses, Boston's looks like a late model Soviet-era construction. Perth's is, at least, cheerful-looking.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Brutalist building is Boston City Hall. Here are pictures of the Boston Opera House.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

And why would you assume that i haven't?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Because your own experiences of being LGBTQ+ in the church are suspiciously absent. Are you straight or not?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
OK, usually I try not to repost Hell snark, but if someone aimed an insult this creative at me, I can't help but think I would be a bit flattered.
quote:

Oh, FFS

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

We can all read, and some of us have to.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Because your own experiences of being LGBTQ+ in the church are suspiciously absent. Are you straight or not?
Furthermore, are you now a Buddhist?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tbf to Leo, I don't think one needs to post "as a gay man/straight woman/Berkshire sheep dog" every time one posts. It is good to try to put one's standpoint aside and understand objectively.

Otherwise we'll all be like a bunch of teenagers on islands, shouting "you don't understand meeee, check your privilege" or some other bollocks at each other

Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's just it. Leo very much wants to be in the position to shout, "You don't understand me. Check your privilege" at everyone he meets. Problem is he's a straight, white, male of a certain age who is a lay reader in the established church of a first world nation.

Leo is privileged and it irks him to no end. James Cone famously said white people must hate their whiteness. Leo has managed to hate not only his whiteness but every aspect of his identity. He would rather be the collective of bored art students Louise suspects him of being rather than who he actually is.

I minored in Psychology. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Louise has it again. Collective of bored art students. That would explain the variable spelling and grammar at any rate, without anyone's having to wonder if leo's been posting after taking the drink.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

For what it's worth, I didn't. But for someone who is ever so concerned with LGBT issues, you're not exactly open about your personal experiences (talking about other people in vague terms to show how wonderfully pastoral you are doesn't count).

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
That's just it. Leo very much wants to be in the position to shout, "You don't understand me. Check your privilege" at everyone he meets. Problem is he's a straight, white, male of a certain age who is a lay reader in the established church of a first world nation.

Leo is privileged and it irks him to no end. James Cone famously said white people must hate their whiteness. Leo has managed to hate not only his whiteness but every aspect of his identity. He would rather be the collective of bored art students Louise suspects him of being rather than who he actually is.

I minored in Psychology. [Big Grin]

You're dead right. Poor old leo, more fortunate in so many ways than almost everybody who's ever lived: he so wants to feel some pain, until it boils up inside him and he wants to howl [Waterworks] WHY WON'T YOU PERSECUTE ME? [Waterworks]
Hence all that transferred patriotism, as I think Orwell put called it.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T LEFT THE CHURCH TO BECOME A BUDDHIST YOU FREAKING IDIOT.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone else maddened by the spare 'there' in the thread title? Few trivialities have bugged me so much since McCartney's "world in which we live in".

Oh, well.... I'll get my coat.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
QLib - yes,I am.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
[QB] Is anyone else maddened by the spare 'there' in the thread title? Few trivialities have bugged me so much since McCartney's "world in which we live in".
/QB]

There isn't a spare 'there'. The two 'theres' have different functions. If you're going to criticise someone else, at least make sure that you can parse a simple English sentences.

Here, I'll make it easy by translating into English for semi-literate small children:
Peradventure there shall be = what if there is
Leo found there = Leo in that location.

Given that the syntax is exactly the same as the passage from Genesis to which it alludes, I don't see why this wasn't obvious.

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

orfeo

# 13878

It was an allusion to Genesis? Holy moly, which version are you using to dredge up a word like 'peradventure'?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016