homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The USA thread (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The USA thread
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]

A bunch of the boys were whooping it up at the Malamute Saloon...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile] The sun has returned. [Overused] [Axe murder] Now I can understand those who once worshiped the sun. Graven puts away her 4 layers of assorted underwear, turns off the heat, and opens all the windows.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you opened the windows here, you'd have snow drifts up to .....here. All I can think of are the beautiful words, "snow had fallen snow on snow; snow on snow" Pennsylvania snow, that is. My boss wasn't too happy that I cancelled a choir rehearsal for this afternoon. I was SO tempted to tell him "Stick it, Sir". God will provide.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow here in NYC. I am warm and cozy inside after a long cold trip home from work. Made myself a cup of hot chocolate with dark rum. Mmmmm.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmm ... hot chocolate. What a splendid idea!

Not with rum though - I really don't like it. I wonder if Drambuie would work?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were supposed to have freezing rain, but it was mostly just rain.

I'm not complaining.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
(I'm wondering how many times we can get Mama to post that... [Biased] )

Goddam phone. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just got back from a delightful Christmas pageant.

There are two churches within a block of my Episcopal church. One is A.M.E. and the other is Church of God. The three churches had a joint Christmas pageant that moved from church to church. It began at the A.M.E. church with the story of the Annunciation and the story of Gabriel appearing to Joseph in a dream and telling him that the child Mary was carrying was conceived by the Holy Spirit.

Mary, Joseph, and Gabriel were played by members of this church. Then we went to the Church of God, where the story of Mary's visit to Elizabeth was read. Elizabeth was played by a member of this church.

Then we came to my church. By this time all the principal roles had been taken, so we supplied lots of shepherds, a few sheep, and a few angels. (Both the other churches had supplied angels also. The different halo designs were interesting.) The one innovation at my church was a few toddlers playing the part of sheep. They were young enough to require guidance from the slightly-older shepherds. I enjoyed that.

At each church we sang hymns chosen by that church, and at the A.M.E. church there were dancers.

I enjoyed the whole thing very much.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
... a few toddlers playing the part of sheep ... were young enough to require guidance from the slightly-older shepherds ...

Isn't that exactly what shepherds are for? [Killing me]

The whole thing sounds delightful. I can't see it working here though. There are two other churches (one United, one Presbyterian) within easy walking distance of the Cathedral, but I can't see Mary, Joseph and the rest negotiating the 3-foot snow-banks in their costumes ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chasee#1 played Mary many years ago.

When the angel Gabriel appeared to her, she whacked him with he broom she was holding.

I can't help thinking if the first Mary had taken such action, it could have changed a lot of history... [Biased]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Except that the broom would probably have gone right through him, angels having no corporeal form.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

When the angel Gabriel appeared to her, she whacked him with he broom she was holding.

I can't help thinking if the first Mary had taken such action, it could have changed a lot of history... [Biased]

Reminds me of that scene in Dogma where Bethany turns the fire extinguisher on Metatron, the seraph, when he shows up in her bedroom. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Revenge is sweet, even if it takes 65 years.
Back in the dark ages when I was in grade school and they still had Christmas plays with Mary, Joseph and a cast of angels the rule seemed to be that if you were female and wanted a part on stage you had to have long blonde hair. So from 1st grade thought 6th my small reddish haired self raised her hand and hoped each year to be chosen for a part . No chance for Mary I had bangs and a bob but surely they could fit me in as an angel. Alas it was not to be. This year I am making a choir of fancy paper angels for my Christmas tree and every single one of those heavenly beings in either a brunette or a red head. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Yipee] for brunette angels!

Now I think about it, I may have been Gabriel in a nativity play at school, but only in my own class - not the Big One Attended By Mummies And Daddies. IIRC at my first school Christmas I had to sing a verse of The First Nowell as a duet with somebody, which felt quite important. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

Reminds me of that scene in Dogma where Bethany turns the fire extinguisher on Metatron, the seraph, when he shows up in her bedroom. [Snigger]
In the Koran, Mary basically calls Gabriel a skeevy creep and runs away from him. He has to chase her down to deliver his news.

[ 23. December 2013, 05:47: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Hey, pedants! I heard Louise Erdrich on NPR today soberly discussing "The Dissolution of Smaug."

She did pronounce Smaug perfectly. [Big Grin]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
my son the other night called it The Dissertation of Smaug which could be an interesting movie, though perhaps with less action.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes we had the Sunday School Pageant yesterday evening. The only run through occurred 1 hour before "curtain time". One little boy discovered that if he blew into the microphone, or loudly mooed, he could drown out anything else being said. I had a 'score' to play from, but it wasn't a lot of help. Madame Director called for stopping The Organ Music many times, as the widdle actors were in place after about 4 seconds. Parents were popping flash pics constantly.

So, I can't really say it was a Good Thing. The wound is too fresh. I had a very strong Egg Nog soon as I got home. Peace be with you all.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now I'm trying to figure out how we could get some of those really cool angels with the wheels and eyes all over into a nativity play. You know, the ones in Ezekiel? Pity Gabriel is an archangel, I think they're more ordinary looking.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
my son the other night called it The Dissertation of Smaug which could be an interesting movie, though perhaps with less action.

It would explain his general pissiness.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have my Christmas lasagnas in the fridge ready to bake tomorrow. (A potentially new tradition. Maybe!) My son and his family are planning to be here noon-ish. Unfortunately, D-U and her hubby both have to w*rk tomorrow. [Frown]

My parents are coming over, but not staying to eat. They're too tired to stay long. [Frown]

My bestest friends are coming for dinner, though! And my Granddaughter is coming and will stay with me for a few days!! That will make for a very Merry Christmas!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wishing all my US friends and acquaintances a peaceful and joyous Christmas.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Merry Christmas to all my southerly neighbours from a v. snowy Newfoundland. [Smile]

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Merry Christmas to all, and God bless us every one....

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

snowed in, overstuffed, surrounded by loot, kid's noses buried in books when they should be asleep, hot tea, buttflap jammies, new book myself after a delicious hot bath.

yes, all is right with the world.

Happy Christmas, everyone.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

Ho-Ho-Ho Merry Christmas
It was 70F Sunday, youngsters out in shorts, T-shirts and flip-flops. We were on the southern edge of the snow & ice storm. It got very cold very fast.
Ive been without hot water since this past Sunday. Finally getting the new water heater tomorrow. I certainly will enjoy a nice hot shower. No doubt anyone closeby will be pleased, too. Haha

--------------------
Oinkster

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just got off the phone with my husband and had to share this. Hubby drives a commercial truck for a living. He's been doing this for 20+ years and has more than 2 million miles under his belt. Today, the company he curremtly drives for had their weekly safety meeting. The drivers all had to sign a piece of paper stating that they had been properly trained on how to use their seat belts [Roll Eyes] . Because, somewhere in the big company he works for, some driver couldn't figure out how to buckle or unbuckle his belt and got hurt... FWIW, this is the same company that trained drivers that the proper way to get in the truck was to start by opening the door [Killing me]

Corporate wonks...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

I hope they get proper training on how to put the key in door lock!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
... trained drivers that the proper way to get in the truck was to start by opening the door ...

Does the firm expect them to have passed their driving tests?

[Eek!]

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Mr Image and I were married 47 years ago today. [Yipee] is all I can say. [Smile]
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

beautiful! congratulations to the Images!

Christmas Bird Count today - the drive to our area was terrifying. I dropped my mom off and went to go to the other end of the trail to come down and meet her, and damn near didnt make it back up the road. came home to get warmer boots, got stuck in driveway. now she calls and says conditions are nasty and I have to go back to the trail head to get her. turning my mother back from a bird count is a Big Deal™. Here's hoping I can get back out there, and here's hoping she doesn't need rescuing, as I can't find my snowshoes.

good day to count the birds at the feeder. blech.

but hey, when I'm not driving, it's beautiful! ARGH!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations Mr. & Mrs. Image! [Yipee]

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weather is good here, but I hear Michigan has ice storms. Some of my relatives probably have no electricity in the cold. Minnesota is probably affected, too.
Not a nice Christmas present.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rather an austere Christmas here, but rarely cold. We got two board games from my family and are endeavouring to play one of them. Also reading some mysteries by Dame Agatha Christie on the quiet, workless days. Going to church rather a lot this time of year...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
FWIW, this is the same company that trained drivers that the proper way to get in the truck was to start by opening the door [Killing me]

Corporate wonks...

I would have thought "Locate your truck in a lot the size of the Chicago Cattle Mart and dig it out of the snow" would be better. Then again, that's something the Suits don't need to worry about.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

so far this december, our location has received 85 inches of snow.

beautiful. major pain in the ass. the berms are so high I have no place to put the snow.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

We've only had .1 inches so far. I was especially glad that I didn't have to dig out my car in the bus stop parking lot when I came back from Washington. In previous years I have had to shovel off snow or chip off quantities of ice.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016