homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wedding music from Hell (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Wedding music from Hell
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
How did it get to be considered a wedding hymn? (We sang it in North Carolina at the wedding of wife's cousin and her English husband.)

Along with "All Things Bright and Beautiful", it's the only hymn that a lot of non-churchgoing people know?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
'Lord of the Dance' (they whipped and they stripped) is often asked for. Probably because it was remembered from school assemblies.

The choir usually get asked to sing something traditional, but we did raise our eyebrows at Cohen's 'Hallelujah' and had to be careful which words we sang.

Fortunately, we have never been asked to sing 'Bind us together, Lord'.... [Eek!]

We had a couple who requested Lord of the Dance – only they didn’t want the verses ‘they whipped and they stripped’ or ‘They buried my body and they thought I’d gone,’ As they thought they ‘weren’t nice at a wedding’
They printed their orders of service, omitting the verses against the vicar’s advice that the story made no sense without them. They went straight from Jesus dancing for the fishermen to cutting him down and leaping up high.
So we had the resurrection but not the death of Jesus, because the couple had no knowledge of the heart of the Christian gospel and it offended their sensibilities.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Jerusalem is OK - much better than "I vow to thee" or "Sing Hosanna"

The problem is that knowledge of "hymns" (among brides and grooms) is so limited these days that it won't be long before someone asks for "broad beans are sleeping on a blankety bed".....

in a blankety bed, please!

I think 'Jerusalem' is popular because people really enjoy singing it together loudly. I do myself.

We've had 'Sing Hosanna' at the wedding of a couple of publicans who wanted 'keep me serving till the break of day.' They also had 'Always look on the bright side of life' as a recessional. This is becoming increasingly popular.

The one hymn I've had to dissuade someone from having was 'We plough the fields and scatter...'
'But we had it at Our Dad's funeral.'

In a rural church I used to be a member of, we plough the fields and scatter was often used at funerals..
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my rural church We plough the fields and scatter is sung for baptisms, funerals AND WEDDINGS - always strikes me a rather indelicate but ... and we also get frequent requests for Come, ye thankful people, come for weddings - you see, harvest is very big round here and people come to church then and at Christmas.

Other bizarre choices: the Lachrymosa from the Mozart Requiem, the Dambusters March, the music for Desert Island Disks and the 1970s them for Match of the Day as a recessional.

Mind you, worst recessional is the wedding music from The Sound of Music - truly dreadful.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could be worse, l'Organist. Dies irae for example.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or "Turn Back O Man".

I remember a few years ago, sounding off about Jerusalem because, I think, the previous Sunday it had been sung at church at the request of a baptismal party. I assumed, probably correctly, that they chose it because it sounded nice and trad.

It was to my horror that Jerusalem got sung at the Royal Wedding.

Some of the above examples of inappropriate songs come about because people know the tune, and they know the chorus, but they don't know the rest of the lyrics. "Nothing compares to you" is a classic example, as is "Angels" by Robbie Williams for funerals.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Things I have sung at weddings:

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas (in June, in NZ).

Remember, O thou man (How thou art dead and gone).

Balfour Gardiner's Evening Hymn (Defend us from all nightly fears and fantasies).

This last was also the wedding where the bride was 45 minutes late, so the organist had started playing subtle variations on "Why are we waiting?" To be fair, we had sung at his mother's funeral in the morning, so his temper was perhaps not all it could have been.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
pr

As for specific wedding hymns: apparently, "Be Thou My Vision" is supposed to be a popular wedding hymn Not that I have anything against BTMV; I'm quite fond of it, actually. Just...at a wedding? It's not what I'd call "joyful," more meditative and plaintive, and a tad on the good, solid standby side. To each their own, I suppose, but it'd be like bringing a well-cooked pot roast to a formal afternoon tea: great in another situation, entirely out of place and unlikely to be appreciated in this one.

We had the other version of "Slane" at our wedding - Lord of all hopefullness. Yes, possibly a bit "dirgey" but the words, taking one through a day, seemed quite appropriate. It is a bit "twee" but I like it!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord of all hopefulness!!!

Surely you should be rather more than hopeful on your wedding day?

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Other bizarre choices: the Lachrymosa from the Mozart Requiem

At a wedding? I like Mozart's Requiem very much, and I can think of some marriages where huic ergo parce, Deus might well be going through people's minds, but, um, [Ultra confused] [Confused]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
I can think of some marriages where huic ergo parce, Deus might well be going through people's minds, but, um, [Ultra confused] [Confused]

My what? comes from huic ergo parce, Deus [Confused] - my Latin doesn't stretch that far, and of Mozart I know next to nothing. Translation, please?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Huic ergo parce Deus = Thus have mercy on him O God

Yes, I too can think of unions where such a supplication might have been considered appropriate [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist:
quote:

Well it does go on to say '...Lord of all joy...'

Seems about right to me. However joyful you might be on your wedding day, realistically you can only embark on the rest of your marriage in hopefulness because you don't know what the future will bring.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
L'organist:
quote:

Well it does go on to say '...Lord of all joy...'

Seems about right to me. However joyful you might be on your wedding day, realistically you can only embark on the rest of your marriage in hopefulness because you don't know what the future will bring.

And it's a plea for God to be with you through your whole life...
Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this fit here?

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Along with "All Things Bright and Beautiful", it's the only hymn that a lot of non-churchgoing people know?

ATB&B actually fits some of the options for wedding readings quite well. And if you can persuade them to sing it to Royal Oak...

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
pr

As for specific wedding hymns: apparently, "Be Thou My Vision" is supposed to be a popular wedding hymn Not that I have anything against BTMV; I'm quite fond of it, actually. Just...at a wedding? It's not what I'd call "joyful," more meditative and plaintive, and a tad on the good, solid standby side. To each their own, I suppose, but it'd be like bringing a well-cooked pot roast to a formal afternoon tea: great in another situation, entirely out of place and unlikely to be appreciated in this one.

We had the other version of "Slane" at our wedding - Lord of all hopefullness. Yes, possibly a bit "dirgey" but the words, taking one through a day, seemed quite appropriate. It is a bit "twee" but I like it!
Now Slane *is* hellish, especially when played from an edition that takes it down to a low A, to avoid having a crotchet on a highish note. [Mad]

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing which avoids a crotchet - or even an innocent looking baby demi-semi-quaver - on a high note is hellish.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that is exactly the sort of response that shows that the only answer to Slane is singing it to Ellers (or similar) instead! [Devil]

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For our marriage (UK Methodist, Irish RC) at a Catholic church in Dublin, we had What shall our greeting be . It's a great hymn - 'may we no more defend, barriers he died to end, give me your hand my friend, one church one Lord'...but I think the priest thought the ecumenical shock-troops had arrived, and in retrospect it feels as if we got ourselves up as the marriage of King Billy and the Countess Markievicz...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Knotweed and I have long since decided that organising a wedding would be the thing by far likeliest to destroy what thus far has been a long and happy* relationship. However, we occasionally entertain ourselves by thinking of highly inappropriate songs to play at the reception.

A gruesome twosome from Tom Lehrer with "I Hold Your Hand in Mine" and "When You are Old and Grey"

That's enough links to inflict on the hosts, so you'll have to imagine Siouxsie and the Banshees "Drop Dead", Billy Idol's "White Wedding", and the rest...

AG

*she told me I had to say that [Razz]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

A gruesome twosome from Tom Lehrer with "I Hold Your Hand in Mine" and "When You are Old and Grey"

That's enough links to inflict on the hosts, so you'll have to imagine Siouxsie and the Banshees "Drop Dead", Billy Idol's "White Wedding", and the rest...

AG

He's right.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
cosmic dance
Shipmate
# 14025

- Posted      Profile for cosmic dance   Email cosmic dance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my nephew's wedding, the wedding party entered dancing to James Brown's "I'm a steam roller, baby, (gonna roll all over you)".

I maintained my shocked aunt demeanour until at least half way through the service...

--------------------
"No method, no teacher, no guru..." Van Morrison.

Posts: 233 | From: godzone | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lord of all hopefulness!!!

What on earth is 'more' than hope? The word 'hope' means rather more than the use it sometimes gets of taking a wild punt with no knowledge of the outcome.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Codepoet

LOVED your hellish rendition of Jerusalem.

I would say in defence of the hapless organist that the Parry is not the easiest thing to play, it being a transcription of something written for full orchestra.

People get the impression it is simple because it is sung every month at WI meetings - but maybe you haven't heard many WI pianists? I've recorded the organ part for Jerusalem for a few WIs over the years.

And take heart - the French organist made a damn sight better fist of it than the person (I cannot say organist) at my sister's MiL's funeral. It was unrecognisable: we only knew it was meant to be Jerusalem because it had been announced.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'organist
It seems to me that because of your wide experience you are very well placed (not to mention having strong opinions too!!)to suggest a full "ideal" musical order of service (introit, hymns,signing of register,recessional)for a church wedding.
Two of my four (four, I say, four!!) daughters are married and they had two very different services: they had the weddings they wanted which was important to me despite my personal preferences.....
So my request is that given that I have two more possible weddings to go please give me two examples which you would feel appropriate, one reflecting a more traditional choice one a more modern worship style [Biased]

I have sat through so many weddings but only really enjoyed a few of them. Some have had bizarre music choices especially things like Bob Marley which no-one could sing and it was really awkward with my musical family the only ones singing and not brilliantly either as we weren't sure of the tune.....

That said, with the use of an imported sound system in a very beautiful parish church, my eldest daughter entered the church to the very dramatic music from the Romeo and Juliet film and there were eyes being wiped throughout the church: the music worked because of the couples' life histories which all their friends and family knew...maybe it was inappropriate but it was definitely authentic.

I have to say that the same daughter (who is a professional singer) has sung at several weddings and hated most of the songs..."You raise me up" being her all time Nemesis....

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, "You raise me up"... In our former church, where my husband was organist, we were blessed to have the church sociopath in the choir. With her extensive knowledge of church music and her impeccable musical taste she felt that this was something we should learn and sing during the signing of the register (where we usually sang an anthem if the couple hadn't requested anything else).

In fact the choir probably does sing it now - she managed to elbow us out of the church and get her elderly, doddery but obedient husband installed as organist instead [Disappointed]

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
I would say in defence of the hapless organist that the Parry is not the easiest thing to play, it being a transcription of something written for full orchestra.

But I thought it was fairly fundamental for bad organists faced with something like that to:
1) keep it going at a good rate
2) make sure the melody line gets out
3) make sure the bass line gets out
4) make sure any middle part that moves conspicuously gets out for the conspicuous bit
5) play only as much of anything that's left that you are confident you can play without screwing up any of 1-4

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
I thought it was fairly fundamental for bad organists faced with something like that to:
1) keep it going at a good rate
2) make sure the melody line gets out
3) make sure the bass line gets out
4) make sure any middle part that moves conspicuously gets out for the conspicuous bit
5) play only as much of anything that's left that you are confident you can play without screwing up any of 1-4

Not unlike a choir then?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
[QBI have to say that the same daughter (who is a professional singer) has sung at several weddings and hated most of the songs..."You raise me up" being her all time Nemesis.... [/QB]

At least it wasn't Every breath you take.

That. Is. Just. Wrong.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying really hard, now, to think of some wildly inappropriate songs I could have at my wedding so I can be all wide-eyed and innocent and go "what? what's wrong? how could anyone possibly have a problem with that?"

I have this weird notion that Ricky Martin might be a fertile area of investigation. I seem to remember a Spanish-language song where the only intelligble words to an English-speaking audience were "Boom! Boom!" [Devil]

EDIT: Ooh. I'd forgotten all about Shake Your Bon-Bon.

[ 11. November 2013, 11:50: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

That. Is. Just. Wrong.

Along these lines - and heard on several 'request a song for your loved one' radio shows - I'll add 'The One I Love' by REM:
quote:
This one goes out to the one I love
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
A simple prop to occupy my time

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

That. Is. Just. Wrong.

Along these lines - and heard on several 'request a song for your loved one' radio shows - I'll add 'The One I Love' by REM:
quote:
This one goes out to the one I've left behind
A simple prop to occupy my time

Been done. It's because people listen to and vaguely remember th chorus rather than the verses. One by U2 is another example. Everyone remembers this bit and thinks, "Ah, how romantic":

quote:
One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other

They forget all the references to being hurt, disappointed etc. It's a sad song about the break up of a marriage. (Edge's IIRC).

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoops, sorry Tubbs!

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
At my son's wedding last year (in a village parish church in Devon) we included both "And can it be" (all five verses, to "Sagina") at the beginning, and "Guide me O thou great Jehovah" (to "Cwm Rhondda") at the end.

The singing was lusty, possibly due to the fact that several members of the congregation were off-duty choristers!

We had Guide me, O thou great Jehovah / Cwm Rhondda at our wedding. Several people had to be reminded that they weren't at the Arms now. [Two face]

Tubbs

[ 11. November 2013, 13:58: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds optimal. You can't beat a good lusty "Strength and shieeeeellllllld" in the tenor/bass.

Sagina is another good favorite. Hellish only in the sense that these are hymns to withstand the worst the fire, brimstone and Satan could throw.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Dear Lord and Father of mankind" is another hellish classic. Great tune, and words generally OK.

But does noone think about what they're going to sing?!

"...
Forgive our foolish ways!
Reclothe us in our rightful mind
..."

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
"...
..."

Not to mention "Breath through the heats of our desire ..."
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
"Dear Lord and Father of mankind" is another hellish classic. Great tune, and words generally OK.

But does noone think about what they're going to sing?!

"...
..."

If the bride is 7 months pregnant I'd call it apt.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They also had 'Always look on the bright side of life' as a recessional. This is becoming increasingly popular.

I always think there's something a bit sad about using this song as a hymn for either a wedding or funeral. But I suppose if 'life's a piece of shit, when you look at it' is your experience of life, why not? Set the bar low and you'll never be disappointed.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm also fairly hacked off with brides who ask for ... Pachelbel's Canon in D ...

Here, the bridesmaids come in one by one before the bride, almost always to Pachelbel's Canon.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

THE PURPLE-HEADED MOUNTAIN

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The one hymn I've had to dissuade someone from having was 'We plough the fields and scatter...'
'But we had it at Our Dad's funeral.'

Surely "We plough the fields and scatter" *is* a wedding song?

Though, if it were just about scattering (no ploughing), that'd be a problem, as would "We plough the fields and then collect the seed in a little rubber thingy."

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

I was amused on more than one level to see J.S. Bach's Air on the G String making some recommended wedding music lists. Maybe people don't associate it with Hamlet ads any more...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
I was amused on more than one level to see J.S. Bach's Air on the G String making some recommended wedding music lists. Maybe people don't associate it with Hamlet ads any more...

It was played at my Aunt's cremation .......

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:

THE PURPLE-HEADED MOUNTAIN
Always good for a cheap laugh, that verse. "Bind us together", aka the Bondage song, is another one. Both of which are suggested on this wedding site. [Eek!]

Tubbs

[ 13. November 2013, 14:24: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Here, the bridesmaids come in one by one before the bride, almost always to Pachelbel's Canon.

The one time I've been to an American-style wedding, this struck me as a key transatlantic difference. It reminded me of 10-pin bowling, sending a few test ones down the run before the big strike. (Can't remember what music was played, though ...)
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did I miss it, or have we really neglected this one ?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Did I miss it, or have we really neglected this one ?

Wow! That is great! I want all the weddings I go to to start like this.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
On another thread L'organist proposed:

quote:
We can make an alternative "wedding music from hell" list, starting with inappropriate/offensive songs or hymns.

I'll start you off with:

Jerusalem

I thought Jerusalem was a fairly traditional for a wedding?
I was recently forced to sing this at a wedding, a gay one no less, before I realized what I was getting myself into. Being a) American, and b) relatively newly Episcopalian, and though I love my church, their latent Anglophilia is one of their less endearing qualities (though in this case one of the grooms was English), I had never been been subjected to this particular bit of jingoistic British tripe. Jingoistic American tripe in church equally makes me want to [Projectile] .
Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wilfried:
I had never been been subjected to this particular bit of jingoistic British tripe. Jingoistic American tripe in church equally makes me want to [Projectile] .

English, not British! Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of jingoistic Scottish tripe out there, but we don't share in Jerusalem.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016