homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we are going to get into a helmet debate (I'm totally game, let's) we should probably do it in Purg. I had an experience lately that totally persuaded me be damn glad I wear a helmet though, so wear em wear em wear em, I say, at least if you're on the road with cars, for sure.

[ 22. March 2012, 13:56: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I forgot to mention that helmets are also good for brushing off low-hanging vegetation that can't be avoided any other way and being nicer than the alternative for magpies who swoop too low.
quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
BA - I'm a frequent gear-changer as I like to spin not strain. the mountain bike gearing I find is good for exerise riding as the right gear is always there.

Agree, mountain bike gears are more practical. There is a commuting ride I do regularly where I use nearly the full range across the round trip, thanks to a nasty 12% gradient.
quote:

TGC - I'm with you on the flashing lights, I keep the front one angled down so that it doesn't dazzle traffic, because of that it doesn't illuminate that well when it gets really dark, hence my wish for a flasher and a steady light. There seem to be some good bargains online.

I use a Geelong-based online store at velogear.com.au for parts and accessories because they get a perfect blend of prices and service for me. When most of the Australian retail industry can't hope to compete against overseas-based online stores, it's good to come across somebody who has managed to make it work,

What I use for a headlight (to illuminate your path on steady) is one of these, angled so that the top of the cone is kind of going to the horizon while the bottom is about five metres in front. http://www.velogear.com.au/products/3_W_Front_Light-557-272.html

For a front marker light (just to be seen on a gloomy day when a headlight is not needed) I use a little 3 LED unit which is really just a rear marker light made with white LEDs instead of red, attached to my helmet with gaffa tape. That one came from the outdoor store Anaconda, in a pack with the similar rear marker light and my cycle computer
quote:
Just found this link today to a cycling blog on the Sydney Morning Herald. It stirs up the helmet daebate again (sorry!) but most worringly, I've just found out that I'm a MAMIL - middle-aged man in lycra... [Roll Eyes]
I fall just outside the MAMIL category, being only 25 and not really liking the skin-hugging jerseys. I prefer a bit more air than a jersey allows, so it's generally a synthetic outdoors or sportswear shirt for me. The best one I've come across is the current teamwear from the Adelaide Strikers Twenty20 team, which is a fantastically lightweight and good-looking shirt made by KooGa, the two sponsor decals being far heavier than the fabric they are fixed to!

I do go with the proper shorts sometimes, but for commuting they are generally underneath lightweight pants or shorts that would be a little more acceptable for being seen in public without needing to get changed at my destination.

[ 22. March 2012, 14:22: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From a safety point of view, if you cycle in town the only light that counts is s red flasher on the back. You can see forwards because of the traffic lights, and no front lamp any same cyclist is likely to want to carry will be anywhere near as bright as car headlamps so they won't make you stand out from in front anyway.

Effectively all accidents are caused by motor vehicles coming from behind or the off-side anyway, so a front lamp won't help. You want a back flasher, and shiny clothes or at the very least a reflective belt and/or bag. Reflective strips on frame and poedals do no harm either. No need to hoik around hevy batteries, let the cars provide the light - as long as you are relecting it back they will see you.

And eschew all lycra. Expensive and pointless. A £1.50 T-shirt from Primark does just as well! Use the money you save to buy a reflective shoulder belt or bag.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm nervous of traffic and also live in a very hilly area, so have made the most of cycle paths based on old railway lines. That ensures that the ride is mostly either flat or only a very gentle uphill. On the cycle track closest to my house, we've had European funding for a huge bridge to span the valley (avoiding the previous steep downhill to the valley floor and uphill the other side), as the original rail bridge was removed many years ago. These old rail tracks have been well-restored by Sustrans and are ideal to introduce families to cycling, plus nervous returners who haven't been on a bike for many years.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
From a safety point of view, if you cycle in town the only light that counts is s red flasher on the back. You can see forwards because of the traffic lights, and no front lamp any same cyclist is likely to want to carry will be anywhere near as bright as car headlamps so they won't make you stand out from in front anyway.

<snip>

let the cars provide the light - as long as you are relecting it back they will see you.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work so well if the oncoming vehicle is another bike, or if you're approaching a pedestrian on a bike path. I ride with both rear and front lights so that I'm visible to joggers on shared-use paths or back roads (would that more of them returned the favour!). As well, much of my commute takes me through some poorly-lit inner-city areas where street people, whether on bikes or on foot, tend to wander all over the road or walk/ride down the wrong side of the road. I find it safest all round to ensure everyone knows I'm there.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of at least one occassion in town where cyclists not having front lights meant I almost turned into them. Not all urban roads are well lit. Have a look at the spot and see what happens to the street lights. That photo is taken at least a decade later and shows little improvement over the situation as I recall. Admittedly the cyclist had no back light either but it would not have made any difference if they had. I fortunately had an eagle eyed passenger who notices that there was shadows moving on the other side of the road that wasn't just branches swaying.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Cheeseburger for the link to Velosports - they have a very good range of stuff and the prices look pretty sharp.

I'm still keen on a "constant" front light as I do much of my riding at night, and it's a combination of streets and bike tracks, some of which go through some fairly dark areas. When you turn off the well-lit street onto the bike track it can get dark very quickly.

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
I fall just outside the MAMIL category, being only 25

I'd say that you're a good few years away from MAMIL yet! [Big Grin]

I only ride for exercise, I don't commute, so I find that it's just as easy to don the lycra. In my defence, all of my gear is plain and unadorned by logos - I don't see the sense in paying to wear somebody else's advertising, and as for looking like an overweight entrant in the Tour de France, who would I think I was kidding? Anaconda have some very good jerseys that are a loose fit, and they have the extended tail and back pockets. Good price too if you buy during their sales.

Since I've had the bike, for anybody that I talk to about cycling, their first question is "do you have bike pants?" My answer is always the same "Yes, and I look magnificent!" [Killing me] That stops the conversation every time!

One other thing that I always wear is one of these RoadID tags. Mrs Cryptic (a runner) bought us all one of these, they are very popular in the running world. Mrs C has twice been on a run where somebody has collapsed with no ID and the emergency services have had no way of contacting family.

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hadn't seen the roadtags before, but what a good idea. With the bumpiness of the unfixed roads, the loose gravel on the newly fixed, and the virulence of the road rage floating round Christchurch at the moment, I think something like that would be a good idea.

I haven't been out on hy bike for weeks, due in part to some of the factors mentioned above, but I'm going today [Yipee] and tomorrow the weather should be fine enough to bike to church -a 20km round trip, which I relly enjoy if I leave myself enough time to bike through the park. It'e heart-lifting to see the next generation of cyclists getting their confidence there.

As for helmets - they are compulsory here for everyone. There is a fine of about $80 for non-compliance, but usually police will just demand you show up at the cop shop, helmet in hand, within 48 hours. Before they were compulsory my youngest brother, a very keen cyclist suggested I get one. I said they were too expensive. He said, "What's your brain worth?"

Then spoilt it by saying, "Not a lot I know, but you need to preserve what you've got".

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's scary to think that, only a generation ago, baby cycle helmets were not widely available and baby seats on the back of bikes were not protective at all. But then again, a generation before that, seatbelts in cars were almost non-existent.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and did everyone die?

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comments like that, DS, are best suited to the Purgatory debate that Gwai refers to at the top of this page - perhaps you'd like to start it?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was still an archaeologist, I used to cycle to the dig. A young volunteer joined us, and decided he wanted to cycle as well - which in his case meant splashing out on expensive lycra cycling kit which he then had to change out of when he got to the dig. We all laughed at him. I came in my digging clothes (dirty jeans, German army shirt, thick jacket and a woolly hat - and steel toe capped boots!).

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Effectively all accidents are caused by motor vehicles coming from behind or the off-side anyway, so a front lamp won't help. You want a back flasher, and shiny clothes or at the very least a reflective belt and/or bag. Reflective strips on frame and poedals do no harm either. No need to hoik around hevy batteries, let the cars provide the light - as long as you are relecting it back they will see you.

I also disagree about front lights being unnecessary. A LED light will run off three AAA batteries (next to no weight), a good one can be seen for over a kilometre and is bright enough to see a good amount of your path ahead. Seeing potholes, kerbs, upraised tree roots, puddles, sticks, changes in the surface and so on is just as important to safety and comfort as being seen.

Besides the importance of being able to be seen by pedestrians, other cyclists, motorists and kangaroos, there is also the fact that the road laws and Australian Standards require a front light that records a defined minimum brightness at a specified distance.
quote:
And eschew all lycra. Expensive and pointless. A £1.50 T-shirt from Primark does just as well! Use the money you save to buy a reflective shoulder belt or bag.
Rubbish. I like to arrive at my destination with my shirt not drenched in sweat. Except for a ride I do in the cool of the night that is mostly downhill, I never wear a cotton shirt when cycling. An outdoor/sport shirt designed to wick away moisture is a good alternative to a skin-hugging jersey if that's not your preference, and it doesn't need to be expensive as long as you take a little time to look around at different sport or outdoor stores and pounce when sales are on.

I guess it depends on the distance you are travelling. I regularly go for a 12 kilometre ride featuring a big climb on a 10% grade, which is hard work. If going for really short distances on the flat, "normal" clothes should be fine.

[ 24. March 2012, 12:42: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Be interested to see how this turns out...

Who are Sydney's anti-cyclist 'TRAFFIC' twins?

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First ride of the season today - an easy 30 km grocery shopping and such. Loved the stares from people exiting the store as Mr. Red maneuvered our Easter turkey into his pannier.

All the sweeter because it's supposed to start snowing overnight [Waterworks]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently changed bikes, having sold the Scott cyclocross bike on Ebay and picked up a secondhand Cannondale Bad Boy. First hybrid bike I've had, and it seems good. Having had a Cannondale in the past and loving it, I was wary of buying a secondhand aluminium [framed] bike, due to issues in the past with cracking frames on used bikes with dubious history, but this seems sound.

Having made my opinions clear on the helmet issue i won't push anything further on these boards, but on the subject of lycra, I find that even cheap bike shorts worn under trousers makes for such a more comfortable ride than without. We don't wear lycra to look cool/stupid or go faster. It's about comfort.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm after a bit of advice - my right hand is still not comfortable on the handlebars since my various broken bones last year - does anyone have any experience of bigger handlebar grips? I am wondering if I can manufacture something out of foam plastic that might make things more comfortable - it is going to take a long time to regain full flexibility and this might just help.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I did it. After burbling for over a year on the subject of buying a bike, having moved from London to Banbury, I dived in, chose a bike on line from the Halfords list, and effectively went against all the advice given so far, had I been aware of this thread in the first place.

Not doing my research before purchasing the bike has led to one or two minor issues. Carrier and mudguards weren't included, so buying those effectively soaked up any saving on price reduction. Also, though it was clear I would need the women's bike frame, my assumption that I could get my leg - either leg! over it, was unfounded. A wonderful illustration of use your mobility or lose it. Yes, going to the local bike store, and there is one in Banbury, would have been a really good idea. They might have advised something with smaller wheels. Maybe Halfords would have done the same - they were pretty helpful when I picked the thing up. At the moment, the bike has to be tilted sideways to reduce the frame height for me to get astride. The upside to this will be doing the necessary exercises to regain more hip mobility. Possible, if painful. Hello Pilates. A vist to the local bike shop for the extra bits and pieces, which they kindly fitted for me, as well as adjusting the saddle height, was the start of a new relationship. They will be my port of call for all help, especially as this shop is relatively close to home, if steeply downhill. And then uphill.

From my main road the view of town is across the centre, which is in a considerable dip, to the hills on the other side, about 2 miles away. (Small town.) Getting down there is easy, though downhill riding is scary, and my consumption of brake blocks is likely to be three times that of the usual rider's. As an arthritic 60-year-old and a late returner to cycling, getting uphill means pushing the bike. What the hell, it's all exercise. Last week I achieved what a friend in his 70s described as a geriatric triathlon; Cycle downhill to the swimming baths, swim, then cycle to the supermarket. Load groceries onto carrier, swing swimming bag from handlebars, and push bike home - uphill. An hour of exercise at least, a third of it load bearing, which at my age, is important. The bike is the right size, once i'm astride.

Has the whole exercise been a mistake? Not necessarily. I might have given myself an easier ride in many ways by taking time over my choice of bike, and getting some professional advice. Old habits of bying cheap rather than slightly more expensive die hard. I also failed to assess changes in my own physical capacity in the ten years since my last bike died. But ultimately my goals are being met: excercise, reduced use of the car, and no parking costs. Except, of course, when it's raining.

[ 11. April 2012, 17:20: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't feel bad about needing to tip your bike to get on. The technician at the bike shop instructed me to always tilt the bike to safely get on and off rather than swinging my leg over the back. I'm not sure if he was assessing my age or lack of body awareness in striking my leg, but it works really well and is much more secure.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I'm after a bit of advice - my right hand is still not comfortable on the handlebars since my various broken bones last year - does anyone have any experience of bigger handlebar grips?

Don't grip. Resting your hand on top of the bars enables you to steer. And the hand is close enough to the brakes if you need them. (Still gripping with the good hand is advisable though.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
okay folks - winter is in retreat, we're getting the bikes out, and I'm broke. so, post-winter's sleep bike maintenance on an almost non-existant budget: what do I have to do, what can wait, what do I need to spend money on?

we're talking 4 bikes for 4 people.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WD40 fixes most bike problems [Smile]

Spare inner tubes in case of puncture

Reinforced tyres if you can afford them to avoid punctures

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Evil limit ate my edit. I was trying to say:

WD40 fixes most bike problems [Smile] Takes about ten years off your apparent age when added liberally to gears, chain, and axles (try to keep it off the brakes!)

Spare inner tubes in case of puncture

Reinforced tyres if you can afford them to avoid punctures. Saves hours of frustration.

Spin the wheels to check that they are mounted properly, rub nowhere, and the brake blocks can contact the rims on both sides. Only takes half a minute - maybe five minutes if brakes need adjusting. You ought to do that every time you change tyres and at start and finish of longish journeys anyway.

And that's about it. Or so I've found. Bikes are pretty robust things and don't really take much maintenance unless you are a fanatic.

The other thing that really helps is truing the wheel. If you are capable of doing it yourself that's effectively free (well the cost of one spoke tightening tool that lasts for years and is probably less than ten dollars where you are, and possibly a few replacement spokes). I'm not capable of it, its well beyond my skill level, so I've paid for it to be done now and again which is expensive but worth it.

--------------------
Ken

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

WW - you should be able to get some chunky soft handlebar grips to make things a bit better. Do you have some padded gloves or mitts? These make a difference too, and check your posture, I find that if I slouch my wrists drop and they start to hurt.

Jacobsen, sounds like you have had a bit of an adventure, but hey, you're back on a bike. Once you get back into it and you're more used to the bike, get your bike shop to re-adjust everything for you and I'm sure that you'll find that it all comes together really well. I'm also a bike-tipper to get on and off My saddle is up pretty high, but my legs don't go up as high as they used to!

Comet - give your bikes a general once-over. Check that everything works, and things are tight that should be tight. Check brakes are working and that brake blocks haven't hardened. Replace if necessary. Clean chains and gears, wipe off any gunk with a rag moistened with some kerosene or turps. Better still use a chain cleaner if you can get one. Dry chain, and re-lubricate - put a drop of oil on the roller of each link - this will make the most noticeable difference of anything you do. On brake and gear cables, put a drop of oil where the cable runs in and out of the sheath, you might need to tip the bike or turn it upside down to do this and let the oil run in. Check tyres and pump them up.

For "oil" I recommend going to a bike shop and getting some synthetic chain oil. This stuff works a treat and a little goes a long way. Ken, sorry, but I wouldn't put WD40 near anything on my bike. I've always found that WD40 is one of things things that tries to do everything and doesn't do anything particularly well. Much better to get the right stuff!

Hopefully will be well enough to get a ride in this weekend - beautiful chilly autumn days her now - perfect for riding!

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I'm after a bit of advice - my right hand is still not comfortable on the handlebars since my various broken bones last year - does anyone have any experience of bigger handlebar grips?

Don't grip. Resting your hand on top of the bars enables you to steer. And the hand is close enough to the brakes if you need them. (Still gripping with the good hand is advisable though.)
Velo ergonomic handlebar grips are comfortable additions to your bike, and provide more supportive area to enable you to rest your hands on the bars rather than gripping them.
Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot about this thread, which is a shame, since Phaedrus the Bridgestone and I have been out riding a lot more in the last few months. It turns out that hanging out during Thursday night potluck-and-beer at the friendly local bike shop gets you to go out on weekend rides . . . and bike more in general.
The title of the thread is unusually apt, since the original components on Phaedrus are showing their age—18 years of riding takes its toll on your chain and cassette! Having your chain slip every time you put significant pressure on the drivetrain—you know, going up hills, trying to not get hit by a car—isn't much fun, since, well, those are the times you really need it not to slip. I think at least one person riding with me compared it to a typewriter. Happily, I've a new cassette and chain, so the XO-4 doesn't have to go to Bike Heaven.
Oh, and the new bike. The university's security department had its annual lost-and-not-found auction yesterday; I almost got myself a vintage lugged steel Schwinn 14-speed road bike for 50¢. In the end, I ended up forking over $5.50 (well, and $160 to have it worked over and brought to being safely rideable), but still! Not bad for an old, but still very nice, bike.
No, it doesn't keep me from lusting after a Bianchi Volpe. No, it's not keeping the people at the shop from putting on an "Ariston needs a new bike!" fundraising drive. But still—it's good to know my vintage bikes are still able to keep on running.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've found that I can no longer do the twist grip gears on my bike that has twist grip gears so I'm back on my single speed machine without suspension, which is a literally bit of a pain in the butt! But it is going okay now I have had the brakes sorted so they generally work. This is a sort of faux mountain bike thingy with horns on the handlebar - this is it, except I also have a shopping basket on the front to carry camera, etc.

The horns are generally silly but with a bad right hand they are a bonus as I can rest my hand quite comfortably on the horn.

It is a trundler but it gets me about town okay and a bit further if I want to do it - like church and back.

My gluteus maximus seem to be getting used to riding again after about an 8 month lay off and I am resigned to getting of and pushing on the steep bits but being in my mid-60s I have nothing to prove to anyone. Even so I may invest in one of the super sprung saddles they use on the sit-up-and-beg type bikes - they weigh a lot but are like sitting in an armchair!

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WW: I would advise you to avoid the saddles with lots of springs. They are like an armchair: they offer about as much support when pedalling as an armchair would. Therefore when you ride more than about 100 meters your buttocks suffer from the extra effort.

Taking one of then away from my daughter's bike and replacing it with a proper saddle (firmer but still padded) made her life much easier. Having the right saddle for you (people's backsides differ!) is one of the most important aspects of comfort on a a bike. The other is getting a frame that is at least close to the right size for you, so that you can adjust saddle height, handlebar height and reach etc to be exactly right for you.

[ 22. April 2012, 08:39: Message edited by: Tukai ]

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone stole the saddle from my last bike and I replaced it with something off the shelf. I hadn't given any thought to it but it turned out that the replacement was much more comfy than the old one so I guess the theft cloud did have a silver lining.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been looking for a replacement for my trusty Kona Dew. I've checked out the local shops, and one of the chain stores (pun intentional) at Leeds.

I don't tend to buy on-line as my needs are not normal, cycling mainly one legged and living amongst hills.

I pick up a slightly modified Trek 7.3 FX D next weekend.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me a while to realize that, when browsing Trek's website, a 7.3 FX is not the same as the Series 7. It's a big difference between that Kona (or, well, anything Kona makes) and this.

Big difference.

In other news, the Schwinn is out of the shop as of Thursday, but today was the first day I was able to take him on a real ride. When we weren't stopping to fix the three flats the cute-but-cursed mathematician had (seriously, the girl had the worst luck), I was busy chasing the people riding Bianchis and Orbeas—and keeping up, even as they tried to ditch me. For a new bike, it doesn't perform badly at all—for a 26-year-old one, well . . .

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Not that, this.

As for an 18 year old chain and cassette AA, has it had heavy use? I'm not surprised it slipped, I change mine after about 3 years. When I was younger and fitter I was lucky to make a chain and cassette last two years.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone had experience of one of those stationary bike machines? I'm not sure what they're called, but the back wheel rests on rollers which can be adjusted to prove greater resistance. Sort of like an exercycle, but using your own bike.

I am thinking of getting one for exercise, as the combination of winter, munted roads and drivers with advanced road rage means I'm not getting the exercise I usually do.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Has anyone had experience of one of those stationary bike machines? I'm not sure what they're called, but the back wheel rests on rollers which can be adjusted to prove greater resistance. Sort of like an exercycle, but using your own bike.

I am thinking of getting one for exercise, as the combination of winter, munted roads and drivers with advanced road rage means I'm not getting the exercise I usually do.

That would be a trainer.

They were originally like the wind trainer integrated into a stationary exercise bike - noisy and bulky. These days you can get them in either fluid or magnetic variants which allow for the resistance to be more controlled by a lever you place on your handlebars, but confusingly you might still see them referred to as a wind trainer because of what they've descended from.

A fluid trainer works a bit like trying to drive an old car with a torque converter automatic transmission while the handbrake is on and will give you a more realistic cycling experience as fluid dynamics is a better simulation of real cycling. These will be the quietest option but also more expensive than magnetic trainers.

A magnetic trainer uses a rotating disc to create magnetic eddy currents which in turn create a braking effort (this effect is used for braking high-speed trains in Europe) but won't be as realistic because eddy currents just aren't anything like the dynamics of real cycling. Due to the laws of physics, a mag trainer will also create heat which needs to be dispersed by vents so it will be noisy, but a good amount cheaper.

Fluid - http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Fluid_Trainer-94-378.html

Magnetic - http://www.velogear.com.au/products/Magnetic_Trainer-95-378.html

For the kind of figures on those pages, you could probably get a second-hand exercise bike or even a really cheap new one. DON'T - you'll only get something really crappy for that kind of price, you would need a high-end exercise bike for it to be a better option.

--------------------

Hgjules
Apprentice
# 16796

- Posted      Profile for Hgjules   Email Hgjules   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any shipmates have experience of dutch-style bikes, am mired in confusion about what to buy at the moment? Am looking at this sit-up style due to a dodgy back. It seems you can get poor quality, heavy versions for £200 (note this feels quite enough to me for a bike) and the lighter models with better gears are around £350. A well respected chap in a local bike shop has thrown a further spanner in the works by recommending a modern dutch version, a Pointer Horizon. Great spec but heavy. Plus no reviews anywhere in the UK. Am also keeping a weather eye on ebay but anything vaguely useful goes for over £100 and I then worry about its provenance and the lack of guarantee.
Anyhow, any advice for a newbie would be very welcome. Forgot to say, the distances I would be travelling are low, 1-2 miles at a time.

--------------------
Doesn't do decisions

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Balaam—yeah, I figured that one out after a moment. The cassette on the XO-4 only saw heavy use once I started riding it, and riding it more (as opposed to walking, mostly). I was surprised how well the bike held up, though, given its age.

As for "Dutch" bikes, I assume you mean something like this? Priest handlebars, low stepover, single gear, coaster brakes, full length chain guard, kickstand, platform pedals, fenders, probably a bell, basket, and lock, and, with the exception of that Kona, likely weighs half a ton? I'm surprised to find out that one was made of aluminum; since most of them are only ridden a few miles, there's no incentive to make them light, but, for the urban environment they're ridden and parked in, plenty to make them durable and cheap (so that if they're stolen, it's not so bad). That Africabike is likely your best option, if you can get it where you are. It's specifically designed to be a cheap bike that works well, especially in urban or unpredictable settings where technical performance isn't an issue.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks GC. the bloke in the shop was busy, so i didn't get to ask him abot the stock they had. It also cleared up my confusion about the term 'wind trainers'. I thibk the magnetic one wouuld suit me best as I'm not looking at high level performance or price.

Huia

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
single gear,... plenty to make them durable and cheap (so that if they're stolen, it's not so bad). That Africabike is likely your best option

Single gear? (Does that mean what I think it means?)Cheap at £450? Surely a single gear bike that's very heavy would be almost useless = especailly to someone with a bad back. [Confused] I'm sure you know what you're talking about and I don't, so I wonder if you could explain a bit.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Well, I wouldn't say I know everything, just hang around the bike shop too much for my own good. They have free beer, so . . .
Technically, that bike has three gears (three on the chainring, one on the freewheel), which is as much as you'll ever see on a bike of that design—simply put, derailleurs break down a lot, which is antithetical to the ideal of the city bike. You're going to be riding the thing off curbs, loaning it out to other people, letting it fend for itself against bike thieves; you don't want to be anywhere near the most noticeable bike on the rack. If it looks light, fast, trendy, and not black, it might ride off with someone else.

Thus, to get back to the point, klunk is intentionally part of the design. Yes it's heavy, yes having one or three gears isn't going to get you anywhere fast, but you're not going anywhere fast anyway—and plus, by the time you and your groceries are loaded onto the bike, the bike's weight is going to matter a lot less than you'd think it would. Just pedal slowly, and hope you don't run into very many hills—which, if you're on a crowded urban sidewalk or bike lane, shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you had to go faster than, oh, ten miles an hour, or further than the next couple of neighborhoods over, it might be one. For short jaunts of two miles at an easy pace? Not so bad.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've just seen this on another website:

quote:
Let's have a moment of silence for all those stuck in traffic on the way to the gym to ride stationary bicycles
It tickled my fancy, if you'll pardon the expression.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:

As for "Dutch" bikes, I assume you mean something like this? Priest handlebars, low stepover, single gear, coaster brakes, full length chain guard, kickstand, platform pedals, fenders, probably a bell, basket, and lock, and, with the exception of that Kona, likely weighs half a ton?

Mine is Sparta Athena Dutch bike - very useful and also quite heavy. I really love it and have had it for many years and it feels safe to be on. I recommend that one too!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, the Omafiets!

I had the use of a knackered one many summers ago. On the flat the riding position was wonderfully comfortable, and being able to carry a crate of beer on the carrier was a Good Thing. As soon as you get on a gradient, though, you felt as though you were about to fall off forwards/backwards (depending on the direction of slope). It was a bike for getting to places comfortably, rather than at speed.

I'd suggest you talk about them, and try before you buy. If you're somewhere hilly it may not be a good option, if it's vaguely Hollandesque you're laughing.

The fact that the handlebars were offset by about five degrees on mine is irrelevant to you, but made for very confusing cycling, as I always felt I should be going straight, and kept turning!

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I ride a Dutch bike (well, actually it's a trike), but I shelled out for a high end one as I don't have a car so I use it all the time. I ended up spending around 2k on a Bakfiets trike. You can get cheap Chinese knock-offs but they have a reputation for snapping in the middle. Mine can comfortably take an adult passenger in the box (though the acceleration with a 35 stone combined load is not impressive).
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not a bike rider at all but found this link in the Sydney Morning Herald, this afternoon. On bike saddles. I have no idea how useful the link is but am posting it for others. There are also comments on the article.

(And I used preview post!)

[ 03. May 2012, 08:51: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks for that Loth, fascinating.

The saddles on both of my bikes were designed for women, and are very comfortable, though I don't think I ride far enough to develop too many problems.

How often does his column appear in the SMH? It looks as though it would be worth following.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The saddles on both of my bikes were designed for women, and are very comfortable, though I don't think I ride far enough to develop too many problems.

How often does his column appear in the SMH? It looks as though it would be worth following.

Don't know frequency but it could perhaps be in the sports section which I normally never read except for one of the columnists. I saw the heading in the online edition.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:

Don't know frequency but it could perhaps be in the sports section which I normally never read except for one of the columnists. I saw the heading in the online edition.
It's in the Executive Style section, not sports because he's a lifestyle rider who likes to look cool with all the right kit, not a racer. It's also a column tailored to the people who read that section regularly rather than normal people like us. The link to the blog itself (rather than individual articles) is at http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/fitness/blog/on-your-bike

My advice for normal people is simple - just get a reasonably firm saddle with a nice deep channel in the middle, and don't go for too much padding because you end up compressing it when you sit on it anyway. Don't use a slip-on gel-filled seat cover either, it may be comfortable in the shop but makes things worse in real life as the gel shifts away from areas it should be supporting.

[ 05. May 2012, 08:11: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the first time ever I changed the inner tube on my bike all by myself. Am feeling suitably pleased with myself.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

So, stretching the frontiers of biking—Baltimore's Kinetic Sculpture Race. You take a human-powered "sculpture" through the streets of Baltimore, into Chesapeake Bay, through sand traps and mud pits, and ultimately hope not to break down so much that you can't finish.

Our sculpture was The 1%, with the pit crew (including me) being the 99% who have to support, bail out, and otherwise save the rich folks in the car. A gold-coin covered fiberglass car shell, powered by custom-welded bikes, packed with closed-cell foam, with a little political and social commentary added on for grins . . .

We won the top prize—the East Coast Grand Mediocre Championship. Besides meaning that we're eligible to compete at the Humbolt Bay/Ventura, CA Kinetic race, it means we're just pretty dang awesome.

It's kind of a big deal. All of us involved are still a bit shocked.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

"Grand Mediocre," now there's an oxymoron. Congratulations AA.

I got the new bike today, as mentioned in my blog.

The ride from the shop was uneventful, but not enjoyable due to the sheer volume of traffic. I apologise to those people on my route who were traumatised by the sight of me in lycra. Let's face it, I'm a MAMIL.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016