homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The USA thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The USA thread
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
So orfeo, when are you going to be in Portland?

Arrive 16 July, leave 20 July.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
PS Southern California is lovely today, and I've stopped panicking every time my host turns onto the right hand side of the road.

I bet that you are quite relieved that it is feeling more like spring than high summer again. The last weekend was Not Fun weatherwise in the IE. It is not supposed to reach 104F in early May. [Disappointed]
Well I had seen the forecast and was forewarned, but it was a little awkward when I arrived on Monday as I had had to find clothes bearable for the climate I left. Tshirt yes, but I was wearing full length cargo pants and a light 'sweater' (to use local terminology, I'm making all sorts of adjustments. I can just feel all my 'a' vowels shifting. Banana, basketball, pass...)

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

PS. Why the blazes do you call the main course of a meal the entree? That's just silly. Look it up.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
Maybe the next time a Hellhost visits the lower 48, we shippies in flyover-land can have some kind of Survivor-like competition for who gets to demonstrate their regional cuisine for the visitor.

Working title "Ariston Shares His Crabs"?

• Somebody in the western plains should do prairie oysters.
  • We in the Midwest can have a casserole-off. Lutherans and Methodists receive a handicap.
  • There would have to be an entire bracket for barbecue variations.
  • Shellfish Smackdown: Gulf Coast vs. New England
  • In the Dairy Death Match, Wisconsin vs. Vermont.
  • ???
  • Profit!

JB would make sure his North Carolina barbecue would be on the list. And, for CHILE cuisine, he would do his brown chile, which a lot of shipmates have enjoyed when visiting here.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
PS. Why the blazes do you call the main course of a meal the entree? That's just silly. Look it up.

We do it to confuse you. Of course!

Come this direction and we'll make you some lovely ho vit lon (half-developed eggs).

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Any warm shippies accepting refugees to your couches? I'm tidy and make great coffee.

Grumble.

Here! Actual bed available. Gulf water is over 80 degrees. It was a bit chilly this morning...65 degrees. *shiver* [Biased]

The salmon from Publix is not quite Alaskan quality, but it tastes pretty good when I grill it! (To get back to the food tangent!) So, you won't starve here, comet!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Look guys you are talking of your barbecue skills to an Australian. Next you will be trying to sell to the French, coming to America to try wine.

Jengie

First, the aftermath of the Judgment of Paris, especially thirty years later. UBB is complaining about the link having a parentheses, so I'll fix it when I'm not trying to rush off to work.
Here's the link to the fun movie about the Judgement of Paris: "Bottle Shock". In the first paragraph there's a link to the Judgement of Paris. I'm happy to tell anyone who will listen that California wines won every round against the French in the 1976 tasting and then did it again 30 years later, proving that our wines are aging very nicely.

Where I come from, we do Santa Maria barbecue.

Damn. Now I want tri-tip!

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Any warm shippies accepting refugees to your couches? I'm tidy and make great coffee.

Grumble.

And after
quote:
JB- YES! NM chile is the best! I'm always trying to bribe the family into shipping me bales of green. It's worth it for the smell of the roast alone.
New Mexico didn't occur to you? It's warm here (in the summer).

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure I could stand residing in the same state as my beloved family.

The thousand or so miles are perfect for our relationship.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On a somewhat related note-- warmth, that is-- what the bleep is going on in So Cal? [Frown]

Anybody affected by the fires?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just got a brand ne phone, my first smart phone! I have moved into the 21st century. [Big Grin]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm getting tired of the rain. My lawn is seriously overdue for mowing, but the grass is too wet.

Lately it's been raining four or five times a day. I would really like forty-eight hours without rain.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hallelujah, we had rain today! Hopefully this means that rainy season is about to start!

...Even if it does mean mosquitoes, 99% humidity and 95 degree heat.

Oh well, can't have everything!

[Interesting X-post with Moo] [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 19. May 2013, 23:48: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Okay, you two (Moo and Jedi) you got rain for heaven sakes.

I watch the clouds come in and see them just sit there. [Mad] The mountains are getting rain, South of us is getting rain, North of us is getting rain, West AND East! (you get the picture!) But here in the hight desert, we are totally without the lovely wet stuff. My well parts had to be lowered to get water. Be blessed with the water you have.

Keep the prayers going for the people who are also getting TOO much rain along with tornadoes!

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for all in tornado alley [Votive]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I'm expecting some emails from Chicago... or phone calls. Are we still looking good for Wednesday?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Yeah I was just wondering who's there or who has people there.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've gotten multiple phone calls from my parents who live in OKC. They have gone to shelter once, but it seems to be staying south and west of them. It was north and east of them last night.

[Votive]

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm expecting some emails from Chicago... or phone calls. Are we still looking good for Wednesday?

Yes, I think Gwai was thinking of a place for dinner. I'm pretty much free from around 3 pm and am game for just about anything.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

TV showing utter devastation in the town of Moore. Two schools flattened and parents helping search thru the rubble. I can't imagine what they are going through. Lord, have mercy!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do we have any shipmate in Oklahoma?

I had a friend I lost contact with from a website I used to post on years ago who lived in OK City. I hope he's all right.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just heard back from various cousins, parents, etc. Seems everybody made it through just fine (sometimes in a community shelter—the heavy clay soil of central Oklahoma keeps most people from putting in basements or underground shelters), as did their houses.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Votive]

Earlier today, I went scrolling through the directory for OK residents-- most of them seemed to be 0/ 1 post folk who had long since departed from the boards. The one exception, on research, looked to be part of the Curious Buddha collective.

Please check in with your status and prayer requests if you don't turn up on a directory location search and have any information/ prayer requests to offer.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Lord have mercy

Praying for the trapped and for rescue workers, for those who wait in horror of news

[Tear]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Lord have mercy, searching through rubble for your kids at school is almost the worst nightmare you can imagine.

Prayers for everyone and for the rescuers etc who always do such a good job in awful circumstances.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

LoL!

I never thought about that.

Of course, it's silly.

Posts: 326 | From: California | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

- Posted      Profile for Emily Windsor-Cragg   Author's homepage   Email Emily Windsor-Cragg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just for reference, I'm in north-central California in the forest, 1200 ft elevation, and we haven't had rain here for a month. Our fear is fires and our economy is built on vinyards and cattle ranches.

I live on a mountain, Mt. Cobb, covered with terraformed Annunaki sculptures, hot-springs-electric generation plants and spook bases.

San Francisco is about 80 miles south of us. They're getting fog but no rain either.

Wish I could show you the Google MAP image. Oh well.

EEWC

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh NORTH Bay? For some reason, I thought South Bay. Anyway, I love it up North. I envy your locale.(Peninsula, here.)

--------------------

Emily Windsor-Cragg
Shipmate
# 17687

All the angry hippies are up here. Google Harbin Hot Springs. And their dogma follows them wherever they go.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Don't have to Google, I've been there! [Yipee] And who can listen to dogma when it is so. friggen. gorgeous up there. The loudest radical can't drown out those trees.

I love hippies, but I tend to hang with the mellower, arty version, in Petaluma and Cotati and Bodega. I hear tell if you go to the spaghetti feeds at the Bodega Firehouse often enough, you will eventually run into Tom Waits and Les Claypool slurping pasta after a marlin hunting expedition.

[ 22. May 2013, 04:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The difference between a shitty bar shift and a great bar shift is when you count your tips.

I had a huge amount of the Really Cheap Drinkers who can't follow orders and were rowdy as hell. No barback, no door. So I did everything. By the time I got them out i hated them all. Counted tips, and bless their stinky little pot-smoking patchouli-wearing dreads, they'd averaged 30%. so we bought a trailer for the move today. RELIEF!

Still, I hope tonight is less young-and-rowdy.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I hear tell if you go to the spaghetti feeds at the Bodega Firehouse often enough, you will eventually run into Tom Waits and Les Claypool slurping pasta after a marlin hunting expedition.

I'll add them to my "How do you eat spaghetti" poll (with the comet family).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Waits probably eats his with chopsticks. [Big Grin]

Claypool probably just buries his face in the plate.

[ 22. May 2013, 19:23: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Big thank you to Gwai, Mr Gwai [Biased] and Mamacita for fine pizza and excellent conversation last night. Great to meet you all! [Yipee]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

It was great to meet you, orfeo. It was a good time.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Where are the photos, people?

And Mamacita. expect the Santa Fe contingent for Hart's ordination in September. Just made the plane and hotel reservations. [Smile]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I'm so excited!

I may be knee-deep in moving boxes by then, but we will *definitely* be getting together!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

...moving...?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
Where are the photos, people?

And Mamacita. expect the Santa Fe contingent for Hart's ordination in September. Just made the plane and hotel reservations. [Smile]

Gwai and I realised there WERE no photos shortly after we'd all split off. Whoops.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
[Frown]
*sigh*

I'll just enjoy this nice bowl of worms...

Somehow, not a great argument for southern food, right there.
Ahh, but it's the preparation and presentation that make the difference! Imagine, if you will, slightly gritty spaghetti-esque packets of protein, lightly sauteed in peanut oil. Toss in a handful of toasted almonds, and a dash of your favorite hot sauce. A side of fresh asparagus, steamed with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and freshly baked cornbread round out the meal. And for dessert, a warm mango cobbler topped with homemade vanilla ice cream. We're talking good Southern fixins!
The classic medal winning preparation is Creamed
Angleworms on toast

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Orfeo, what a shame about the lack of photos. Missed opportunity, darn it. It's a shipmeet requirement! [Big Grin] But, we'll give you another chance.
Didn't anyone have a cellphone that takes photos? [Confused]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

We had photo equipment, we were just chatting so furiously we forgot to use it.

--------------------

PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It appears that a multi-vortex tornado is heading toward south Oklahoma City (yes, back toward the Moore area).

I know it's tornado season, but this is ridiculous!

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Enough already!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Yup, thoughts and prayers again for Okies [Tear]

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

The Weather Channel just announced that not only is there a huge amount of tornados already this year, hurricane season is starting, and we are expecting more hurricanes than last year.

Add to that, where I live it's going to be drier (meaning fire danger is HIGH)

Oh, great. <silent scream>

--------------------

Coffee Cup
Shipmate
# 13506

- Posted      Profile for Coffee Cup   Email Coffee Cup   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been here on the right-hand-side of the USA for just over four months and I've just about settled (thanks for the bird book recommendation comet). I'd hate for the USA thread to slip into oblivion in the next clean-up, so I'm waving *hello*!
Posts: 66 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

hi Coffee Cup!

We're under siege at the moment from Stellar's Jays, who are beautiful and BIG and the cat is getting delusions of grandeur.

it's been dry and HOT here in the northern rain forest. We have a burn ban in place, in fact. views are spectacular, but we're none of us prepared for this heat. No place in this town has AC. Normally, it's always breezy, but not this week! I've been worshipping the fan.

otherwise, it's generally lovely here. I haven't been able to put much time into job hunting as the allergy problem is really awful. I've never been particularly allergic, but this year - BAM! it's terrible. on and off since late March.

just found out last night about a PERFECT JOB for me - High School Drama and Debate coach. please cross your fingers!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Everyone should try cycling in Vermont at least once in their life. Blissful, happy results may ensue.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
So orfeo, when are you going to be in Portland?

Arrive 16 July, leave 20 July.
That should give us time to round up the usual suspects (Carex, Lady A, Spiffy, Rook? You out there?) Do you have any schedule complications to work around?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016