homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
I had two major Andy Schleck moments while out on my hybrid today.

The first was that I cross-shifted down onto the small chain ring while applying too much power going up a hill and dropped the chain.

The second was that I was felt tired and quit my ride early.

[Snigger] [Overused]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy pedaliing Bro James/

GCB - those frames are advertised as "step-through" here.

Handy tip for dumb cyclists - Never get on your bike if you have a urinary tract infection [Eek!]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still snow out there, but I have the bike back from annual service. Now I need to find a couple of spinning classes again to firm up the muscles.
I didn't come last in the work commute challenge last year. On endomondo, where I tracked last year, I logged 790 km commuting in 49 rides.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Folks

Thought I'd chip in here. For the last 30 years I've had it in mind that a bike one acquires is a) used and b) costs 30 quid. The last one I had for 15 years, and it went from being a shit racer that no-one wanted to a trendy retro object that someone decided to nick from outside my work, locked to a post.

So...I took a deep breath and spent over 10x my mental budget on a Dahon folder I can get inside my office. It's great - 20" wheels (some of my commute is over cobbles, which are OK (just) on these...I suspect 16" wheels might be just too filling-loosening) - 7 gears on a derailleur, since I don't fancy fixing a fancy hub gear, the highest of which is high enough to be too tall for my legs to outrun, and the lowest gets me up steep canal towpath bridges doing little wheelies.
I'm really pleased with it, and think I might acquire some luggage. Folders are allowed on Manchester trams which is another plus.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Team GB is rebuilding after the Olympics but there seems to be an off-the-shelf replacement for Vicky Pendleton in Becky James, winner of four medals, the deciding factor in Britain topping the medals table in Minsk.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thnk you everyone for your newish cycler advice! I've not been around much because I've been putting the advice into practice!

I've had my bike for exactly four weeks today, and have ridden it lots, so much so that I had to catch the bus the other day and couldn't remember the last time I had done so! I have ridden it to all my evening meetings, to my pottery class, to Tesco's, to the tube station, when going out for lunch and just for fun to see how I was getting on. I still really like it.
I fell off last week and banged my head, which knocked my confidence a bit, but I think in a way I now feel like one of the things I was worried about has happened and I survived so I'm a bit less anxious about it. Stupidly I fell off whist pretty much stationary - I had something heavy in the basket and I thought the bike had stopped when I braked but I was on a slight slope and the weight in the basket made the bike move forward and it knocked me off my feet, then fell on top of me and knocked my head into the ground! I am now looking for a helmet, but every helmet I have tried on has been too small for my head... The search continues.

I have been cycling on a good mix of cycle paths and quiet roads, and have worked out some good routes that get me to the places I go regularly in a reasonably safe way. I am also being a bit braver about cycling in roads with actual cars, and feel much more confident about doing so, though I won't be tackling the Old Kent Road any time soon - I had to go along it a very little bit yesterday and went on the path... Naughty I know, but I hop off the bike if I go past pedestrians.

Yesterday I cycled to East Dulwich which involved going up Barry Road which isn't a steep hill but is a kind of relentless slope all the way up for a mile. I got to the bottom and looked at it and told myself that I would cycle as far as I could and that I could get off when I couldn't go uphill any more and just walk with the bike up the rest, which would give me a target to beat next time... But I started cycling up and totally got to the top, which I am very pleased with myself about because it shows that I'm noticeably fitter than I was when I got the bike four weeks ago, so that feels like good progress.

Hope everyone else is enjoying cycling.
LMM

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, my commute's 14.5 miles each way, and that's hilly miles (700'-900' depending on direction, with the larger climb on the way home); I'm not athletic enough to do it every day. Or brave enough, when the wind doth blow and the rain it raineth and doth make the tram tracks like unto a cunning device for breaking both me and my steed.

I have an elderly BSO (Bike Shaped Object - a bike that's a bit crap) which will now live at Sheffield railway station and have acquired an old hardtail for (a) mucking about with the kids, (b) doing some singletrack for a change, and (c) leaving at Chesterfield station. Plan is, when I'm not doing the whole journey on a proper bike (i.e. a road bike with drop handlebars), I'll use the hardtail for the 1.5 miles to the station, get the train, then use the BSO for the 3 miles at the other end, which is largely flat so not a problem. And the BSO is old and shite enough not to be a particularly attractive proposition for toerags, or too heartbreaking if they nick it anyway.

Should result in 100 miles a week for me in total.

Anyone here use Strava?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Anyone here use Strava?

Yup. Although, granted, I usually don't track the 2-mile-or-less rides on there that probably actually add a bit more distance than I think they do...because, of course, it undercounts my actual distance and only screws up when you've broken a record.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elderly Bike Shaped Object is heavy and nasty [Frown] Almost flat run and what do I average - 11 crappy stupid MPH.

Blaming it on cycling in work shoes.

In other news, I flagged someone's ride in Strava last night. Suspiciously they did a circular from point A followed by going back on themselves before diverting to and finishing at point B. The suspicious bit is that up to returning to point A their achievements were all believable. Between the return to point A and the finishing point their speeds were exactly like those you'd get if you put your bike on top of a car and drove home, leaving the smartphone/garmin running...

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Big ride for me tomorrow including a very rare chance to ride out of Adelaide into the hills on a closed-off South Eastern freeway with the Heysen Tunnel, instead of the twisty old Mt Barker Road that it replaced.

The old road is an excellent ride in either direction, with some great corners for the high speed downhill run as it twists around the contours. This will be my first time riding up the new freeway, I'm guessing it will be a nicer road surface, but that appreciation of it will be overshadowed by the steeper grade as it goes straight up the hill.

It's also good that the cycling community get to have an excellent road closed for a couple of hours for their benefit. It's nothing compared to what cyclists in the eastern suburbs had to cop over recent weeks with the Clipsal 500 circuit blocking off the eastern parklands so the motoring community could get their jollies.

Also sort of in cycling, Anna Meares and Chris Hoy have raced against each other on equal terms for the first time over the last couple of days - in equal cars at the celebrity race of the Australian Grand Prix. It turns out that the best female sprinter in the world is better than the best male sprinter in the world - Meares has beaten Hoy in two out of two races so far with one more potentially to come tomorrow!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another folder fan here. I'm now in Year Two of my life as a Brompton rider and really wonder how I could live without one for so long. I use it for commuting to work (either riding all the way or taking it on the tramway for part of the trip)and even for longish weekend rides. It's a very tough little bike. Of course the 16'' wheels are not ideal for negotiating cobblestoned streets. But the advantages outweigh that.
My other bike (a Koga Miyata Tiebreaker, to which I now refer affectionately as "The Truck") still gets good mileage though, for the simple reason that I can load it with big and heavy panniers (for shopping & longer trips).

I've fitted both bikes with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, not the fastest option, but (hopefully) puncture-proof.

[ 16. March 2013, 11:00: Message edited by: Desert Daughter ]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LMM - good to know your bike is being useful as well as enjoyable. I like using a basket, but they do affect steering. Helmets are compulsory here.

My bike isn't a folder, but it fits on the bike carrier on the front of the bus. These only take 2 bikes, so it's first in first served. I've only used it a couple of times as my height (or the lack thereof) makes unfolding the rack difficult and means I also need to ask the driver to 'kneel' the bus.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the 110 km in 4 hours 28 minutes, not bad for a course with over 1800 metres of climbing along the way.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicely done cheesey. How was the grind up the freeway?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

The freeway was fun, I was taking it easy while riding with a couple of friends who would turn off for the 50 km option on the first time through Summertown. The freeway isn't too steep really, while it doesn't wind around the hill like the old road it is also more consistent without the steep ramps, false flats and extra height you get on the old road before dipping down into Crafers. I would much rather do the old road on a descent though, there aren't any fun corners on the freeway!

The hardest hill of the day was Old Mt Barker Road from Bridgewater to Piccadilly, coming 70 km into the course and only a couple of minutes after getting up Germantown Hill from the Onkaparinga Valley - a total of about 290 m of height gained in 6 kilometres of climbing puts those sections at roughly the same grade as the freeway. At least with the freeway the whole pack of 50/80/110 km riders were all together and there were more people to mark for pace, by the time I got to Bridgewater I was with a girl in Orica-GreenEDGE kit on a very nice Orbea and there was only one other person in visual range, and he was a fat guy we quickly overhauled (but would have been good to draft on the flat Onkaparinga Valley Road).

The last hills section from Uraidla across to Ashton and then down Montacute Road was probably the most fun descent I'd ever done. Not only was it fun, I also managed to succeed where Philippe Gilbert, road race champion of the world, failed earlier this year - keeping the rubber side down the whole way. This was also the site of the funniest moment of the day, overtaking two men who were bemoaning the unwise decision to have a hot cross bun at every rest stop - they lost about 20 minutes on us over the remaining 22 kilometres!

After looking at the highlight video from Milan-San Remo that was contested overnight, I do realise I probably don't have much to complain about. Weather shortened the race by 90 kilometres with a 50 kilometre neutralised transfer in the team buses and another major climb bypassed after the restart. A light-hearted poll on the SBS live coverage chat had 0% saying they would like a super-domestique in these conditions, 16% wanted a sherpa and 83% preferred the team bus!

What this does mean is that Melbourne-Warnambool will reclaim the record of the longest race in the world - for this season at least. If bad weather continues to affect the Classics and causes Liege-Bastogne-Liege to be cancelled it will also gain (indefinitely) the record as the oldest continually-run race in the world.

Congratulations to MTN-Qhubeka for getting the first win for an African team in a big European race with Ciolek getting in ahead of Sagan and Cancellara, unfortunately no third year running for the Aussies after Goss and Gerrans in 2011/12. Brits might be interested to note that Stannard managed to come in sixth on the same time as the leading group, this is notable when you look at the poor record of British riders and the tactical ineptitude of Team Sky in major one day races.

[ 17. March 2013, 21:40: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Oh, I forgot to mention one important thing - my most important tip to pass on to anybody else doing events like this would be to learn the art of eating a banana while cycling. You don't want to spend too much time at the rest stops as it will make it harder to get going again, much better to quickly fill up drink bottles, load food into the jersey's pockets and get going again before you cool down and tighten up.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How are UK folks finding cycling in the current weather? Friday's gales (about 45mph gusting to 65mph) were around about the limit of what is safe for me to ride in, but we've not had any snow. Are other Shipmates still able to take to the roads?
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Damn, I find 40-50 km/h to be more than enough for me when combined with the hills around here, multiplying that by 1.6 to take it up to 45 mph sounds insane!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in my hometown, the usual 10-mile cycling lap for pretty much everyone, myself included, was around one of the 10 best sailing lakes in the US. And, back then, I only occasionally got to use my dad's 1980's vintage Trek 300 Elance (complete with downtube friction shifting!); no, usually I got my good cro-moly steel mountain bike.

Wind? I can tell you about wind. Up on the dam, you could count on a 25-35 MPH sustained wind on any given day, gusting 10 higher—and that was normal. The windsurfers loved it (never a bad day for them!), but the cyclists, especially those of us sitting upright on heavy steel fat-tired bikes, had other opinions.

Nowadays, everyone in my local herd seems to think I'm the fast one and wonders how I manage the local hills on Ye Olde Schwinn. If they only knew...

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find cycling in the wind really hard. I ventured to Covent Garden a couple of weeks ago which involved cycling over Waterloo Bridge and the wind was knocking me into the curb. I had to work really hard to try and control the bike and was tired out by the other side, not because of the cycling but because of the upper body strength it took to stay on track! The big basket on the front of the bike doesn't help either as it is like a sail in the wind!

I can't seem to get above 10mph no matter how hard I try, or at least not for more than a minute, because everywhere I cycle here involves going through little barriers or around sharp bends or crossing busy roads. I average 8mph at best, so i'm impressed when people manage to go faster than that...

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Damn, I find 40-50 km/h to be more than enough for me when combined with the hills around here, multiplying that by 1.6 to take it up to 45 mph sounds insane!

In the interests of clarity, I should point out that I ride one of these:
http://bakfiets.nl/nl/accessoires/cargotrike/breed/tent+trike+zwart/#0

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
quote:

In the interests of clarity, I should point out that I ride one of these:
http://bakfiets.nl/nl/accessoires/cargotrike/breed/tent+trike+zwart/#0

YES! A bakfiets!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

So a local bike shop I occasionally go to is going to the Giro d'Italia this year! They explain the details in the video, but it's a pretty big deal around here; it's not every day a group of locals makes it to the big race!

Kind of interesting to think that I've been in rides with a few of these guys—that bike shop is often a meeting place for East Coast advocacy rides (like the Sandy Hook Ride on Washington), and, from what I remember, they're pretty dang fast.

Best of luck to everyone!

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

[Killing me] nice one, probably the second-best fake UCI announcement of yesterday.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
I find cycling in the wind really hard. I ventured to Covent Garden a couple of weeks ago which involved cycling over Waterloo Bridge and the wind was knocking me into the curb. I had to work really hard to try and control the bike and was tired out by the other side, not because of the cycling but because of the upper body strength it took to stay on track! The big basket on the front of the bike doesn't help either as it is like a sail in the wind!

I can't seem to get above 10mph no matter how hard I try, or at least not for more than a minute, because everywhere I cycle here involves going through little barriers or around sharp bends or crossing busy roads. I average 8mph at best, so i'm impressed when people manage to go faster than that...

Ride along the roads, not across them. Avoid cycling farcilities in the main; their main job is to make cycling so slow and inconvenient that you give up.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

LMM is your basket removable?

I seldom bike in the wind because of the possibility of veering into traffic, especially as some of our earthquake damaged roads are really narrow with two way traffic in one and a half lanes. Makes for white knuckle biking.

Huia

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Good news to confirm my anecdotal observations in Adelaide.

The trend is probably greater than these stats suggest, the Adelaide CBD having a good number of useful arterial cycle routes that don't depend on major intersections like those where this count was done. Unlike where Karl comes from, we have a multitude of high-quality cycle routes that provide useful links without relying on arterial roads.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I went to a information afternoon with some City Council staff. I had thought our planned cycleways were around 10 years in the future but was told they should be operational in 3 years time [Yipee] and that the main arterial route that my street connects to is to become more cycle friendly [Yipee]

We may get some good from the earthquakes after all [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Paris-Roubaix is tonight with the insane cobbles and the hilarious sprints leading into each sector, anybody game enough to make a tip on the winner?

I think Fabian Cancellara will not win primarily because he is such a ridiculously strong favourite that nobody will let him. A big defensive breakaway contested by many teams will go out early in the race just like it did in last year's Olympic Road Race, and the teams represented will leave it up to Cancellara's mates to do the work. The best hope for RSLT could well be a two-pronged strategy with getting Hayden Roulston into the first big break and having Cancellara ready to go if the peleton manages to catch the break.

If I was game to make a pick, I would have to go with Luke Durbridge because he's one of the toughest one day riders in the world and has a massive time trial engine just like Cancellara. I'm going with him because he's still obscure enough (despite the green and gold jersey marking him as the winner of the toughest national road race championship in the world) that he can get into a big early breakaway group without the whole peleton shutting it down. Just like Cancellara, he's also strong enough to burn off others in a group one by one.

Above all, the great thing about this race is that the first man to enter the Roubaix velodrome will be somebody who's having a good day and took a chance. The pavé is not friendly to the boring scientific approach of Team Sky that works so well in long stage races.

[ 07. April 2013, 10:35: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I'll consider my words eaten, well done to Cancellara for a very classy win in a two-up sprint on the track, but a pity about Sybar being hit by a spectator 20 minutes from the end as a three-up sprint would have been even more fun to watch.

Very pleased with the result for our team as well, even though I was hoping for Durbridge and instead got Seb Langeveld well inside the top ten. It would have been even cooler if O'Grady had managed to keep on going at the front!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Meh, the thing I find interesting about the spring classics as a Bianchi fan (and therefore follower of Vacansoleil-DCM, a team that...well, they're on the Pro Tour, that has to count for something, right?) is that a fair number of the riders are going over the cobbles on aluminum bikes to avoid tearing up their good $16k carbon.

No, seriously. Aluminum. On the Ride from Hell.

Granted, Flecha Giannoni (one place back from Langeveld, same time) was on Bianchi's much-balyhooed Infinito CR with space-age carbon nano-whatever that dampens even more of the road shock or something (like I'll ever be able to afford that bike), but his teammates were on the same aluminum Impulsos that the bike shop I work at sells.

On the one hand, that's kinda cool. On the other, my butt hurts just thinking about it.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

The cobbled classics usually see a fair few variations to the standard road racing bikes, normally longer wheelbases, higher bottom brackets, stronger derailleur springs, more flexible forks using a less stiff carbon weave and specific tyres which often involve sponsorship obligations being ignored.

But the use of Aluminium sounds a little confusing. I don't think it would have been for budgetary reasons, while it could have been a strategic move for Vaconsoleil-DCM to plan on sending the team car to follow Flecha and Leukemans only and leave the rest struggling on their own to make up the numbers. I don't think it was a strategic move though, since the majority of the team did finish instead of abandoning like all the carrots did - Euskaltel-Euskadi are not a team for the classics and only two of their riders finished.

My main theory would be that Vaconsoleil-DCM got fooled into trying out an untested Paris-Roubaix innovation by Bianchi getting in the team management's ear and saying "hey, don't you think it would be good if..." which usually hits one team each year.

The powerhouse teams like Team Sky, RadioTrekLeopardShack, BMC, OPQS and so on generally don't get fooled by the temptation to try such foolish innovations in races. Sky would not try any innovation like that without first getting their army of cashed up nerds to test it thoroughly on an indoor pavé track with an air conditioning system designed to imitate every possible weather condition which might be experienced in northern France.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Despite being well into autumn and three weeks past the equinox it's a lovely warm 28 degrees already at 11:45am in Adelaide, so time for a ride [Big Grin]

Being a quite warm day, the Anna Meares Bikeway is a non-option thanks to the swampy creek on one side and the distinctive odour of a waste transfer station on the other.

The Patrick Jonker Veloway is also not an option due to being closed for construction work on the adjacent freeway and also having potential stench issues due to Pat's association with the US Postal Service team.

Looks like it will be the Mike Turtur Bikeway for me then, perhaps then with a train transfer up north to the Stuart O'Grady Bikeway or a return along the coast past the home of the Cycling Australia national road and track high performance programs.

Does anybody else get the sense that in Adelaide we're a little proud of being the home of elite competitive cycling in Australia?

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To my chagrin, I understood bugger all of what you posted. But I concur that the weather is beautiful. I ran along the river and coast this am at dawn and it was stunning.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Anna Meares Bikeway = around the outside of the airport perimeter, good for plane watching but it can smell horrible on a hot day!

Patrick Jonker Veloway = alongside the Southern Expressway, has a steep hill with a nasty coarse surface, links well to the Coast to Vines rail trail and Sturt River Linear Park.

Mike Turtur Bikeway = along the Glenelg Light Rail corridor, pancake flat with a few road crossings including an overpass co-located with the tram line over South Road.

Stuart O'Grady Bikeway = alongside the Northern Expressway, a good ride popular for racing club training rides but it's very exposed to the wind and links to nowhere at the southern end.

The CA/AIS headquarters is on the esplanade at Henley Beach. It just looks like a normal pair of townhouses but can be distinguished by large amounts of cycling kit hanging on the balcony to dry and the Jayco-AIS team vehicles parked out front if they aren't at a race or following training rides.

The local council in the Barossa has also named a route still under construction from Concordia to Angaston named after the world's fastest pursuiter Jack Bobridge.

In the upper Onkaparinga Valley there is also the Amy Gillett Bikeway on the course of the former Oakbank to Mt Pleasant rail line which has just had the third stage start construction.

The most likely candidates for the next named bikeway in Adelaide would be one of Carlee Taylor (I went to school with her), Tiffany Cromwell, Annette Edmonson (my friends went to school with them), Steph Morton or Rachel Neylan. All that any one of them has to do is go one place better than Neylan did in last year's road world championships or get gold at the next Olympics!

I eventually decided the best option will just be a mostly functional trip to/from the city with the rack on the back and pannier bags for delicious fruit and veg from the Central Market. Just about to head off now!

[ 11. April 2013, 03:34: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Ta cheesy, , ridden some but didn't know their names. The northern expressway has a ridiculous end which has already proved fatal. The Amy gillet is good for family rides I understand. Are you grand slamming Sunday? Conditions should be great

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

No, the calendar says I'm not able to make it.

I am heading up into the hills on Saturday though, taking advantage of riding a hybrid with kevlar-belted tyres to go up to Bradbury, then down Mount Bold Road (the quietest road I've ever come across) and then up the full length of Scott Creek Road to Heathfield before returning to the plains on Mount Barker Road.

With a few kilometres of gravel roads along the way it won't be an occasion for wearing my mostly white AGF jersey!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gods, the Knotweed and I very nearly saw Darwinian selection in action last night.

Approaching a roundabout in the car, well after dark and in heavy rain, a cyclist appeared from our right on an apparently unlit bike, no reflectors, and clad entirely in black, and proceeded to turn right off the roundabout (ie cross two exits and leave by the third). In doing so he was very nearly collected by a car puling onto the roundabout which would not have been able to see him as without a front light he'd have been completely hidden by my car's headlamps - and after all that he had the temerity to make nasty gestures at the driver. Turns out he had a large rear light, but that really helps people in front of you see you, doesn't it?

The Knotweed and I (cyclists both, I should point out) had a little confab and agreed that had there been a collision we'd have had no option but to tell the police that he'd been cycling like a tit, and there was very little the driver of the car could have done.

What is it about bikes that makes people think they are invulnerable when their actions make them very, very vulnerable? [Mad]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Biked to church today. 11km each way, nice weather. Not all that fast, yet, averaging around 16 km/h.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A royal ride for me today: Suva to Nausori on the Prince's Road (25 km) , and back on the King's Road (20km). Quite a lot of up and down hill on both, so not super-fast, but satisfying for someone who had 3 months off the bike with a broken foot.

And in case you're wondering, the Republic of Fiji also has a Queen's Road, but it goes in the opposite direction, so that 's a ride for another day.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

So, what are people thinking of the Giro d'Italia so far?

I've been impressed by Nibali's form especially in the time trial and it looks like it will be a titanic battle between him and Evans who looks as cool as a cucumber so far. One thing I like about the Giro compared to the more formulaic and predictable Tour de France is the time bonuses available on the finish line each day, it encourages riders to race instead of just being content with finishing in the same group

It was disappointing to see Ryder Hejesdal fall out of contention so badly last night, it's always better to see the defending champion put up a good fight and remain around the pointy end of the race. I know that the climbers are meant to be nice and light, but he's looking a bit too thin (and short on core stability) to do a top performance in a Grand Tour.

Rigoberto Uran's performance to win last night's stage was pretty cool, staying away solo for the win like that. It was also surprising, since I would have expected Sky to hold him back to tow Wiggins up the hill like they did the previous time Wiggins got dropped. I wonder if Sky have switched to an each-way strategy now instead of supporting Wiggins at any cost?

The performance of Wiggins is what's been most surprising, for a red-hot favourite at least. I wasn't expecting him to get dropped by Nibali and Evans twice before the halfway mark (granted, he didn't have the Rogers/Porte/Froome train towing him up like he did at the 2012 Tour) or to have such difficulty avoiding getting dropped on the descents as well as the climbs. His bike control is still better than his mouth control though, check out this steaming pile from Sunday...
quote:
“Let’s be honest, I descended like a bit of a girl really after the crash … Not to disrespect girls, I have one at home. But that’s life and we have to push on and deal with the disappointments.”
Those women in the elite road cycling ranks who started out on mountain bikes would be quite disappointed to have Sir Brat claiming their skill on descents are as bad as his. What a wanker.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Yeah, where's Marianne Vos when we need her? I think she'd teach the Drama Llama Sky Train how a real team rides.

Okay, her Twitter feed says she's in Tuscany with the rest of Rabobank, but still. A quick side jaunt over, whip the Giro pack into shape, and then a real ride later.

Honestly, now that Sky's imploded, Ryder's out, and most everyone who was expected to win besides Niebeli is making a hash of things, it's become a race to watch for the scenery and the peleton, not for who's going to win. Oh well.

Happily, there's the Tour of California, sponsored by Amgen, makers of such fine pharmaceutical products as...oh. Right. Probably best to leave that part out of the press releases.

At any rate, it's a pretty good race so far; lots of dark horse riders from teams you've probably never heard of if you're not a fan of certain bike manufacturers who promote the teams who use their bikes (seriously, who saw a Vacansoleil rider in the yellow bear-print and a 5-Hour Energy guy on the podium next to him and Sagan coming?), lots of Americans who supposedly know the course, and everyone's first taste of 100º heat hardly a month after the rainy spring classics ended. Also Peter Sagan being, well, Peter Sagan. Happily, he hasn't done anything facepalm worthy on the podium this time. Stick to wheelies, finish line dances, and epic sprinting, dude.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I wouldn't write off the GC as over just yet. Nibali is prone to his bad days being really bad, and Evans has shown in the past that it's never over until it's over. You never know, Uran could still be a factor if Sky switch their strategy to work for him and Robert Gesink is still too close to the lead to be ignored.

I would like to see a downhill race between Sir Brat and Marianne Vos to see if he can descend as well as a girl. If she's not available I'm sure that the result would be the same with Kirsten Wild, Loes Gunnewijk, Gracie Elvin or a fair few others.

Your favourite WorldTour team is making the news for the wrong reasons in the last 24 hours, with DCM confirming they will pull their sponsorship at the end of this year as expected and also reports that Vaconsoleil is looking to get out or drop their commitment to become the secondary sponsor. Combine that with their sponsorship deal from Bianchi ending this year (they had always ridden Ridley bikes before 2012) and it looks like their days may be numbered.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I went for a ride as I went down a (short) hill I thought "i'm descending like a girl, but that's ok because a) I am a girl, and b) Bradley Wiggins sometimes descends like a girl!"

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Your favourite WorldTour team is making the news for the wrong reasons in the last 24 hours, with DCM confirming they will pull their sponsorship at the end of this year as expected and also reports that Vaconsoleil is looking to get out or drop their commitment to become the secondary sponsor. Combine that with their sponsorship deal from Bianchi ending this year (they had always ridden Ridley bikes before 2012) and it looks like their days may be numbered.

Them and everybody else, it seems—although Vacansoleil confirmed they're pulling out at the end of the season. I can't see Bianchi not wanting to work with a WorldTour team, what with all the recently announced tweaks they've made to their high-end, you-can't-afford-'em road bikes, so I'm guessing that either the team folds, finds new sponsors, or they start wearing celeste jerseys next year.

Which, given how buttugly that white, dark blue, and yellow kit they've got now is, might make a good change strictly from aesthetics.

Either way, my support/tendency to follow V/DCM was mostly for the bikes, less the riders. Same thing with 5 Hour/Kenda. Whoever rides the bikes I like gets my vote.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Leaving the elite buggers behind for a minute (like they'd do me if I ever tried to ride with them [Biased] ) I'm a happy chicken today because on Tuesday I did my flattest route to work (relative term; 14.5 miles and 700' of climbing) at 15.8mph and joked I'd now have to try to do it at 16.

Today I did. With a headwind.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Very Nice Indeed. Not bad for Bike to Work Day!

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Came back at 16.2, which is odd because there's another 200' of climbing. The 10-20mph tailwind might have had something to do with it!

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Well that would have to be the most bizarre bike race I've ever watched. I understand that road cycling is a summer sport, but the only sign of anything hot I saw on that race tonight was the podium host on the right with the stunning smile.

At this point tomorrow night's stage of the Giro could well be even more bizarre because nobody knows where it will be yet thanks to high chances of avalanches on the Mont-Cenis and the Col du Galibier.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Today my friend and I did just over 55 miles today, this is the furthest I've ever done in a day. The first 35 miles were fine, but the last part started with a very long and steep hill in the boring rain, and then there was about 15 miles in to the wind. But we are feeling suitably proud of ourselves.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016