homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Guns Are Not Toys, You Fucking Idiots!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Guns Are Not Toys, You Fucking Idiots!
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A woman killed her boyfriend whilst "playing" with a gun she thought unloaded.
Who the fuck plays with a real weapon? I do not care your stance on weapon ownership, this is insanely stupid.
Now a life is ended and another has to live with having ended it. All for a little fun.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Nobel cum laude for Stupidity Above and Beyond has to go to the owner who, once its status as unloaded had been firmly established, then loaded it and left it lying around.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Who the fuck plays with a real weapon? I do not care your stance on weapon ownership, this is insanely stupid.
Now a life is ended and another has to live with having ended it. All for a little fun.

Chill. At best it's a Darwin Award nominee. Evolution in action.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
At best it's a Darwin Award nominee. Evolution in action.

No, the stupid ones are still alive.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I think the Nobel cum laude for Stupidity Above and Beyond has to go to the owner who, once its status as unloaded had been firmly established, then loaded it and left it lying around.

Seconded. In my mind, it is the gun owner who has to take the majority of the blame here, perhaps even to the point of criminal charges.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crazy and sad [Frown]
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crazy and sad - yes.

Stupid and negligent owner who loaded and then left lying around - yes.

Bound to happen in a culture where gun ownership is seen as normal and where access to weapons is widespread - yes.

Fact is, more people in the US are killed in "accidental" shootings that are killed by criminals with guns. One of the dubious benefits of allowing the NRA and their kind to keep on quoting the Second Amendment and behaving as if they and their families were still threatened by either a colonial power or native war-parties.

Fact is, Britain hasn't tried to take power by force in the US for nearly two centuries and the indigenous peoples have been either driven to extinction or corralled into ghettos for a century - don't you think its time someone told the gun lobby?

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The website Daily Kos maintains a weekly list of gun-related accidents in the USA. Last week, the number of children who were accidentally shot was 19. The youngest was 2 years old.

[ 06. December 2013, 09:56: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They'd spent the day doing this? Oh yes, what fun. Click. Bang. HA HA HA HA HA HA! Oh my aching sides.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very Sad, sorry for his family and for the fool that shot him.

Further proof that I am going to Hell is my thought upon reading his name and age ( Justin Holt, 22) was "Good job he wasn't Justing Colt, 45."

Fly Safe

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

After being told "Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to kill" I was told that "The most dangerous gun is an unloaded gun".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Without commenting on the USA's gun culture, which most people outside the USA (and I imagine a fair few within it) find utterly incomprehensible, everyone who knows anything at all about guns- including me, who has never handled anything more than an airgun at a fairground shooting range- knows that you don't point guns, even guns which you firmly believe are unloaded, at people unless you are intending to shoot them. End of.

[ 06. December 2013, 12:12: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

After being told "Don't point a gun at anything you don't want to kill" I was told that "The most dangerous gun is an unloaded gun".
Ding! We have a winner.

The amount of stupid in this story astounds. They're all idiots, including the dead one - why in fuck would you sit around with a bunch of people pointing a gun at them? Fucking ridiculous.

I feel sorry for the deceased's family, of course. It's a pity his "friends" will have to live with this for the rest of their lives, but it's of their own doing.

[Disappointed] [brick wall]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

This is the kind of thing that people who grow up with and/or live with responsible gun owners know.

People who grew up in gun-free households have probably heard it but not internalized that it actually applies to them with a weapon in their hand.

Also, the Darwin Award only goes to people who take their own stupid selves out of the gene pool. These folks are just garden variety stupid.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lived in, "the American gun culture," all my life and never seen a gun outside TV. Like rattlesnakes, I didn't have to grow up with one in the house to know they are dangerous and shouldn't be touched.

I agree that the people in this story are stupid, in fact, they're more stupid than I can really believe. How could the gun owner load the gun and lay it down without a mental picture coming to mind, of the previous hour when everyone was pointing and shooting at each other? I suspect either foul play or extreme drunkenness.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This brings to mind Terry Kath, whose last words were "Don't worry, it's not loaded."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
This brings to mind Terry Kath, whose last words were "Don't worry, it's not loaded."

Bloody hell... First rule of gun safety is "It's loaded. It's ALWAYS loaded."
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it made it hard for him to say sorry.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Well it made it hard for him to say sorry.

buns are gad.
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016