homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wedding music from Hell (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Wedding music from Hell
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Thinking of the wedding I had where the bride came in to a movement from a Requiem ...

That could be appropriate for many weddings -- mine, for instance.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
posted by Orfeo
You know, I particularly love the way some of you line up to say how such and such is so obviously wrong for a wedding, without then stating why.

If it was universally 'obvious' that it was wrong, you wouldn't have heard it at a wedding in the first place, would you?

Thinking of the wedding I had where the bride came in to a movement from a Requiem ...
Did the particular movement have words? What were the words about?
Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

If there were no words we'd have to start thinking about the meaning of a piece of music and whether it resides with the creator or the listener. Then we'd have to talk about Derrida, and I'd have to go and get a big bottle of wine, and it's only 9.30am here.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't even thinking about whether the performance at the wedding involved words. I was thinking of the original piece. Because not everything in a Requiem Mass is specifically about death, or even unique to a Requiem. There are bits of it that are the same as an ordinary Mass. If someone's favourite version of one of those bits just happens to come from a Requiem, I don't see why the musical thought police should be alerted by it appearing at a wedding.

Whereas if someone was having the Dies Irae chanted at their wedding there would be some issues.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some marriages that should start with the Dies Irae. My opinion.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Perhaps the point is that they shouldn't start, and that this needs to be expressed in some form other than a foreboding soundtrack.

Why doesn't anyone ever 'speak now', and why do people hold their peace temporarily?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because not everything in a Requiem Mass is specifically about death, or even unique to a Requiem. There are bits of it that are the same as an ordinary Mass.

Most obviously that the traditional introit is an extract from Psalm 65. Strip off the antiphon, and it's probably a bit more harvest festival than wedding, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why doesn't anyone ever 'speak now', and why do people hold their peace temporarily?

Because (in the UK at least), the reasons for "speaking now" are supposed to be legal ones, not just "Oh my good Lord, can you not see that these two are going to be a diz-arrrse-ter darling?".

The stuff about "are you sure this is a good idea" should have been gone through well before the vows ...

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Because it would cost them money!

"At which day of Marriage, if any man do allege and declare any impediment, why they may not be coupled together in Matrimony, by God's law, or the laws of this Realm; and will be bound, and sufficient sureties with him, to the parties; or else put in a caution (to the full value of such charges as the persons to be married do thereby sustain) to prove his allegation: then the solemnization must be deferred, until such time as the truth be tried."

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
I once, many years ago, was in the choir for a wedding which included the hymn/worship song 'Meekness and majesty'. Just so wrong. [Disappointed]

What could be *more* appropriate to a wedding than to sing about the Incarnation? The sacrament of marriage is a wonderful example of the way in which God, through Jesus, has glorified our frail, human state.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, indeed. But I suspect that the incarnational references may be somewhat lost on a non-churchgoing congregation (and indeed couple). And without that understanding, 'Meekness and majesty, manhood and deity in perfect unity, the man who is God' is a particularly odd choice for a wedding ISTM...

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bwa ha ha! Didn't think of it like that [Big Grin]

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The movement from a Requiem (Faure) that was sung was the Agnus Dei And it was the proper Requiem version, moving straight into the Lux aeterna.

No, before you ask neither party had had a recent bereavement - the groom was a nominal CofE and the bride of no belief - but family background was Confucianism.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The movement from a Requiem (Faure) that was sung was the Agnus Dei And it was the proper Requiem version, moving straight into the Lux aeterna.

No, before you ask neither party had had a recent bereavement - the groom was a nominal CofE and the bride of no belief - but family background was Confucianism.

And yet I still don't see anything completely dreadful about it.

Here's the thing. When I was the right age for seeing lots of friends getting married, I went to a church that had a lot of very firmly Christian young people in it. In other words, these people went to church every week, and to Bible study every week, and to put it simply they knew their shit.

Many of their weddings would involve hymns or songs that mentioned things like Jesus' dying for their sins and his victory over death. Things that some folk here would apparently find completely inappropriate for a wedding.

Those friends would stare in disbelief at such remarks, because the entire point was that they were getting married before God and that expressing their Christian faith was an important part of that. To mark off particular bits of Christian faith as inappropriate because we only want nice, pretty things in a wedding would seem to them like watering stuff down so as not to challenge the unchurched. They wanted to challenge the unchurched. They wanted to say, "you're at our wedding, and this is who we are, we are Christians, and this is what we believe".

So while I can understand there are some pop songs that are pretty unfortunate for a wedding, when it comes to things with consciously Christian texts my tolerance band for 'what is appropriate for a wedding' is pretty damn wide. If people want to sing about the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world, it's not going to bother me. If they happen to sing a version that throws 'grant them rest' in there as well instead of 'have mercy on us' well, it's not actually very different in sentiment and everyone at the wedding is going to need eternal rest at the end.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm generally in agreement with what Orpheo says, I take L'Organiste's point with respect to the excerpt from the Requiem. Translated, the words of that movement are:

Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world, grant them rest. (repeated three times)

Appropriate, perhaps, for the morning after the wedding, but hardly for the service itself.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had "Love Divine" as one of our wedding hymns, which I know l'organist approves of, as it's in her list in the Heaven thread. I also intend to have it as one of my funeral hymns. Likewise, we had "Dark Island" as the music for the first dance at our wedding reception, and I intend to have my coffin piped* out of church to the same tune. So I don't understand the idea of a sharp division between "wedding" music and "funeral" music.

Or is it acceptable to have "wedding" music at a funeral, but not vice-versa?

*yes, bagpipes in church - a foretaste of heaven! [Angel]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think what some of us are trying to say is that some music (hymns, songs, anthems, other music with words) may express sentiments perhaps more usually associated (a) with a person of faith or broadly Christian belief, and/or (b)have imagery that some might think infelicitous for a wedding.

For example: you or I might realise instantly that the hymn O love, that wilt not let me go is all about the unfailing nature of God's love, it being ever-dependable through all that life may throw at us - and so in that sense it could be seen as being quite good for weddings.

But a non-churchgoing/non-faith person is more likely to associate it with funerals, if only for reasons of (a) the popular tune, and (b) the words I give thee back the life I owe which many people associate with someone having passed from the life on earth to either life elsewhere or no life at all.

Put baldly, an unchurched person might consider O love that wilt not let me go as being THE hymn for a shotgun wedding.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Put baldly, an unchurched person might consider O love that wilt not let me go as being THE hymn for a shotgun wedding.

Put baldly, if it's my churched person wedding, erroneous perceptions of the unchurched are not the top priority and I may even be aiming to correct their erroneous perceptions.

If their perceptions, and indeed comfort, were the top priority, I wouldn't be having a wedding in a church in the first place.*

Although why an unchurched person would have a preconceived idea about the appropriate use of a hymn is a curious question.

*If in fact it ever comes to pass that I, queer as I am, am in the blessed position of being able to have a church wedding, I have little doubt that many of my queer friends will find a church wedding to be a particularly weird and unsettling notion. They will have to fucking deal with it.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If a church is in the business of conducting marriages for people regardless of their faith I don't think it can reasonably distinguish between wedding hymns whose content is suitable for believers and other kinds of hymns.

We live in a culture where hymns, along with other religious symbols and rituals have been appropriated by secular forces and interests. And to a large extent the churches, especially the mainstream ones, collude with that appropriation; we're quite happy for atheists at Christmas to sing joyfully about the arrival of the Christ-child even though they reject his 'christliness'. Things being as they are, I don't see why weddings should be a site of differentiation on this point. Whether wedding parties are likely to sing a hymn or not is probably the most meaningful consideration.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by SvitlanaV2
If a church is in the business of conducting marriages for people regardless of their faith I don't think it can reasonably distinguish between wedding hymns whose content is suitable for believers and other kinds of hymns.

So on the basis of that, if the hymn(s) requested would be considered unsuitable for churchgoers/believers then they should also be considered unsuitable for those of no faith?

This provides the CofE with a dilemma since we are obliged to marry anyone who qualifies who presents themselves; and that can include - in reality frequently does - people of no faith or belief.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
posted by SvitlanaV2

So on the basis of that, if the hymn(s) requested would be considered unsuitable for churchgoers/believers then they should also be considered unsuitable for those of no faith?

If a a congregation and their minister never sing Onward, Christian soldiers because it goes against their theological perspective, why should they allow it to be sung during a wedding service?
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm boggled by the idea of a choir at a wedding. At least at the wedding of every-day folks. I could see it for royals, rich, and/or famous, and for musicians. I don't think I've ever even *heard* of a wedding choir, except maybe as I just mentioned.

Is it a normal thing in CofE weddings??

Thanks.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following on from my earlier post, the Manic Street Preachers "Design for Life" would also be a cracker receptions...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

The bagpipes are a weapon of warfare, and as inappropriate in church as tanks, rocket launchers, or machine guns. [Razz]
Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I'm boggled by the idea of a choir at a wedding. At least at the wedding of every-day folks. I could see it for royals, rich, and/or famous, and for musicians. I don't think I've ever even *heard* of a wedding choir, except maybe as I just mentioned.

Is it a normal thing in CofE weddings??

Thanks.

Plenty of weddings take place without one, but it's not at all uncommon to retain the choir (if there is one) - or import one if there isn't. It's not expensive.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

The bagpipes are a weapon of warfare, and as inappropriate in church as tanks, rocket launchers, or machine guns. [Razz]
Angus

Don't let PD see you saying that (where's he been lately, BTW?) Mrs PD is IIRC rather a keen piper.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
He who would valiant be goes on to say

‘there’s no discouragement shall make him once relent
his first avowed intent to be a pilgrim..

Hmmm - Men Going Their Own Way declared at the altar?
Or did he see this? DOnald's Diary

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
'Lord of the Dance' (they whipped and they stripped) is often asked for. Probably because it was remembered from school assemblies.

The choir usually get asked to sing something traditional, but we did raise our eyebrows at Cohen's 'Hallelujah' and had to be careful which words we sang.

Fortunately, we have never been asked to sing 'Bind us together, Lord'.... [Eek!]

Reminds me of one wedding order of service that came through work's email quarantine system (back when I was a Lotus Notes admin) - first 2 up were Bind Us Together and Morning Has Broken. I cringed... before sending the request to our security team to decide on.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Along with "All Things Bright and Beautiful", it's the only hymn that a lot of non-churchgoing people know?

THE PURPLE-HEADED MOUNTAIN
And if the guy is hair-triggered - ".. the river running by"?
[Devil] [Two face]

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
quote:
'Lord of the Dance' (they whipped and they stripped) is often asked for. Probably because it was remembered from school assemblies.

The choir usually get asked to sing something traditional, but we did raise our eyebrows at Cohen's 'Hallelujah' and had to be careful which words we sang.

Fortunately, we have never been asked to sing 'Bind us together, Lord'.... [Eek!]

Reminds me of one wedding order of service that came through work's email quarantine system (back when I was a Lotus Notes admin) - first 2 up were Bind Us Together and Morning Has Broken. I cringed... before sending the request to our security team to decide on.
Wow, having the choice of music cleared by security sounds a bit heavy handed.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
In my rural church We plough the fields and scatter is sung for baptisms, funerals AND WEDDINGS - always strikes me a rather indelicate but ...

Next time you should suggest "Lo, the conqu'ror mounts in triumph."
Or "he brought me to his banqueting table" sung by the women?
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
quote:

Wow, having the choice of music cleared by security sounds a bit heavy handed.
I'm in a finance company's IT dept..
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

I think it's a bit much to disapprove of a wedding hymn choice just because there's a potential double entendre in the title, or somewhere in the verses! Yes, 'Bind us together, Lord' could raise a little nudge and a wink, but we all know that it's about how Christians should live in unity, not about bondage in the marriage chamber, or any other unmentionable activities!! Aren't wedding parties and church choirs peopled mostly by mature adults?
[Eek!]

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno, I've never met any there!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Svitlana:
quote:
Aren't wedding parties and church choirs peopled mostly by mature adults?
Not during (a) the sermon and (b) the wedding speeches at the reception, when all the babies will start screaming their heads off and all the toddlers will run up and down making enough noise for a herd of elephants...

WE thought having 'Love divine' at our wedding would be presumptuous. Even in the first heady throes of Romance we retained enough sanity to realise that our love for each other couldn't compare with God's love for us... and I had it at my confirmation service, so it will always be associated with confirmations in my mind. [Devil]

[ 24. November 2013, 09:12: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Svitlana--

Re maturity: people sometimes get the giggles at weddings, due both to nervousness and general levity. Add potential word play to that mix...

Personally, I wouldn't want to go to a wedding that was deadly serious. If I were to *have* a wedding, I'd want everyone to be relaxed and free to laugh. And the music would be whatever I and the other party wanted, and to heck with everyone else!
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Well, it sounds as if it might be simpler to avoid hymns altogether and just sing happy romantic love songs. Far less chance of theological confusion!
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

quote:
posted by SvitlanaV2
Aren't wedding parties and church choirs peopled mostly by mature adults?

Wedding parties - it varies.

Church choirs - in parishes with mixed-age choirs its usual for the children (trebles) to do all the weddings that request choir.

In a former parish this kept the PP on his toes: if he preached the same sermon too often they'd say it with him under their breath [Snigger]

And their joy when the first hymn at the wedding of a very (?8 months) pregnant bride was "Dear Lord and Father of mankind" which, as you know, includes the line Forgive our foolish ways...

And I can assure you that the older trebles (12/13) spotted ALL the double-entendres.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After my older daughter's wedding, her younger sister remarked that she had never realized the extent to which the idea of sex permeates the ceremony.

Since the service has already focused people's minds on sex, they notice every double entendre.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
WE thought having 'Love divine' at our wedding would be presumptuous. Even in the first heady throes of Romance we retained enough sanity to realise that our love for each other couldn't compare with God's love for us...

Surely for anyone that gets past the first line of the hymn, that is precisely the freaking point.

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother's adolescent income depended on weddings and funerals,at which he was paid to sing!
These days the only people I know who have a choir at their wedding are teachers, who bring their own [Smile]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The choir at School commonly sang at weddings - usually in the chapel, but sometimes travelling to churches. I can't remember how much Dlet was paid, but something around $20 -$25 a wedding.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
posted by Orfeo
You know, I particularly love the way some of you line up to say how such and such is so obviously wrong for a wedding, without then stating why.

If it was universally 'obvious' that it was wrong, you wouldn't have heard it at a wedding in the first place, would you?

LIbera me, Domine? [Big Grin]

Ref: choirs at weddings. I'm boggled that anyone would be boggled at the idea of a choir at an 'ordinary' wedding?! For the most part the choir is usually just the regular bunch of musos who lurk in the stalls on a Sunday morning, and it's nice to boost the singing for a special service where the congo might be a little retiring or inexperienced in that area. The singing at some weddings can be pitiful and embarrassing, in fact, without a choir around.

Besides a wedding is still an act of worship (ostensibly) and if your normal worship involves your choir, why not?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the idea of a Choir at weddings, but it just doesn't happen around here. When one of our priests got married a few years ago, the Choir sang, but that's the only time I'm aware of in my parish. Well, except one wedding when the bride's son was a member of the local Boys Choir, so they all showed up to sing! (We also had the Phoenix Symphony Chorus here for the funeral of one of their members.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:

Ref: choirs at weddings. I'm boggled that anyone would be boggled at the idea of a choir at an 'ordinary' wedding?! For the most part the choir is usually just the regular bunch of musos who lurk in the stalls on a Sunday morning, and it's nice to boost the singing for a special service where the congo might be a little retiring or inexperienced in that area. The singing at some weddings can be pitiful and embarrassing, in fact, without a choir around.

It depends on the church, perhaps. What percentage of CofE congregations have choirs? I know some that don't. I'd say that in the non-conformist denominations a choir at a wedding is generally unlikely, but some of the black-led churches have choirs that might be available for weddings.

The point about the pitiful singing at weddings is an interesting one. I've never been to weddings like that, but if it's a regular challenge then I can understand the need for a choir. But perhaps wedding parties should be urged to practise the chosen hymns before the bride arrives, or during the signing of the register!

[ 26. November 2013, 15:01: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Anselmina's point (I can't bring myself to quote the whole string) -- it would be a highly unusual wedding in large parts of Canada at least where the congregation sang anything at all. Hymns are by far the exception rather than the rule over here. I'd rule out almost entirely any singing by a congregation at a wedding without a eucharist -- and they are still in the large majority among non-RCs (and as we all know, in NA, RCs don't sing). Even among RCs, weddings without mass are not uncommon. At a eucharist you might get a hymn sung at the Offertory, but that would be the lot.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Re Anselmina's point (I can't bring myself to quote the whole string) -- it would be a highly unusual wedding in large parts of Canada at least where the congregation sang anything at all.

Wow. In my UK experience, there has even been congregational singing at some of the secular weddings that I have been to (although with mixed success...)
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
it would be a highly unusual wedding in large parts of Canada at least where the congregation sang anything at all. Hymns are by far the exception rather than the rule over here.

[Paranoid] You all looked so normal.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016