homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The USA thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The USA thread
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just have memories of my trip to California, staying with friends. For several days, every time Mary went around a bend I was terribly confused about which part of the road we should be on, and consequently would have a split second of thinking we were about to crash into oncoming traffic.

I also tried to hop in the driver's side of the car a few times...

Mind you, I only had a week in the country that time. If I wait until New England to drive then I'll have been in North America for a month or so, and my brain might have adjusted by then.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wouldn't give up on he idea of A car. It isn't called New England for nothing. Driving there can be like being in actual Hampshire.

Just cling to the white line.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I wouldn't give up on he idea of A car. It isn't called New England for nothing. Driving there can be like being in actual Hampshire.

Just cling to the white line.

Well, that might be comforting to someone who's familiar with Hampshire!!

EDIT: Never been there. And the fact that I had to check a map to confirm just where Hampshire was should tell you something.

[ 15. February 2013, 09:22: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
My husband's driven in the US and says that once you are in a car with the controls on that side, then you adjust automatically. Nor is rural New England scary driving - many of the little places are just a Main Street - you'd be hard pushed to find an intersection.

There are some towns in New Hampshire that are so small they don't even have any stop signs.

I adjusted automatically to driving on the left side of the road in Ireland. If the controls are on the proper side, it's no problem.

You can travel in Vermont and New Hampshire by bus, but then you have the problem of getting from the bus station to wherever you want to go. You can't count on there being taxis in these small towns. As a matter of fact, you can usually count on there being no taxis.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to sunny Florida! It is 1:26 pm, and the temperature is only 52!!! Most of this winter hasn't even been that cold at night!

My tomatoes are covered and the orchids are inside. There's a chance of frost in the morning.

Oh, and the Budweiser Clydesdales have been in town. Those are some huge, beautiful animals! Love them!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
JJ : I have several Christmas Cactuses blooming now, inside of course. It IS you, isnt it who talks about your C.C.s ?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
and from the other extreme, I have one thing to say:
Tiddley-Pom.

actually had to dig into a foot of snow to find the shovel.

my christmas cacti are sitting by the south window pouting. occasionally giving me forlorn looks. marking off the days on their little plant calendars.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, that was me. I used to talk about my Crazy Cactus, which pleased Uncle Pete no end.

The cactus is gone. It disappeared. Really. I had no idea what happened to it. The basket was still hanging, but nobody was home. So, I got a nice, well-behaved little pink CC in December. It seems to be happy, since it's sprouting new little leaves. So far, there doesn't seem to be the need to call a cactus counselor in.

Comet...there were some snow shovels at the local hardware store a few years ago. Apparently the corporate office didn't understand our location and weather conditions. The shovels were all sold, BTW. I think a couple of them went home as curiosities.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have no snow here, though my pupils this week thought hail was tantamount to it and had the corresponding cabin fever!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

Comet...there were some snow shovels at the local hardware store a few years ago. Apparently the corporate office didn't understand our location and weather conditions. The shovels were all sold, BTW. I think a couple of them went home as curiosities.

pooper scoopers for really large dogs...?

our local grocery store got a shipment of sunblock in in December. they put it out on special with the Christmas stuff. why not? [Biased] the manager said it was a shipment meant for Hawaii, and too much of a pain to send back. but we all got a kick out of it.

if we block out any more UV from our bodies we'll all be see-through.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I moved from Michigan to Oregon, I didn't bother to bring the snow shovel. Within five months I regretted it, and bought a new one. However, I've only had to use it once in the last five years, and I really wonder if I'll ever have to use it again (global warming and all that).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Where is everybody? Surely we have something to post about!

So, I'm worried about my outside kitty, MamaCat. She's always here. This morning she hasn't shown up for breakfast. I hope she's OK.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It looks like our "Arizona Winter" may have finally come to an end.

Daytime temperatures are supposed to reach 80 degrees F. (26 degrees C.) by the weekend.

Nighttime temperatures have been comfortably above freezing for well over a week now, although we had previously been advised to wrap our outdoor pipes against the possibility of freezing, and quite a bit of foliage had been damaged on those few nights where the temperature dipped below the freezing mark.

But the groundskeepers were around yesterday to trim away all the dead foliage, and they also trimmed the two gigantic pine trees outside my front window. So my condo is now bathed in sunshine. I'll probably miss those pine trees when summer finally sets in, though, with temperatures well above the 100 degree F. mark.

[ 28. February 2013, 16:25: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

MamaCat was home when I got home from work! [Yipee] She was bedraggled, and had apparently just gotten there (the food had only a bite or two out of it), but I was very grateful to see her safe.

I asked her where she was. She didn't answer. [Biased]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hooray! Welcome back, Kitty!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is lovely here today. 70F and lots of sunshine. Makes me want to plant something, but I know it could well snow here in Northern California next week. We do so need rain, but I sure am enjoying this spring like weather.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A really typical March day here; sunny but cold and very windy.

March winds and April showers
Bring the little May flowers. [Big Grin]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After spending a freezing week in Tampa, I came back to warmer weather here in the desert. Crazy but true. [Confused]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

MoBo, it is, of course, starting to warm up here. But the fellowship was certainly warm and comforting! IMHO!

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here it is! The photo from the Florida ship meet

[ 09. March 2013, 04:30: Message edited by: Ye Olde Motherboarde ]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] Lovely!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Was that just last Saturday? We did have a great time together...we always do, don't we?

It's a gorgeous day here in Paradise. 73 degrees, light breeze, and sun and clouds. It's why we live here. Unfortunately, sometimes we get the weather that MoBo and JB had to endure. Too bad we can't schedule icky weather for times we have no guests.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was out looking around in the garden yesterday making plans for the next planting season when I noted my strawberry plant is missing [Confused] Gone! Not a sign of it. Garden is fenced in so no deer could have had it for lunch. Not frozen, not dead, just up and disappeared. Very strange. Both of our banks in town were robbed last week. Do you think there is a connection with my missing plant? Turns out the same guy held up both banks but he has yet to be caught, Makes me feel like I am living in the old West. Mind you this is in a town of less then 2,000 people and a main street which is six blocks long. Thankfully no sign of a gun nor was anyone hurt. Just before he robbed the bank the girl scouts tried to sell him some cookies. He did not buy any even when he left the bank with the cash.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Graven Image:
quote:
Just before he robbed the bank the girl scouts tried to sell him some cookies. He did not buy any even when he left the bank with the cash.

Just the kind of cold-hearted bastard who'd steal a defenseless strawberry plant, by gum! [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

DEATH TO THE EVIL HEARTLESS STRAWBERRY THIEF! [Mad]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If he steals too many strawberry plants he could find himself in a jam!

Okay, I'll get my coat.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

probably a squirrel.

the bank robber, I mean.

--------------------

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or a vole. We have huge problems with them here. Or maybe even a rabbit.

The daffodils are blooming here and the birds are house-hunting. We need to put our bluebird houses up.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

photos of my childhood church. makes me terribly homesick. hasn't changed much at all.

I broke the original bell rope when I was about seven. I was so excited to be allowed to ring the bell for church that I hung my entire bodyweight on it and swung to really rock that ringing. ops! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
photos of my childhood church. makes me terribly homesick. hasn't changed much at all.

I broke the original bell rope when I was about seven. I was so excited to be allowed to ring the bell for church that I hung my entire bodyweight on it and swung to really rock that ringing. ops! [Big Grin]

Loved the picture of the fire in 40 gallon drum. We made a similar in backblocks house we had on 40 acres of bush in Hunter Valley,NSW. We did buy the fire door which had fireproof glass in it. Damper on flue was similar in similar position.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

What a lovely little church!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coffee Cup
Shipmate
# 13506

- Posted      Profile for Coffee Cup   Email Coffee Cup   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been here on the east coast of these United States for 6 weeks today, so I guess I am starting to settle in a little. Even though I'm normally here in lurker-mode I though I should say hello (I've not quite mastered "Hi y'all" yet!).
Posts: 66 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

If there isn't one thing, it's another........
A couple of crazy days. The neighbor came over yesterday and said the water faucet was in exploding mode. [Eek!] The outside corral faucet unfroze and there was water everywhere! Now, of course, I didn't know where the shut off valve was so I had to ask the neighbor's son. [Help]
Today, JB and a friend replaced the faucet, refilled the water trough for the horses and moved dirt.

Word to the wise here.......We all should know where to shut off the water, electric, gas, propane (or whatever) in our houses in time of an emergency. Now I do, thank heavens. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Motherboard, that is a very important reminder! Thanks!

Hey Coffee Cup! Glad you de-lurked to post here!

And before anyone says anything, I have a lot of !!! left over of my monthly quota. [Razz]

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Coffee Cup, don't worry you won't need to use the "hey ya'll" greeting until you end up in the south.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Popping into this thread to say hello, and especially to tell y'all that if you have a chance to meet Coffee Cup, she's lovely. Quietly intrepid, brilliant, and fun. Britain's loss, your gain.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coffee Cup
Shipmate
# 13506

- Posted      Profile for Coffee Cup   Email Coffee Cup   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the welcome! And Amos you have made me blush [Hot and Hormonal]

But part of your 'things which are different in America' intel was so true it has caused me to post a question (which maybe should be in Heaven, not A.S., though it is US specific):
The birds here are different. I don't know anything about birds, but I'm living by a lake, and there are lots of unfamiliar ones. Can someone recommend a simple, small book? Pictures vital, anything which requires binoculars is probably a bit too involved. Thanks!

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

it's not simple or small (or cheap) but the bible of bird books for north america is Sibley's. check it out from the library first, because it isn't cheap. but having used a lot of different ones, that one is the best and easiest for identification. his illustrations are spot on, descriptions perfect and easy to understand, and it's easy to use. no binocs necessary.

I recommend putting out feeders to see who shows up and learn them at your leisure. remember it is a BIG continent so your location can make a big difference.

and feel free to PM me descriptions and I'll look them up for you. my sibleys sits right next to the window!

Come to the dark side, future bird nerd. the company is grand... [Devil]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

it's gotten way cheaper since I got mine! (no fair!)

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Cornell labs online guide. by far the cheapest option! they are also great. I believe they have a good app for phones, too. my mom is the queen of all bird nerds and she highly recommends them. one of the nice things is they have a HUGE library of calls and songs to help in your identification.

PS - for extra fun on a quiet day, play the songbird calls and watch your cat loose his little MIND.

I'm easily entertained.

[ 18. March 2013, 01:50: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You can get a used copy from abe books.

That's even cheaper.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the moment the abe books server seems to be down, hopefully it will be back online soon.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

I have been training Blue Jays to a bell. I ring the bell and then put out the food. This morning as soon as I rang the bell they flew to a near by tree and waited for me to put out the food. It has taken about two weeks for them to make the connection. [Smile]
Coffee Cup
Shipmate
# 13506

Fantastic! Thanks, especially to comet, for the recommendations. I don't have any outside space to hang a feeder (and I don't have the tools to drill into a brick wall), but I will acquire a copy of Sibley's guide to live by the big window [Smile]

[ 19. March 2013, 01:15: Message edited by: Coffee Cup ]

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Happy to help!

soooooo.... I'm just come from the doctor's, the proud owner of a new knee brace that I have to wear all the time I'm up. ugh. My knee has been hurting for months, especially after long shifts at work, and had gotten quite debilitating, so I sucked it up and went in. no damage to bone, but obviously unhappy soft tissue. So, I'm using the brace, and anti-inflammies, and focusing my strength training on buffing up the knee. worst of all - no running for up to SIX MONTHS. just as I had started training again. HATE. EVERYTHING.

it started the day after our Bachelor Auction. I was on my feet all day, then the auction all evening which is also lots of running around and putting out brushfires. then I go over to the bar for the party and arrive right when one of the bartenders messed up his hand, so BOOM I'm behind the bar until 3 am. then... *sigh* the crowd started to thin. and us bartenders needed to blow off some steam. so... (don't laugh) we took some time out to dance.

on the bar.

(stop laughing)

and little miss rock star here, with a few too many shots in her (I can hear you laughing) decided to take a great dramatic leap off of the bar.

(all right, go ahead)

I totally stuck my landing (despite the shots) and I was AWESOME if I do say so myself.

the next day I couldn't walk. (actually couldn't really talk, either. screaming at bachelors. yay.) the pain faded but then started coming back whenever I had a busy night on my feet. then it got to where it hurts after EVERY shift. So when I started my training for running this week, I figured I'd better get it checked.

and here I sit in a knee brace that will NOT go well with short skirts for work. grumph. and my summer activity? Speed walking? doc says I can try running in a month or so and see how I do.

but I'm pouting.

and yes, I KNOW. It's totally self-inflicted.

but hey, you know. I totally stuck the landing. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I am fed up to the teeth with the weather here. The average daytime temperature is supposed to be in the fifties. Today the forecast is for the low thirties. It snowed about a quarter inch last night.

I have yard work which has to be done by next Monday. The town collects brush twice a year, and the day for my neighborhood is Monday. There are a lot of sticks and small branches that have blown down from my trees over the winter. I have to pick them all up and get them out to the curb.

The temperature right now is twenty-one degrees, and the windchill is sixteen degrees. [Frown]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Whatever happened to Roger Tory Peterson? We had one of his bird guides when I was a kid.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Whatever happened to Roger Tory Peterson? We had one of his bird guides when I was a kid.

He died in 1996, but his books are still available.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I am fed up to the teeth with the weather here. The average daytime temperature is supposed to be in the fifties. Today the forecast is for the low thirties. It snowed about a quarter inch last night.

Moo

You may find this relevant, Moo.

"In his indictment, the prosecutor stated, 'Punxsutawney Phil did purposely, and with prior calculation and design, cause the people to believe that Spring would come early.' Gmoser cited a snowstorm and record low temperatures in Butler County as evidence that Phil's prediction was grossly inaccurate."

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reading reports of a tornado in Orlando. Hope all Floridian Shipmates are OK. I think all those I met in 2010 live far enough away. Let's just say anyone going to Universal Studios needn't bother going into the 'Twister' attraction...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016