homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The USA thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The USA thread
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Gill! It was very windy here yesterday...really over the whole weekend. But, no twisters down here.

I take them very seriously, as a few years ago a cousin and her husband who lived just north of Orlando were killed in one, leaving their little tiny girl as the only survivor of that terrible event. [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, we're finally getting that snow the kids have been waiting for since Christmas. Seriously, snow this late in March is ridiculous. However, it's a balmy 35 degrees, so it won't stick.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
Well, we're finally getting that snow the kids have been waiting for since Christmas. Seriously, snow this late in March is ridiculous. However, it's a balmy 35 degrees, so it won't stick.

Our temperature is a few degrees cooler, and it will stick. [Frown]

Yesterday there were several disgruntled robins in my yard.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't envy your cold weather, but SoCal could use some serious watery precipitation. We are deep in drought. But it's not likely to happen at this point. [Frown]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, means nothing to most of you, but I just had to share: today I drove down to Pacifica and took my very first ride through the new Devil's Slide tunnel.

It's beeeaaauuutiful [Tear]

[ 26. March 2013, 22:37: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cool, Kel. You're the first one I've heard from who's made the drive.

Here's a picture of another Bay Area tunnel, from a much earlier day. It's the first tunnel from Berkeley to the wilds on the other side of the hill - the forerunner of the Caldecott today. Makes yours look even shinier, doesn't it?

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rain, Rain, Rain they say all through Easter week-end. As I no longer drive at night or in rain I am unhappy. Looks like I will be spending most of Holy Week at home as all services are in the evening.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have had two wonderful days in a row near 70 here. (Although, I talked to Snowgoose back east and she's having SNOW!)
We got a tree moved, worked on the garden planters, moved yucca bushes and generally soaked up the sun. The buds on the fruit trees are happy, but we have put Christmas tree lights on the trees, which keep the buds warm in case another cold snap arrives.

The living room is still in the state of mess. The walls are gone, New and warmer insulation is being put in, wiring (over 50 years old) is being replaced. We picked up a more efficient fireplace insert, which I do not want to use before next winter. [Big Grin] And I think we are going to do a coffered ceiling. Old houses are a pain sometimes, but we are looking forward to better soon.

I'm so ready to go to the local spa and take a mud bath, or as JB calls it "the mud wallow". Soaking in the 100 plus degree water is great for arthritis and muscle aches. Belle, Janine and I love our spa days and after you take off the mud, your skin is soft as a babies butt - plus, the mud has medicinal properties, too.

So, spring is here in the desert. Easter weekend is looking pretty good. [Yipee] So I hope that you will enjoy your Easter weekend, too. God bless you all.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This afternoon I made the dough for the four dozen pecan rolls I will take to church on Sunday. The dough is in my fridge; I punch it down every now and then.

On Saturday, I will make the rolls and bake them. My mother-in-law taught me the trick of chilling yeast dough thoroughly so that it is easier to shape.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy to report sunshine here today so I will be able to drive to church. Local bank robber is behind bars. All and all a good day so far.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
...We got a tree moved, worked on the garden planters, moved yucca bushes...

That is a lot like the gardening instructions I get: "Would you move that tree over a foot or so to the right..."
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Cool, Kel. You're the first one I've heard from who's made the drive.

Here's a picture of another Bay Area tunnel, from a much earlier day. It's the first tunnel from Berkeley to the wilds on the other side of the hill - the forerunner of the Caldecott today. Makes yours look even shinier, doesn't it?

Sweeeet.
[Cool]

Also, You're gonna think I'm a big dip for this, but I actually had tears in my eyes as i went through. No big sobbing melt down or anything, just happy little tears.

Maybe you remember me gushing about the fantastic Nancy Hall of Pacifica.
Here she is with her band, taking one last ride.

[ 31. March 2013, 23:19: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Maybe you remember me gushing about the fantastic Nancy Hall of Pacifica.
Here she is with her band, taking one last ride.

What a fantastic video!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

She's a really awesome lady. We chat all the time on Facebook, but when I introduced myself at one of her art showings she had no idea who I was. [Big Grin] Whatever. The internet world is weird...

--------------------

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Temps in the 50's here, but we're due for a freeze tonight. I wish it would stop doing that, because things are leafing out. I want to start planting my glads but am waiting because the weather has been so indecisive.

We have quite a few rufous-sided towhees this year, and they have discovered Brunhilde's food dish. A bird will sit on the hedge next to the porch, look around for the cat, and then, if it thinks the coast is clear, hop over and snarf a piece of (dry) Fancy Feast. I have moved the food dish right up against the house and behind a flower pot, which hasn't stopped them; in fact, the jays and mockingbirds have also discovered it.

Sometimes I see Brunhilde the mighty hunter just sitting on the porch a yard or two away, watching them eat. She is more a mouser than a birder.

[ 02. April 2013, 17:30: Message edited by: snowgoose ]

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sunny but chilly here. Feels earlier than April!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My AC is back on. [Frown]

I'm really glad to have it; summer would be difficult without it. At least in the houses that are constructed as they are now. But it has been great having electric bills less than $30! I should be grateful for the months I had them, right?

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

It snowed last night; there were about three inches on the ground when I went to bed. Apparently it rained later and disposed of most of the snow on the roads. The ground is still covered.

I have some Virginia Tech students coming tomorrow supposedly to clear my yard of the sticks and leaves that came down in the winter. Unfortunately the leaves and sticks are under the snow. This is a volunteer service day, and if the students can't do the work tomorrow, they won't be able to do it. [Waterworks]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

The snow melted almost completely. The students came and filled twenty-four lawn-and-leaf bags with leaves, twigs, etc. [Yipee]

Now it's time to buy gas for the lawn-mower.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Holi Hai! (It's Holi!)

[ 07. April 2013, 00:30: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

I am having trouble remembering all of my passwords. @#%***&()%%% is this just me and a sign of old age or are others like me.

It just seems I need more different ones with longer mixed codes then my brain can handle. I am tempted to write them all down and post them on the wall above my computer. LOL

I learned a lesson this week..After working all day at the church and coming home tired and very hungry do not let yourself go grocery shopping. Let me just say words such as chips, cookies, soda, cheese, none of which I should be eating, only starts to cover what was in those bags. It was bad, very very bad. [Disappointed]

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always think I'm going to avoid doing that when I stop at the grocery store on the way home from work, and I'm always wrong.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Years ago now I had a really tense meeting somewhere then came out with a colleague and we went to a coffee shop where I had TWO Viennese coffees before hitting Safeway - it was a rather expensive performance!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Passwords. Little alphabeticized notebook in inconspicuous location.

If you can't even remember whether you are a Returning Customer, let alone the sodding username/password.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Graven Image, have you tried a service such as Lastpass? You only have to remember the one password to get into Lastpass itself, and then it will store the passwords for all the other sites you use and automatically log into them for you.

I tried the free version but the main reason I wanted it was to generate secure passwords, and you have to buy the premium version for that.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Antisocial Alto suggested
quote:
Graven Image, have you tried a service
I might give that a try, thanks if hiding them around the house does not work out.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
April 11, twenty-freaking-below this morning.

I'm officially grouchy.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a discernible difference between official and unofficial grouchiness?

Just askin'.

It's a lovely warm and sunny morning here - and no permafrost!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
when it's official, the Whole cotton-pickin' World gets to hear about it.

[Big Grin]

you're welcome.

(point of information, sir: there's no permafrost where I live, either. 'cause I'm in the tropical southlands of my state...)

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and there's me thinking that anywhere north of the 48 was permafrost!

[Razz]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

We had our two days of Spring, and are now in Summer season. It's supposed to be 90 today, but so far it's only 85 out. But, the humidity stinks! I could see the big, puffy cumulus clouds over the Gulf today. Looks more like June or July.

And...my big gripe...those two lovely Spring days? I was (still am) way too sick to be able to enjoy them. [Waterworks]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

my son was voted Prom King last night.

he's not a jock. he is strongest in history, poly sci, and debate. He wears glasses and quotes Descartes and Dr. Who.

Prom King!

when did I somehow raise "popular" kids? so weird!

and - power to the geeky kids!

[ 14. April 2013, 19:41: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Once again, I act out my frustrated maternal instinct via auntie-fussing

IOW, Go, Chasee#2!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

[Big Grin]

my kids love you, Kel.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Big Grin] back at 'em. Hopefully in person some day.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Oooh! King Chasee II! Geeks and Nerds are da bomb!

Queen Mother comet...has a ring to it. I'm sure I must be saying that all wrong, but it sounds nice to this 'Murrican.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two bombs just exploded in the packed Copley Square on the finish line of the Boston Marathon. [Votive]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

God have mercy. [Votive]

Take care of yourself, Zach!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Zach, please be safe. all prayers to your and your loved ones.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Geeks and Nerds are da bomb!

Who knew that at the time I was typing that...

If that was supposed to be a cosmic joke, it wasn't funny. [Frown] [Votive]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

don't be silly, Judy. we all understand what you meant. no harm, no foul.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

*bump

Yesterday, while I was warming the church choir up, and old friend came into the choir room! We've talked on the book of face, and have had a few phone conversations, but I haven't actually seen him for about two years. (He's also a church musician and a fabulous tenor!)

I twisted his arm to sing in the choir. [Yipee] Normally he would be playing for his own church, but an evil witch woman made his last position intolerable.

I think he liked the music and the preacher's sermon at our shack...so I think we have a new choir member! Hooray!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking of warming up, I wish I could, literally! I am SO tired of the cold and the rain. It was warm(ish) today for a change, but now it's back to days in the 50s and nights in the 30s. Come on, Spring! Don't be shy!

[ 23. April 2013, 03:33: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

spring is here, at least! Bluebird days, highs in the upper FORTIES! (yes, that's a lot) and everything from the knee down is absolute snot. the sun is now up around 6 am and going down in the 10 pm range. good stuff.

now, if I just had a tank to get in and out of my driveway....

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Mamacita, Florida is warm-hot. Just mentioning that in case you need an escape! [Cool]

Oh, and the Gulf water is about 80 degrees now.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Lovely warm weather here. Turned on the sprinklers for the first time this year. High fountain quickly falling to low fizzle. Just had to repair the car, the sink, and now the yard, all in the same month I bought new eye glasses. [Frown] BAD TIMING.
Michael Snow
Shipmate
# 16363

- Posted      Profile for Michael Snow   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post 
Here in South Dakota, we had a blizzard on Monday.
The yellow light in this picture is attached to a big snowplow truck on the road going out of town.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/mikesnow/P1080337_zpsb62c0f10.jpg

It was in the 20s yesterday morning and this morning. But temps are supposed to jump about 10 degrees each day till we hit 70 on Saturday.

--------------------
http://spurgeonwarquotes.wordpress.com/

Posts: 62 | From: S. Dak./ Romania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

After years with very few cardinals in my neighborhood, we are having them everywhere this year! [Big Grin] I love hearing them call, and am especially thrilled to see them flitting through the trees. Such a beautiful day today.

This morning, I was on the phone when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a movement on the outside windowsill. Expecting to see Mama Cat, I turned my head to see a squirrel! The window is less than four feet from me, and the sill is about 18 inches above the floor. The little thing stood on his hind feet with his little front paws leaning on the window screen just looking at me! He stayed there for a few minutes before running off.

Yes, I'm easily entertained! [Big Grin] This is the first time I'd seen an adult squirrel so close. (Babies, yes. We've helped rescue the little ones frequently.)

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

It's snowing. Heavily. One day until May.

Not cool. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Heh, I read about that earlier. Nature getting one last shot in? [Big Grin]

I had the neatest dream last night-- I dreamed I went up north to visit Clan RooK. He was futzing around with a baby carriage and complaining about his annoying neighbors-and for some reason he resembled Tomb, just a little- but the most vivid part of the dream was that I was so happy to see Nurse again I threw my arms around her and kissed her on the cheek. (for those who haven't met her, she's very sweet.I would have no problem actually doing that, though it might startle her. [Big Grin] )

And then we went camping in some woods with just a station wagon and a bunch of sleeping bags. I buried myself in my sleeping bag and just as I was drifting off, I thought, "Wonder if there are bears around here? I bet I resemble a tamale..."

[Actually that would be a "tamal."]

[ 30. April 2013, 20:13: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016