homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Memory Eternal, Sir John Tavener

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Memory Eternal, Sir John Tavener
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although I will admit I am not a huge fan of his music, I am saddened to hear of the passing of Sir John Tavener, British composer of sacred music, and fellow Orthodox Christian. May his soul reside with the blessed.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We used his Kontakion at our All Souls celebration - though I have only come to his music lately, I have very much appreciated it.

Rest in peace, Sir John, and may you hear the choir of angels before the eternal throne. [Votive]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the opportunity to hear him interviewed as Stanford University some time ago.

After hearing him speak dismissively about "Bach blazing along in D major", I don't think I'll ever hear one of those DMaj blazes in quite the same way again.

He'll be missed. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been lucky enough to sing in performances of Angels and Song for Athene - wonderful, haunting music.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sad, a great talent.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By odd coincidence, we sang his funeral Ikos for All Souls this year, just a week ago.
Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Very sad, a great talent.

Definitely a great talent. Certainly a significant composer in the 'classical' field, although I wouldn't claim to know his music really well.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I happened to be at the first performance of a piece written by Tavener for the dedication of a new baptismal fresco in Rochester Cathedral. It was sung by the choir at (IIRC) a weekday Evensong just before the dedication service, by way of a rehearsal.

I don't think I've ever heard such a profound and spiritual piece of music. The silence at the end was palpable, and it was quite a while before the officiating minister found the words with which to continue the service! For me, this was one of those rare encounters with the Divine that now and then fall to some of us humble mortals......

....may he rest in peace, and rise in glory.

[Votive] [Angel] [Angel] [Angel] [Votive]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Such sad news. I heard him on Radio4 only on Monday, in a discussion that touched on art and spirituality. He was, as always, intelligent, eloquent and entertaining. I've had the first main theme from The Protecting Veil in my head all day - one of the best earworms you could wish for.

Rest in peace, Sir John, and rise to the glory your music so often proclaimed.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
After hearing him speak dismissively about "Bach blazing along in D major", I don't think I'll ever hear one of those DMaj blazes in quite the same way again.

So what's wrong with D major?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love his music.

And I met him a couple of years ago. At Greenbelt. Got to have a quick chat and everything. Am still in awe over that.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016