homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » English Spoken Here: 2013 (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: English Spoken Here: 2013
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Other suggestions:

- insult them (in a friendly way of course)
- be gloomy and downbeat rather than relentlessly cheerful
- invite them to your homes (nothing worse than living in hotels for months or, even if they've got their own digs, can be isolating)
- play British radio (must be possible through Internet) - give them the Today programme so they can shout at John Humphries from far away
- ask them to teach you Cockney Rhyming Slang

Whinge about the weather. In an understated way. "I see we've had a bit of a dusting", when there's 10' of snow outside. "Bit of a breeze out there", when there's an icy gale that cuts straight through the 6 layers you're wearing. "Don't suppose they'll grit the roads round here this year either." And finish off with "Oh, well, mustn't grumble."
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And don't forget the Newfoundland response to heavy rain: "At least you don't have to shovel it". [Big Grin]

It's rained for most of the day here, which is a good thing as it's shifted a good bit of the snow (helped by the council chaps who came round last night to clear some of it away and dump it in the harbour).

I've been Domestic Goddess Piglet today - I've painted the little drawer unit thingy, and now all it needs is nice drawer-handles.

And I've got a beef pot-roast bubbling merrily in the slow-cooker for tomorrow's lunch. I got a new slow-cooker recipe book for my birthday; not only does it have interesting things besides soups and casseroles (pot-roasts, pâtés and terrines and CAKES), but the measurements are in English as well as American and it doesn't have a single recipe for chilli con carne (my other slow-cooker book has about 15 pages of chilli recipes [Eek!] ).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday we all, except Pete who stayed at home, went to a memorial mass for the grandmother of one of the lads we know from church, or one of the churches we go to - the Syro-Malabar one. There was a mass then a short service at the graveside then we were all off to the house for food - an excellent sadiya or standard vegetarian feast of rice and lots of curries and pickles and chips and all sorts followed by payasam, or a pudding made from wheat and sugar and spices, etc.

We like food!

Anyway it was quite a cheerful time, the old lady who died was 86 so it was a celebration of her life rather than being mournful and, as usual, I ended up as unofficial official photographer, a role I quite enjoy.

In the afternoon we had a trip to the village in the jeep to take Pete to the tailor and then on the way home, just coming up our little lane, the clutch went in the jeep! We really can't complain as it has lasted 12 years. We called the maintenance people and then took it round immediately and they think it will be ready for Monday evening, which is good as we have a trip to the mountains planned for later in the week, hotel reservations made and everything. We are already grateful that it went when it did and not halfway up the mountain!

eta an hour and a half later: because of no jeep we didn't get up and go to church this morning so I had my first lie in since Pete arrived and I didn't wake up until 07.10 when usually the alarm goes off at 06.00. It was bliss!

[ 03. March 2013, 04:25: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello I'm hooome!

We had a good time in Bristol having a nosey at Boogielet2's new flat and having a look around the town. I like it very much.

Our house is now surrounded by scaffolding, ready for the roof to come off tomorrow. I am anticipating Much Clattering.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah yes, Much Clattering, twinned with its sister town, Much Binding In The Marsh. (I wonder if anyone will get that reference?]

Hope it keeps fine for you while all this is going on. You don't want rain when there's no roof (she said rather obviously).

Spent part of yesterday morning at the allotment, digging. Out of interest, I looked up the calories you're supposed to burn while doing heavy digging for 1.5 hours, and apparently it's 945, which I don't believe.

[ 03. March 2013, 16:42: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just worked out why I've put on weight. At my fighting weight of 100kg, a rugby match would consume 1400 cal. After the match there was the usual curry and a quiet pint, followed by at least six noisy ones.

That more than replaced the calories expended, so we had to rely on the singing and swearing, stupid games and staggering home afterwards for any net loss of calories.

I haven't played rugby for decades now, don't play games sillier than Indian Poker, and while I don't eat or drink so much I need to shift almost 30kg to regain my fighting weight, at which I'd still be rated at the top end of the overweight category!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Ah yes, Much Clattering, twinned with its sister town, Much Binding In The Marsh. (I wonder if anyone will get that reference?]

It's currently on iPlayer [Smile]
Today I've done some Bollywood dancing at a local International women's Day event on the estate and then ate some Iraqi pastries and African doughnuts. I then watched Carry On Screaming with the kids! We don't have a TV so we are introducing our kids to kitsch films instead.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Yes, I get the reference even from downunder. My grandparents used to listen.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Ah yes, Much Clattering, twinned with its sister town, Much Binding In The Marsh ...

My first thought too, although by the time I heard it, it was a Nostalgic Repeat; the original was a wee bit before my time.

My Domestic Goddessishness continues unabated: the pot-roast was really rather good and will be done again. The current chicken has been dismembered and turned into stock, which is now being turned into soup, and by the time you read this it'll probably be ready for virtual tasting. The meat I took off the bones will be transformed into Something With Tomatoes And Pasta tomorrow.

Is tomorrow really Monday? Where did the weekend go?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel said:
quote:
Oh yes, I get it - I used to listen as a child with my parents. We all thought it was hilarious! We liked "Fumf speaking"!

All your cookery results sound absolutely gorgeous, Piglet! I found a low fat recipe for Tuna and Chickpea patties, which I am going to try. The picture looks rather gorgeous, but so long as mine are edible, I won't worry too much about presentation.

(Yes, I know presentation is all, but Mr.G smothers everything in gravy or sauce, so it never stays presented for long!)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another day of marking here, and at some point I need to stick a Venison and lentil casserole in the slow cooker.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm hoping I'll finish my marking tonight, then I'll have just over a week before the next lot of essays come in. I do love working for the OU, and really like the students, but I am at that point in the courses where the end is sort of in sight, but still slightly too far away (I'm sure HA knows exactly what I mean!). After these ones are done I have two lots of essays for each course, plus the tutorials and exam preparation, only another 3 months, but I'm a bit over marking essays at the moment!

In other news, I spent a very enjoyable hour or so yesterday going through our packets of veg seeds (many donated by a very lovely shipmate) and working out what needs planting when and where. We also went to a local allotment society's Potato Day on Saturday and got half a dozen each of 4 varieties which are now out on the windowsill to chit. It's very exciting having an allotment - even though there is still so much digging to be done [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

My father had been keen on MBITM and often quoted bits of it to me. I remember "Funf speaking" too!

Re allotments, I've been trying to dig mine over since January and still not finished yet (I'm a weekends-only visitor at present). Saturday morning was the first time the ground hasn't been a quagmire - the end is now in sight, but apparently we get the rain and frost back from Wednesday on so whether I can get there this weekend is looking doubtful now. [brick wall]

So planting is more likely to happen at Easter now; and once the clocks go back and there's more light in the evenings I hope to be able to spend a bit more time there. I'm so looking forward to the fun bit - putting the seeds and plants in.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The soup turned out nicely, and D. made a really good loaf last night - he's definitely got the hang of it now.

[Overused]

I made the Something With Tomatoes (and red peppers and mushrooms and the left-over chicken) and it'll be introduced to some pasta and eaten for lunch tomorrow. Preliminary investigations look promising and if it's any good I'll post the recipe upstairs.

It absolutely rained like b*ggery last night; the little pond outside w*rk was higher than we've ever seen it, so much so that they closed the car-park beside it (which is a quagmire when it rains anyway, as it's not properly surfaced).

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I'm hoping I'll finish my marking tonight, then I'll have just over a week before the next lot of essays come in. I do love working for the OU, and really like the students, but I am at that point in the courses where the end is sort of in sight, but still slightly too far away (I'm sure HA knows exactly what I mean!).

I had 3 groups' essays arrive together, and need to do the last lot today. Of course, one group were double essays so it feels like 4 groups of marking. It seems to have gone on forever! Luckily the next marking isn't all the same week.
I have my appraisal today too, and a tutorial at the weekend. Too much! I'm seriously thinking about giving up teaching a February group as I find the initial overlap very tiring.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beautiful sunny day today (hurrah!) and yesterday (hurrah!) No sign of the roofers (boo!).

I think I will go to the lake today with my tripod and camera and take piccies. I have a new ball-and-socket tripod head and am very excited to try it out.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Lovely and sunny here too - pity I will be spending the day on my computer! Have fun with the camera.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heavenly Anarchist: Do you know how appropriate it was that you were post number 666 on this thread?

[Devil]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

[Two face] is my name

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

And my day is seriously lacking on the heavenly side today!

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry you're having less than a perfect day, HA.

The other day the clutch went in the jeep but as it was 12 years old we can't really complain. We took it to the workshop on Saturday evening and they promised to have it ready for last night then over the weekend the workshop owner's mum was taken to hospital and she died yesterday lunchtime but one of the mechanics worked on and got it finished at 8 p.m. yesterday! What a kind man! Himself gave the guy a big tip. Including the tip the total cost was under 140 quid so I guess we can't complain - and that included clutch plate, cover and new thrust bearing.

I wonder what that would cost on a Land Rover.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

That was good service. Our old car dramatically failed its MOT in November, 2 days after dh sent his license away for renewal [Roll Eyes] we spent 3 weeks waiting for the license to come back so we could buy a replacement!

My day isn't really so bad, I'm just tired as I was marking til 1am, and will be marking today until midnight and probably tomorrow too. My bipolar disorder is self-managed but can be triggered by stress and tiredness so I'm taking the morning off (at least til my boss phones for my annual appraisal later this morning). I'm baking bread and cake as a remedy [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Baking is so therapeutic - and it makes the whole house smell wonderful.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It does indeed - D. put another loaf in earlier this evening (the one from the other day didn't last long ... [Smile] ) and the house smells lovely.

Chicken and tomato thing was v. nice (and D. loved it, despite it being made with things he's not overly fond of like peppers and mushrooms), so I'll put the recipe up in Heaven.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

No more essays to mark - praise the Lord! but several nights burning the midnight oil whilst wading through over 50 essays has taken it's toll as I feel totally exhausted. No major plans for today other than a trip to Waitrose to buy pizzas as we have a young guest for tea. I might crawl back to bed later.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

World Book day today - which I have spent dressed as Where's Wally, a book you don't have to read, hehe!

I persuaded our whole staff to dress the same, we looked a right sight.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
World Book day today - which I have spent dressed as Where's Wally, a book you don't have to read, hehe!

I persuaded our whole staff to dress the same, we looked a right sight.

[Smile]

That sounds great fun [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

World Book Day today. Which I spent dressed as a wally, realizing too late that my cardigan was much more low-cut than the top I was wearing underneath it, and that it made me look fat (which I am not).
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I am considering making cheese today. I've never done it before (dh has though) and thought it might be fun to attempt some Mozzarella, and then use the whey to make ricotta. But I'd have to go to Waitrose to be suitable milk and it is miserable and drizzly out there. I'll get my OU prep done first for tomorrow's tutorial and might pop out to buy milk if the weather improves.

[ 08. March 2013, 08:26: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We got back about 14.30 from our trip to the mountains, where they are still growing tea and where the weather is still a tad cool [by our standards] at night. It was a good time and good fun and I took loads of photies and we ate loads and we walked a bit and we sat in the garden a bit and Pete did almost no exercise at all as he seemed to get pushed everywhere!

Yesterday morning I had a bowl of porage for breakfast but the bowls were rather small so this morning I had two bowls of porage for breakfast!

Nom-nom!

eta: one of the posher shops up there has a stall that sells freshly made cakes, all profit to a Special School locally so Pete and I did the charitable thing with carrot cake and honey and walnut tart.

[Big Grin]

[ 08. March 2013, 12:22: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Sounds like a lovely place to visit [Smile]
I am now in possession of some Jersey Gold Top and some Buffalo milk and am summoning up the courage to make cheese. Might try the Jersey first as it's high in fat so more likely to be successful!

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Tell me you didn't milk your own buffalo ... [Eek!]

Having decided that the chicken and tomato pasta thingy was rather good, I made a double batch of the tomato sauce, which is now in the freezer ready for the next time we have spare chicken. I even labelled the containers. [Cool]

Then I made lemon loaf CAKE, which is cooling as I type and should be ready for virtual tasting with your morning beverage*.

* presumably afternoon beverage in Wodders' case. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Lemon cake is GOOD! I shall help myself after my morning nap.

Much activity at our local temple today as there will be a festival tonight with one lakh [100,000] lamps lit come sunset! Much video will be recorded.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Tell me you didn't milk your own buffalo ... [Eek!]

Whilst our lifestyle does stretch to slaughtering the occasional chicken, I draw the line at keeping water buffalo in the garden. Wouldn't mind keeping a goat though.
The mozzarella was made, 3 balls are reminiscent of a grainy mozzarella, the first one is more like a small rubber ball. I did improve with practice though. Making ricotta from the whey was a complete failure though, no where near enough curds left in it.

Hmm, lemon cake, I could do with some of that. Just off out to teach about public health theory for 3 hours and need some sustenance.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'd booked yesterday afternoon off to work on the allotment, but by the time the morning came round it was pouring with rain. Probably still a quagmire underfoot today. It wasn't a great day anyway, I discovered just when I was hurrying to catch a train that my shoes had split, and then my mobile accidentally phoned a friend no less than 23 times quite early in the morning without my knowing it. In my flustered attempts to salvage that I then accidentally phoned my boss's mobile. I do hate these "soft keys".

Ah well, today is another day and at least it's not raining.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want to know where your rain is, I have it right here. except it's morphed into sleet on its way north.

Oh right, ten chaps have just wandered out from next door dressed in Welsh rugby strip. It's to be hoped they have the thermal undies underneath.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We have had the rain here, too, so much that the Lakshadeepam [100,000 lamps] has been delayed/postponed until Wednesday. We are really grateful for the rain that is much needed - if it rains for the next 48 hours I will be delighted!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... ten chaps have just wandered out from next door dressed in Welsh rugby strip. It's to be hoped they have the thermal undies underneath.

They can freeze for all I care - we got stuffed. [Frown]

Went to look for nice drawer-handles for the little drawer thingy today to discover that the handles aren't a standard size, and D. thinks it'd be too much of a faff to drill new holes, so I'm going to have to make do with painting the old (rather hideous) ones black in the hope that they don't show too much.

I'm trying out another slow-cooker pot-roast for tomorrow's lunch (tomorrow being Mothering Sunday, all the restaurants will be full of screaming brats). Chicken browned, stuffed with onion, lemon and a little tarragon, and put into slow-cooker with wine, stock and a few veggies ready to be switched on in the morning.

Bearing in mind that our clocks go forward tonight [Eek!] I hope one of us remembers to turn the bloody thing on ...

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

Went to look for nice drawer-handles for the little drawer thingy today to discover that the handles aren't a standard size, and D. thinks it'd be too much of a faff to drill new holes, so I'm going to have to make do with painting the old (rather hideous) ones black in the hope that they don't show too much.

Hand me that drill.

Roused from bed this morning by rattling on the windows - it was a mix of snow and hail. Stopped now, leaving a sifting of white.

It is definitely winter warmer weather: last night was pot roast with port gravy. Today I fancy doing something middle-eastern to a chicken. Yesterday at Lidl, I picked up some Siberian reindeer steaks. Put it this way, salad is a long way down the options at the moment.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Snowing here too and settling on the ground! And there was me feeling all Spring-like and actually having the chance to get out of the house this week.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yikes, yes, snow over a good bit of the country by the look of the snow map.
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Hey amber. nice to see you here!

No snow here PTL - as we only have half a roof!

A rather tearful Mother's Day for me - both boys far away and Mum not even aware she's a mother. Ho hum, pig's bum.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

(Hugs) My Mum died 4 years ago and I used to find Mother's Day very difficult.

[ 10. March 2013, 08:47: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Amber - good to see you! [Smile]

Sort of snowy drizzle here, but not settling. Yet. Tops (of the moors) are all white though, maybe we are just a fraction too low to get it.

Everybody's cooking adventures sound so delicious.
I've got terribly lazy in my old age, and stick to well-known, well-loved and tried recipes. Those that I know off by heart! Mr.N enjoys it, and eats every scrap, so who am I to start doing new, and possibly disliked, things??

Wish I could taste some of what Shippies are cooking though!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow here too - but that's what I expected.... in the Alps [Cool]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's fair ringing the changes here. There've been 3 or 4 falls since I got up - some sleety, some swirling - at the moment it's doing slow and feathery.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Frozen drizzle here too. Not the day for digging over the allotment (will I ever get it finished?).

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Put it this way, salad is a long way down the options at the moment.

I'm vegetarian-with-fish for Lent, so salad has been an option for a while already. But am about to embark on making imam bayildi and possibly some sort of red onion tart. Homemade tomato soup looks a possible option as well. That should see me through the first half of the week.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

No rain today, so far at least, and little chance of snow. [Big Grin]

Enjoy the Alps, daisydaisy.

My mum died on Lady Day 24 years ago this month - it seems impossible that it is really that long. These days the memories seem more to be on the sweet side with little pain involved though I still miss her all the time - she was a great repository of wonderful recipes.

[edited to correct keyboard malfunction - I think my wonderful "switch" keyboard is, after 12+ years, approaching the end of its days [Waterworks] ]

[ 10. March 2013, 11:04: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A postcard for you all from my non-skiing skiing holiday [Cool]

(Edited to fix link)

[ 10. March 2013, 22:49: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

This is the first Mothering Sunday that I've not had someone to send flowers to (although for a long time I was really sending them more for Dad's benefit, as my mum was in a similar situation to Boogie's). The two ladies who sit either side of me in the choir are both mothers, so when the servers came round with flowers I took a couple and gave one to each, which made them smile.

The pot-roast chicken was OK, but despite my efforts at flavouring, it was a bit bland; D. reckoned we'd just got a rather duff chicken. Anyhow, stock is being made with the bones and we'll have the meat that's left over (there wasn't much) with the tomato sauce and pasta on Tuesday.

PS Hello Amber! **waves** [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016