homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Isn't it a lovely day and aren't cute kittens wonderful? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Isn't it a lovely day and aren't cute kittens wonderful?
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist wins the thread for having to deal with the couple who don't understand the difference between a living breathing musician and a jukebox.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
L'organist wins the thread for having to deal with the couple who don't understand the difference between a living breathing musician and a jukebox.

I must have missed the bit where they tried to stick a coin in her slot

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
As for your assertion that any organist for a wedding will "play what they will" you are so wide of the mark as to be in another hemisphere.

To imply that all members of any group completely conform to the same standards is a bit ludicrous.

As for "proper" behaviour, that is perspective, isn't it? Shoulders exposed: acceptability is generational. Nipples exposed: yeah, that is a bit over the line. See the difference?

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
lilbuddha:
quote:
Organists who play what they will, not the couple's choice, choristers who think they are the main show, etc.
Would you agree that choristers who lower their standards to sing a banal pop song, specially arranged in four-part harmony by the organist at the request of the bride and groom, are entitled to feel slightly miffed if the congregation sit and talk (loudly) amongst themselves all the way through it?
Of course they are entitled to feel miffed, though I should hope they would feel miffed regardless of choice of music.
However, neither they, nor any of the other officiants, are at a wedding for their own pleasure.
You, and the others, are there for the couple being married.

People should be courteous to each other, regardless of where one is sitting in the building, All categories will have some who fail this.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno. It seems to me that, if a couple decides to marry in a church, they are deciding to have their wedding be primarily a worship service to God, and the minster and organist need to make that clear.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Zach82 [Eek!] [Ultra confused]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno, I've read your book. I cannot help but think Jesus was hardly as stodgy as some of his adherents.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It goes without saying that, if a coupe decides to marry outside the Church, they are free to incorporate any Jesus they like into their ceremony.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

So, I suppose what you are saying is that I'd do poorly as a stick merchant outside of most churches.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilbuddha:
quote:
Of course they are entitled to feel miffed, though I should hope they would feel miffed regardless of choice of music.
However, neither they, nor any of the other officiants, are at a wedding for their own pleasure.

Well, I only mentioned the choice of music to illustrate the amount of extra effort that the choir and organist put in to accommodate the bride and groom's choice. If they'd asked for Rutter's 'The Lord bless you and keep you' we could have sung it in our sleep, and we are used to wedding congregations treating us like wallpaper. It was the combination of demanding extra effort (including the organist having to do a special arrangement of the song they wanted) and then totally ignoring the result that was annoying.

And you're right, none of us would give up our Saturday afternoon to attend the wedding of two complete strangers for pleasure. But most of us are there because we think that getting married in church is important and we want to support other people who think so too. Even if they do make us sit through that ghastly story about the Two Dinosaurs yet again [Projectile]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I dunno. It seems to me that, if a couple decides to marry in a church, they are deciding to have their wedding be primarily a worship service to God...

Just because one might hope that doesn't mean that it is always, or even often, the case.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:
I dunno. It seems to me that, if a couple decides to marry in a church, they are deciding to have their wedding be primarily a worship service to God...

Just because one might hope that doesn't mean that it is always, or even often, the case.
Thus carrying us forward to the second part of that sentence you cited.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

For clarity, the service is not for God. The service is not for his official* servants. The service is for the couple.
Now, the couple should choose a church which fits; i.e. third marriage, same sex hippies should not expect to be welcome in an orthodox church. But the contract should work in both directions, too often it does not seems to.

*In human POV, at least.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does get rather boring if you regularly sing at weddings and the vicar always preaches the same sermon. At least there is some variety in the music. Some of the time, anyway.

But the bossiest talk I've ever heard given was at a registry office wedding.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
For clarity, the service is not for God. The service is not for his official* servants. The service is for the couple.
Now, the couple should choose a church which fits; i.e. third marriage, same sex hippies should not expect to be welcome in an orthodox church. But the contract should work in both directions, too often it does not seems to.

*In human POV, at least.

I am sure there are many venues open to wedding predicated on such an understanding, including the Elks Lodge, a hotel ball room, or a serene beach at sunrise. There may even be a decommissioned church available to rent out.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

You are as precious as ever, Zach82. You should hope my interpretation is correct. I would imagine clenching that stick for eternity would get a bit wearing.

Gives me an idea for a new Gregorian chant, though.

Stickus en rectumus, necessarium. ungh!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But there is a difficulty there: once the happy couple-to-be have chosen to have a wedding in the church for whatever more worldly reason - the carpet matches the bouquets, perhaps, or the rood screen is a nice backdrop for photos, or it is convenient to the pub, etc. - you can't go back and change their reason for making that decision.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:

But there is a difficulty there: once the happy couple-to-be have chosen to have a wedding in the church for whatever more worldly reason - the carpet matches the bouquets, perhaps, or the rood screen is a nice backdrop for photos, or it is convenient to the pub, etc. - you can't go back and change their reason for making that decision.
One can, however, tell them they can't have pop music at the service or release butterflies into the church, because if they wanted that sort of tawdry wank they had lots of alternatives to a church wedding.

[ 05. November 2013, 21:27: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why can't they have pop music or (yuck) releasing butterflies at a church wedding? Where in Scripture does Christ forbid those things?

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were asked about releasing doves at a wedding * and when I checked there are wildlife protection guidelines for doing so (didn't include checking to make sure no peregrine nests nearby).

Not sure that releasing butterflies wouldn't have similar recommendations ~ particularly inside the building.

* we did wonder about the symbolism of joining together in matrimony and demonstrating staying together by letting two birds fly off separately.

But the it will be the fault of the church that delivers that bad news for sticking to the guidelines.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's also the question of how responsible a couple are for the behaviour of their guests. For example, I personally loathe seeing women dressed in black at weddings. I know it's really fashionable these days, but I Do. Not. Like. It. Black is for funerals, people. Where were you dragged up? [Disappointed]

Personally when I get married I am planning to politely specify on the invitation that I would like women not to dress in black (and if they ask, I'm prepared to tell them that it's because I'm old-fashioned and was brought up to think it's not polite, and it's my wedding, dammit, and if I don't want women dressed in black I'm going to ask for no women dressed in black*). But there's a limit to how much you can try to put boundaries around people's behaviour. It's hard.

*Possibly I'm going to be bridezilla on this point, but at least I'll be bridezilla in defence of good manners. [Two face]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see no problem with having pop music in a church wedding. Matter of fact, many years ago I played Bryan Adam's "Everything I Do I Do It For You" for a couple who were 100% regular attendees of our church and are still thoroughly devout Christians a couple of decades later. So it's not just a question of blow-ins.

The relevant fact is that they gave me quite a few weeks notice of what they wanted me to play, therefore giving me a chance to either find print music or work out the key elements of the song. Rather than rock up and decide I could play any top 40 hit that was their heart's desire.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, when I got married our recessional piece was Verdi's Triumphal March from Aida. Some people might think that was inappropriate in a church setting too - though the organist was delighted to be asked for something other than the Wedding March.

By the time our organist had finished arranging it, the pop song was actually quite a nice piece of music. Pity nobody was listening.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've had my one (and probably only) wedding, sans clergy, sans music, sans bridesmaids, pagebrats, flowers, favours or photographer. People wore what they pleased, snapped pix when they liked. I gave them food and champagne and a bonfire. My idea was that we should all relax and enjoy ourselves.

What can I have been thinking of?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I see no problem with having pop music in a church wedding. Matter of fact, many years ago I played Bryan Adam's "Everything I Do I Do It For You" for a couple who were 100% regular attendees of our church and are still thoroughly devout Christians a couple of decades later. So it's not just a question of blow-ins.

The relevant fact is that they gave me quite a few weeks notice of what they wanted me to play, therefore giving me a chance to either find print music or work out the key elements of the song. Rather than rock up and decide I could play any top 40 hit that was their heart's desire.

See, I can completely understand that, and L'Organist's similar complaint - I'd be pissed off if a wedding couple just decided I was a human jukebox.

My problem is with the "This is a church: no pop music allowed!" attitude of Zach (and others) on this thread and the confusion of "personal taste" with "ecclesiology" they suggest.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Well, I've had my one (and probably only) wedding, sans clergy, sans music, sans bridesmaids, pagebrats, flowers, favours or photographer. People wore what they pleased, snapped pix when they liked. I gave them food and champagne and a bonfire. My idea was that we should all relax and enjoy ourselves.

What can I have been thinking of?

This is dreadful! Think of all those choirboys who didn't get paid! What about the poor photographer who had to go on benefit to feed his children?

You're clearly a new-age hippie type out to destroy the foundations of western civilisation!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Well, when I got married our recessional piece was Verdi's Triumphal March from Aida.

Ours was 'When I'm Sixty-Four' by The Beatles. [Big Grin] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Frankly Firenze, you completely failed to boost the economy as was your duty.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'This is a church: no pop music' is quite a good way of repelling people, I suppose! We are few but pure at heart.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Starbug:
quote:
Ours was 'When I'm Sixty-Four' by The Beatles.
Very appropriate!

I'm sorry I brought up the subject of pop music at all now - our church does not have a 'no pop music' rule and we sing all sorts of stuff that I personally don't like. Everyone seems to think that I am completely against pop music in church and refuse to sing music I don't like. Neither of these is true. Or are you all just winding me up? I don't come to the infernal regions that often, so I might not have noticed...

I have even been known to sing music by Benjamin Britten. Now THERE's an objectionable composer. Obsessed with fish, too. Give me the heavy metal version of 'Let all mortal flesh keep silence' any day.

[ 06. November 2013, 12:14: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Frankly Firenze, you completely failed to boost the economy as was your duty.

Our wine merchant came out of it quite well.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Jane R.
quote:
Well, when I got married our recessional piece was Verdi's Triumphal March from Aida.
I came into the church to that. Our organist liked it, too.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually, many churches and denominations decidedly teach against this view. The service is a worship service first, and a solemnization of vows second--in the same manner baptism or ordination services are worship services. So in that sense it is as much "for" God and his official servants as any worship service is. This is why Roman Catholics can fulfill their Sunday obligation by attending a wedding, provided it is scheduled at the right time. I sang in the choir of a Catholic church for a while, and they often had a few summer travelers sitting in at the back for a late Saturday afternoon wedding.

As for pop music--most of it isn't forbidden (when it is forbidden) because of musical taste. It's forbidden because its text is antithetical to certain Christian doctrines. Take, for instance, Dan Fogelberg's "Longer Than."* It implies that the soul has been present from the beginning of creation, and has loved the other soul from that time. If it is given the sanction of being used in the church, that creates more than a little confusion.

Most of the churches where I have worked would allow a popular piece of music if the text was indeed consistent with the religious nature of the service. Otherwise, it was always suggested that the reception was the place to feature that particular piece. I've been fortunate to work with a number of ministers who could do that quite tactfully.

*Yes, I realize that's hardly popular music anymore, but at a time when most of my contemporaries were getting married, this song was a particular issue. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to chase some kids off my lawn.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, organbuilder.

And there are practical reasons for some objections.

First up: how many small churches have a decent sound-system for reproducing music at appropriate volume without distortion?

Where are churches meant to get the money to invest in the sort of electrical equipment they're likely to need?

What about security - and increased insurance premiums? We can't even keep our rooves safe, so fat chance for more portable electronics.

Copyright? The PRS is already sniffing about over popular music at funerals - and don't think they won't demand churches get licensed: they've already made all hairdressers garages, etc, that play a radio that customers can hear get a licence (no, they're not free either).

Above all: CONTEXT! Whitney Houston trilling I will always love you * may well make a couple's day - but perhaps better for a dance or to walk into their reception? Played on a portable boom-box in a large building with an 80foot vault it is less than impressive.

My wedding: well, into a nice processional Walton wrote for the film of Richard III, out to the final movement of Widor Symphonie No 6.

* and IMO Dolly Parton does the song better - but then she did write it...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
'This is a church: no pop music' is quite a good way of repelling people, I suppose! We are few but pure at heart.

Yet, somehow, the symbols that go along with marrying in a church continue to be a huge draw even in this secular society of ours.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A pop song would be ok in our church, as long as it's somehow integrated into the service as a whole. I might even be the one playing it. However, I don't think that including one 'just because the couple likes it' would be easily accepted.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
quote:

Actually, many churches and denominations decidedly teach against this view. The service is a worship service first, and a solemnization of vows second--in the same manner baptism or ordination services are worship services. So in that sense it is as much "for" God and his official servants as any worship service is.
You mistake my point. My point is not that God does not belong in the service. Nor that the service should not be religious. Nor indeed that there should be no expectation of manners.
The ceremony is for the benefit of the couple. And that I think God, as described by Christians, doesn't need hushed and reverent tones.
I am saying the officiants oft times focus more on form than function. I am saying that "proper" behaviour is more often a perception than a fixed pattern.
----------------------
My opinion, take from it what you will: A service is for the benefit of the people. All of them. As soon as a given class' needs are given primacy, you've lost the plot.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
quote:

Actually, many churches and denominations decidedly teach against this view. The service is a worship service first, and a solemnization of vows second--in the same manner baptism or ordination services are worship services. So in that sense it is as much "for" God and his official servants as any worship service is.
You mistake my point. My point is not that God does not belong in the service. Nor that the service should not be religious. Nor indeed that there should be no expectation of manners.
The ceremony is for the benefit of the couple. And that I think God, as described by Christians, doesn't need hushed and reverent tones.
I am saying the officiants oft times focus more on form than function. I am saying that "proper" behaviour is more often a perception than a fixed pattern.
----------------------
My opinion, take from it what you will: A service is for the benefit of the people. All of them. As soon as a given class' needs are given primacy, you've lost the plot.

I rather think Organ Builder hasn't mistaken your point. You are refusing to understand the Church's theology of wedding ceremonies, which are not, so far as the Church understands, mere ornaments on the couple's special day.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I never said the service was a mere ornament.
A wedding in context of a religious ceremony is the couple affirming their faith and avowing their intent to include it as part of their marriage. In the case of religions which include a full service with the wedding ceremony, the crowd ought to respect the service.

However, I do think the focus on the trappings misses the point.
And I do think much of what is viewed as "proper" is more a matter of perspective than reality.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

lilbuddha:
quote:
My point is not that God does not belong in the service. Nor that the service should not be religious. Nor indeed that there should be no expectation of manners.
You have a very strange way of making it, then. Perhaps if you avoided comments like this:

quote:
I cannot help but think Jesus was hardly as stodgy as some of his adherents.
and this:

quote:
the service is not for God. The service is not for his official* servants. The service is for the couple.
and this:

quote:
I would imagine clenching that stick for eternity would get a bit wearing.
it might be easier to understand what you mean.
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You mistake my point.

Given the number of people who seem to be reading your posts the same way I have, it seems more likely to me that the point you have made may not have been the point you intended.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
I never said the service was a mere ornament.

However, I do think the focus on the trappings misses the point.

Perhaps my confusion stems from the fact that I see "ornament" and "trapping" as synonyms.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I got trapped by an ornament once. Took me ages to get my foot out. And the staples really hurt.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

While we're on the subject of pop-songs at church, we might as well watch this clip from the golden era of the Simpsons.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me of when our choir was asked to sing Cohen's 'Hallelujah' at a wedding. We did agree, but left out the part about being tied to the kitchen chair [Ultra confused]

But then I guess that we're used to singing strange words with a straight face - after all, one of our most requested songs for weddings is 'Lord of the Dance': they whipped and they stripped....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hallelujah. Beautiful song, but a weird choice for a wedding, all about love gone wrong. At least the tying to the kitchen chair part was about when things were going good.

"Love is not a victory march. It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah." Now's there's a sentiment I'd love to contemplate at my wedding.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can make an alternative "wedding music from hell" list, starting with inappropriate/offensive songs or hymns.

I'll start you off with:
Lord of the Dance
Jerusalem
Kumbaya

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

"Fight the good fight"? Or for divorce, perhaps "Out of my bondage, sorrow and night"...

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Copyright? The PRS is already sniffing about over popular music at funerals - and don't think they won't demand churches get licensed: they've already made all hairdressers garages, etc, that play a radio that customers can hear get a licence (no, they're not free either).

Sometime I might set up a separate Hell thread about my personal views on the stupidity of some copyright laws and their implementation.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

My wife and the organist vetoed "O Zion, Open Wide Thy Gates" for our wedding.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I myself got married in a church purely for decoration. Although, by "church" you should probably substitute "lovely little shack packed with benches on a remote island". And it was more a matter of my wife having fantasized getting married there due to spending summers as a child on said remote island than any sort of religious affiliation.

And the organist happily played the Imperial March for me during my entrance.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016