homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Can someone lend me some pliers? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Can someone lend me some pliers?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chive:
I don't need practical advice, I've got morphine which I've decided solves all the worlds problems. And no I'm not going to become addicted.

I've also got a massive lump on my jaw that makes me look like a chipmunk with mumps. Most attractive. So today I'm going to spend a useful day lying on the sofa, staring into space and moaning occasionally.

Have you got a time/date/place for getting the tooth out - or are they waiting for the infection to go down first?

More [Votive] for you, it must be simply awful [Frown]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've also got a massive lump on my jaw that makes me look like a chipmunk with mumps.

It surprised me when my husband had the same, that it does actually produce this gobstopper look, and it wasn't just an invention of people who drew The Beano.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't need practical advice, I've got morphine which I've decided solves all the worlds problems. And no I'm not going to become addicted.

Fair warning-- if you do, I will consider it my calling in life to bug you with
Cab Calloway songs.

[Big Grin] (Take it easy and get better!)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am just now laying eyes on this topic and I can completely sympathize with you!

I have several teeth that are driving me to distraction. I am on Medicare and for those in the U.S., who know of such things, Medicare does NOT cover any dental issues. Ohhh, hell, do I have issues! Let me issue forth: At least four root canals are recommended and two extractions, plus crowns a'plenty and probably more. The one dentist I went to quoted me the outrageous price of $14,555.00 and that's WITH dental insurance!! I can't afford that at all and when I told the dentist this, she looked at me sweetly and told me of a payment plan... which costs $800 a month for that $14k! I'm not working and my monthly income is $800! How's that gonna work, then?

I'm looking at pliers and some fishing line to tie to a doorknob... [Waterworks]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's something I discovered last night and it works, for a time, anyway...

Take four or five aspirins and dissolve them in a cup with about an inch of warm/hot water. Swirl the mess around. Drain some of the water if you want but take a big blob of the mess and smear it on your aching teeth. In my case, one front tooth has a growing spot where the enamel is completely gone--showing the exposed... owww... root. Anyway, I smeared that aspirin mess on my teeth and let the saliva mix with it... and waited. and waited. It burned! But I held on for five minutes and spit everything out and then did it again. I repeated this once more and then rinsed my mouth out several times... and half an hour later, ALL the pain vanished! And that was over 24 hours ago. I MUCH prefer morphine or codeine but my the last grinch of a dentist I went to only prescribed Tylenol and that didn't do sh*t.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might help, too:
Write these words on a piece of paper: Agerin, Nagerin, Vagerin, Jagerin, Ipagerin, Sipia. You should write these words with a new pen.

Then cut it into 3 pieces. Chive should place the first piece on the bad tooth in the evening, and in the morning they should quietly spit the paper into a fire. (got a hibachi?) Do the same morning and night with the other pieces.

Y'all? Can it with the medical advice.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

DAMN. Bunny laid me OUT!

Seriously, though, apologies all around.

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
This might help, too:
Write these words on a piece of paper: Agerin, Nagerin, Vagerin, Jagerin, Ipagerin, Sipia. You should write these words with a new pen.

Then cut it into 3 pieces. Chive should place the first piece on the bad tooth in the evening, and in the morning they should quietly spit the paper into a fire. (got a hibachi?) Do the same morning and night with the other pieces.

How do you know what my dentist suggested?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
chive, you CANNOT maintain a sense of humour in all this unrelenting suffering.

In response to The5thMary

Tylenol = acetominophen = paracetamol

Not surprised the aspirin worked, it's more powerful than morphine.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
This might help, too:

How do you know what my dentist suggested?
Personally, I am resentful that my "Accio Dens" didn't work. Flippin' Hogwarts distance learning system.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That'll be because you did not have clearly defined in your head which tooth* in which jaw was intended. It's a jolly good thing it didn't work on the nearest dens available.

*Remember that mantra the dentist intones to his assistant as he works round the jaws?

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally, I am resentful that my "Accio Dens" didn't work. Flippin' Hogwarts distance learning system.

Next time use a mail owl.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My old professor spent years in Papua New Guinea and got his pliers borrowed all the time. Then one man would lie down on the ground and open his mouth, the other would put a foot on his chest, and, well... it was considered a great improvement over whatever they had before.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I did a mission trip to this little town outside of Ensenada. They had just gotten a full time dentist. Before that, people were allowing teeth to rot in their mouths so that they would be easier to pick out piece by piece.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I did a mission trip to this little town outside of Ensenada. They had just gotten a full time dentist. Before that, people were allowing teeth to rot in their mouths so that they would be easier to pick out piece by piece.

I will be there in February! Bella Vista, up on the hill - overlooking all the big cruise ships.

(I'll be working with street kids, this is my fifth visit)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

Yesterday I came extremely close to throwing my cellphone across the room--I had an extremely disagreeable conversation with a numb skull at a low-income dental clinic in Atlanta, GA. I have tried and tried and tried to get appointments at these places to get my teeth worked on but no one wants to help me--or they can't because there's 500 lower-income folks than me trying to get dental help!

Anyway, I have decided to hang out at the nearest public health department this coming Monday. No, I'm not over 60. No, I am not an infant or a child. No, I am not pregnant. I don't care! This is an emergency and these bozos are going to see me or do something for me and I'm not leaving their offices until they do. I have had it! I have SIX teeth that need help, four of them immediately. I am going to make a stink because I am in excruciating pain!

Oh, and Martin? The aspirin did wonders...except it dried my mouth out something horrible.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Not surprised the aspirin worked, it's more powerful than morphine.

Only because aspirin wears its underpants on the outside.

*Top 5 conditions in which aspirin is more powerful than morphine.

5: At making coke fizz.

4: At hiding amongst peppermints.

3: At hiding in the bottom of handbags.

2: At being called in alphabetical order.

1: At making Martin write a simple sentence in plain English and actually make much less sense than his more enjoyable poetic offerings. [Razz]

I have read all the medical advice on this thread and have come to the conclusion it is neither medical nor advice. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

I have read all the medical advice on this thread and have come to the conclusion it is neither medical nor advice. [Big Grin]

(Pins medal on Pissy.)

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OKayyyyy, my source was (Dr.) Michael Crichton (deceased) in State (why didn't he call it Climate?) of Fear, and it turns out that the analgesic effect of morphine is higher than aspirin (an morphine's can be massively amplified by molecular tweaking), but aspirin's antipyretic and anticoagulant effects through COX (cyclooxygenase) inhibition make it - subjectively? - 'more powerful'.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Somewhere in Heaven Erin is whopping herself over the head with a copy of the Mayo Connection

Michael freaking Crichton as a medical resource? Can I list Jurassic Park among my "works cited" for a paper about prehistoric ferns, too?

And Boogie-- you slay me, you really do. How did my gruesome story about people pulling slivers of tooth out of their mouths turn into a happy fluffy bonding moment? That was magic.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

Boogie is so sweet and so..so... "out there", sometimes. I feel as though she was saying to some of us, "Well, yes, times are tough and your teeth are in bad shape but if you want to know who REALLY has bad teeth, why come with me as I take a trip to...". To which I say, "Yeah, but it's MY teeth that are hurting at the moment! Can't people pay attention to ME?!" Oh, and whoever started this thread! [Killing me]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I think I just fell down a rabbit hole. Did you-- YOU, sister-- refer to Boogie as "out there"?

I'm getting the giggles now. I need to wander off this thread before I start hallucinating pink elephants or Sioni stomps on my head, whichever comes first.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. Has this thread run its course? What a combo of inappropriate posting, smilies, upper case usage and general inanity. A whole pack of wolves have been called. Oh, and some 'look at me-ism' that Jerry Springer and Jeremy Kyle would regard as excessive.

Head stomping? No, can't be arsed.

[ 08. December 2013, 15:03: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For all suffering at present with their teeth; you have my sympathy.

[Votive]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

The5thMary - all I can reply is "it wasn't me" waaaaaaaaah! :'(

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
( [Votive] [Tear] for people in pain)

BUT

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

for the last few posts here. I think I have joined Kelly down the rabbit hole.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Kelly Alves, he can do no wrong because of The Andromeda Strain. And being dead helps.

--------------------
Love wins

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate all of you sucktastic weirdos.

Except Pissy. my massive hard-on for his brain continues.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Good. "Universal Hatred" is pretty much written on your job description.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Hmmm. Has this thread run its course? What a combo of inappropriate posting, smilies, upper case usage and general inanity. A whole pack of wolves have been called. Oh, and some 'look at me-ism' that Jerry Springer and Jeremy Kyle would regard as excessive.

This isn't a host post,right? So it's OK to discuss it, right?

First of all, this is kind of a glorified AS thread to begin with, so it probably has run its course. (no offense, chive, but unless people started being douchey enough to actively call you a crybaby or something, or had more people used it to tell NHS horror stories of their own, this thread didn't stand much of a chance of getting heated.) Second of all,Sioni, since your last line seemed to be in response to me, and therefore since you seem to have very publically lumped me in with "inappropriate posts", can you please point out where I have said something that is inappropriate for Hell?

So, following a variety of discussions we've had, I try to stoke the fires by sneering at home remedies, mocking Boogie and Mary, and actively try to help by reminding people to can the medical dialogue. I made one flip remark about Hogwarts, but I have seen all three of the Hellhosts get a lot sillier when the mood strikes them. So, basically, why are you pissing on an ally?

I mean, I guess if I wanted to go the extra mile I could have started picking on chive, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. But then, neither could anyone else.

[ 08. December 2013, 19:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, the pain! the pain!!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Good. "Universal Hatred" is pretty much written on your job description.

quote:

This isn't a host post,right? So it's OK to discuss it, right?

It is not hosting, so it's perfectly OK.
quote:

First of all, this is kind of a glorified AS thread to begin with, so it probably has run its course. (no offense, chive, but unless people started being douchey enough to actively call you a crybaby or something, or had more people used it to tell NHS horror stories of their own, this thread didn't stand much of a chance of getting heated.)

Here we differ quite fundamentally. I've never seen this thread as a glorified (or other kind of) AS thread. I've treated it as an expression of anger, pain and frustration from chive. There have been All Saintsy posts from others, and there have been the usual quack remedies which various members of the Crew have stomped on.
quote:

Second of all,Sioni, since your last line seemed to be in response to me, and therefore since you seem to have very publically lumped me in with "inappropriate posts", can you please point out where I have said something that is inappropriate for Hell?

The last line was indeed directed at you, but it was in a paragraph of its own, so I hoped it wouldn't be taken to lump you in with the rest of my post. Clumsy posting on my part, I apologise.

quote:

So, following a variety of discussions we've had, I try to stoke the fires by sneering at home remedies, mocking Boogie and Mary, and actively try to help by reminding people to can the medical dialogue. I made one flip remark about Hogwarts, but I have seen all three of the Hellhosts get a lot sillier when the mood strikes them. So, basically, why are you pissing on an ally?

Like I said, I tried not too but scored an inadvertent hit. I didn't get the Hogwarts allusion as I don't follow Harry Potter.
quote:

I mean, I guess if I wanted to go the extra mile I could have started picking on chive, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. But then, neither could anyone else.

And there hasn't been any, I don't want any and if anyone did then I would expect the Usual Suspects to join together in one unholy dogpile.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
The last line was indeed directed at you, but it was in a paragraph of its own, so I hoped it wouldn't be taken to lump you in with the rest of my post. Clumsy posting on my part, I apologise.

Thank you.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies in Hell?!

(looks nervously out of window for further evidence of the Apocalypse)

[Votive] for Chive.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally I don't care if this is an AS type thread or a hell thread. All I care about is that my teeth hurt. Actually they don't hurt so badly now - apparently the excruciating act of injecting antibiotics actually into the tooth is a good thing. So far anyway. But then I still have until 10 January to survive until the Tooth from Hell is removed and based on the last few months I am somewhat cynical.

Also although taking morphine is a lot of fun, I've found it doesn't assist with issues like being able to work so I'm back on less interesting forms of painkillers.

I fucking hate my teeth and a) if I didn't want to spend the rest of my life looking like my face has collapsed in on itself and b) I wasn't shit scared of the dentist, I'd have them all removed now.

Don't dentists realise how traumatic their behaviour is?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember any really unsettling dentists since the time I had to have an emergency repair in Swindon. For a start, I got the jag - and then sent back to the waiting room for it to take effect. My own man uses stuff that numbs you up completely in the time it takes him to put the syringe away. Anyway, when I do finally get in the chair, his secretary comes in and they start an argument about this woman who's not paid her bill - and I'm thinking ffs, I'm paying for your attention just now - do your admin sometime you haven't half a drawer of cutlery in my mouth. And it was a lousy filling, and I had to have the tooth out pretty much as soon as I got home.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child I got taken for a checkup and the dentist took three teeth out there and then, and put stitches in. I had to go back some days later and have the stitches removed.

All I'm going to say about that is that once I was old enough to make my own decisions I didn't go back to the dentist for about 20 years and then again not until one of my teeth started crumbling earlier this year.

I then found that I'd lost my fear of the dentist and injections weren't as I remembered them. I'm convinced the dentist used to approach with a foot-long syringe which was then inserted through my gums into the other side of my face, but things seem to have improved since then. I'm not saying "fillings are fun" but they weren't as terrifying or anything like as pain-wracking as I remembered them.

[ 09. December 2013, 17:51: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'm not saying "fillings are fun" but they weren't as terrifying or anything like as pain-wracking as I remembered them.

When I was a child, my dentist didn't believe in using Novocaine for drilling. I hated him, but my parents were paying, and they insisted we go there.
[Mad]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Personally I don't care if this is an AS type thread or a hell thread. All I care about is that my teeth hurt.

Understandable.

And understand I personally don't think you personally have done a thing wrong, I just didn't think it was fair for the participants to be growled at for not being hellish enough when this is clearly not a typical Hell thread.

Especially when some of us were actively trying to give you a distraction.

But I think I have said my piece.

OK, to counterbalance my glowing story of my adorable dentist, let me admit that he bit off more than he could chew with my upper wisdom tooth, did what a proper oral surgeon should have been doing, and cracked the tooth in half. Which meant I had to be bundled up and driven across town to a specialist, who had the personality of a dishrag and upcharged me $300.

And his assistant numbed the wrong side of my mouth. Luckily I caught her in time to point her to the right tooth. (See that's the thing about being an American-- you might get swift treatment, but individualized (meaning: non-group or family)dental plans suck, and you wind up paying the full cost minus, like, a two-dollar coupon. Maybe a free toothbrush.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'm not saying "fillings are fun" but they weren't as terrifying or anything like as pain-wracking as I remembered them.

When I was a child, my dentist didn't believe in using Novocaine for drilling. I hated him, but my parents were paying, and they insisted we go there.
[Mad]

I vaguely remembered having one of those, but the ADA policies changed pretty quickly after that. He only prepped me with something like Oragel(A very mild topical anesthetic usually used for cold cores and teething babies.). I think the premise was, if you didn't want things to hurt, you shouldn't be bad to your teeth. Which is something every 12 year old should know, the lazy, gum ball-sucking assholes..

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I didn't have the opportunity to develop a childhood fear of dental injections - dentist clamped a mask over your nose and mouth and the next thing you knew, you were coming to with a lot of red spit.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

See, pain frightens me less than the idea of being put under, for some reason.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(and Sioni, in the heat of the moment I started a Styx conversation here, and that was clumsy and ill-mannered of me. I'm sorry.) --K.A.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
(and Sioni, in the heat of the moment I started a Styx conversation here, and that was clumsy and ill-mannered of me. I'm sorry.) --K.A.

Kelly,

Apology accepted. No casualties reported.

Sioni

OK, move along everybody, nothing to see

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since we're doing horrible dentist stories--

I've only ever had the two fillings, but those were done with NO anesthetic when I was twelve. A genetic thingy means I need four times as much novocaine as a normal person, and after half that the dentist decided I was a lying asshole of a kid and screamed at me, then went ahead with the drilling and cursed at me when I flinched. I don't think he put a knee in my chest to hold me still, but he came close. An hour in hell. Fortunately my mother believed me and we never went back.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
A genetic thingy means I need four times as much novocaine as a normal person, and after half that the dentist decided I was a lying asshole of a kid and screamed at me, then went ahead with the drilling and cursed at me when I flinched.

I have a gruesomely similar story, but as it involves a GYN, I will keep it to myself.

Except to cosmically send her this-- "Bitch." [Mad]

[ 09. December 2013, 23:56: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I've only ever had the two fillings, but those were done with NO anesthetic when I was twelve.

I've only had one filling, and I didn't even consider anesthetic - straight in, tooth drilled and filled, on with life. It's, like, a second or so of pain and then it's done - far better than spending the next hour or so with no sensation in your face.

My dad barely has a tooth in his head that hasn't been filled at least once (some of his teeth have more filler than enamel these days), and he's the same.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I've only had one filling, and I didn't even consider anesthetic - straight in, tooth drilled and filled, on with life. It's, like, a second or so of pain and then it's done - far better than spending the next hour or so with no sensation in your face.

It depends on the tooth.

I have had plenty of fillings with no anesthetic - but if they are going deep and hit a nerve you are through the ROOF! (Reflex, no self control would stop it)

Root canal fillings are the worst.

Dental implants next - as they drill into bone, the smell is bleugh!!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

I have had plenty of fillings with no anesthetic - but if they are going deep and hit a nerve you are through the ROOF! (Reflex, no self control would stop it)

Just so. Last thing you want is abrupt movement when someone has a pointy whirry thing in your mouth.

Anyone needing an incentive to be thankful for analgesics, I can recommend Fanny Burney's account of a radical mastectomy without anaesthetic (the bit where the surgeon was scraping the bone was particularly painful).

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

I've had fillings without anaesthetic too and that was fine. The problem is not when it's a simple filling but when Satan the Tooth Demon has taken over your mouth and wants you to fucking suffer. That's a whole different ball game. It's the difference between a paper cut and an arm amputation.

My worst dentist was one I saw as a child who smoked while looking at your teeth. He threw me out when I bit him.

The bizarre thing is I'm not actually dental phobic, it just triggers major episodes of the madness. A lot of dentists don't seem to understand the difference.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
chive: The bizarre thing is I'm not actually dental phobic
I am.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016