homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Welcome Aboard 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Welcome Aboard 2013
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On behalf of the All Saints' hosts and the rest of the Ship, we welcome you aboard! This is the place to make your presence known, so that we may offer our greetings and advice to all our new members.

We ask that you make yourself familiar with our version of the "10 Commandments", which are the basic guidelines that you agreed to follow when you registered. You may also want to check the FAQ's for more useful information.

Remember, each area of the Ship has its own rules and regulations, which you will find hyperlinked at the top of each board. They range from Heaven to Hell (literally!), and you'll want to familiarize yourself with them, especially here at the beginning of your "tour of duty".

Once again, welcome to the Ship. We wish you smooth sailing!

Campbellite, Firenze and Welease Woderwick
All Saints Hosts

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very long-time lurker, finally plucked up courage to register. Won't be saying much (not my style), but I have learned so much from the Ship over the years that I think I might be able to make the odd contribution.

Stuart

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have more than thou showest,
Speak less than thou knowest,

Always a good tactic. But I hope you'll feel inspired to join in some time. Welcome, anyways.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi everyone and a happy new year! I haven't been posting very much lately, but I haven't deserted - nor been given shore-leave (after a somewhat shaky start here, I think I know the ropes a little better now!)

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year from the west coast of Canada
Here's to a great year Paul [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Purple Butterfly
Apprentice
# 17477

- Posted      Profile for Purple Butterfly   Email Purple Butterfly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thought it was time I said hello after being a long-time lurker. Can't guarantee that I'll be a big noise in discussions, but open a topic close to my heart and you may have to hold me back.
Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the Ship Purple Butterfly - what a lovely name! Enjoy the voyage.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Purple Butterfly
Apprentice
# 17477

- Posted      Profile for Purple Butterfly   Email Purple Butterfly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Welcome to the Ship Purple Butterfly - what a lovely name! Enjoy the voyage.

[Smile]

Thank you [Smile]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Purple butterfly and welcome aboard on behalf on the All Saints Hosting Team.

If you haven't already done so please have a look at the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs, both linked at the top of every page. It is also worth having a look at the different function and ethos of the various separate boards.

Most of all I hope you enjoy the voyage with us.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Long time no post so it is hello from me!

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy Cow! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TeaAddict
Apprentice
# 14946

- Posted      Profile for TeaAddict   Email TeaAddict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another long time lurker...had a snow day today so I thought I might pollute your boards with my thoughts. [Smile]

--------------------
In the interests of safety, please turn off common sense now.

Posts: 16 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's good to see you, The Midge and TeaAddict.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TeaAddict:
Another long time lurker...had a snow day today so I thought I might pollute your boards with my thoughts. [Smile]

Hey hey - welcome! You will find plent of other tea addicts here.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome TeaAddict. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Originally posted by OraLabora:

quote:
Hello everyone! I've been checking out Ship of Fools for years, so I finally signed up.

Bit about myself...

Priest in NJ. Studied organ at Manhattan School of Music and Montclair.

Any NJ/NY'ers?

Frank

Welcome Frank/OraLabora, on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team it is good to have you aboard.

Please read my little spiel upthread about the 10 Commandments, etc. and, whatever you do, enjoy the cruise on our little craft.

WW
All Saints Host.

[ 24. January 2013, 14:16: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

liberte
Apprentice
# 17538

- Posted      Profile for liberte   Email liberte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi everyone! I am a student who is about to graduate soon.

My Christian identity is deceptive. Externally, I belong to a conservative Evangelical (leaning on Fundamentalism) Baptist church. Don't really like what they teach but still putting up with it. Deep down, I identify with what "old time Protestantism" stand for - that is, the Evangelical doctrines (e.g. sola fide), and the importance of the Sacraments in Christian faith/living. I am therefore seriously considering a switch to confessional Lutheranism.

P.S. I just realized I put my first thread discussing the Anglican Church in the wrong section. Could any moderator help me move it to the right forum? Thank you!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi liberte, I have moved your thread about Anglicanism to the Ecclesiantics board, where it is more likely to get a response.

Welcome to the Ship, on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team.

If you've not already done so please check out the Ship' version of the Ten Commandments and the FAQs, both linked at the top of every page. It is also helpful to check out the function and ethos of each of the separate boards.

I hope you enjoy your trip with us.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

Arpeggi
Apprentice
# 17487

- Posted      Profile for Arpeggi   Email Arpeggi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey everyone!

I've been lurking here for a whiles and finally decide to make an account. I'm a 24 year old math teacher living in NYC. Raised Roman Catholic, but an atheist since I was 13. I tend toward new atheism but have a strange fascination with traditional Catholicism, and Anglo-Catholicism in particular. Im probably just as likely to frequent Ecclesiantics as I am to be an atheist contrarian elsewhere. Nice to meet you all.

Posts: 7 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Arpeggi, from another New York City resident! There aren't an awful lot of us here so it's good to see another one.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Arpeggi and welcome on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team. I hope you enjoy your journey across the oceans of faith or non-faith.

Please check out the 10 Commandments and FAQs, etc. as I recommend to all new joiners.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Arpeggi.

Hope you enjoy your time here. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Tallis Acres
Apprentice
# 17553

- Posted      Profile for Tallis Acres     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahoy there!

Long time lurker and avid reader of both the forums and Secret Worshipper.

Thanks for the approval!

--------------------
thank you St Jude for favours granted

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi there Tallis Acres and welcome aboard on behalf of the All Saints hosting Team.

Please read the enjoinments made above and join in and have fun.

WW
All Saints Host.

[my spelling is getting worse!]

[ 13. February 2013, 13:35: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I joined last month after lurking for years, but have only just discovered this thread. So this is just to say hello!

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
ThursdayNext
Apprentice
# 17573

- Posted      Profile for ThursdayNext   Email ThursdayNext   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another lurker delurking here. I'm not sure how much I'll have to contribute but I'm sure I'll find a discussion to join here soon.
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ThursdayNext:
Another lurker delurking here. I'm not sure how much I'll have to contribute but I'm sure I'll find a discussion to join here soon.

A Fforde ffan by any chance? You'll ffit in just ffine!

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome hanginginthere and ThursdayNext.

If you've been lurking, you probably have the hang of the place. But any questions, just apply to the Hosts.

Enjoy the voyage.

Firenze
All Saints Host

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
quote:
Originally posted by ThursdayNext:

A Fforde ffan by any chance? You'll ffit in just ffine!
Ffantastic name.

One of the ffunniest things I've read that Richard 3rd performance in the ffirst of the Thursday Next novels [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi,

I heard the forum mentioned a few times and came to have a look out of curiosity. I saw some interesting topics (good to see people discussing liturgy too) and decided to join. I'm an ex-traditionalist RC (FSSP, SSPX) who is now on his way, albeit slowly, to Byzantium, in other words, Orthodoxy. I look foward to some interesting discussions.

God bless.

Ad Orientem.

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi there Ad Orientem and welcome aboard on behalf of the All Saints hosting Team.

Please read the enjoinments made above and join in and have fun.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Ebbtide
Apprentice
# 17519

- Posted      Profile for Ebbtide   Email Ebbtide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello! I signed up a few weeks ago and thought it time I posted something. I am an altar server in my (Scottish Episcopal) church and tend to be a bit of an armchair theologian.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Armchair theologian. Totally stealing that phrase. Love it. [Biased]

Bit like back seat driver theologian?

Welcome Ebbtide!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Welcome Ebbtide on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Ebbtide, I'm guessing you have some form of links with Scotland. Come and say hello to us over on the Scottish thread I promise we are all friendly.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, Ebbtide!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi! I stumbled on this Forum the other day whilst googling a question about changes in the direction of British churches compared to the 1980s, when as a young man I worshipped at a wide range of churches in a few years.

The range of topics being discussed intrigued me, so it seemed logical to join.

Prior to the 1980s I'd spent times in and out of church, but realised the impossibility of theological fence-sitting when practical decisions need to be made, and made a deeper commitment. Since then I've been unadventurous, and remained in a mainstream church with good Bible-based teaching.

Hopefully it'll be interesting to hear a wider range of views here on a range of topics.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh - forgot to mention - why the name OddJob? Nothing to do with James Bond's implausible battles, but it's the sort of task I perform at our church.
Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Welcome OddJob aboard our little narrow boat on the canals of faith.

Please check through the 10 Commandments, etc as enjoined in the initial post of this thread.

I hope you enjoy the cruise.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been a lurker for a while, but don't like to be thought of as such so I have stepped on board.

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Welcome Clotilde, glad you've come up the gangplank.

Check out the 10 Commandments and Board descriptions and happy sailing.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Clotilde:
Been a lurker for a while, but don't like to be thought of as such so I have stepped on board.

Welcome Clotilde. Hope you have fun here. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Come aboard, Clotilde! Have fun, but tread softly in Hades and Purg...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Welcome aboard Clotilde ~ I hope you enjoy the journey!

[Smile]

loggats
Shipmate
# 17643

- Posted      Profile for loggats   Email loggats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello. I've been aware of this place for a while, but never thought to visit. I lurked for a bit yesterday, enjoyed what I read (and learned quite a bit) and I've decided to join in.

I am a theology student in my final year of undergraduate study, and anything that motivates me to finish my dissertation (while reminding me why I chose to study theology in the first place) is more than welcome!

--------------------
"He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi loggats and, on behalf of the Crew, welcome aboard!

If you read the first post in this thread and abide by its recommendations then you won't go far wrong - but most of all enjoy the journey.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by loggats:
Hello. I've been aware of this place for a while, but never thought to visit. I lurked for a bit yesterday, enjoyed what I read (and learned quite a bit) and I've decided to join in.

I am a theology student in my final year of undergraduate study, and anything that motivates me to finish my dissertation (while reminding me why I chose to study theology in the first place) is more than welcome!

Welcome loggats! I'm a final year theology student too. [Smile]

I've learnt heaps of theology on board that has been really helpful.

Hope you enjoy the ride and the dissertation gets finished. [Big Grin]

[edited to note that post was from a week ago so yer probably long gone from the thread now. Sorry! ]

[ 21. April 2013, 13:58: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Longshanks
Apprentice
# 16259

- Posted      Profile for Longshanks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure if this is working, amazing how different two UBB implementations can be.
Anyway I have been dragged in to posting from occasional lurking, by a discussion of Doctors past here from my childhood. Which gives you an idea of where and when I come from.
I am a longstanding non-conformist hoping to understand a bit more about what I have grown up with, without understanding totally. And hoping to remedy that (if possible here).

[ 24. April 2013, 20:44: Message edited by: Longshanks ]

Posts: 8 | From: Great Wen | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems to have worked just fine, Longshanks! I find that familiarity with the Doctor helps considerably in the conversations around these parts:

"Jesus is both fully God and fully human? How does that work?"

"He's bigger on the inside."

"Oh, yeah. That makes sense."

[Big Grin]

I know I welcomed you already on the Who thread, but welcome again!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Welcome Longshanks - I see you have already been welcomed by my learned colleague Firenze but welcome from me, too.

If you haven't already read the 10 Commandments and the FAQs [linked at the top of every page] it will really pay you to have a zoom through them now.

Have fun.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016