homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » English Spoken Here: 2013 (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: English Spoken Here: 2013
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The twins are here - hurrah!

Jack and Mary, born naturally, 7lb 5 and 7lb ten. I am a VERY proud great Aunty!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Many congrats Boogie. They're a really good size for twins!

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
...Do I need any spices or fresh herbs in the mushroom and garlic dish?...

I'd add some ginger and some turmeric, possibly a little chilli but not too much - I think ginger heat goes better with mushrooms than chilli heat. A spoon of ginger paste would be good but the one I had used fresh garlic chopped fairly coarsely and was the better for that. A bit of coriander leaf just before serving would be good.

Congratulations to Great Aunt Boogie!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huge congratulations, Great Auntie Boogie - that size is almost half-grown for twins! [Yipee]

I've had the laziest day imaginable today - the temperature's suddenly shot up to 22°, but feeling like 30 with the humidity, which I absolutely hate, so I vegged out in front of the tennis for most of the afternoon. I must be getting terribly soft in my old age - I found myself feeling quite lumpy round the throat when Laura Robson won her match and there was Much Rejoicing - it was the same that day when all those Brits won gold medals at the Olympics. God only knows what I'll be like if one wins a final ... [Eek!]

It's set to be even hotter tomorrow - up to 25°/33 Humidex but wet, and vegging out won't be an option as you can't take Sundays off when you're married to the organist ... [Big Grin]

Hmph. I want air-conditioning for my cassock.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Definitely a good weight for twins - my twin and I were about 5lbs lighter combined!

Lovely day today, we've just got back from a pleasant punt along the Cam.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Hot and Hormonal] My inner Dr Spooner got hold of that last comment I'm afraid. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
[Hot and Hormonal] My inner Dr Spooner got hold of that last comment I'm afraid. [Hot and Hormonal]

Naughty inner Dr Spooner. Mine needs some lessons: he took several goes to figure that out.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe the Reverand Doctor Spooner was at The Other Place, which was probably fortunate [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I believe the Reverand Doctor Spooner was at The Other Place, which was probably fortunate [Smile]

Dr Spooner was Warden of New College. By a neat symmetry his granddaughter was President of New Hall, in what is really The Other Place, and the first woman vice-chancellor of the University of Cambridge.

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't find the "Did the Earth Move for You" thread, so will post here that I attended my first Sung Eucharist this morning (Festival Sung Eucharist to celebrate and give thanks for the life of Mary Lily Walker (1883-1913)) at St Paul's Episcopal Cathedral, Dundee and it was glorious! I was enthralled.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
quote:

Dr Spooner was Warden of New College.
Are you sure he wasn't an expert botanist and hence proficient in Kew knowledge?

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

[Killing me]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dr Spooner was Warden of New College.
Are you sure he wasn't an expert botanist and hence proficient in Kew knowledge?
Alas no. I am pretty sure that he was a classicist, whose teeth would have been set on edge had he been able to see HA's form of the gerundive of reuereor; it is a second conjugation verb, not a first.

He also, reportedly, vehemently denied that he ever said 'those things' (sic).

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Alas no. I am pretty sure that he was a classicist, whose teeth would have been set on edge had he been able to see HA's form of the gerundive of reuereor; it is a second conjugation verb, not a first.

Alas, I didn't get the benefit of either an Oxford or Cambridge education and it shows in my grammar [Smile]
My other half refers to here as The Other Place and he even punts from the 'wrong' end of the boat.

[ 30. June 2013, 19:04: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I can't find the "Did the Earth Move for You" thread, so will post here that I attended my first Sung Eucharist this morning ...

Congratulations! Now try Choral Evensong - it's utterly sublime. [Smile]

I've just had a look at Dundee Cathedral's web-site to see what setting they were doing, but it didn't have a music list - I think we'll need to lend them our web-master ... [Big Grin]

I did, however, note that after Choral Evensong on the second Sunday of the month, they have "wine and nibbles". How very civilised!

I haven't the benefit of an Oxbridge education (I'm not nearly clever enough) but my Better Half did his postgrad teaching in Cambridge, and we go there whenever we get the chance, so chez Piglet, Oxford is definitely The Other Place.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Haven't been to choral evensong since I lived in London, I must visit Kings at some point.

Another glorious day here, I might take my books outside to study.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Boogie, for those weighty twins!

You lot in the south seem to be having nicer weather than us up 'ere. Pleasantly warm yesterday, but overcast today, and definitely (light) sweater weather.

Had to take a taxi to church yesterday. Horrendously expensive. On commenting on this to chatty taxi driver, was told all about the ginormous insurance he has to pay. But then on talking we discovered that insuring one taxi was about the same as insuring a newly-passed-their-test young driver.

Seems a rather unbalanced world, somehow. And I've negotiated a lift for next Sunday.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Still cardigan weather for the school run but it'll warm up soon. But cool for July!

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oxford and where? never heard of it.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Haven't been to choral evensong since I lived in London, I must visit Kings at some point ...

You certainly must - if I lived in Cambridge I'd be there at least once a week. Don't forget St. John's College too - they're every bit as good as King's, but without the hordes of tourists. More of a service, less of a performance, if you know what I mean.

I've had a lovely, lazy Canada Day holiday - it's very convenient that it coincides with Wimbledon. Was really getting into Andy Murray's match, and decided at the start of the third set that I'd have time to go and make lunch ...

I didn't - I came back to check on the score and the match had just finished. With the right result, but I'd missed it. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was supposed to go to The Big City today to buy a saucepan, and a few other things, but frankly I can't be bothered so I may to to Local Larger Town shortly or I may just slob about all day - but I have just ordered 3 movies on DVD online so not a totally wasted day. All oldies: West Side Story, All About Eve and Annie Hall - but all great movies, too and despite my lifestyle choice I've been madly in love with Diane Keaton for decades!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Real sweater weather today, but we are promised hot weather later this week and all next week. But that still sounds a bit like "jam tomorrow" to me!

All you very musical Shippies put me to shame! I haven't been to anything choral for I don't know how long. However, I did enjoy joining in to a brisk rendering of "Guide me, O Thou Great Jehovah" on Sunday morning!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Overcast here too, and rain expected later.

I'm not musical either, I love singing and have a good voice but was never taught to sing or play. But I do like to listen to beautiful music.

Another day of writing, I'm up to date with the study side but essay deadline looms. I need to compare two provided sources on interwar radio propaganda today (I think they are from Goebbels and Reith) and set them in context. The writings I have from the BBC from the period are wonderfully 'jolly hockey sticks' whilst the German comparative narrative is a scarily readable chapter on propaganda from Mein Kampf.

But first, a latte [Smile]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I bestirred myself and made it to Local Larger Town, mainly because if I didn't go my breakfast would be lacking in Almond Milk until I, or someone, bestirred themselves to go. It was okay and I got what I went for but not a saucepan as the sort we want seems to be only available in The Big City, but I might check online as well.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

V. nice dinner this evening at a restaurant just up the road from our house that we hadn't been to in ages, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Shared charcuterie platter to start, then chicken followed by rhubarb crumble for him, and lamb followed by cheeseboard and port for me.

Were greeted warmly by the chef/owner when we arrived and told him why we were there, and got complimentary glasses of bubbles to start.

Very civilised. [Smile]

Can't believe it's been a quarter of a century ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and no time off for good behaviour!

I think the thing about buses travelling in packs is a global phenomenon. Today I was in a pack of three and the other day I saw a pack of five! The bus company have recently announced that they are going install a GPS system on all their buses so they can get the system more efficient - I'll believe it when I see it.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Yipee] Happy Anniversary piglet! [Yipee] [Yipee]

I am off to my first puppy class with Tatze this morning. She's doing great. House trained, comes when called, sits, lies down, 'paw' etc. I want to find out how to get her to walk properly on the lead. She doesn't pull, but sniffs at every leaf so it takes ages to get anywhere!

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

My eldest son has a book on maths called 'why do buses come in threes?' [Smile]
I hope the training goes well, Boogie.

Another day of essay writing today but I should be free by this evening - yippee!

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Congratulations, Piglet! [Smile]

Hope training goes well, Boogie, but you do have to realise that every leaf is Very Important and each has a Different Smell!! [Biased]

All the smells for a dog on a walk is like reading a daily newspaper for them. Who, what and why!

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

I think the thing about buses travelling in packs is a global phenomenon. Today I was in a pack of three and the other day I saw a pack of five! The bus company have recently announced that they are going install a GPS system on all their buses so they can get the system more efficient - I'll believe it when I see it.

Buses can't help it! As soon as any bus slows down it will tend to pick up more passengers. Boarding & collecting fares takes time and as there are more passengers they will get off at more stops and take longer to get off. At these stops there will tend to be more passengers to get on (remember: it was already running late) slowing the bus further. Meanwhile the bus behind, if it is running to time, will have fewer passengers to pick up and they will ask to get off at fewer stops so it will tend to run faster. Unless that buses' driver is very careful he will close further on the late-running bus ahead.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there an ology for the study of bus grouping?

Coming up for air part way through 2 rather manic (but nicely so) weeks - it's not just buses that come in close groups!

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Please excuse mini-rant, but why, o why, can't British urban buses operate like everywhere else in Europe, where the driver doesn't have anything to do with issuing tickets because people buy them at kiosks, tobacconists, machines etc before joining? I know London is most of the way there, thanks to Oyster cards and prepaid tickets, but everywhere else is chaos. Largely of course because of Thatcher's deregulation, where even two companies sharing the same route don't have to charge the same fares (and can run two minutes behind a competitor then no more buses for another 20). Hummmpppph!!

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our friend was ordained as a priest on Saturday and we weren't able to make the service, so we went to her first Eucharist tonight. It was a very high Anglican service. All I can say is that I now think I'm definitely on the LOW end of MOTR - found myself thinking of Mystery Worship reports at some stages!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... buses travelling in packs ...

quote:
We always go in convoys, we're most gregarious
The driver and conductor of a London omnibus

(Flanders & Swann, Transport of Delight )

I spent the afternoon shouting at the television; fortunately for my blood-pressure, I didn't get home until almost the end of the third set, by which time Mr. Murray had started to play the way we'd like him to ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Did the television shout back?

I am a happy WW as something I ordered from UK has arrived intact and in double quick time [see Cricket thread if you are that interested].

Lots more rain overnight and a quite heavy shower this morning but bright and clear now - I hope that continues as I want to cycle into town this afternoon.

I'm thinking of getting a 7" Tablet PC, probably with Android OS, sometime to carry around with me - any thoughts, advice?

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Please excuse mini-rant, but why, o why, can't British urban buses operate like everywhere else in Europe, where the driver doesn't have anything to do with issuing tickets because people buy them at kiosks, tobacconists, machines etc before joining? I know London is most of the way there, thanks to Oyster cards and prepaid tickets, but everywhere else is chaos. ...

The West Midlands is to get a smart card system. [Smile]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

So is Merseyside, but it is meeting with unexplained delays.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Because the English seem to be incapable of buying them at kiosks etc. It was tried in Sheffield on the trams when they first came out. The trams made more money when they put on conductors to issue tickets!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am pretty sure that Manchester trams still work this way?

I miss the saverstrip (or 'kerchinga'): a prepaid card that you pushed into a standing punch machine, making a ker-ching sound and removing a circle of cardboard. You can imagine what the bus floor looked like after being boarded by hoards of children though, and they were phased out in the 90s

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

Very warm today, I'm going to spend the afternoon studying in the sun [Smile]
Yesterday I took delivery of a beginners hula hoop as I want to do more exercise but it has to be low impact as I have a genetic osteo-arthritis. The hoop is huge, 40 inches diameter. I had my first go for 5 mins yesterday and 10 mins this morning and I managed 54 rotations in one go. Not bad for a novice who has never hooped. However, the hoop is too big for indoors and I have to hoop on the patio and, boy, was it hot out there!

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep - you have to buy a ticket from the tram stop before you board the tram. Unfortunately this also means re-mortgageing your house to afford said ticket.

And then they'll cancel the tram.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
However, the hoop is too big for indoors and I have to hoop on the patio and, boy, was it hot out there!

Good luck with it. You'll soon start to build up stamina and be able to keep going for longer.

It's been a glorious day today - spent part of the afternoon in the shade of a tree by the river, watching the world go by. Cloudless sky, though a rather pale colour, sunlight, a light breeze, and warmth, glorious sun-drenched warmth.

Heat bouncing back off the pavements, the smells of spicy food wafting out of alleyways, the unmistakable smell of bins and stale booze, the sound of a hundred languages, almost none of which are English, music drifting out of doors and windows, crowds of tourists all over the pavements, some people wandering round in the skimpiest possible clothing while others are still wearing fleeces, hats, etc: summer has arrived in the city.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Summer had certainly arrived on the South Bank as I strolled back to Waterloo after a day of training up in the smoke. I wish I could have dawdled longer, but I have to get ready for tomorrow.... I'm singing at the O2 (and if that means anything to anyone, perhaps we could meet up!)
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sent you a pm daisydaisy!
Sun is shining in the sky, there ain't a cloud in sight!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It was a hot and sticky 25° today, so when I got home from w*rk I settled down on the sofa with an electric fan cooling the air and cheered the magnificent Mr. Murray into the final.

My mum loved watching Wimbledon; I'd like to think that she's cheering from Heaven, and perhaps getting a commentary direct from Dan Maskell ... [Smile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Up and off to the allotment by 8 am this morning to get some watering done, before the heat kicks in, and to put in a new tomato plant I was given.

I was the first person to arrive at the plots on a lovely golden morning. The birds were singing their little hearts out, everything was green and lush and the leaves were glowing in the light. One of those days when everything seems full of life, and you feel glad to be alive.

Heat is building up nicely now. The warmth and light have transformed the town into somewhere much further south in Europe, with tables and chairs springing up on the pavements outside cafes, and luxuriant plants and flowers everywhere, and people generally moving at the slower pace of summer life; no point rushing in this heat.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I've spent the day at the school fete, it has been gloriously sunny, unlike last year when we were having to hold the marquees down and the wind ripped a large tear in my festival marquee. Big sales on the watermelon stand this year [Smile] I was responsible for collecting surplus money from stalls and we have done very well indeed - the PTA is saving up for a mini bus.
Just rehydrating now with a cup of tea and contemplating whether our homemade blackberry whisky liqueur would be nice with some soda and ice...

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our town's annual carnival today. It was universally acknowledged to be A Glorious Day For It, which in Nenspeak means Far Too Hot. [Roll Eyes]

Nen - now also rehydrating with a cup of tea.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I was standing outside a new restaurant in town at lunchtime today reading the menu, when the manager came out, explained that it was a training day and they weren't opening properly until Tuesday, but if I liked, I could come in and have a free meal.

Well, it would have been rude to say no, wouldn't it?

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope it was a really good meal!

It's been far too hot here. Probably compounded by having the oven on from about 2pm till 9pm due to much baking for a cricket tea to be consumed tomorrow (plus tonight's dinner). For some reason, there's a list of the baking on the cricket thread... The coolest room in the flat was about 25-26 degrees [Eek!]

Personally, I'm going to spend a large chunk of tomorrow watching a tennis match indoors in the shade, whilst Sandemaniac goes and runs about playing cricket.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wise woman, CK.

It hit 28° here today, with a Humidex of 35. I've just looked up the Fahrenheit equivalents - 83°, feeling like 95. [Eek!] There was a sort of haze from a dust-cloud that's apparently been floating our way from Quebec, without which it would have been even hotter ...

I don't often say hurrah for the Quebecois, but today I'll make an exception. [Big Grin]

We've got a visiting choir from Maryland singing Evensong tomorrow - they're here for Festival 500 and happened to call in to look at the Cathedral when I was volunteering on Thursday. When they said they'd like to come and sing, I phoned D. and he came and arranged things with their conductor. Obviously we're going to feed them afterwards, so my sole venture out of the house today was to the (mercifully air-conditioned) supermarket to get in a few things for drinks and nibbles.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016