homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Welcome Aboard 2013 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Welcome Aboard 2013
John T
Apprentice
# 17166

- Posted      Profile for John T   Email John T   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Firenze; I'll need the notebook as my screen is covered in Tippex.
Posts: 6 | From: Rochdale Greater Manchester | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Beardybard
Apprentice
# 17737

- Posted      Profile for Beardybard   Email Beardybard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good Day to All,

I'm joining the forum as someone who has practised Christianity as a teenager, kept the faith throughout most of my college career and now looks for continiuous inspiration through a healthy discussion. Here to engage in talks and brain-pickings!

Posts: 6 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome beardybard.

The selection of picked brains here is second to none. Also nits, but that's another story.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I read that first as pickled brains and was a tad concerned

[Paranoid]

So read it again and you can all carry on now.

Welcome from me too Beardybard.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
DouglasTheOtter

Ship's aquatic mammal
# 17681

- Posted      Profile for DouglasTheOtter   Author's homepage   Email DouglasTheOtter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm also a relative newbie and I'd like to thank the admins for setting this place up and keeping it going.

In a former incarnation, I posted on another talkboard up to having a breakdown and part of the recovery from that seems to have involved people on that board suddenly finding me insufferable. As to why, I don't know, but I had the distinct impression that people were arguing with the poster and not the post.

So I'll see it goes here and I'm sure that the shipmates will tell me if they think I'm being a pain...

--------------------
Need writing or copywriting? Visit me at...

www.rjpmedia.net

Posts: 171 | From: Twickenham | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome DouglasTheOtter (and others)

One of our features that often leads to newcomers asking "I thought this was a Christian website?" is our Hell board.

That is the only place where attacks on the poster, rather than the contents of the post, are permitted. If anyone does so elsewhere then the hosts of that board will correct them. If they carry on, it goes up to the Admins for further action. Whatever is done should always be done clearly.

The effect of this is that all the other boards ought to be pretty safe places for you, so long as you follow the guidelines and our Ten Commandments (which differ from the originals somewhat). Hell OTOH, will probably live up to its name.

Sioni Sais
Hell host

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi DouglasTheOtter and Welcome! on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team. It is good to have you here.

As I know only too well breakdowns are no fun but the Ship hasn't induced another in me - YET!

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome all! Look forward to seeing you lot on the boards or maybe in the Ship's chat room.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey hey DouglasTheOtter, welcome!

I hope you really enjoy the voyage.

I migrated from another board in 2008 and have visited here every day since [Big Grin] No-one has thrown me out yet!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, I've been reading off and on for years but finally signed up a few months back.

I like the range of discussions here and the liveliness and humour. Thanks.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just saying hi because I find your user name vaguely intriguing. [Big Grin] Thanks for de-lurking.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi not entirely me and welcome aboard on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team - it is good to have you here.

Having been around a while I am sure you are familiar with the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs but if not they are linked at the top of every page.

Settle in and have fun, we look forward to hearing from you.

WW
AS Host

--------------------

not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the welcome!

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Just saying hi because I find your user name vaguely intriguing. [Big Grin] Thanks for de-lurking.

My username basically came from how annoying it is when people make assumptions based on a few musings i.e. whatever I write/say is not a complete picture of who I am but part of something more complex. & it's a reminder that I need to view others' posts in the same way.
I am naturally a pretty open and honest person so I think my username sometimes confuses people. But it's my interest in having a true reflection of things that originally prompted me to use the name elsewhere on the internet back when I was an angst-ridden teenager. I even once got a comment posted on Mega-zine on Teletext under the name!

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent. That totally makes sense.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
iaino
Apprentice
# 17774

- Posted      Profile for iaino   Email iaino   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello,
Just registered and will hopefully post soon.

Posts: 1 | From: southampton | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Welcome iaino to the cutest little craft on the interwebby thing.

If you haven't done so already please check out the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments along with the FAQs, both linked at the top of every page.

We look forward to hearing from you - don't be nervous, just leap in and post!

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Afternoon,

after 5 years of daily lurking I've finally decided to post, largely to get myself into a slightly better and more varied discussion than my usual haunts of Thinking Anglicans and Ed Tomlinson's blog (can you use another trad Anglo Catholic around the place?). Reassuringly (for you), I don't intend to spend much time on Dead Horses - it's all been said before...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi betjemaniac and welcome, which seems an odd thing to say when you have been around so long!

Presumably by now you know all the formal stuff about the 10 Cs, etc. so I shall just wish you well and hope you enjoy the cruise.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Happy Pebble
Shipmate
# 2731

- Posted      Profile for Happy Pebble   Email Happy Pebble   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Uh oh! This is my first post in six years. Hope all has been well in the interim.

--------------------
Creamy Wibbibs. Mr. Habib, you're the evils of Darkon!

Posts: 62 | From: Kingdom of Deseret | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
A Sojourner
Apprentice
# 17776

- Posted      Profile for A Sojourner     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Probably should say hello here... I'm new to the board (obviously), I'm a Christian (good start) but what denomination I'm not sure about just now, I would be best described as Charasmatic with growing Anglican tendencies...

Which is a bit of a problem if you are Scottish! [Hot and Hormonal]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Welcome back Happy Pebble and welcome to A Sojourner - good to see you here.

Don't forget to give the Ship's 10 Commandments and the FAQs a more than cursory glance, it really is worth it.

Settle in, post and have fun.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Afternoon ...

That is a fantastic name. Welcome aboard.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eudoxia
Apprentice
# 17251

- Posted      Profile for Eudoxia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi there,

I registered on the Ship many moons ago, but my hopes of active participation on this esteemed vessel were swiftly dashed by the deadly cocktail of the discernment process in the Church of England, full-time studies at university and a job. In the end, the mix relentlessly ate up every single spare moment I had and all I could do was lurk.

I have always appreciated the quality of the discussion here (can be quite intimidating at times!). In fact, merely lurking on the Ship helped me process my own thoughts on a vast array of issues as I journeyed through the discernment process, with all its joys and sorrows.

Now that I am preparing to become raw material for one of the vicar factories in September, I would love to be able to join these boards "properly".

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Eudoxia and welcome on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team. It is good to know that the Ship has already been helpful.

Please take note of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs - then dive in and have fun!

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

peteV
Apprentice
# 17791

- Posted      Profile for peteV     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi guys. Have some past experience of this place, but never really got involved - looking forward to it. My main interests include theological approaches to sexuality and gender, but I'm more than happy to natter on about most anything!

--------------------
Qui me amat, amat et canem meam.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi peteV and welcome to the Ship on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team.

I'm sure you've already done it but please make sure you are familiar with the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs, etc.

Theological approaches to sexuality and gender I think we can probably accommodate - and anything as well. Have fun!

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post 
Hi all

I am another long-time lurker who recently decided to come out of hiding and join the fun. I was a little surprised to find heated discussions in progress about inheritance tax and client complaints about professionals - I did wonder the was some cyber mix-up with the Trusts Discussion Forum!

Theologically I tend towards the liberal / agnostic end of the Anglican spectrum but liturgically I am a high church traditionalist. And I am a bit of a train-spotter when it comes to hymns, as my log-in name might suggest!

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello Gwalchmai, and welcome aboard! You're my first welcome in my new role as a host in All Saints, and I hope you'll enjoy the voyage.

I'm a bit of a hymn anorak too (I'm married to a cathedral organist), so you're in good company.

Good tune, by the way. [Big Grin]

Piglet, AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Seabird:
I been reading Ship of Fools for years and I've just had a sudden outbreak of courage and registered, if I have another one I might join a discussion. I'm dyslexic so may get the wrong word sometime, spell check (the best invention ever) will stop what I wright being totally unintelligible.

Hi Seabird and welcome aboard, it is good to have you here. It is always nice to welcome people who already know this little variation on the Gosport Ferry. I hope you feel able to relax, join in and have fun - it helps if you acquaint yourself with the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments, the FAQs, etc.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Seabird, I'm dyslexic too - but, as I rarely spot my own mistakes, I won't notice yours either.

(And I'm a school teacher)

[Smile]

SaharanPenguine
Apprentice
# 17824

- Posted      Profile for SaharanPenguine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am new here [Smile] I'm from Australia. I have a friend IRL who occasionally posts here (hello!). Looking forward to some rigorous discussions on the role of gender, the future of marriage, how people of faith should approach the disheartening condition of assylum seekers, and whether or not historians qua historians and philosophers qua philosphers can determine a miracle is likely to have occurred (I think not, but happy to hear otherwise). But for the moment, I'll just say a very merry HELLO [Big Grin] and it's nice to be on board.
Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a great name.

Welcome to another poster from New Zealand's largest off-shore island [Razz] You might like to toddle over to the NZ/Australia thread to meet some more of us.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome SaharanPenguine.

We have Boards to suit all tastes here. Hopefully you'll find both space to discuss - and be amused, or just relax.

Board descriptions in the rubric of their home page: rules of engagement under 10 Commandments.

Firenze
All Saints Host

SaharanPenguine
Apprentice
# 17824

- Posted      Profile for SaharanPenguine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
What a great name.

Welcome to another poster from New Zealand's largest off-shore island [Razz] You might like to toddle over to the NZ/Australia thread to meet some more of us.

Huia

Thanks for the welcome. I shall wonder over and say hi to the Aussies and wanna be aussies [Smile] .
Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What does TICTH stand for?

There are threads in both Heaven and Hell, yet neither seems to have an explanation for what it stands for. I can also find no references to it in wider searches (by which, I mean, 2 minutes each on Urban Dictionary, the Acronym Finder and Google).

Is it part of some long-running in-joke?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Today I Consign To Heaven (or Hell).

A hardy perennial. Originally the phrase was spelt out in full, but after many iterations, it's been shortened.

The threads are, untypically, not intended for discussion, but just as a place to post either something Really Nice or vent at some annoyance/idiocy/injustice.

Firenze
AS Host

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I consign to Hell (TICTH) is a Shiply acronym... when Hell was closed for repairs a few weeks back, the Heaven one opened. So positive, it makes me ill. [Devil]

Hell was there first! And foremost! Go to Hell for the real thing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nissarte
Apprentice
# 17822

- Posted      Profile for Nissarte   Author's homepage   Email Nissarte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greetings to all.
Another newbug, having just de-lurked, drawn by the quality of debate here - and the laughs (especially the laughs, which are much-needed. Oh, and the odd prayer would be very welcome).
Struggling Anglican, high church worship preferences combined with liberal inclinations; trying to feel at home, and finding it near-impossible (in this, as in other matters).
Les Minimes

--------------------
[[http://minniebeaniste.wordpress.com] Les Minimes]
'Finde God pleased with thee, and thou hast a hook in the nostrils of every Leviathan.' John Donne, Sermons, 85: 'God's Anger'.

Posts: 3 | From: Home of the Perfidious | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Welcome Nissarte.

Hopefully, your lurking will have given you the geography of the place (debates over there, laughs over here.)

Enjoy both.

Btw - as a service to the Hosts, perhaps you could move the blog link into your sig? (You can have up to 4 lines of sig). If a link appears in a post, we have to keep checking it.

Firenze
All Saints Host

[ 18. September 2013, 10:44: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Nissarte
Apprentice
# 17822

- Posted      Profile for Nissarte   Author's homepage   Email Nissarte   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze, thanks for the 'welcome'. Apologies for the mis-placed link. I haven't been able to work out how to move it. I will try to delete it; if that fails, then I'll have the whole thing deleted.
And, yes, I am capable of distinguishing between light-hearted threads and serious discussions.

--------------------
[[http://minniebeaniste.wordpress.com] Les Minimes]
'Finde God pleased with thee, and thou hast a hook in the nostrils of every Leviathan.' John Donne, Sermons, 85: 'God's Anger'.

Posts: 3 | From: Home of the Perfidious | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Just checked it out: you do it thusly -

SQUAREBRACKETurl=http://whatever.com] text [/url]

Where SQUAREBRACKET = [ obviously - but if I put that it doesn't display the code.

Matthaios
Apprentice
# 17828

- Posted      Profile for Matthaios   Email Matthaios   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello [Smile]

Newbie here, after lurking for a few weeks. I'm homegrown CofE-type person who discovered one day that what was going on might be of some sort of significance. I am still recovering. I'm not very good or happy with theological labels, but at a push I might attach to my person such words as "liberal" or "progressive" or (on the right day, in the right company) "Christian". On very rare occasions I might even be orthodox, if no one is looking...

Matthaios

--------------------
In this desert of language we find ourselves in,
with the sign-post with the word 'God' worn away
and the distance?
(R.S. Thomas)

Posts: 7 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello Matthaios, and welcome aboard! If you've been lurking for a wee while, you're probably already finding your way around. Take a quick look at the 10 Commandments for guidance on what's OK and what's not, and enjoy the voyage!

Piglet, All Saints Host

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Urfshyne
Shipmate
# 17834

- Posted      Profile for Urfshyne   Email Urfshyne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having lurked for a few years I have finally decided to come out into the open and take part.

Many thanks to all contributors and facilitators, my eyes have been opened and my mind stimulated by all that I have read (Sometimes a little too much...).

Posts: 98 | From: Maidenhead - lost | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Welcome aboard, Urfshyne - as I said to Matthaios in the post above yours, if you've been lurking you probably know the ropes - if not, please peruse the 10 Commandments just to make sure, and I hope you have a happy voyage!

Piglet, AS Host

--------------------

VDMA
Apprentice
# 17846

- Posted      Profile for VDMA   Email VDMA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello everyone... [Big Grin]

Peace of Christ to all hearts on this board...

I have been to the Ship a few times in the last 3 years since converting to Christianity from cradle-atheism. It has never captured my attention too much, but in the last few days I was browsing "Glory", and saw the tenderhearted warmth for the dearly beloved departed. It immediately got me to join... now I am just a young recruit aboard this crazy (Fellow-)Ship. [Smile]

As for my faith: I was baptized Catholic in 2011, and now considering Lutheranism.

[ 28. September 2013, 19:39: Message edited by: VDMA ]

--------------------
Des Christen Herz auf Rosen geht, wenn's mitten unterm Kreuze steht.

Feel free to visit the Anglican Forums: http://forums.anglican.net/

Posts: 29 | From: Canada | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi VDMA and welcome aboard on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team.

If you haven't already done so you might find it useful to check out the Ship's version of the Ten Commandments - you agreed to be bound by them when you joined up so it's worth checking the fine print. You may also find the FAQs helpful and the intros to the various separate boards.

Enjoy your time with us.

WW
AS Host

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Welcome to the Ship VDMA, enjoy the voyage. The lifeboats are Here, here and here.

[Angel]

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all,

Finally got around to registering after being a (very) occasional lurker over the years.

Glad to be aboard and learning to find my sea legs.

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Hello, Jammy Dodger, and welcome aboard! [Smile]

In lieu of that annoying passenger-safety announcement you get on ordinary ships, please take a look at the 10 Commandments and FAQ links at the top of the page, and I hope you have a great voyage!

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016