homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Weddings and Civil Partnerships 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Weddings and Civil Partnerships 2013
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another shiny new thread and a link to some exciting news!

Congratulations sophs!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gotted down on my liddle knee in front of my girlfriend in York and asked for her hand in marriage...and she said YES!! [Big Grin] [Cool] (Date undecided, prolly later on this year/beginning of next!)
Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations !!! [Yipee]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats, sophs! I wish for you to have all the happiness in your marriage that we have in ours!

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know that is Star Wars Day, right? Was that deliberate?

A Star Wars wedding could be cool...!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
You know that is Star Wars Day, right? Was that deliberate?

[Big Grin]

Sort of, it all fell into place and we're including lightsabers in the floral decorations!

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You rock, Sophs. [Big Grin]

Also-- squee!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Sophs

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lightsabres! What an excellent wedding! Congratulations and much happiness!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The curate at a neighbouring church - they use our building for most weddings as it is a) prettier and b) not in a shopping centre - had a Star Wars wedding for her very first one. Our vicar's wife looked out of the vicarage window and saw the car park full of stormtroopers *gulp* [Ultra confused]

It turned out that the couple had raised a lot of money for charity dressing up in Star Wars kit, however the costumes were all kept *outside* the church. But the newly-ordained curate had to rewrite her wedding sermon and has no chance of recycling it, as I believe is common practice! [Two face]

Mrs. S, just hoping the Intrepid Miss S doesn't get any ideas
*edited for spelling [Hot and Hormonal] *

[ 14. January 2013, 12:57: Message edited by: The Intrepid Mrs S ]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
congrats sophs! [Yipee]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Shrew and I have got engaged this week :-) although it may spill over into wedding next year as planning time needed

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats to Mr and Mrs Shrew! [Yipee]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm brand new to the Ship, but Mr Seeking and I got married a month ago. Our various Christian/Muslim/atheist family and friends all in one room with a female Unitarian minister and there no one complained about their particular tradition being left out - so it was awesome!
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure this is the right thread at all, but today's our 45th Wedding Anniversary, and we've got four generations helping us to celebrate it (us, my wife's parents, our eldest son and his wife, and two grandchildren.) And this will be my only post today!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas and Mrs Barnabas [Overused] I hope the celebrations go well.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr and Mrs Barnabas62 - Congratulations on your Sapphire anniversary..

Hope you have/had a wonderful day and many more to come. [Angel]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Barnabees!

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Barnabus62 and wife. What a great milestone!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Not sure this is the right thread at all, but today's our 45th Wedding Anniversary, and we've got four generations helping us to celebrate it (us, my wife's parents, our eldest son and his wife, and two grandchildren.) And this will be my only post today!

Congrats !! [Big Grin]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
многая лета!

([May God grant you] many years!)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Barnabees [Smile]

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very kind; thanks all. We had a lovely, lovely time.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of you may remember Tractor Girl, a shipmate who hasn't been sailing with us much recently for various reasons.

Anyway I was privileged to attend her marriage commitment ceremony today.

Glorious weather and in the great surroundings of Bletchley Park. A wonderful service. Wishing her and K all the best in their life together.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bletchley Park? That sounds top-secret it do! Was there code involved?

[Big Grin]

Met her at a Wightmeet some years ago. Give her my heartiest!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TG, if you're reading this, huge congratulations!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do remember Tractor Girl.

Hope you're reading, TG. Congratulations!

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations! [Axe murder]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Ditto !! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and from me, too.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for your kind wishes [Smile]

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(waves to Tractorgirl)

Congratulations!

LRP
Shipmate
# 5013

- Posted      Profile for LRP   Email LRP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, hope we meet up with you in the not too distant future.
Posts: 420 | From: Yorkshire lass, born and bred. | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We'll keep this live in case there are any other matches happening this year - or advance notice of ones for next year.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Intrepid Miss S and Future Son-in-Law will be married in our parish church in less than a month. When the vicar read the banns in our church for the first time, he got to 'you are to declare it now *pause* and probably explain yourself to Miss S's parents as well!' which got a round of laughter.

It's all been planned to a fare-the-well, so it's only the behaviour of some of the guests that might give cause for concern. That'll be my family, of course.

If anyone has any spare prayers, they'd be very welcome. Thanks guys [Overused]

The Nervous Mrs. S - anyone know how to make pew-end decorations?

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suitable ribbon, made into big floofy bows with long "tails" and secured with blu-tack.
And for the front 2 pews 3 arum lilies each side, with their heads pointing downwards, tied with big floofy bows etc...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I acted as verger for a couple of weddings at the Cathedral a couple of weeks ago, and the pew-end decorations were quite big pieces of white chiffony stuff tied in big bows (in one case, they were secured with diamanté circlets), and fastened over the pew-ends with long loops of elastic - they looked quite effective, and were easily removed afterwards.

eta: I'd be a bit wary of arum lilies - they're quite allergenic to some people and I understand they can drop sticky stuff that might be difficult to get rid of (especially from a polished floor).

[ 17. September 2013, 14:47: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks peeps - I have been to the flower wholesalers and bought pew-end-specific holders with oasis. I have two extra to practise on, and am going out tomorrow to buy suitably floofable ribbon (St. E, I LOVE that word!)

The Butterfingered Mrs. S [Eek!]

[ 17. September 2013, 20:49: Message edited by: The Intrepid Mrs S ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs S: unless the aisle of your church is very wide don't bother with flowers.

IME weddings are one occasion when most of the congregation will walk around in pairs and a narrow(ish) aisle means that pew-ends get knocked about.

The chiffon bows on elastic mentioned above sound good: for variety, you could tie a "sash" around where the bow is tied of contrasting colour to match that worn by bridesmaids...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well, I have a prototype using garden foliage and a single rose, plus a big bow of organza ribbon in ivory and a small bow of narrow satin ribbon in purple. The flower ladies advised me to stagger them, apart from the two pews at the front, first to make them go further and second to avoid crushing; also to use wired ribbon for the big bows so they can be floofed up, though that wasn't their phraseology [Smile]

Currently awaiting opinion from Miss S ...

The Apprehensive Mrs. S [Ultra confused]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I am going to be a bridesmaid next week. The bride was my bridesmaid almost 25 years ago!
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

I have an interesting decorative challenge, but I can't ask for advice here as the bride is an occasional lurker and knows my ship name.

[Two face]

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Well how very exciting, NEQ! What are you wearing?

Spent the morning dragging the Dowager Mrs S round the shops for an outfit - she has the makings of at least three different ones at home, but none are complete and none of them is exactly what she wants [Confused] Most of the time was spent bickering over whether something was black or navy [Killing me] and whether it would go with any of what she already had [Roll Eyes]

Needless to say we didn't actually BUY anything and the wedding is now less than 2=3 weeks away...

Mrs S, through gritted teeth

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

My dress is top secret! It's excellent; not too "bridesmaidy" I could potentially wear it again, in the unlikely event of my being invited to a posh black tie event.

The only drawback is that my daughter, 31 years younger and 5 stone lighter, is also a bridesmaid, wearing the same dress. [Eek!]

Daughter intends to wear hers again, at her school leavers' prom next year.

The organist who played at our wedding is playing at this one. [Smile]

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Intrepid Mrs S - My Mother in Law and I spent a happy day shopping in Sherbourne for a frock for her to wear to my wedding. She is only about 4' 8" tall and very petite, and we were finding it tricky to find anything. In the end we asked the advcie of the assistants in the nicest shop we'd been to and they came up with an ideal shift dress with bolero jacket in a pale grey colour. Maybe worth doing that with the Dowager.
NEQ - have fun as a bridesmaid. I always wanted to be one when I was little, but we have so few relations on either side of my family that it never happened.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I was never a bridesmaid when I was young. I was a bride at 24, and a bridesmaid at 26, 40, and now 49. I don't expect to be a bridesmaid again after this.

(Yes, yes, I know, technically a married bridesmaid is a Matron of Honour, but that sounds so....so...matronly. I might be fat and almost fifty, but I'm still just a young thing in my own head. I feel more "bridesmaid" than "matron of honour."

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine is being a bridesmaid today for the first time. She's just past 50. There's always time!
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks Gussie - we may hit Wilton on Monday as I drive the Dowager home.

NEQ - we need photos afterwards, if it's a secret now, y'hear? I was a bridesmaid once at about 8, for some friends of my parents. As they had 3 nieces and I was the same age as the middle one, we made a neat pattern for the photos. I was forever grateful as my aunts were both married and I never expected to get a chance to be a bridesmaid! [Overused]

Mrs. S, who still has the circlet of flowers somewhere ...

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Apologies for the double post, but I forgot to say that my friends, who have known Miss S since she was maybe 8 years old, have always promised her that they would be her bridesmaids - four of them in Tellytubby costumes [Killing me]

Poor child still isn't entirely sure they won't turn up in costume ...

Mrs. S, snickering hound ...

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the subject of bridesmaid's costumes, see this old Caption Competition .

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks to a kind shipmate's suggestion, The Dowager and I tracked down a very lovely outfit for her today - not so formal that she'll never wear it again, in fact capable of many variations in the future *mops brow*

Just need to make sure she wears the Killer Hat she found in her wardrobe, rather than a safer but far less glamorous one. Not bad for 89, I say!

Not sure who is most pleased - The Dowager or The Daughter, or indeed the Granddaughter whose wedding this is [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, much relieved

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016