homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
Wait, "reassert" Australian cycling dominance? Suddenly, you win one Tour and you have enough dominance to have to reassert it?

I'm talking in cycling at the Olympics. 2008 was a year to forget on that front, though we did wipe the floor with the Brits at the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Invalid comparison, therefore 'wiping the floor' is incorrect. The United Kingdom competes as at least sevan separate teams at the Commonwealth Games. Chris Hoy is a Scot, Geraint Thomas is Welsh, Mark Cavendish and Mark Christian are Manx and Wendy Houvenaghel is from Northern Ireland. I'm sure others aren't English. That certainly affects team events and British athletes simply don't acord the same priority to the Commonwealth Games.

Let's see what happens in the summer, although I don't think the UK will do as well as it did in 2008.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks all - I need to buy a pump. It's a borrowed bike and we don't have anything to go with it. I had to leave it in the lobby while I went and bought a bike lock! In terms of pumps, ASDA didn't have anything in-between the '2 pounds piece of crap pump' and the '15 pound industrial model'. I'll keep my eye out for bike shops today.

It was only a very short ride so my nethers are holding up okay. [Smile]

It does suddenly make walking seem a rather laborious way of getting somewhere, though...

[ 01. June 2012, 10:36: Message edited by: Eleanor Jane ]

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eleanor Jane - when you're pump shopping, try and get one with a pressure gauge on. Mine has one (moderately cheap small pump from Halfords), and it means that I can be sure that the tyres aren't just 'solid enough', but up to the pressure limit (which is normally embossed on the sidewall). Even just raising them from the lower end of the recommended pressure range to the upper end makes a noticeable difference.

Know what you mean about walking, especially if you're living somewhere hilly...

Edit - think my pump was slightly under a tenner. That to me is a sensible price for something that clips onto the bike frame (clip and bits to attach included in cost).

[ 01. June 2012, 11:46: Message edited by: Celtic Knotweed ]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Buy a little pump to carry around for emergencies, the smalles tand lightest you can afford.

Also buy a bigger stand pump for home, with a pressure gauge. The sort you operate vertically with a two-handed grip on the plunger and your feet holding the other end to the floor. They make it much simpler to get up to pressure. Liek my typres took about twelve strokes of the stand pump and two hundred of the hand pump...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a very small electric pump for my car tires that runs off the car battery. I have also used it for the tires of my lawnmower. It is small and slow enough that I don't have to worry about overinflating the tires.

I bought it because I don't regularly check the pressure in my spare tire, and if I the tire is low when I need it, I can pump it up.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unless you want to spend a long time at the side of the road pumping up tyres, or only have thin tyres, small pumps are only good for getting tyres up to get you home pressure. But any pump is better than no pump.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in the developing world has its advantages - there are bicycle repair men EVERYWHERE over here - two or three in our village alone and several more within just a few kms - people here rarely carry pumps as they can always borrow one from any repair man.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IMO that makes where you live more civilised than here, Wodders.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two places I can get my bike repaired within a kilometre of home.

The one in the village area which is the best second hand bike shop in Christchurch has very helpful staff. I baked them a batch of nuffins as a thank-you when they had done a couple of snall jobs free for me.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

And they say, "Thanks for nuffin?"

It's cruel to joke about people's typos, but I couldn't resist. Sorry.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
And they say, "Thanks for nuffin?"

It's cruel to joke about people's typos, but I couldn't resist. Sorry.

[Big Grin] I though it was quite good actually, and I'm not sure if I would have been able to resist such temptation myself.

My excuse is that I'm getting used to new glasses. Other than that I put it down to liquefaction of the brain (we had quake 10,729 since Oct 2010 today).

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saturday a few of us from the Friendly Local Bike Shop rode down to the Air Force Cycling Classic Clarendon Cup Criterium race. Drinking beers, eating Tex-Mex, and watching riders keep up a good 45-50 KPH on a 1 kilometer loop course . . . yeah, it was fun. For us, anyway. I'm not sure keeping up that sort of insane pace for just over two hours on a 90º day is that enjoyable, though.

It was a great race, too—a quarter of the way in, Jamie Driscoll broke away from the pack, riding solo as he tried to lap the field—you can see it some in the video, but, between sips of Corona (it was a hot day, cut us some slack!) and guacamole, we thought it looked more like he had fallen off the back than caught the pack—it's hard to gain 30-odd seconds on a pack while riding solo!

It's even harder when the pack is moving fast enough to generate an appreciable breeze each time they pass.

Let it be known now: I may be a bit of a fast rider, but I Can't Do That.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone following the Tour de Suisse? There was an incident with a level crossing, but I can't find a video or photos of it. The joys of Twitter meant that I at least knew about it!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A level crossing closed at about 50km to go after the breakaway riders went through, so their lead increased from six minutes to eight minutes, making it a tough chase for the bunch instead of an easy one. That's routine, if you've managed to get so far ahead you avoid an obstacle like that then power to you. The bunch reeled in the breakaway trio in the end for a bunch sprint anyway, so it's a non-event that made a marginal difference to the race.

The only incident worth talking about is that the crossing activated just as the bunch arrived, and only the two teams at the front (Movistar and Orica-GreenEDGE) got through while the rest were held up. UCI road racing rules say that in this case no action is to be taken and it's treated as a mere racing incident, so the fact these teams (the ones taking the initiative in the race) were then forced to wait for the others who were sitting on to catch up is where the controversy comes from.

If they were not penalised, Movistar would have been looking for time (for their guy leading the general classification) while Orica-GreenEDGE would have been happy to help Movistar get that time as long as they got the stage win. If it was a small, disorganised bunch rather than two whole teams with the capacity to shake up the race then the organisers would probably have let it go.

I saw one in the Tour de France a few years ago where the lights came on and the barriers started coming down on the last few riders in the peleton and a couple of following motorbikes, leaving the motorcade waiting behind for nearly ten minutes as a heavy freight train and a passenger train crossed. The organisation perversely fined those last few riders after the day's racing ended.

[ 13. June 2012, 03:29: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The espresso machine is tuned up, the TV antenna adjusted for best SBS signal, French phrasebook dusted off, tracker app downloaded to the smartphone, chocolate stocks replenished and Liggett/Sherwen commentary bingo sheets printed. I'm ready for another edition of Le Tour!

It will hopefully be another year in yellow for the defending champion Cadel Evans, the large amount of time trialling is perfect for him. Some are saying Bradley Wiggins is in potential Tour-winning form so far this season but the opponents he's been beating haven't exactly been TdF contenders. In all seriousness, I think Wiggins will be up against it thanks to Team Sky splitting the strategy (and domestiques) between him and Mark Cavendish.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Liggett/Sherwen commentary bingo sheets printed. I'm ready for another edition of Le Tour!

Care to explain? Watched today, and looking forward to the next few weeks.
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It will hopefully be another year in yellow for the defending champion Cadel Evans, the large amount of time trialling is perfect for him.

Australia, Australia, Australia, we love ya, amen.

Personally, I think Cuddles may be at a disadvantage in the many long flat portions in this year's Tour—my money's on Manx Missile Cavendish, though Vacansoleil-DCM may be a sleeper team to watch, what with their great performance during this year's Paris-Nice.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Husband has now done 1000 miles of the USA, coast to coast - Seattle to Boston. 3500 to go.

He is sending some good photos back!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 808's have arrived. I spose I now have no excuses. Two years to a 226. Or 140.6 for the imperialists.
But the bike looks amazing, just amazing.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
quote:
Liggett/Sherwen commentary bingo sheets printed. I'm ready for another edition of Le Tour!

Care to explain? Watched today, and looking forward to the next few weeks.
Their commentary is quite famous for expressions like "the suitcase of courage," "the elastic has broken," "blowing the race to pieces," Phil asking Paul to talk about his experience of the hilly stages and so on.

They aren't as knowledgable on the current state of the sport as Matthew Keenan who does the first three hours of the stage, but their commentary can help up for a boring stage.

A significant part of their research leading up to the Tour start is in getting a spiel prepared for each of the historic sites that the TV helicopter will fly over during the coverage.
quote:
Personally, I think Cuddles may be at a disadvantage in the many long flat portions in this year's Tour—my money's on Manx Missile Cavendish, though Vacansoleil-DCM may be a sleeper team to watch, what with their great performance during this year's Paris-Nice.

It doesn't work that way!

Mark Cavendish may be very fast but he can only do it for a couple of hundred metres, so he is a contender just to win a couple of the flat stages where the whole field comes to the finish in one bunch. A bunch coming to the line together will all get the same time recorded so a Cavendish sprint win won't gain him any time over any other rivals. Once he hits the first hill bigger than a speed hump he'll be losing so much time that he'll be closer to the elimination time for the stage than the stage win, and I would be surprised if he completed the whole three weeks anyway.

The TdF cannot be won on the flat stages, but it can be lost in a crash. The contenders for the general classification like Evans and Wiggins will be looked after by their teammates and will just cruise along with the pack. The chance of a breakaway rider/group going ahead far enough to get a significant amount of time are minimal, because the teams with top sprinters will want to work together to chase down the breakaway so their guys can have a chance of winning the stage.

Tonight's stage is not one for Cavendish, it has a small hill at the end which will suit riders with more all-round capabilities like Phillipe Gilbert (BMC), Matt Goss (Orica-GreenEdge) or Edvald Boassen Hagen (Sky) far better than the pure sprinters.

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Their commentary is quite famous for expressions like "the suitcase of courage," "the elastic has broken," "blowing the race to pieces," Phil asking Paul to talk about his experience of the hilly stages and so on.

Don't forget Paul's "job of work". My favourite quote this morning: Phil observing that "we have a helicopter taking a picture of a helicopter".

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Husband has now done 1000 miles of the USA, coast to coast - Seattle to Boston. 3500 to go.

He is sending some good photos back!

[Smile]

Go that man!

Amazing how different a scale we work in - there is a part of the North Island that can easily be walked coast-to-coast in a day, and here in the South the Coast-to-Coast is a gruelling triathlon that can be done by the etremely fit in a very long day. They ride past the end of my street cheered on by the locals as the finish line is only about 10 to 15 minutes further on.

--------------------

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question on behalf of mr b, soon-to-be-biking home from work (hopefully).

When we move, we'll be living a few miles form the town in which mr b will be working and the kids will be going to school. Our ideal plan is: in the morning, I drive mr b and kids to work/school, pick up the kids at 3, then mr b cycles home when he finishes work. So He'll only be cycling one way.

A folding bike would be ideal, because we can stick it in the car on the way rather than faffing with a bike rack, and it's easy to store at work during the day (only place to store it is upstairs in the staff room).

Unfortunately there is a Great Big Hill in the way. My impression of folding bikes is that they are more appropriate for a town commute (station to office type thing) and not the best for over the hill.

There are two ways over the hill:
- cliff path; more direct but with, well, the cliff. People do cycle it, but I think they're nuts to be honest. ('meep!' says non-cycling wife)
- road: longer way round, steep descent with hairpin bends. ('meep!' says non-cycling wife)

Any advice/ knowlege of the way of the folding bike? Much appreciated.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

I agree with what has been said about Cavendish not making it to Paris, I don't think he will do things to compromise his Olympic hopes. In my dream world I would like to see Wiggins in Yellow and Cavendish in Green at the end, but I realise the unlikelyhood of that for several different reasons.....but I can dream can't I!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
I agree with what has been said about Cavendish not making it to Paris, I don't think he will do things to compromise his Olympic hopes. In my dream world I would like to see Wiggins in Yellow and Cavendish in Green at the end, but I realise the unlikelyhood of that for several different reasons.....but I can dream can't I!

The most likely jersey at the end for team Sky is the white jersey on Eddie the Boss.

If they manage any two of the three they'll be doing very well indeed.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Go that man!

Amazing how different a scale we work in - there is a part of the North Island that can easily be walked coast-to-coast in a day, and here in the South the Coast-to-Coast is a gruelling triathlon that can be done by the etremely fit in a very long day. They ride past the end of my street cheered on by the locals as the finish line is only about 10 to 15 minutes further on.

Thank you!

He leaving Jackson, Wyoming today - here is a clip from his latest email.

"There can be up to 80 people on the tour in any one week but only 37 left Seattle intending to do the whole thing. The current number of riders who have not been in the support wagon now total 27. We have become known as the EFI riders. It stands for Every F****** Inch. I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks!"

[Big Grin]

(PS - we live in Manchester, UK - so our normal scale is small too :0)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
quote:

The most likely jersey at the end for team Sky is the white jersey on Eddie the Boss.

If they manage any two of the three they'll be doing very well indeed.

If Wiggins drops out to injury and sets his domestiques free to race, I wouldn't be surprised if Richie Porte has a red-hot crack at the polka dots.

Speaking of young riders, it was the first time I had watched Peter Sagan last night and I was very impressed! Spartacus and the Boss are two pretty good riders to beat in a three-up sprint at the top of a hill. With the number of stages suiting all-rounders more than the specialist sprinters this year, I'm picking the green points jersey to be a fight between Sagan and Matt Goss who was one of the guys in the HTC engine room setting up big Cavendish wins last year. That is a little annoying as the new Orica-GreenEdge jerseys look quite similar to the Liquigas jerseys!

[ 02. July 2012, 13:28: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Speaking of young riders, it was the first time I had watched Peter Sagan last night and I was very impressed! Spartacus and the Boss are two pretty good riders to beat in a three-up sprint at the top of a hill.

And 6th on the flat behind the usual contenders today. You could on to something, especially if the big sprinting names save themselves for the Olympics in the last week.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Sorry, I still do a bit of a mental double-take whenever the announcers talk about him; all I can imagine is the world's most popular astrophysicist in his cardigan, pedaling in a very relaxed way, somehow exploiting some law of motion that lets him keep up with everyone else . . .

It's even more Zen than "our helicopter's taking a picture of another helicopter."

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
quote:
Speaking of young riders, it was the first time I had watched Peter Sagan last night and I was very impressed! Spartacus and the Boss are two pretty good riders to beat in a three-up sprint at the top of a hill.

And 6th on the flat behind the usual contenders today. You could on to something, especially if the big sprinting names save themselves for the Olympics in the last week.
The only thing potentially concerning for Sagan would be the amount of racing he's done, so far this year he has 13 victories in mostly quite important races so far, plus very good performances in Milan-San Remo and the Ronde van Vlaanderen. Add that to him being quite a young rider, and it remains up in the air as to whether he can sustain such a high level for the whole three weeks.

But then again, if there were no unknowns in cycle racing there wouldn't be the need to run the race!

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Andre Greipel got me a $50 voucher from my favourite online bike part store for winning the daily draw from among the people who correctly predicted the stage winning team. I picked Lotto-Belisol again tonight and Greipel got another great win, so hopefully not too many others picked them!

Great pity that there was another peleton crash in the last 3 kilometres tonight that took Sagan out of contention, but it was certainly good to see the guys who were in last night's crash - especially Robbie Hunter who was tumbling down right in the middle - all present in the race tonight.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some bikes that are fixed to "metal lights" etc. in the streets/pavements, fall down or get kicked and crash down, when they are supposed to be safe. This evening there was one all across the pavement so we couldn't walk the pavement and me and two others got it up and standing up again. It was heavy and we needed to work together to sort it. I hope the owner does it better and no-one attacks it again.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For cyclists in London, shocked at the Lea towpath closure for the Olympics:

Demo this Sunday (8th)

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Qoheleth - that link is only accessible to signed in Facebookers, have you got another one?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Some bikes that are fixed to "metal lights" etc. in the streets/pavements, fall down or get kicked and crash down, when they are supposed to be safe. This evening there was one all across the pavement so we couldn't walk the pavement and me and two others got it up and standing up again. It was heavy and we needed to work together to sort it. I hope the owner does it better and no-one attacks it again.

I agree, chaining a bike to a single pole is a recipe for it falling over easily. Show your bike a little more love and find a proper bike rack or a balustraded fence of some kind!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:

I agree, chaining a bike to a single pole is a recipe for it falling over easily. Show your bike a little more love and find a proper bike rack or a balustraded fence of some kind!
Assuming, of course, such things as bike racks exist where you happen to be. Remember, God meant us to DRIVE, donchaknow, so we don't want bike racks clogging up space we could use for parking!

This ignores the fact that many fences demarcate property lines—and, well, many property owners don't exactly take too kindly to having someone else's bike chained to their fence. Prop the bike up with the saddle leaning against the support, chainring facing out—it will stay upright longer, and, when it does fall because some nincompoop knocks it over, it won't damage anything you really don't want broken. If you're lucky.

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have permission to bike! Now, whether or not the ankle likes this, I feel so glad. I didn't think it could heal in time for this summer.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Qoheleth - that link is only accessible to signed in Facebookers, have you got another one?

[Disappointed] It looks like the group settings need adjusting. I'll get their admins to look. Meanwhile, there's a public-facing piece here.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
I have permission to bike! Now, whether or not the ankle likes this, I feel so glad. I didn't think it could heal in time for this summer.

Well done. Now take it easy at first, and build up your strength slowly.

-----

In other news, an historic two jerseys will be worn today in that little race across the Channel. Froome in polka dots and Wiggins in yellow.

Unfortunately many will not see this as they will be watching some Scotsman with yellow balls.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

What a great stage, well done to the young French rider Thibaut Pinot who soloed to the win. Highlight of the day would have to be watching the FDJ-BigMat team director cheering on his rider, he can pull on whatever colour jersey they have for the most passionate person involved in the tour!

The road race at the Olympics has lost a significant amount of its legitimacy tonight as Samuel Sanchez got injured badly. It's not really the same if the defending champion is not able to compete due to injury.

I did think it was quite funny that seconds after Wiggins and the others lost the sprint to Evans, the SBS broadcast cut away to an advert for erection medication [Snigger]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

As anyone who's visited the Shipmate's gallery knows, I have a minor thing for burros.

I notice that, even though they're quite cuddly, Cuddles is not being impersonated.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Sixth place is not too bad for a guy who's been sick most of the tour and going up against the strongest team since US Postal.

At least he wasn't "poisoned" like Frank Schleck.

Watching an individual time trial must be an interesting experience compared to a mass-start road race. Even with the field being thinned out by 45 riders abandoning in the last three weeks, the last rider on the road still starts over four and half hours after the first rider.

Perhaps that's the next 'different' thing that needs to come to the Tour Down Under around Adelaide for the 2014 edition. They had a summit finish for the first time this year, and the 2013 edition includes a more all-rounder friendly course with a finish after a descent for the first time in the race's history.

I'll be riding this stage which will definitely justify the 'challenge' part of the Challenge Tour name! I've ridden most of the roads in the southern part of the course at some point and there are a few nasty climbs other than the one where the points are on offer, as well as long stretches of continuous gentle slopes that you would never notice when driving a car.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Sixth place is not too bad for a guy who's been sick most of the tour and going up against the strongest team since US Postal.

It was good to see Cadel congratulating Wiggo on the road. Being gracious in defeat is something more sportsmen need to emulate.

Congratulations th Wiggo, Cav and the rest of team Sky on their win.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Personally, I'm thinking Chris Froome deserves a couple pats on le back; to have a lieutenant finish just after his leader—having held himself back in at least a few stages—well, that's something. Teejay Van Garderen and Thibaut Pinot had great rides too—and the latter may be France's best hope for defeating anyone from the Anglosphere any time soon in the GC. Sagan, of course, earned his Porsche.

Of course, the real winners are the race commentators:
"People are emailing us, asking what people in these villages do. To be honest, we don't know. They're very quiet."
"And they will all be staying in a hotel in Spain tonight with the exception of Nibali...because he is staying in the same hotel im staying in & his team bus is currently blocking my car in"
"One of the things many people watch the Tour for is the wildlife, especially the cows."
"We talked to the spokesman at RadioShack/Nissan. According to him, 'Our comment is, no comment.'"
"Froome & Wiggins...sounds like a solicitors firm doesnt it?"

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

On a completely non-Tour related issue, the postman just delivered me a box with new gloves, new gear cables, new chain rings, new chain and a shiny new 8 speed cassette! I'm happy!

You also have to say well done to the riders from RadioShack-Nissan. Their team's management is falling apart, their best climber is out injured and they had only six guys left at the end of the race, but they still managed to be the winning team!
quote:
quote:

It was good to see Cadel congratulating Wiggo on the road. Being gracious in defeat is something more sportsmen need to emulate.
No surprise there, Cadel Evans is a true champion in all respects. Hopefully he'll bounce back from his sickness and put in a true champion's performance to win the Olympic Time Trial next week!
quote:
Personally, I'm thinking Chris Froome deserves a couple pats on le back; to have a lieutenant finish just after his leader—having held himself back in at least a few stages—well, that's something. Teejay Van Garderen and Thibaut Pinot had great rides too—and the latter may be France's best hope for defeating anyone from the Anglosphere any time soon in the GC. Sagan, of course, earned his Porsche.

To be honest, I think the biggest question after this tour is which team Froome will ride for next year. He was clearly the strongest rider in the mountains and you could tell he was being held back by the team, he shouldn't feel too loyal to a team which stole two consecutive Grand Tour GC wins from him. He was easily the strongest rider on Sky in the mountains and close enough to Wiggins against the clock that he still would have won the Tour by a couple of minutes if he had been allowed to race in the last week. A lot of people were thinking that if a guy like Nibali rode a little less defensively and went up the road, Froome would have covered that move and got himself the yellow jersey - much like when Phil Anderson became the first non-Euro rider to wear it.

Maybe Orica-GreenEDGE should sign him as they don't currently have a grand tour GC rider? After all, numerous Australians have been instrumental in Sky's success, most notably Shane Sutton (head of the cycling side of things), Simon Gerrans and Chris Sutton (race-winning riders in 2010-11), Michael Rogers and Richie Porte dragging the team up the hills this year. I don't think it would unfair for Aussie squad to use a British-licensed guy like Froome to get the first grand tour win for a team from the Southern Hemisphere.

Hopefully next year's route will encourage some more interesting racing, and that more of the top contenders will be available to compete properly without being on the sidelines with injury or held back by sickness. It would have been great if Ryder Hesjedal, Damiano Cunego, Michele Scarponi, Denis Menchov and Cadel Evans were all fully fit and able to take it to the Sky guys properly.

One thing that is pretty clear is that like last year it was a pretty clean tour in terms of doping, the two busted riders (one not for a performance-enhancing drug) notwithstanding. The days of guys going on massive breakaways and getting ten minutes on the yellow jersey group over mountains are over, and like last year the winner's average speed was under 40 km/h.
quote:
"Froome & Wiggins...sounds like a solicitors firm doesnt it?"

I thought the same thing about Spite & Malice when Lance Armstrong said they were behind the USADA charges over alleged US Postal doping.

[ 23. July 2012, 00:47: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
On a completely non-Tour related issue, the postman just delivered me a box with new gloves, new gear cables, new chain rings, new chain and a shiny new 8 speed cassette! I'm happy!

Makes and models? Bike geeks need to know.

quote:
Hopefully next year's route will encourage some more interesting racing, and that more of the top contenders will be available to compete properly without being on the sidelines with injury or held back by sickness.
It's the 100th running. I'm hoping for all the Great Mountains but the now-impossible Puy de Dôme. Or maybe they'll bring back the old five day round-the-hexigon route . . . nah, not likely.

Still kinda sad Vaconsoleil-DCM didn't make a better showing, but that's because I'm a huge fan of all things Bianchi (and they ride these babies*)

*NSFW if you follow this thread closely. Just fine for everyone else.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Cadel Evans is a true champion in all respects.

Sure is

quote:
Hopefully he'll bounce back from his sickness and put in a true champion's performance to win the Olympic Time Trial next week!
Provided he avoids, or isn't too affected by, the post-victory UK media hysteria, that gold medal seems very likely to go around Wiggins' neck. The road race looks a lot tougher to predict - those laps around Box Hill might very well do for all the sprinters.

[In Olympic year, UK sports-watchers all become "lifelong" fans of cycling, rowing, sailing -for three weeks. We know we'll get a lot of medals from those events. Then it's back to soccer ...]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
quote:
Hopefully next year's route will encourage some more interesting racing, and that more of the top contenders will be available to compete properly without being on the sidelines with injury or held back by sickness.
It's the 100th running. I'm hoping for all the Great Mountains but the now-impossible Puy de Dôme. Or maybe they'll bring back the old five day round-the-hexigon route . . . nah, not likely.
The only parts of next year's route that have been revealed so far are the first four days. The first three (one flat and two medium) are in Corsica, which is appropriate for the one remaining department yet to host the Tour to get the Grand Depart. Day four is a TTT at Nice and day 5 leaves from Nice.

Being no. 100, I think it's fairly likely to feature the legendary mountains of Mont Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez (which were both absent this year) as well as the Col de la République which was the only mountain in the 1903-04 route. Visits to the six stage cities of the 1903/04 versions (Lyon, Marseille, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Nantes, Paris - only Paris was included this year) are also a strong possibility, with the 1903 start line at Montgeron almost certain to host the start of the final ride into Paris. It's also been a while since there was an uphill time trial, maybe that could make a comeback.
quote:
Still kinda sad Vaconsoleil-DCM didn't make a better showing, but that's because I'm a huge fan of all things Bianchi (and they ride these babies*)

*NSFW if you follow this thread closely. Just fine for everyone else.

Not Safe For Wallet? Not Safe For Wife?

That's a hideous livery, I wouldn't be seen on one of them! I wasn't expecting Vaconsoleil-DCM to do that well, they had an outstanding Giro d'Italia. It's generally the case that you see most teams (especially smaller Pro Continental teams) do very well in only one Grand Tour each year. Look at Sky, RadioShack-Nissan, Lotto-Belisol and Orica-GreenEDGE, they all had rather average performances in the Giro followed by a good time in the Tour. Garmin-Sharp had an absolutely shit Tour after getting the GC win in the Giro, but that was due to crashes and not performance.
quote:
quote:

Makes and models? Bike geeks need to know.
Santini gloves in GreenEDGE livery, just because they were the same price as plain-livery gloves!

Parts are all for my hybrid which came with an all-Shimano drivetrain, so it's a direct replacement Shimano XT cable set.

For the other parts I've switched to SRAM because I like the Powerlink chain, so it's a SRAM PowerGlide 850 8-speed cassette, SRAM PowerChain 870 8-speed chain, SRAM S800 crankset (chain rings).

After shifting house earlier this year my riding has changed and I'm a lot fitter so I never use the current 30 tooth first gear, therefore the new cassette is an 11-28 instead.
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Provided he avoids, or isn't too affected by, the post-victory UK media hysteria, that gold medal seems very likely to go around Wiggins' neck. The road race looks a lot tougher to predict - those laps around Box Hill might very well do for all the sprinters.

Nope. Fabian Cancellara or Tony Martin for the time trial.

[ 23. July 2012, 06:19: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Update on Mr Boog's USA coast to coast cycle ride.

He was in Northfield, Minnesota last night and is still in the EFI club (Every F***ing Inch!) - over half way now. He's very happy as he's permanently on his drug of choice (exercise)

Here is a map of the route.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TGC

Wiggo's in the form of his life. Sure, on paper and on track record, you'd have to go for Cancellara or Martin in the TT. But watch this space ....

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016