homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Reading for comprehension (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Reading for comprehension
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Ever the fucking pedant.

As opposed to what? The celibate pedant?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read it as fucking pendant, the first time.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Ever the fucking pedant.

As opposed to what? The celibate pedant?
Obviously he's a fucking pedant. He has offspring, yeah? I suppose he could be a celibate pedant now, though I truly do not care to know.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the shutdown is making everybody loopy.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I read it as fucking pendant, the first time.

Google Images is definitely not your friend. NSFW.

I did warn you...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(mopping soda off monitor)

Don't tell me white boys can't dance.

I can just hear the director-- "Keep your hands clenched, Rick, that's so hot. Ok, pretend like you are working maracas. Beautiful, baby!"

[ 12. October 2013, 03:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
I did warn you...

Yes, but as a Host I have to look. Bastard.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I have not stopped laughing since I last posted. My face hurts. Pissy, you are such a tool.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
Feeblest Hell thread in several weeks?

No.

The driving and parking ones take that title easily.

Couldn't agree more .

I know actual Hell is supposed to be all about taking skinny dips in burning lakes and all that -- but being forced for all eternity to listen to a continuous liturgy on how to park a car ?

Now that's bonafide torment that is .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen brother.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
we couldn't see the link that made you laugh, Kelly, blocked our country. Now that's torment....

I'm joining in this fight because, despite knowing it's not even slightly what the OP meant, I am sick to the back teeth of people who don't listen properly. They hear a sentence or two and guess the rest. Even if you choose your sentences carefully. Even if you speak slowly and look at the person.

[ 12. October 2013, 10:52: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
. . . . . I am sick to the back teeth of people who don't listen properly. They hear a sentence or two and guess the rest. Even if you choose your sentences carefully. Even if you speak slowly and look at the person.

Ah, the traditional English response to the inability of Johnny Foreigner to comprehend God's Own language.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Foreigners? You don't get out much, do you?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
. . . . . I am sick to the back teeth of people who don't listen properly. They hear a sentence or two and guess the rest. Even if you choose your sentences carefully. Even if you speak slowly and look at the person.

Ah, the traditional English response to the inability of Johnny Foreigner to comprehend God's Own language.
Cymraeg, wrth gwrs (Welsh, of course)

Or am I not reading carefully enough?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're joking, right? I tried to write your name and predictive text turned it into dinosaurs, which I can t fight just now [Smile] I lived in Palastine for 6 weeks, and found everyone would check out what they'd heard, to make sure they got it right. Wonderful.
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

I don't think the problem is so much with people who don't speak your language. If they do guess at what you're saying, they usually check, because the chance of getting it wrong is so obvious.

I think it's more often people who do speak your own language natively, but who aren't focussed. Sometimes they are just distracted, looking around for another conversation or something, what you're saying doesn't seem important enough to them.

Sometimes what distracts them from really listening to what you say is the business of thinking about how they are going to reply to you. They don't listen to you fully, and they get (guess) it wrong.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

Exactly. One's own mother at the top of the list, with over sensitive colleague a close second. Colleague is not, for the record, an EAL speaker.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
..the man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am sick to the back teeth of people who don't listen properly. They hear a sentence or two and guess the rest. Even if you choose your sentences carefully. Even if you speak slowly and look at the person.

quote:
Exactly. One's own mother at the top of the list, with over sensitive colleague a close second. Colleague is not, for the record, an EAL speaker.

I may be putting two and two together and making five but it seems to me at least possible that your first two sentences upset your colleague so much that s/he didn't listen to the rest. Of course, that might not be your fault, but it's still not a simple 'people don't listen' problem.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

In my experience, people don't listen properly, and don't read for comprehension. It is laziness, lack of time, energy or interest. A wise man once wrote, 'true listening is love in action.' It's a skill that takes thought and needs practice. I didn't really 'listen properly' to sioni sais' point, and certainly responded as if he said something a bit different.. partly because I felt poked with a stick and partly cos I'm writing on a kindle, which is limiting. My colleague doesn't listen properly, partly because, as a teacher, she is used to hearing the subtext and answering that, to save time, perhaps. But mostly she hears blame and criticism where none is intended. And that is, for all sorts of noble reasons, because she is sed to taking responsibility, or having to justify herself, or whatever. Other people are busy with other agendas. Now I'm wondering of I'm on the wrong board.
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

Of course, it should have had 'often'.
Often, people don't listen properly. Children and adults with less power than others will find this most frustrating.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh fuck.

I repeat some cheap jibe about the English SHOUTING at those who don't speak English, which is a dig at the English, forgetting that a good proportion of the audience has their irony detectors on "standby". If they have them fitted that is. That or their SOH is on holiday.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about communication in general, but i can testify that this listener misses a lot of stuff when worried and scared--at the moment, about health and family issues. It's rotten but i don't know how to fix it. And i sure can't explain it at my work (where it happens most dangerously) since mentioning such issues is a definite no-no and considered unprofessional.

I try to keep a paper trail so i can obsess over whether "they really meant that." Clutches head...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

Sigh. I said, you're joking, right? Yes, dig at English, yes accurate and yes, as funny to me at this moment as digs at the Americans is to Americans. Sorry, I'll get out of hell. I thought I was being funny at one point, but it obviously missed. Sorry.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

FWIW, I felt you, Taliesin. My family communication style is for folk to listen just long enough to formulate a counterpoint-- because it's never a discussion, it's always a debate-- and to charge in and defend that counterpoint whether or not the speaker is finished. Usually at several decibels higher than normal.

The big hint for me was the bit in the beginning where you said you weren't allowed to complete a sentence-- that is not ABOUT language comprehension. And I wonder if you are slowing down your speech to force calm on the situation. And I would be a bigass bar of chocolate that when you try to speak in soothing tones you get 'STOP PATRONIZING ME!"

[ 13. October 2013, 16:59: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Geeze Kelly, now I want to be a bigass bar of chocolate. At least I've got the big ass part down.

Sigh.

As you were.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Sigh. I said, you're joking, right? Yes, dig at English, yes accurate and yes, as funny to me at this moment as digs at the Americans is to Americans. Sorry, I'll get out of hell. I thought I was being funny at one point, but it obviously missed. Sorry.

Screwed that royally didn't I!

(btw, I'm English, though I live in Wales.)

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
Geeze Kelly, now I want to be a bigass bar of chocolate. At least I've got the big ass part down.

Sigh.

As you were.

Stop patronizing me.

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

I love you all. [Axe murder]

A glorious mishmash of wordage, a smorgasbord of verbal delight, in this crazy craft upon a sea of syllables...

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Well, verbal d . . something . .

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016