homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wedding music from Hell (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Wedding music from Hell
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On another thread L'organist proposed:

quote:
We can make an alternative "wedding music from hell" list, starting with inappropriate/offensive songs or hymns.

I'll start you off with:
Lord of the Dance
Jerusalem
Kumbaya

The thread has now moved into discussion of silly rules God might or might not make. Or something. TBH I skimmed past it because it was boring me [Big Grin]

Anyway, inappropriate songs for weddings?

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church normally has a couple of people to 'man' it during weddings - point people to the toilets, get tissues, change the bride's baby's pooey nappy (yes really!). I often used to be part of the team.

One particularly memorable wedding the bride and groom decided that whilst they were signing the register, they'd have "We've got tonight" playing [Eek!]

quote:
I know it's late,I know you're weary
I know your plans don't include me

Beautiful statement to start your marriage with [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't encounter it personally, but when Lips of an Angel by the band Hinder was a big hit it was apparently turning up at weddings at a lot.

Rather odd, when the lyrics are all about talking to someone OTHER than your current girlfriend.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Rather odd, when the lyrics are all about talking to someone OTHER than your current girlfriend.

Like your wife?

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we talking the wedding or the reception here? I heard the Rod Stewart "If you want my body and you think I'm sexy" song at a reception once.

Made me cringe a little.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
quote:

Like your wife?
Like your ex.

I new a girl that had her entire wedding party recess out of the church dancing to Van Morrison's Moondance.

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the bridal waltz done to Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares to You" which is a pining breakup song, very weird.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a Vietnamese recessional to the tune of "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille."

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at a wedding where the bride entered to: "(I'm) goin' to the chapel and I'm gonna get ma-ha-ha-ried..."

Oddly, at this same (RC) wedding, the roman catholics (bride's famili and friends) in the congregation did not take communion but the anglicans (groom's family and friends), having listened carefully to the priest's invitation, decided that they qualified and did. Just as well, as the priest had consecrated enough bread for a multitude, and a couple of chalices full of wine.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right now, Chris Evans (the DJ not the actor) is playing someone's request as it was their wedding dance... Gangsta's Paradise.

OK the gospel choir sound great but...?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
I was at a wedding where the bride entered to: "(I'm) goin' to the chapel and I'm gonna get ma-ha-ha-ried..."

Oddly, at this same (RC) wedding, the roman catholics (bride's famili and friends) in the congregation did not take communion but the anglicans (groom's family and friends), having listened carefully to the priest's invitation, decided that they qualified and did. Just as well, as the priest had consecrated enough bread for a multitude, and a couple of chalices full of wine.

John

That sounds like the Aussie film Muriel's Wedding, in which Muriel walks down the aisle to ABBA's "I do, I do, I do"
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From which we conclude that not everyone is obsessive saddos like us who actually listen to all the words of a song. It's not unusual; how many times have the hymns in a service clearly been chosen by the tenuous relationship between the theme of the service and the somewhat misleading first line?

[ 08. November 2013, 08:31: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kumbaya
We like Kumbaya, sing it all the time.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Didn't encounter it personally, but when Lips of an Angel by the band Hinder was a big hit it was apparently turning up at weddings at a lot.

Another one is REM's "The the one I love". On the basis of the title, it's fine as a wedding song. If you listen to the lyrics, you realise it's about a total bastard who flits from relationship to relationship and sees the other person as a "simple prop to occupy my time".

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wife was once a bridesmaid in a wedding where the processional was "The Rainbow Connection" from "The Muppet Movie." The bridesmaids all wore dresses of the same design but in different colors.

I once attended a wedding where the bride, named Tara, used "Tara's Theme" from "Gone With the Wind" for her processional.

And I've been to two weddings where the bride used the wedding march from "The Sound of Music"—very hard not to start singing "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?"

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
We had a Vietnamese recessional to the tune of "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille."

The bridal party was recessing from the lights of the barroom to a rented hotel room, perhaps?
Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the songs played at weddings should be more instructional.

50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, for instance.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
From which we conclude that not everyone is obsessive saddos like us who actually listen to all the words of a song. It's not unusual; how many times have the hymns in a service clearly been chosen by the tenuous relationship between the theme of the service and the somewhat misleading first line?

At one of the first weddings I sang for when I joined the choir of my previous church, the couple had picked "My song is love unknown". What was even odder was that those of the congo who were actually singing didn't seem to notice that the rest of the words didn't entirely fit the spirit of the occasion.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:

quote:
We can make an alternative "wedding music from hell" list, starting with inappropriate/offensive songs or hymns.

I'll start you off with:

Jerusalem

I thought Jerusalem was a fairly traditional for a wedding?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

quote:

I'll start you off with:

Jerusalem

Just because it's traditional or usual doesn't make it appropriate.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jerusalem is OK - much better than "I vow to thee" or "Sing Hosanna"

The problem is that knowledge of "hymns" (among brides and grooms) is so limited these days that it won't be long before someone asks for "broad beans are sleeping on a blankety bed".....

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was once asked for Ding dong merrily on high for an August wedding. I think it referred to the fight between the families widely expected to break out at some point during the reception...

[ 08. November 2013, 14:11: Message edited by: Oferyas ]

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:

quote:

I'll start you off with:

Jerusalem

How did it get to be considered a wedding hymn? (We sang it in North Carolina at the wedding of wife's cousin and her English husband.)
Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...all together now
When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old
He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold;
With a shield on his arm and a lance in his hand
For God and for valour he rode through the land.

Not wildly suitable.

I've also seen printed in an order of service:
During the signing of the registers : Nights in White Satin

As for the person who likes Kumbaya for weddings:
Someone's crying Lord, Kumbaya... ?
Presumably the bride's father at the thought of the bills...

Recessional for an ex-RC priest:
Doing the Lambeth walk (Oi!)

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

The problem is that knowledge of "hymns" (among brides and grooms) is so limited these days that it won't be long before someone asks for "broad beans are sleeping on a blankety bed".....

in a blankety bed, please!

I think 'Jerusalem' is popular because people really enjoy singing it together loudly. I do myself.

We've had 'Sing Hosanna' at the wedding of a couple of publicans who wanted 'keep me serving till the break of day.' They also had 'Always look on the bright side of life' as a recessional. This is becoming increasingly popular.

The one hymn I've had to dissuade someone from having was 'We plough the fields and scatter...'
'But we had it at Our Dad's funeral.'

[ 08. November 2013, 17:29: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

in a blankety bed, please!

I think 'Jerusalem' is popular because people really enjoy singing it together loudly. I do myself.

We've had 'Sing Hosanna' at the wedding of a couple of publicans who wanted 'keep me serving till the break of day.' They also had 'Always look on the bright side of life' as a recessional. This is becoming increasingly popular.

The one hymn I've had to dissuade someone from having was 'We plough the fields and scatter...'
'But we had it at Our Dad's funeral.'

From a couple who the onlyh ymn they knew was one he sang as school

He who would valiant be
Gainst all disaster….

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried to dissuade a couple from having "Autumn Days", complete with "jet planes refuelling in mid-air", although I did manage to rewrite it a little.

On the Big Day, no-one sang - as I had predicted. Embarrassment all round. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 08. November 2013, 17:33: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He who would valiant be goes on to say

‘there’s no discouragement shall make him once relent
his first avowed intent to be a pilgrim..

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Kumbaya' and 'Sing Hosanna' are okay, IMO. The first calls on God to be with people through the ups and downs of their lives, and marriage does include a few of these, so why not mention it? The second praises God and asks him to help us do what's right and to face every day with the right attitude. Divine support like this is what newly-married couples need, isn't it?

In any case, are there that hymns that are specifically for newly married couples? Maybe a few. But I'd rather get married with a hymn that I know and like because it encourages me in my faith journey rather than picking something I don't know just because it might be applicable to romantic love.

Anyway, back to the topic: I once went to a wedding where the minister got us to sing nursery rhymes to perk us up. I really didn't appreciate that!

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
In any case, are there that hymns that are specifically for newly married couples? Maybe a few.

Jill Jenkins' “We pledge to one another” isn't bad, and uses a well-known tune ("I vow to thee my country").
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Famously (but perhaps apocyphrally), some couples have asked for a school hymn "Fight the good fight with all thy might". There can also be issues when "All things bright and beautiful" is chosen, if they have the verse that mentions "the purple headed mountain"...

But then, hardly anyone seems to sing at weddings, except the parents who are old enough to have sung hymns regularly. The marrying couple are often too nervous to sing and the rest of the guests scarcely know how to (it seems). Perhaps that's an Anglican/establishment issue where anyone can marry in their local church, regardless of any faith or church connection?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:
Kumbaya
We like Kumbaya, sing it all the time.
♬ Someone's barfing Lord Kumbaya ♪♬...

-it's really good if you act it our while singing it.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking of after the reception:

[Come, O thou Traveller unknown,
whom still I hold, but cannot see!]
My company before is gone,
and I am left alone with Thee;
with Thee all night I mean to stay,
and wrestle till the break of day.

[Eek!]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once attended a wedding where they played "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin as the bride walked down the aisle. It's certainly a romantic song.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jill Jenkins' We pledge to one another is horrible, maudlin and mawkish. And note that from the first line it should be sung by the couple alone - so if its mass singing you're after really only appropriate at one of those mass weddings as favoured by the Moonies.

Jerusalem is NOT a hymn - it is a national song (at best) and is not appropriate at any time.

I vow to thee my country for a wedding? No, not suitable.

O perfect love, all human thought transcending is good and has two good tunes (Strength and stay & Highwood).

Yes, there is a huge problem with young people not knowing ANY hymns these days: maybe if they've been to a church comp they may know a few ghastly worship songs but on the whole they tend to be of the If I were a butterfly variety.

Of course, you could make up the ANTI wedding hymn list - for those good old-fashioned shotgun weddings how about:
  • Great God, what do I see and hear (at the entrance of the bride)
  • Courage brother, do not stumble
  • Behold! the bridegroom cometh in the middle of the night
  • Through the night of doubt and sorrow
You could round the whole thing off with Andrew Lloyd Webber's Pie Jesu (a frequent request a few years ago) or the Barber Adagio set to the words of the Agnus Dei.

And the recessional could be The War March of the Priests from Athalia by Mendelssohn.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have courage, my boy, to say 'No!'

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have we missed See The Conquering Hero Comes! from Judas Maccabaeus?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
But then, hardly anyone seems to sing at weddings, except the parents who are old enough to have sung hymns regularly. The marrying couple are often too nervous to sing and the rest of the guests scarcely know how to (it seems). Perhaps that's an Anglican/establishment issue where anyone can marry in their local church, regardless of any faith or church connection?

At least one hymn at a wedding is very common in my neck of the woods on this side of the pond. "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" and "Now Thank We All Our God" seem to be common choices. Congregations generally sing fairly well, and many churches have policies on what music is acceptable and what isn't.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Famously (but perhaps apocyphrally), some couples have asked for a school hymn "Fight the good fight with all thy might".
Definitely not apocryphal here. I was at a wedding very many years ago with the rest of my youth group.

This was one of the hymns in the days of printers doing the programme. Said programme had reached the happy couple for editing too late for any errors to be corrected. Throught the entire hymn and chorus the words, "fight the good fight with all thy might" were in block capitals. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Have courage, my boy, to say 'No!'

Actually looked that one up, and listened to the truly awful MIDI organ/choir rendition. Oh Dear. I don't know how anyone could ever sing that piece of Victorian moralistic claptrap with a straight face.

As for "Vow to Thee," I always thought it was because the royals, being People of National Importance and all, played it at their weddings and funerals, so people, wanting to imitate them, programmed the same hymns. Plus, Thatxted's a lovely tune, even if most of the other things set to it are absolutely buttock-clenchingly anti-patriotic. It's not enough to take a great song and make it, oh, about the Trinity; rather, you have to act all PC and Peacier-Than-Thou by consciously reacting to the more famous words set to the same tune. Keep Thaxted as a praise to the Holy Ghost and rob the tune for "Say No;" nobody's really going to miss that one.

As for specific wedding hymns: apparently, "Be Thou My Vision" is supposed to be a popular wedding hymn (according to me googling "Lutheran Wedding Hymns" and nearly dying of laughter at some of the other suggestions that I'm pretty sure get their time in CC&HH). Not that I have anything against BTMV; I'm quite fond of it, actually. Just...at a wedding? It's not what I'd call "joyful," more meditative and plaintive, and a tad on the good, solid standby side. To each their own, I suppose, but it'd be like bringing a well-cooked pot roast to a formal afternoon tea: great in another situation, entirely out of place and unlikely to be appreciated in this one.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Michael Perry wrote O God beyond all praising as alternative words to Thaxted (which is the one that gets recommended here as an alternative to I Vow to thee my Country, which gets sung at Remembrance services) - words to O God beyond all praising - it's still in copyright but covered by CCS.

And the wedding booklet that goes out to all wedding couples suggests a number of familiar hymns that are suitable, including that one. It also says that a solo by the priest is almost certainly not what the wedding couple would like on their wedding day, and a more familiar hymn would avoid this as other people would hopefully sing along with a familiar hymn. Or book a choir, so there are voices singing for others to join in with.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

At my son's wedding last year (in a village parish church in Devon) we included both "And can it be" (all five verses, to "Sagina") at the beginning, and "Guide me O thou great Jehovah" (to "Cwm Rhondda") at the end.

The singing was lusty, possibly due to the fact that several members of the congregation were off-duty choristers!

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
At my son's wedding last year (in a village parish church in Devon) we included both "And can it be" (all five verses, to "Sagina") at the beginning, and "Guide me O thou great Jehovah" (to "Cwm Rhondda") at the end.

The singing was lusty, possibly due to the fact that several members of the congregation were off-duty choristers!

What's Hellish about that?

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Michael Perry wrote O God beyond all praising as alternative words to Thaxted (which is the one that gets recommended here as an alternative to I Vow to thee my Country, which gets sung at Remembrance services) - words to O God beyond all praising - it's still in copyright but covered by CCS.

We sang that at our wedding, along with Be thou my vision and And can it be, and a chorus which reflected one of the readings. Most people seemed to enjoy it and not find it inappropriate, although my aunt's partner did say he thought the service was 'lovely - but a bit odd'. But I think that was more about the alt.worship format than inappropriate hymns per se.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Nothing ... but I thought folk might be interested! [Devil]
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I'm also fairly hacked off with brides who ask for either The arrival of the Queen of Sheba (too long for the aisle in a village church and IMO a crime to cut) or Pachelbel's Canon in D (ditto on length, so if you cut sounds like a baroque Jaws theme). Yes, I know you can adjust or get the bride to wait but...

Make me a channel of your peace is pretty lousy for weddings: apart from its dirge-like qualities, is it really appropriate?

But... we recently had a bride who wanted a Christmas wedding "since I was a little tiny girl" and the "hymns" were
  • Away in a manger
  • In the bleak mid-winter
  • God rest you merry, gentlemen

Much hilarity among the choir because the first was printed "Away in a manager ".

I suppose we should have been warned when her sister had Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord - when she wed an heriditary baronet [Killing me]

[ 09. November 2013, 10:57: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------

Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Nothing ... but I thought folk might be interested! [Devil]
Speaking personally, not remotely interested.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I suppose we should have been warned when her sister had Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord - when she wed an heriditary baronet [Killing me]

Awesome!

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh ... which one?
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Lord of the Dance' (they whipped and they stripped) is often asked for. Probably because it was remembered from school assemblies.

The choir usually get asked to sing something traditional, but we did raise our eyebrows at Cohen's 'Hallelujah' and had to be careful which words we sang.

Fortunately, we have never been asked to sing 'Bind us together, Lord'.... [Eek!]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016