homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Isn't it a lovely day and aren't cute kittens wonderful? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Isn't it a lovely day and aren't cute kittens wonderful?
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also: no, I am not an expert on any particular religion. Especially not yours - which I am sure is a huge relief to you, since it means that I won't bother directly refuting any of your claims.

Not that I should be doing so anyway, seeing as how it would just upset your daughter. Whose wedding I will be officiating. A wedding, I hasten to point out, that she and her fiancé chose to not have done in your church. For, let's say: reasons.

So if you would kindly shut the fuck up and let us celebrate things, I won't have to take you aside and make you cry.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, honey. You don't need this thread; you've already leapt out of the frying pan.

Weddings make people CRAZY. Especially parents of the bride.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are the couple taking their inspiration from the Edward and Bella wedding in the Twilight movie, or something more like the royal wedding? Will you be playing guitar during the vows, Rook?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Mad] It is disgraceful how quickly this thread has been derailed. I thought it was going to be all about cute kittens and the hosts haven't done anything about it.

And what has the OP got to do with kittens and lovely days anyway.

Here is a lovely video of a cute kitten but the voiceover is the best thing of all [Axe murder] [Tear]

And here's a lovely day

Have a lovely day everyone [Angel] [Votive] [Two face] xxxxxxxx

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recipes! I saw the OP and came here for recipes!

TICTH unconscionable teases.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cute Kitten recipes - yum!

Hostly Edit: Probably NSFW!!!

how to cook a cat

[ 30. October 2013, 14:07: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What wonderful mental images to start the day with: a beautiful sunrise, cute kittens, and the Reverend Rook engaged in sensitive pastoral counseling with the assistance of a rusty farm implement.

NOTE TO MANAGEMENT: If I appear to be smiling more in your boring meetings this morning, it isn't because your presentations are any less reality-challenged than normal. Rather I'm probably imagining how much our company performance (and certainly morale) would improve if the Reverend Rook could be engaged to assist at one of your management strategy meetings...

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This cooking show has a very simple recipe for Christmas breakfast.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
And here's a lovely day

Lovely days are apparently illegal in the United States.

Now if we could only make cute kittens illegal as well...

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
Cute Kitten recipes - yum!

Hostly Edit: Probably NSFW!!!

OOOOEEER! SORRY! I didn't read it much beyond the title [Eek!] and didn't think about people at work.
A bit more hellish than I realised

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Lovely days are apparently illegal in the United States.

[Killing me] There are so many ways of responding to that I can't choose!

Well, I am doing well in Hell, one NSFW site that was even worse than I thought and an illegal video.

I think I will quit before I get into even more trouble.

[Devil]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the fuck? Jesus, people, no unleashing the crazy until the cute hellhost has had her coffee.

Further- one get-out-of-hell-free card to whomever gets me a photo of RooK in a clerical collar. Preferably in pin-up form.

PS - shitloads of youtube links make me want you all to die slowly. perhaps over a fire on a slowly turning skewer. useless dickheads.

[ 30. October 2013, 15:38: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Also: no, I am not an expert on any particular religion. Especially not yours - which I am sure is a huge relief to you, since it means that I won't bother directly refuting any of your claims.

Not that I should be doing so anyway, seeing as how it would just upset your daughter. Whose wedding I will be officiating. A wedding, I hasten to point out, that she and her fiancé chose to not have done in your church. For, let's say: reasons.

So if you would kindly shut the fuck up and let us celebrate things, I won't have to take you aside and make you cry.

Here I have been bursting with that particular secret for-- what, a couple years? -- and then you out yourself anyway.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

Further- one get-out-of-hell-free card to whomever gets me a photo of RooK in a clerical collar. Preferably in pin-up form.

passer wins.

best PM ever.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The original version by Bill Withers is still the best.

Yes, yes - I know he's slightly flat all the way through but it still works.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No.

Fucking no.

Scatter to Heaven and the Circus and wherever else you feel like. Stay here if you actually want to bitch about weddings or something.

orfeo
Hellhost

[ 31. October 2013, 01:28: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bitch about weddings?
Where do I start!

Female guests who arrive dressed in a dazzling array of man-made fibres as if for a cocktail party, cheap "fascinators" clamped to the side of the head, teetering on vertiginous heels and shrieking at each other like seabirds. Hardly ever will they have any covering on their shoulders, and the dresses all finish mid-thigh.

Ushers (groomsmen) who seem incapable of movement or speech unless masticating large wadges of gum, never bothing to close the mouth because EVERYONE is going to be fascinated at the contents.

Brides "fashionably" late - don't know where they got that idea from. Giggling uncontrollably through the service, in one case turning and giving a thumbs-up sign to her mates behind her in the middle of her vows.

The modern wedding is in a mess and the church is right in there helping to cheapen the whole business by its willingness not to impose some sense of decorum on people who behave like modern barbarians.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, I think, is that a year ago our minister used to ask families not to take pictures during the baptism, and now she doesn't. Was she told off by someone, or did she just give up?
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We try for no flash in any photos in church to reduce the distraction level. The people involved would get better photographs in that space if they set the cameras correctly for the situation and didn't use flash, because on camera flash only lights up the immediate area and leaves anything outside that near area in the dark - which usually means where the action is in the church situation.

It's surprising how many people with cameras, even DSLRs that I think would be much better in my hands, can't use them and don't know how to turn the flash off.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
Interestingly, I think, is that a year ago our minister used to ask families not to take pictures during the baptism, and now she doesn't. Was she told off by someone, or did she just give up?

Photo taking is one area we dn't have an issue with at Baptisms and weddings

The vicar asks people not to take photos as it can upset the babies and they are overawed anyway by the occasion and we don’t want to upset the day for them. And we give plenty of time to photos afterwards

At weddings too vicar asks not to take as flashes can disrupt the official photos and the photographer is being paid by the bride and groom so let’s not risk those lovely photos.

and it seems to work

But DON’T start me on the guests who talk all the way through the service and nobody can hear what is happening…

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The kitten in the video link posted by Thyme upthread is just SO adorable! What breed of kitten is that?
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bloody people coming into our churches, behaving like, well, people really... Keep 'em out till they learn to behave, say I! Makes life and worship so much simpler, don't know why God puts up with them all!

And I'm allergic to cats [Mad]

(Posted in response to the posts above Francophile's)

[ 31. October 2013, 11:23: Message edited by: Stejjie ]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
The kitten in the video link posted by Thyme upthread is just SO adorable! What breed of kitten is that?

One that will grow up to be a killer. Because that's what cats do. They are in fact top carnivore predators. Who might look magnificent right up to the point that they leap onto you and slash your throat open.

Now shut it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Bitch about weddings?
Where do I start!

Female guests who arrive dressed in a dazzling array of man-made fibres as if for a cocktail party, cheap "fascinators" clamped to the side of the head, teetering on vertiginous heels and shrieking at each other like seabirds. Hardly ever will they have any covering on their shoulders, and the dresses all finish mid-thigh.

I have visited mosques where I have been required to borrow a (not particularly clean) ankle-length, hooded garment before going in. Perhaps you could initiate this custom at your church.
[Biased]

Actually it's the brides who astound me -- "neck"lines practically down to their waists with everything about to fall out. I don't know why they need to dress like hookers when they've obviously just hooked someone.

(What's wrong with man-made fibres?)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
...(What's wrong with man-made fibres?) [/QB]

They can get awfully sweaty!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] I love good coding from a host [/tangent]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I kind of assumed RooK was officiating at a humanist service?

Anyway, Rookie-poo having mother-of-the-bride (I presume mother?) problems. There is a God! Or maybe that's actually more evidence of proof for the other guy?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No pictures at baptisms? Really? And people call US old-fashioned.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I kind of assumed RooK was officiating at a humanist service?

Anyway, Rookie-poo having mother-of-the-bride (I presume mother?) problems. There is a God! Or maybe that's actually more evidence of proof for the other guy?

Weddings are much more proof of the other guy than of God.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Tell me, why exactly is it that large numbers of quite attractive women suddenly decide as brides or bridesmaids that they need to put their hair up in a hairstyle that is completely untried and no-one has ever seen them in before?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They've never been a bride before? (In some cases.)

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

But that's the point. Where is it written that when you're a bride, you must abandon whatever normally makes you attractive in favour of something that looks like a weaverbird nest?

[ 31. October 2013, 21:06: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Tell me, why exactly is it that large numbers of quite attractive women suddenly decide as brides or bridesmaids that they need to put their hair up in a hairstyle that is completely untried and no-one has ever seen them in before?

I believe it was a cultural thing that unmarried women just didn't 'put their hair up'. Some kind of signal, alternatively a more practical style for those who would be working in the home after they married.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Here I have been bursting with that particular secret for-- what, a couple years? -- and then you out yourself anyway.

Apparently, in Canada "Marriages may be performed by members of the clergy, marriage commissioners, judges, justices of the peace or clerks of the court." (Wikipedia) I would guess marriage commissioner, but why would that be such a big deal?!

However, if RooK is actually clergy, then I for one would be awed by his acting abilities.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
... but why would that be such a big deal?!

Beats me,he told me not to spread it around, and I didn't.

And I'm sorry, I lack the proper above-it-all ness for it not to be a big deal to me-- RooK's my bro,therefore to me it is a big deal. But that's just silly little Kelly again.

Kel//didn't I once make a big flipping deal about sharing a baptism birthday with someone once? Must have embarrased the hell out of him with my silliness. And me being Lutheran and all I guess it doesn't count.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Apparently, in Canada "Marriages may be performed by members of the clergy, marriage commissioners, judges, justices of the peace or clerks of the court." (Wikipedia) I would guess marriage commissioner, but why would that be such a big deal?!

However, if RooK is actually clergy, then I for one would be awed by his acting abilities.

Location of wedding unknown. Usual location of Rook no longer in Canada.

That damn maple leaf leads people to all sorts of questionable assumptions, doesn't it?

[ 01. November 2013, 20:42: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Usual location of Rook no longer in Canada.

Oh dear... And here I was wondering why drone flyovers were becoming more and more frequent.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet RooK looks as cute as kittens on a lovely day in his clericals. He might even outshine the bride. Depending on the bride, of course.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last Saturday I sang a a wedding. My fellow choristers roundly dissed every aspect of it in a pretty snobbish way. It has to be admitted though, the bride was orange, and the groom had taken the trouble to spell out "She's mine" in diamantes on the soles of his shoes. I wasn't close enough (or interested enough) to ascertain whether the apostrophe was correctly placed, or even included. I was too distracted by the two little flower girls charging round and round in their clompy shoes(*) while we attempted to sing 'Ave Maria' over the sound of the congo's chatter.

* Dear Mother of Flower Girl,

If you're not able to persuade the child to stay in a pew (even though you're brandishing an iPad and she must have, like, a doll or something she could bring) perhaps you could take off the clompy shoes? Just a thought.

Thanks so much.

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist:
quote:
The modern wedding is in a mess and the church is right in there helping to cheapen the whole business by its willingness not to impose some sense of decorum on people who behave like modern barbarians.
You mean we should go back to having weddings that last for several days where the wine flows like water and everyone gets ratted?

Surely, if Jesus didn't want us to get drunk at weddings he wouldn't have changed all that water into wine (John 2:1-11)?

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bitch about weddings?
Where do I start!

Ushers (groomsmen) who seem incapable of movement or speech unless masticating large wadges of gum, never bothing to close the mouth because EVERYONE is going to be fascinated at the contents.

Brides "fashionably" late - don't know where they got that idea from. Giggling uncontrollably through the service, in one case turning and giving a thumbs-up sign to her mates behind her in the middle of her vows.

Your "sense of decorum" is someone else's stuffy formality, and your "modern barbarians" is someone else's "not still living in the 1950s"

Culture changes. Get over it.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Sioni and I went to a wedding on Saturday and it was immense fun. It was held in a registry office (a suitably distinguished room in St George's Hall, Liverpool), most of the photographs were taken in the old Court No 1, the transport arrangements were A*, reception was in a pub/hotel/restaurant and the whole occasion, while not entirely error-free, went off with minimum fuss.

Ministers should set stiffer criteria about who can get married in churches. So there.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

passer wins.

best PM ever.

Me too. PLEASE. me too...

[ 04. November 2013, 20:53: Message edited by: The Weeder ]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by Karl LB
quote:
It is NOT culture for a bride to be so drunk that there must be serious doubts as to whether or not the union is legally valid.

It isn't culture to have people opening beer cans at the back of the church while their friends are being married at the front.

It isn't culture to watch someone having to rearrange her strapless dress so that her nipples are covered.

I have little time for what you call "stuffy formality" but I have a lot of time for basic good manners and civilised behaviour.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Do you go to enough weddings that you have been able to discern that this sort of thing is a common occurrence, L'organist, or are you getting exercised over abstractions?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Well, it's a culture. Just not a very cultured one.

(Although the bride definitely needs to be in possession of enough faculties to demonstrate capacity to consent.)

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
posted by Karl LB
quote:
It is NOT culture for a bride to be so drunk that there must be serious doubts as to whether or not the union is legally valid.

It isn't culture to have people opening beer cans at the back of the church while their friends are being married at the front.

It isn't culture to watch someone having to rearrange her strapless dress so that her nipples are covered.

I have little time for what you call "stuffy formality" but I have a lot of time for basic good manners and civilised behaviour.

But that is none of what you complained in your previous post. Your complaints in this post are reasonable, those in the last were a bit of "Get off my lawn!"

I dislike weddings in general, but my ire is more often drawn by officiants. Ministers who, if they are the representatives of their religion, make me glad I am on the outside of it.* Organists who play what they will, not the couple's choice, choristers who think they are the main show, etc. Although I have helped photograph a handful of weddings, less than 10. Just enough to make me also hate the wedding party, so...

*I don't subscribe to your religion, minister, but I am still certain he does not have his head as far up his arse as you do yours.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilbuddha:
quote:
Organists who play what they will, not the couple's choice, choristers who think they are the main show, etc.
Would you agree that choristers who lower their standards to sing a banal pop song, specially arranged in four-part harmony by the organist at the request of the bride and groom, are entitled to feel slightly miffed if the congregation sit and talk (loudly) amongst themselves all the way through it?
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by lilBuddha
quote:
But that is none of what you complained in your previous post. Your complaints in this post are reasonable, those in the last were a bit of "Get off my lawn!"

I dislike weddings in general, but my ire is more often drawn by officiants. Ministers who, if they are the representatives of their religion, make me glad I am on the outside of it.* Organists who play what they will, not the couple's choice, choristers who think they are the main show, etc. Although I have helped photograph a handful of weddings, less than 10. Just enough to make me also hate the wedding party, so...

Not so: what I complained about in my original post was inappropriate behaviour for the ceremony and inappropriate behaviour/dress for the place.

As for your assertion that any organist for a wedding will "play what they will" you are so wide of the mark as to be in another hemisphere.

In common with many, perhaps most, organists I spend an in ordinate amount of time with wedding couples trying to help them with the music for their ceremony so that we achieve, as far as possible, something that matches their expectations, hopes and dreams.

To that end every couple who marries at the church where I play gets the chance to meet with me at least twice: first during a general session for all couples getting married during a six month period and then individually. The general session lasts about an hour and a half and is very relaxed: a quartet of choir are there to give brief samples of hymns and anthems, there are CDs of hymns, anthems and organ music for couples to borrow, I play over the more popular choices. I have contact details for solo instrumentalists (trumpeter, harpist, violinist, clarinetist) if they want something different. There is a glass of wine and nibbles to put people at their ease and I try to make arrangements to meet every couple on their own to sort out their requirements. Individual sessions can last up to 2 hours depending on how much time the couple need to make up their mind. In the past I have seen one couple for a total of 8 [EIGHT] hours to get the wedding music they wanted.

And still - it is not uncommon for a couple to ignore all of this, not to come to the general session, not to reply to messages (voice-mail, text and email) to make an appointment, not to borrow a sample CD.

One classic case can sum it up: nothing heard from couple despite every effort being made by me and the parish priest to get them to at least tell us what they wanted. Orders of service arrived in the church only 10 minutes before the start time. They listed an opening piece that isn't written for organ and for which I didn't have the music, one of the "hymns" was Angels (as sung by Robbie Williams) - again, we don't have the music and none was supplied.

The rest we could cope with BUT that was only because, by good luck one of the choir happened to be working in the churchyard and so was available to come in to sing Laudate Dominum by Mozart (the couple hadn't requested choir) and I happened to have a transcription of the Radetsky March and to be able to just play it at the drop of a hat.

Notwithstanding all that, the couple made a formal complaint to the bishop because the choir they hadn't asked for wasn't there, because we couldn't just reproduce Angels without the music, and that they hadn't had The Lark ascending by Vaughan Williams played at the start.

I play for roughly 80 weddings per year (I cover more than one church) and have been doing this for over 30 years. No, I'm NOT saying get off my lawn, I'm asking for courtesy and good manners.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
lilBuddha: Organists who play what they will, not the couple's choice
In my experience, the choice of hymns is always a negotiation between the couple, the celebrant and the choir/musicians. The couple doesn't have free choice without taking anyone into account.

[ETA: Although if I'd ever get married in RooK's church, I would insist on Shine Jesus shine, repeated at least 50 times to make sure that His light will shine over our wedding.]

[ 05. November 2013, 11:35: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016