homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I had a Dew, and loved it. But as the Dew was a great design most companies are doing their version.

They're all made by the same companies in China and Taiwan, so it shouldn't be a surprise that many of the lower-end non-manufacturer brands like Kona, Cannondale, Trek and so on all have flat bar road bikes that look quite similar.

My guess would be that it was actually Giant that started the trend.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rode in the "Tour of Fiji" earlier this month: a 4-day stage race for the national championship. Not that I was a contender for such honours, being double the age of most competitors. So my self-imposed task was to tow the grupetto up hill (lots on day 2) and/or into the wind (lots on day 4). Apart from that, the weather was fine and it was a good social occasion, with a dozen locals being joined by 4 riders from Australia. More such visitors would be welcome next year.

(The race is held annually around this tine of year, with the Fiji Day public holiday on 10 October. For more info look up "Cycling Fiji" on FB. )

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SWEET! Go you, and congratulations! Sounds like an absolute blast-and-a-half.

NP: I'm not sure if there *is* that much theory behind Schraeder/Presta, really, except that mountain bike/commuter/old skool American tires use Schraeder (you can remove the valve core pretty easily and pour in tire sealant if you live in a part of the world where goatheads and stickerbushes are so common you'd go five feet between flats without the stuff) and skinny Euro tires use the thinner Presta valves to avoid compromising the structural integrity of the skinny wheels. You can also put an adapter onto a Presta valve to make it compatible with a Schraeder air pump, which is actually pretty handy—having one air pump, one little adapter, and a tiny glueless patch kit (along with tire levers, which you were carrying anyway, right?) lets you bail out pretty much anyone you meet along the side of the road with a basic, run-of-the-mill flat.

It's the real reason you should carry both spare tubes and patch kits: the tube's only good for you, but the patches can help everyone.

As for figuring out how to keep your glasses from fogging up: good luck, and I'll second the Nobel nomination.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
I rode in the "Tour of Fiji" earlier this month: a 4-day stage race for the national championship.

I think I'm right in remembering that this in itself is unique, as the only UCI member federation to award its national road race championship in a stage race.

The closest I've come to doing that was riding a lap of the championship circuit at Buninyong during the break between the U23 men's race and the elite women's race this January. Sadly, I think at that pace I would have been dropped beyond the time limit by even the ladies after four laps.
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
NP: I'm not sure if there *is* that much theory behind Schraeder/Presta, really, except that mountain bike/commuter/old skool American tires use Schraeder (you can remove the valve core pretty easily and pour in tire sealant if you live in a part of the world where goatheads and stickerbushes are so common you'd go five feet between flats without the stuff) and skinny Euro tires use the thinner Presta valves to avoid compromising the structural integrity of the skinny wheels. ...

I've heard some people say that Schraeder valves have a lower maximum pressure than Presta, but I haven't been able to confirm this for myself due to the maximum rated pressures for the different tyres involved. I don't think structural integrity would come into it, the flat section through which the valve hole is drilled isn't that important for the structure and most bike shops are happy to drill it out (on metal rims at least) for customers who particularly want to use Schraeder valves.

If you're on a road bike you shouldn't be using slime in your tyres anyway, it adds a whopping great deal of rotational inertia and isn't really fit for use at high pressure. A bit like suspension seat posts, I think it's one of those things that's still on sale but only as a high profit margin upsell for gullible people who've seen the TDU go through their area and got inspired to try riding a bike but want something comfortable instead of useful.

The advantages for Presta valves that I can confirm from my experience are the variable stem lengths available, being able to screw on a locknut to keep the valve stem from disappearing through the rim (would have been useful if I had that on my old 26" MTB) and of course the bling factor of a slim valve looking far nicer on an expensive wheel than a fat car-style valve.
quote:
As for figuring out how to keep your glasses from fogging up: good luck, and I'll second the Nobel nomination.

A few drops of video camera lens cleaning fluid straight onto the glasses, then polish with a fine microfibre cloth. It's probably exactly the same stuff as the ultra-expensive fluid you see the Bolle and Oakley reps applying to the pro racers' glasses in the Tour Village before a big day of racing.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Yesterday I successfully completed Amy's Ride SA* again, doing the 100km variant including a rare annual ride on the Southern Expressway.

Big improvement since last year, 36 minutes taken off my overall time despite a malignant block headwind for the majority of the route and unhelpfully annoying crosswinds on most of the other bits. Unlike last year, I also managed to keep the speedo from dropping into single figures on Australia's greatest racing hill where Simon Gerrans smashed the WorldTour field on Australia Day this year.

The legs didn't feel too bad after 100km plus the 35km ride home, though adding on a 10km hike near Mt Lofty this afternoon put me in the hurt box!

The man who had a heart attack 3km after the start last year finished it this time, but for good measure he did have Dr Bill Griggs (Accident & Emergency director at the Royal Adelaide Hospital) riding with him.

* the flagship event supporting the Amy Gillett Foundation which works for cycle safety improvements in honour of Amy Gillett, who was killed when a German woman crashed her car into our women's national team on a training ride. The AGF's CEO is the new UCI Vice-President (and former Commonwealth Champion and Australian National Champion) Tracey Gaudry.

[links checked - WW]

[ 04. November 2013, 10:48: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I can't understand is why anyone would want to commute in the UK without mudguards.

You should see some of the things people cycle without here in Oxford. Lights is a common one, I've seen any number of people with their cantilever brake arms spread wide and thus no way of stopping, but I think the commonest one people cycle without is a clue.

Yes, I am a cyclist!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... but I think the commonest one people cycle without is a clue.

Yes, I am a cyclist!

AG

Agree.

Unfortunately I saw a fair bit of that yesterday, including:
  • riding two abreast at 20 km/h on the flat with no headwind, needlessly blocking up other cyclists and motorists on an open road section. Relax and chat at the refreshment stops FFS!
  • a spectacular clip stack by an idiot trying to take a shortcut along a footpath into a refreshment station.
  • Darwin Award candidates drafting a public bus on an open road section.
  • morons taking the racing line through corners across continuous lines on open road sections.
  • one guy taken off in an ambulance after a an incompetent drafter got too much of a tow and ran up his arse.
  • people riding past said stationary ambulance at 55+ km/h, over double the limit for passing a stationary emergency services vehicle.
  • riders descending the Willunga Hill climb which was closed for one way bike traffic.
  • Worst of all, Stravassholes racing on certain sections during what was supposed to be a participation ride. Please note - a KOM on an obnoxious antisocial networking website does not make your penis any bigger.

We were apparently blessed/burdened with the unannounced presence of Sir Pratley though! On the Whickham's Hill Road descent (not my video) I followed a rider in full Sky Procycling kit (including gloves = wanker!) who was taking very shallow lines into the corners followed by panicked braking and ending up exactly where he was looking - right on the outside edge. After the descent he then sat on my group and refused to pull a turn - just like Wiggo didn't pull a turn even once in the World Championships this year!

Generally the behaviour was quite good, but it's unfortunately far easier to list the noticeable examples of the worst behaviour than the innumerable examples of the best - such as the hundreds of calls of "car back" or "passing on the right mate" or those who did slow down at hazards like the ambulance. I can easily say I understand the average motorist who only notices the visible minority of cyclists who flout the road rules and make life hell for other road users.

[link checked - WW]

[ 05. November 2013, 01:40: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What I can't understand is why anyone would want to commute in the UK without mudguards.

I commute by bike in the UK (London) without mudguards. Works fine for me.
Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Upthread there was a post about suspension seat posts. They cost about $15 and are worth it if your roads are anything like the freeze-thaw pothole ones we have here. Saved my back more than few times.

It is -18°C (0°F) here today. We had a blizzard on Sunday which started with rain, and finished with snow on Monday morning. Suspect we're in winter now until April per usual. I have 304 metal studs per tire and was fine warm with no problem today, going by the cars in their endless lines with drivers breathing steam and exhaust. I got home in 45 mins with the radio reporting 1½ hours for the silly cars. There's something of happiness in beating the effing autos.

We do ride on footpaths and sidewalks (pavement) in the winter if the snow and ice makes roads unsafe. They often plow the snow into windrows at the edge of the road. Last winter some of these were 2 metres high. They take them away in the spring or if they decide they have enough budget. These ridges of snow make the roads progressively narrower and narrower. And nothing's worth safety, so on the pedestrian paths we go.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those of you who are on facebook already know about this, but I'm engaged!
Yes, Marianne Bianchi and I are a Thing now. I've put down my deposit, and have her hanging on a hook in the back room with my name on her. Sexier than any girl I'll ever date, that's for sure...and any girl I won't, for that matter.

We're in lurve. It's furevah. I'll post wedding pictures once my celeste brake hoods and pedals come in, but here's a pretty good engagement photo of the lovely bride-to-be, abeit with the wrong group set.

I mean, really. Did YOUR girlfriend come with an 11-speed rear derailleur?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I mean, really. Did YOUR girlfriend come with an 11-speed rear derailleur?

Well, one of them, but that is a discussion for a board which no longer exists here.

Nice bike.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But where do you put the 10 kg sack of rice and the rest of the shopping?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

On the other bike, of course!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Health to ride it, Ariston! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice lines - I would be jealous if I didn't already have the perfect bike for me. Being a lot shorter than you I would probably need a mounting block to get on, and resort to falling off instead of dismounting.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016