homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
I'm not sure that the helmet debate would work too well in Purg, the problem being that the anti-helmet position is marked by extensive cherry-picking of reports based on sketchy anecdotal evidence. A rational discussion would simply not be possible so I'm not going to bother starting or engaging in it.

tgc,

You know better than to respond to a hostly post, particularly while continuing to taunt in a decisively not AS-style.

Gwai
All Saints Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last week in Bruge walking anywhere was made difficult by the local cyclist in any public square. Although there are cycle lanes around the square most cyclists ride straight through the middle, expecting pedestrians to get out of the way.

What surprised me more was the lack of security. Cycles are often left unattended and unlocked. Contrast that to Britain where a friend returned to where he had left his bike securely chained by the local railway station to find both brake cables and both gear cables had been cut.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually if a cyclist is coming towards you on a level pavement and you are worried that they will hit you the best thing to do is stand still because they will find ity easier to avoid you than you them - and if you both move in thge same direction you might collide. Also if there is a collision the cyclist is likely to come off worse.

Of course if some idiot races through a crowd at thirty-five miles an hour all bets are off - the best thing to do to them is probably to poke them with a big stick when they go past and watch them smash into the floor - pity that doesn't work with dangerous car drivers

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
OhSimone
Shipmate
# 16414

- Posted      Profile for OhSimone   Author's homepage   Email OhSimone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
That's 25% uphill. It is far too steep to be any fun to descend unless you are addicted to terror.

On a related note, I'd be careful having too much fun on any incline. I hug my brake levers going downhill now, after having to swerve to avoid a van that hadn't indicated [Mad] while going c.30mph down Blackstock Hill in North London resulted in me landing hard enough to sheer my hip right through.
Posts: 198 | From: The Black Country | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would recommend against riding the brake consistently while going downhill for two main reasons:
1. Heat - even light braking creates an immense amount of heat in the wheel rim or the disc, which can be enough to melt and blow out a road bike (racer to you UKians) tyre.
2. Pad and rim/disc glazing - when you break lightly you actually polish the surfaces of the brake pad and the rim/disc which could mean trouble the next time you do need to brake sharply.

I would suggest using intervals of heavier braking and then coasting to descend a steep hill instead, just as you do with a car.

On the topic of steep descents, also make sure you don't get the wobbles from simply going too fast. A friend of mine is using the bus to get to work and typing with one hand after busting his collarbone when he used the last bit of control he had to bail off onto a soft grass bank at about 90 km/h on the second-steepest road in South Australia. His wife was not impressed!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what do you class as the steepest hills cheesy?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's what I've been told are the steepest roads in SA. I suspect that this may be a subject open to debate though, mainly around how long you have to have a certain gradient before it is more than just a nasty undulation!

The outright steepest road is the section of Gores Road just down from Mt Lofty, which is a low-quality gravel surface and technically still an open road but restricted to non-vehicle and CFS use only. The 400 metre road traverses about 70 metres of elevation. Walking up that way is tougher than the Waterfall Gully to Mt Lofty walking track, which at least has a nicely surfaced track with switchbacks and/or stairs for the steepest bits!

The second-steepest road and the steepest road open to traffic is a hill on Morgan Rd between Ironbank and Scott Creek. This is where my friend got the wobbles and came off. I've only cycled this twice, and ironically both times it was going up rather than down because I had to complete the loop through Cherry Gardens, Dorset Vale and Bradbury back to Cherry Gardens (and then home) somehow, and even that was going to be far easier than going up Scott Creek Road to Heathfield and Stirling before going back downhill to Ironbank.

As far as Adelaide cycling goes, I don't think anything comes close to being tougher than going from the plains to Mt Lofty. It's not so much the gradients that are the problem for me (I live in Aberfoyle Park so I'm used to that!) but rather the fact that it just keeps on going with no level sections and only three short dips in 11.8km of climbing for almost 600m of elevation gain. The only thing stopping it from being 11.8km of swearing for me is that I don't have big enough lungs for cycling that route and cycling at the same time!

[ 14. October 2011, 11:55: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a long downhill I tend to pump the brakes. Squeeze and release. I don't like going too fast...

--------------------
Ken

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother who is very fit - and is, admittedly a bit of a nut, rode up and back down Baldwin Street in Dunedin. His partner told him she wouldn't be the one ringing the ambulance if he came off - he didn't, but I think he found riding through the mountain passes when he rode along the West Coast of the South Island more demanding.

The only time recently that I've ridden down a steep street (having put my bike on the bus to get up there)I used the same technique I'd use in a car as I was scared the brakes would lock if I just squeezed them. It was scary, but exhilarating and I wouldn't chose to do it again.

Huia

[ 14. October 2011, 18:47: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a youngster, my mother was told on me by a man local who regularly drove his car down our hill where we lived, and he told her I kept overtaking the cars, going too fast. It was only a hill road about quarter of a mile going down, and I did jam on my brakes when I reached the road across at the bottom. It was also a hill road where we whizzed down having fun when it had snowed and the road was covered icy-snow. It wasn't as busy as London, just going up about another half a mile towards the top of the farm buildings, and above there was where I collected the cows and brought them down to milk them, but not on my bike.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pumping the brakes is good.
I went through a phase when I had to dismount to go down the smallest hill, or panic would take over! I lived at the top of a dirt track drive at the time, and once my brakes failed near the top. I managed to get to the bottom, despite all the pot holes, without falling off, and had the choice of turning downhill or uphill. I decided uphill would slow me down better, mis-timed the turn, and ended up in the hedge opposite, with a twig up my nose.
My husband was quite surprised when I hobbled back, pushing the bike, with the twig still up my nose.
He thought I was at the post office.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
[..] I used the same technique I'd use in a car as I was scared the brakes would lock if I just squeezed them. [...]

What's the technique then?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My brother who is very fit - and is, admittedly a bit of a nut, rode up and back down Baldwin Street in Dunedin. His partner told him she wouldn't be the one ringing the ambulance if he came off - he didn't, but I think he found riding through the mountain passes when he rode along the West Coast of the South Island more demanding.

That looks too steep for any direction. 38% [Eek!]

As for mountain passes, they are dangerous to ride as the length of the climb can leave you knackered, and you really, really want to have your wits about you on the descent, especially if it involves alpine bends. You are not in the Tour de France, so you can take it easy up and down.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thankfully we live on a river delta so life round here is reasonably flat - any climbs we do have are relatively short.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
[..] I used the same technique I'd use in a car as I was scared the brakes would lock if I just squeezed them. [...]

As others have said, pump and release. Having independent front and back brakes means that you can alternate them, pumping the front as you release the back. But only do this if you are sat firmly on the back of the saddle.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ta. Seem to have missed this earlier.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:

As others have said, pump and release. Having independent front and back brakes means that you can alternate them, pumping the front as you release the back. But only do this if you are sat firmly on the back of the saddle.
... and take greater care still if you are cornering, even gently!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I please just boast about my ride yesterday? I went out with the Cycle Club and did 44 km. We live in quite a very hilly area so I was pleased that I managed to finish. I can't say I managed to keep up with the others, as they kept having to wait at the top of hills, but I did it!

I'm lucky that Mr D is very good to me and looks after my bike for me.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Can I please just boast about my ride yesterday?

Boasting about rides is always a good think to do, you need to share the sense of achievement with others.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dormouse, I am impressed! [Overused]

I think pushing you limits brings a satisfaction worthy of sharing with the world.

Huia

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Pushing your limits? At my age managing to do what I could 3 years ago is an achievement.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need a new saddle. Whilst I hesitate to call myself a Lady, I definitely need a 'ladies' saddle. In case it's relevant, I offer the further information that, although my best friends could hardly call me slim, my bottom is not particularly fat. In fact, I definitely feel the lack of padding. I only ever cycle short distances - 4-5 miles max, and usually only 1 or 2 - but one of the things that discourages me doing more is my aching seat bones. Perhaps that's just age. [Frown]

Any advice, shipmates?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lost a lot of padding on my rear with a tummy bug a few years ago and although I've regained the weight [plus some more] not on my gluteus maximus and someone, can't remember who, suggested a gel saddle but I understand they cost a small fortune so I got an old fashioned sprung saddle, not quite of the sit up and beg variety though I may get one later as they are certainly the nicest to ride on.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

QLib I have a ladies saddle that has some kind of gel in it. I find it comfortable, though it did take some getting used to even though my previous bike also had a ladies saddle and had gel.

My current bike is a Specialized and the saddle is both longer and narrower than the Avanti.

If you go to your local bike shop you could try different makes of bike to check their saddles or you may find a shop that will allow you to buy one that can be swapped within a week if not satisfactory.

Huia

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Padded shorts! Padded shorts! Padded shorts!!! I wouldn't get on my bike without them! I wear two pairs - a specially designed ladies pair and a specially designed men's pair. That makes it bearable - but TBH, nothing works if you don't cycle regularly. If I take a couple of weeks off, the next ride isn't as comfortable as it could be!

I do have a ladies gel saddle too, but not a big fat one. Mine's a lady's racing one.

[ 17. October 2011, 16:12: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Three ways to beat the saddle soreness.

1. padded underwear - worn under normal clothes for people who don't want the lycra look.

2. gel saddle cover - with the added bonus that it can be removed in wet weather so you don't need to ride on a wet saddle.

3. both.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Three ways to beat the saddle soreness.

1. padded underwear - worn under normal clothes for people who don't want the lycra look.

2. gel saddle cover - with the added bonus that it can be removed in wet weather so you don't need to ride on a wet saddle.

3. both.

My favourite tactic for avoiding being the cause of severe eye damage is to wear the proper padded knicks underneath regular shorts. As a bonus, regular shorts also have functional features like pockets!

Nice decent ride for me today, doing a "commute" to spend a lazy day at Adelaide Oval watching the cricket while procrastinating about doing some study on my laptop. 25.6km there going mostly downhill or on the flat, and a much slower 27.9km return trip, with the use of a slightly more friendly route up into the hills that I had on the way down!

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm feeling the need to moan, not because it will help, but coz I'll feel better! Do cars have no concept that cycles are vehicles to, and we are not invisible? Really not impressed with the cars squeezing past me, pulling out in front of me and generally making life difficult today.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
Do cars have no concept that cycles are vehicles to, and we are not invisible?

No, they don't.

That's why you must either cycle where no car could kill you even if they tried OR you must put your arse in front of their windscreens, ideally with day-glo yellow plastic all over the place, so they cannot possibly not see you. Skulking in the gutter does not work.

In Britain by far the most common cause of death or serious injury to cyclists - twice as much as the rest put together - is drivers turning left across their path. (in some other countries the equivalent would be right turns).

The safest thing to do is ride assuming you are invisible. The second safest, if that is not practical, is to bloody well make yourself visible even if it annoys the car drivers.

As a white-van-driving friend of mine once said, drivers are confused most of the time. They have to process a lot of information very quickly. To do that they have to categorise it. Some of them only have space in their minds for two categories - motor vehicles and street furniture. A few are clever enough to add a third, pedestrians. Almost none can handle four.

So - and this is serious - in a road where the traffic is moving at an average speed of, say, forty miles an hour, drivers will treat you as if you are moving at forty miles an hour, or as if you are stationary. They simply aren't clever enough to compute where you will be next if you are going at fifteen miles an hour. If you are riding between them and the kerb, EVEN IF they look over their shoulder or in the mirror and spot you before they make a manouvre, as they are taught in driving lessons, (and most don't) when they come to make that manouvres they will contine to assume that you are still where you were when they last saw you. But even a fat middle-aged bugger like me can move five to ten metres in a second on a bicycle. So even if they saw you, you are not where they think you are, so you are invisible. And you have to ride accordingly.

Which means, if you are going in between motor traffic and the kerb, always make sure you are

(a) going as fast or faster than the cars, or

(b) going at not much more than walking pace, or

(c) prepared to emergency stop if someone comes up behind you and turns left or halts in your path, or

(d) have a safe place on your left to deliberatly fall over in to

[ 18. October 2011, 16:56: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Ken I'm aware of the choices I just get frustrated! I usually go with option D, but with moments of being VERY visible!

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having started this thread, I'm jolly glad to see it fills a Shiply niche!

Just to say, I'm enjoying being back in the saddle; so much so, that enforced car-driving days seem like a penance now. No horror stories yet.

Just ask me again in mid-December ..... [Eek!]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

I'm also newly returned to cycling, and am enjoying it. Really not looking forward to the snow and ice when I won't be able to ride.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm also newly returned to cycling, and am enjoying it. Really not looking forward to the snow and ice when I won't be able to ride.

And today the wind was so strong that as I went along a road, the wind was against me and I had to cycle very very strong to go not even as fast as I usually cycle, still very slowly.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Usually the wind is against me on the down hill, and helps me up the hill, for which I am grateful.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Usually the wind is against me on the down hill, and helps me up the hill, for which I am grateful.

You're obviously doing something wrong then, it's supposed to be a head wind both ways [Big Grin]

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the dubious distinction of being pursued and warned by the Police for breaking the speed limit in a 30mph zone. It was very early on a Sunday morning and I was biking over to my parents house via a very steep downhill with a freakishly strong downdraft. I hit the top of the hill at just over 25 mph and I was touching 40 mph by the time I saw the speed trap. Too late to stop I went through and got a warning that if I did it again I would be prosecuted for "riding furiously".

I miss my bike, now gone from my shed for over 10 weeks. As soon as the insurance comes through I will be mobile again.

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
I have the dubious distinction of being pursued and warned by the Police for breaking the speed limit in a 30mph zone. It was very early on a Sunday morning and I was biking over to my parents house via a very steep downhill with a freakishly strong downdraft. I hit the top of the hill at just over 25 mph and I was touching 40 mph by the time I saw the speed trap. Too late to stop I went through and got a warning that if I did it again I would be prosecuted for "riding furiously".

I miss my bike, now gone from my shed for over 10 weeks. As soon as the insurance comes through I will be mobile again.

There's actually no speed limit for bicycles, as it only applies to motor vehicles. There is indeed an offence of "wanton and furious cycling", but riding fast should not be enough to get you a conviction (though I've found one case on the internet where that has happpened: the law is an ass).

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe 'Riding furiously' was originally applicable to horses, and that you could be fined to 40/-.

Such riding on a cycle is inclined to bring about its own punishment.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

The law in Australia is that speed limits do apply to cyclists, and it is their responsibility to obey the speed limit regardless of whether their bike is fitted with a speedometer or trip computer of some kind. In a rather infamous case a few years ago, a player from the Port Adelaide Football Club ended up in court because he disputed a speeding ticket given to him by a traffic cop, the laughable bit was that he had recently been dropped from the playing 22 for being too fat and slow!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I think our law is imilar to Australia's - but it's not one I'm likely to break anyway.

Huia - slowest object on Christchurch's munted roads [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Newport cyclists have been doing their bit for transplant surgery this week (I think). Between Mrs Sioni and I, we have seen three cycling on the wrong side of the road, two without lights when they were needed and one of those in the dark going the wrong on a roundabout! Not just any old roundabout, but one over a motorway junction (ie, with slip roads [Eek!] ). These are just those we have seen, so there must be a heck of a lot more out there.

I didn't see any of them come to grief but it can only be a matter of time, surely?

[ 22. October 2011, 21:27: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would frame a speeding ticket given to me on a bike. There is a fixed speed camera near my house where with some effort, you can get to 65 km/hr. The cars tend to slow to 55 km/hr (limit is 60 km/hr) and there is great delight in passing them. (Adelaide High- Cheesy)

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Dormouse

# 5954

I am relatively pleased with myself - this weekend I cried off cycling with the club...I said I had a bad back (partially true) but after last week's long hard slog I just didn't fancy it! But it was such a beautiful day on Saturday that I felt it would be a crime not to go out.

So I did a difficult(ish) 6km climb- which Mr D reckons is a second category climb - with a 6 km whooping downhill home again. I'm afraid I did the climb in stages - every 500m I allowed myself to stop and take a breather - but I got up there...which I'm pleased about. I can't imagine ever doing it without stopping though! Mr D is of the find-your-rythm-and-just-keep-turning school of Going Uphill, but I'm more of the give-yourself-a-goal-to-get-to-and-then-you-can-stop school. My legs/lungs can't manage the other -I'd go so slowly I'd fall off!!!

--------------------

Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe this belongs on another thread or even another board, but I'm posting it here because I'd like to know what cycling shipmates think.

Quote posted in Purgatory by Dafyd on the Giles Fraser has resigned thread:

See this from the Dean in the Guardian:

quote:"The staff have been working flat out with the police, fire brigade and health and safety officers to try to ensure that we have confidence in the safety of our worshippers, visitors and staff which will allow us to reopen," Knowles said. "We have wide statutory obligations to ensure the safety of our staff, congregation, visitors and pilgrims and final checks will be made tomorrow.

"A passageway allowing evacuation procedures to be improved has been created; the kitchen providing food for those in the camp has been moved from close proximity to the building; bicycles chained to the railings have been shifted and a clear pathway restored."

Why do the "authorities" think that bicycles chained to railings are a safety hazard? Bicycles not chained, yes, they might fall on someone. But bicycles safely secured? What's the risk?

Any ideas?

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

My guess would be that it is not a very wide path, and that the bikes are making it narrower?

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Which means, if you are going in between motor traffic and the kerb, always make sure you are

(a) going as fast or faster than the cars, or

(b) going at not much more than walking pace, or

(c) prepared to emergency stop if someone comes up behind you and turns left or halts in your path, or

(d) have a safe place on your left to deliberatly fall over in to

I usually only go between cars and the kerb when both a) and b) apply! I.e. the cars are more or less stationary.

I also model car drivers (and especially taxi and bus drivers) as homocidal maniacs who are out to get me.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:
Why do the "authorities" think that bicycles chained to railings are a safety hazard? Bicycles not chained, yes, they might fall on someone. But bicycles safely secured? What's the risk?

Any ideas?

In Australia, railings that are next to paths are required to be kept clear for people with impaired mobility to use as an aid, and also to not protrude on a path. A friend of mine didn't take the sign seriously at university one day and came back to find that his bike had been removed and could be retrieved from the parking office once a fine of $40 was paid!

It was a lovely day with just a light breeze and a temperature of 22°C yesterday so perfect for a nice long ride through the hills. The legs sure hurt today after that! 73.7km to Bradbury, Hahndorf, Echunga, Kangarilla and back home including some 20+km of nearly deserted roads that really don't lead to anywhere, gravel tyres needed in case you're interested patdys!

[ 30. October 2011, 05:27: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

Made it up the hill on the way home that I haven't made it up before. Made me happy. (There are still other hills to conquer.)

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Made it up the hill on the way home that I haven't made it up before. Made me happy. (There are still other hills to conquer.)

There always are. Congrats on getting up that one [Smile]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw a pair of deer on the trail this morning; possibly because it had been overcast and was raining until just before I headed out.
Anyhow, good to see them!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016