homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The USA thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The USA thread
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've heard them called "Homer Hush Puppies", too. I assume Tignish is a very wet town?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Green certainly is a fashion statement! When I bought mine in Ketchikan I had my choice of Uniroyal or Goodyear, but they only came in red.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oh, they're not just green. Bad Camo Green.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had about seven inches of extremely wet snow Wednesday evening. I lost power for a little over an hour. Some people in the northern part of town are still in the dark.

Yesterday was sunny, so I didn't start to move the snow until afternoon. I managed to dig out my car and shovel the sidewalk in front of my house. That's all I had energy for. The sun took care of a lot of the snow, and it's sunny again today. I'm hoping I won't have to do any shoveling on the driveway.

This is the first significant snowfall we've had all winter.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NO snow here. In fact it's disconcerting how warm (for January) that it's been here. [Frown]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The sun has cleared all the snow from my driveway. I am so lucky my driveway has a southern exposure.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

We got a few more inches last night. not really enough to shovel but I think I will anyway. I need the exercise.

it's actually been lovely here since last weekend's rain storm. not too cold, not too warm. There's still a lot of ice not yet fully covered up yet so walking is tricky, but I can't really complain. however, another warm front is predicted. please pass us by!

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm beginning to wonder about our church...we are growing and losing staff at the same time... [Ultra confused]

We're currently going with "God will sort it all out in time" right now, but seriously, can we not be forming search committees for a few months please??

Oh well, at least the weather is wonderful here, although I'm not sure why one of our neighbors is shooting off fireworks tonight. The Texans lost didn't they??

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hear we're supposed to get some snow tomorrow. Just when I was planning a day out on the holiday.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a cold spell here in Northern California that had frost out on cars and grass. It was too cold for me to walk about for a stroll. Today the sun came out and it was warm enough to take a walk.

The HOA peeps decided once again to take down the ground so that we are prepared for the spring rains when everything starts growing like gangbusters all over the place.

I am so ready for spring.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PataLeBon:
quote:
Oh well, at least the weather is wonderful here, although I'm not sure why one of our neighbors is shooting off fireworks tonight. The Texans lost didn't they??
Yeah, but fireworks are fireworks and if ya've got them ya gotta fire them off, right? And Chinese New Year is weeks away! [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's cold here and currently snowing. Lots of lovely birds at the feeder today: bluebirds, cardinals, chickadees, song sparrows (I think--I can't always tell one sparrow from another), dark-eyed juncos, rufous-sided towhees, and tufted titmice.

One of those huge flocks of blackbirds that we get in the winter has descended (with a loud *whoosh* of many wings) in and around my back yard. They'll move on in a few minutes but it is pretty impressive when this whole black cloud settles on the ground at once.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Rejoice with me, all! I have gotten a new computer, after finally getting fed up with my balky, cranky, exceedingly old desktop.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! It is so nice to have a machine that is fast. But new computers really should come with their own "new computer smell" that you can revel in when you take it out for a spin on the information highway. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey there.

So, this USA place is really darn big, right?...

I'm having some time off this year and trying to plan a trip. And not getting very far yet. One of the issues for me is the question of transport.

On previous trips to Europe I've made extensive use of rail. But I get this sense that it might not be very viable in the US, other than perhaps in the major north-eastern corridor.

I've not done a trip before where I'm doing plane travel 'within' the trip, if that makes sense.

So seriously, what are the transport options in the US? What do people use for intercity travel, besides their own cars? Should I just accept the fact that all my travel is likely to be by plane, with all the cost and inflexibility that implies?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Inter-city train travel really isn't an option except in the Northeast Corridor. And perhaps Los Angeles to San Diego. Otherwise you're better off with buses or renting a car.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forget cars. You don't want me attempting to drive on the right hand side!!

Buses? They're reasonable?

Any pointers about the main companies so I can look at websites/routes/timetables?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sometimes airlines are the best idea. Consider Southwest, the pioneer low-frills line:

http://travel.southwest.com/travel/exploreTravel.html?int=GNAVTRVLGUDE

And most cities have extended public transportation to the airport.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the bus side, the largest is Greyhound,

http://www.greyhound.com/en/RoutesAndServices/default.aspx
http://www.greyhound.com/en/dealsanddiscounts/default.aspx

BTW, where are you planning to go?

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by JB:
BTW, where are you planning to go?

I'm scared to tell you, given that I just sketched out an idea of my trip over 3 months and screamed in terror once I worked out it had 10 main flights and about 20 stops...

Within the USA, the main targets are southern California (friends live there), San Francisco, the Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle), Chicago, New England (Boston but also more generally), New York and Washington DC.

Oh, and Hawaii on the way back home.

Just a little jaunt... [Ultra confused]

Suddenly, long service leave and 6 months off work to play with is looking like a crazy idea.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unless you want to spend your whole holiday on an uncomfortable coach with uncomfortably bizarre people, air is really the only way to go for long distance travel in the United States. So long as you are traveling between major hubs, it won't be terribly expensive either.

Bus is OK for short to medium distance- the bus trip between Boston and New York, for example, is OK.

[ 25. January 2013, 14:40: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Within the USA, the main targets are southern California (friends live there), San Francisco, the Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle), Chicago, New England (Boston but also more generally), New York and Washington DC.

Well, there is good rail travel between Los Angeles and San Diego and all points in between.

It is also possible to travel by rail from Los Angeles to Seattle, with a stop in San Francisco (well, Oakland anyway), via the train with the delightful name of the Coast Starlight. It's a relatively pokey train, though, subject to pulling over to sidings to let freights go by. But it is a delightfully scenic ride.

Boston/New York/Washington is the Northeast Corridor, served by excellent rail accommodations.

I'm not familiar with the Chicago area, but I'm told train service there is also good.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

let me know when you're in the Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria area. I probably won't be able to get away, but you never know.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This might help. Amtrack train travel.

I have gone by train up the West coast, slow but lovely.
On the East coast trains were faster.
Chicago is a hub for trains traveling east and west across country. I would think flying coast to coast would be the way to go.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Not sure how you plan to get from point to point- but if you find yourself in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, I'd stand you to a pint.

(FWIW, the Amtrak train from Seattle to Chicago, the Empire Builder, goes through St. Paul.)

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I forgot to add -- it's also possible to go from New York to Chicago, or Washington DC to Chicago, by train.

The days of the 20th Century Limited are long gone, but the route from New York to Chicago will take you up the highly scenic and historic Hudson River valley, past the Palisades, the West Point Military Academy, the town of Garrison (where "Helly Dolly" was filmed), some great bridges, some great scenery such as Bear Mountain and Storm King, and some curiosity items such as Bannerman's Island.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the States. Trains are slow, they ain't cheap, and air travel, especially if you book through, say, Southwest or Airtran, can be fairly reasonable. And before you start having Ryanair and EasyJet flashbacks—you know, the fare's cheap, but seats are extra—don't worry, SW is actually one of the better airlines about that.*

But trains . . . unless they're scenic or you're in the Boswash megalopolis, don't bother, really. The Empire Builder is lovely (it passes through Glacier National Park at one point), but takes two whole days to make what would be a four hour plane flight. Cross-country train travel? Forget it.

*It may just be that SW started out as a low-frills airline that never cut basic services, but, these days, they're one of the less oppressive carriers in the States.

[ 25. January 2013, 17:35: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Welcome to the States. Trains are slow, they ain't cheap, and air travel, especially if you book through, say, Southwest or Airtran, can be fairly reasonable. And before you start having Ryanair and EasyJet flashbacks—you know, the fare's cheap, but seats are extra—don't worry, SW is actually one of the better airlines about that.*

But trains . . . unless they're scenic or you're in the Boswash megalopolis, don't bother, really. The Empire Builder is lovely (it passes through Glacier National Park at one point), but takes two whole days to make what would be a four hour plane flight. Cross-country train travel? Forget it.

*It may just be that SW started out as a low-frills airline that never cut basic services, but, these days, they're one of the less oppressive carriers in the States.

If your trains are slow and "not cheap" look at ours: If one travels from the extreme south-west of England (Penzance) to the extreme north of Scotland (Wick) then it takes 24 hours for a journey of about 950 miles and costs about £260 of our English pounds!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
orfeo, instead of Greyhound you may want to look at some of the low-cost express buses like Megabus. They're cheaper than Greyhound because they don't have bus stations - they just stop on the side of the street like a city bus. You buy the tickets online.

I've never ridden on one myself, but church acquaintances say they're pretty comfortable and less liable to have drunks and crazies than Greyhound.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Plus, they have a network map on their website that immediately lets me see which cities are connected to which other cities, and they don't have unbelievably stupid responses to e-mails!!

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're getting a winter storm [Yipee] (bet you never thought anyone could get so excited about a storm!) but it will be a rain event instead of snow event for us. If I lived a little higher in altitude, it would be snow, though.
HECK, I'll take any source of moisture here in the desert. After having a frozen well and no water for 2 days because of freezing weather. It was almost 50 today, so we are having a bit of a break with a warmer air mass. Then, back to cold weather. <sigh>

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

quote:

Oh, and Hawaii on the way back home.

• Hawaii is worth the trip.
  • Having lots of time may give more options than the rest of us usually consider.
  • But there isn't anything in the Southwest on your list.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I ain't never been, but I hear the Grand Canyon can't be beat.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Southwest? Another region? *faints*

And in fact I'm well aware that the whole 'south' isn't on the list. No Texas or Florida or Tennessee or anything in between.

I'll pencil the Grand Canyon in for 2025. I should have time by then.

In all seriousness, though, one of the things I'm vaguely realising in the back of my mind is the vast amount of Australia that I've never seen. I've never gone anywhere near the deserts or the tropics for instance. Australia is about the same size as the '48', after all.

Everything is so big, despite what the internet might make us think.

[ 26. January 2013, 01:21: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And in fact I'm well aware that the whole 'south' isn't on the list. No Texas or Florida or Tennessee or anything in between.

[Disappointed] So I noticed.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Orfeo, I really want to go to the Grand Canyon and to Australia. Maybe you should consider a trip to the Atlantic coast of Canada so we could figure out a wee plan for 2025. Then again, I'm off to Florida next week for a conference so I could take some photos and send them to you to tempt you.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
... I'm off to Florida next week for a conference so I could take some photos and send them to you to tempt you.

Pictures to tempt people to visit? Here are some.

And some more

And even more.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are also Shipmates in Arizona and New Mexico who would be happy to show you around.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
less liable to have drunks and crazies than Greyhound.

the one time I rode the Greyhound (Kansas to El Paso and back) the drunks and the crazies were the onboard entertainment! The bus smelled funny, but there was never a dull moment!
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I ain't never been, but I hear the Grand Canyon can't be beat.

Don't got down, go
up! that's what greets me on my way to work everyday. weather permitting.

it's a (relatively) short, non-stop flight from Seattle! just think, a whole state 1/3rd the size of the 48. you could spend your whole vacation getting lost in the wilderness.

plus, the company is grand!

--------------------

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

To combine Comet's idea of "up" with the Grand Canyon, the helicopter tour should NOT be missed.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
you could spend your whole vacation getting lost in the wilderness.

Sorry, as soon as you say that I immediately think of Into the Wild. Which is a truly awesome movie. It's just rather... tragically awesome.

Meanwhile I appear to have started a bidding war across an entire continent. Which is a little bit scary.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Chris McCandless was an idiot. there, I said it. And John Krakauer is a bigger idiot for taking the journal of an idiot and trying to turn it into some sort of vision quest story.

and the difference is, you'd have a guide. who isn't an idiot.

but yes, i know. we're way out of the way etc etc. harumph.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Inter-city train travel really isn't an option except in the Northeast Corridor. And perhaps Los Angeles to San Diego. Otherwise you're better off with buses or renting a car.

Rail travel is actually pretty reasonable along the West Coast--the Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA is a lovely ride, and the Amtrak Cascades run from Vancouver to Eugene is a very reasonable way of getting around.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I need to say, officially and for the record, that sometimes teenagers do improve with age.

Everything is falling apart here at the Phoenix Tree House at the moment. The septic is off-gassing into the house sporadically; one dog has a big injury that might end up being terminal (he is too big to manage an amputation) the other dog has a mysterious hole in his head (just the skin, thank goodness, but the bleeding! the whining!); I can't make rent or any utilities this month; the temps have dropped dramatically to where the car isn't convinced that starting is a good idea (after last week where it was so warm and wet out the brakes iced up and it was immobile); and finally this morning the water pump just quit. the house one, not the car one. So suddenly, I'm revisiting my childhood of hauling buckets of water and living the "outdoor plumbing" lifestyle again. with all of this going on, the place has been looking and smelling like a crack house. just haven't had to time or inclination to be a proper homemaker.

I'm cranky.

When I went to haul water today, the 17 year old asked to be dropped at home first. By the time I got home (30 minutes or so) the living room and kitchen were clean, the copious dog hair vacuumed up, the qunnechuq (sort of like a mudroom) all tidied and the desk and table cleared off and tidied. apparently the boy felt like I could use a break. please note I did not ask him to do anything and there was no offered reward. this was spontaneous.

holy cow!

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done, Chasee-17!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Well done, Chasee-17!

Amen!!

Don't you just love it when the rugrats turn into loving, contributing members of the family, and can recognize parental stress? (And do something about it?!)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
So suddenly, I'm revisiting my childhood of hauling buckets of water and living the "outdoor plumbing" lifestyle again.

and because I desperately need to share - I'm having to haul 12 gallons a day right now to cover needs. I did the math because I was feeling like a weakling. each 6 gallon jug, full, weighs approximately 50 lbs. so when I haul those bastards into the car and then into the house, I'm essentially deadlifting 100 lbs.

roar!

(a friend is coming to check the pump tonight. please pray for an easy and cheap fix)

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
let me know when you're in the Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria area. I probably won't be able to get away, but you never know.

Seattle Shipmeet! Yes!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet, many sympathies. How far do you have to drive to get the water? And then, of course, you have to heat it. I hope and pray that it is sorted soon (and as inexpensively as possible).

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I fill the jugs at work, so four miles from here. not a huge deal. and lots of people here have no indoor plumbing so hauling water isn't a big deal. ('cept I've gotten spoiled!)

my friend the electrician thinks it's a $10 part - but a part that has to come from Anchorage. so price is good, but time frame may not be great. meanwhile, we're doing fine. I can also get showers at work. I just need to grumble a little!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016