homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Obsculta - the Benedictine thread redux

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Obsculta - the Benedictine thread redux
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fraternal (& sororal [Confused] ) greetings to all fellow sons and daughters of our Holy Father Benedict on his feast day.

Here, we will celebrate with an 11am mass, standing room only, followed by a hefty buffet lunch with a hemina or two.

Anyone else celebrating OHF today?

Q. OblSB

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy feast day!

I am celebrating, though not with the house I will be joining as most of them are away for the EBC General Chapter.

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy feast!

I'm not an oblate, but very definitely a Benedictine sympathiser, and I'll be presiding at a eucharist for the feast this afternoon.

(One reason I've never become an oblate is because Anglican Benedictines in England seem to prefer the sunnier south to the grey north: I think my nearest community is about 120 miles away, though that's a fair bit nearer than they used to be. Come on, guys - put your best winter habits on and at least come north of Birmingham!)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Redux redux

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

Many of Benedict's sons and daughters re-start their daily reading of the Rule on 1st September. The Benedictine-curious may like to join Digitalnun and her community as they read aloud here.

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's interesting, thank you. Maybe it's the prompt I need to get a bit more disciplined about my Benedictine inclinations.

I have listened to today's reading. So I am up to date, not trying to play catch up which always defeats me.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for that link Qoheleth. Part of my own pattern of life is to read the set portion of the Rule every day; hearing it read out loud is a welcome bonus.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

I can't say more about Alton abbot retires amidst uncertainty but please pray for the Community and wider Fraternity as we meet tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks
Q.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Qoheleth, can you tell us any more about the uncertainty and the outcome - the website is either lacking such news or, more likely, it is there right under my nose and I can't see it!

When I stayed there nearly 40 years ago I'm sure it was the Order of St Paul.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016