homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » English Spoken Here: 2013 (Page 32)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: English Spoken Here: 2013
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh good further evidence that history around then was not simply Protestant vs Catholic. I already know Roman Catholic nobility were amongst the plotters. The people who were most cautious of joining in were Presbyterians!

Jengie

[ 15. July 2013, 13:12: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a glorious St Swithin's day! And according to one long range weather forecast, it looks like we will have 40 days of fine weather. Looks like I'll be watering the veggies rather more than I needed to last year.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure you'll all be worrying about drought conditions before too long!

Still copious rain here but happily I managed a dry spell this afternoon cycling into town and back to pick up something from the courier.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The weather in London has been horrible for the last few days. Far too hot, far too sunny. I dislike it quite intensely.

The excessiveheat and light encourage my already strong tendencies to go nocturnal and sit up all night drinking cold cider [Biased] Mornings are even more unpleasant than usual, and the hours after midnight are by far that best time to be up and about. Not very conducive to getting in to work on time!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
What a glorious St Swithin's day! And according to one long range weather forecast, it looks like we will have 40 days of fine weather ...

40 days of "fine" weather would be grand - but if it's still going to be nudging 30° when I come over next week, it'll ruin my holiday (possibly except the bit I spend in Scotland). [Frown]

It's 30° here today - I want to escape from this kind of weather! [Eek!]

hyperborealean, cool-loving piglet

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had to take my lovely old cavalier spaniel, Gavin, to be put to sleep today. His back legs finally gave up on him at 15 years old. He went very peacefully in my arms.

Sleep well my lovely boy.

[Frown]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very sorry Boogie.

Know how you feel. Our 15 yr old Yorkie had to be put to sleep recently and we held him as he died.

Prayers for you.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
The weather in London has been horrible for the last few days. Far too hot, far too sunny. I dislike it quite intensely.

The excessiveheat and light encourage my already strong tendencies to go nocturnal and sit up all night drinking cold cider [Biased] Mornings are even more unpleasant than usual, and the hours after midnight are by far that best time to be up and about. Not very conducive to getting in to work on time!

You would approve of Colin Ingleby-Mackenzie, Hampshire's cricket captain when they won the county championship in 1963. He had a firm disciplinary grip and insisted his players were all in bed by breakfasttime.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here on the north-west coast the wind has been coming from the north for the last couple of days, so though the sun is hot the weather has been bearable (low twenties). Getting hotter again though. I like the heat but it saps energy.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, really sorry to hear about poor old Gavin, he was a lovely dog and I enjoyed your pictures. Wishing you comfort, I know you'll miss him.

As for the weather - I've said what I think elsewhere, but after six miserable protracted months of winter with relentless ice and interminable, horrible grey skies, and a washout summer last year, it's wonderful to have a real summer at long last. All the benefits of Mediterranean weather without having to pay to go abroad [Biased]

It's great to be able to get my summer clothes out of the wardrobe again, too - they never got a look-in last year.

amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sad news, Boogie.
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Really sorry to hear about Gavin, Boogie - that's so sad [Frown] How is Tatze coping without her playmate?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry to hear about Gavin - from the pictures he was a lovely dog. RIP. [Frown]

At 30° we were the coldest place in Atlantic Canada today. [Eek!] Fortunately it's supposed to go down to a much more civilised 17° tomorrow.

PS Hello Amber! **waves**

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, I'm very sorry to hear about Gavin - I know he had a long and wonderful life and I am still sad to hear the news. I am sure he'll be there at those Pearly Gates to welcome you when the time comes, possibly peeing on the gateposts!

During the night I thought of something I had to post here and now I haven't the vaguest idea what it was. I doubt it was very important.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to hear your news Boogie [Frown]

My eldest came back from a school trip to Normandy over the weekend - apparently the food in France is awful and he really missed my cooking! He was staying in a hostel so I'm guessing it wasn't entirely representative.
I've been rather addicted to Rick Stein's India programme so dh bought me the book as part of my birthday pressies over the weekend. I made whole eggs with coconut masala from it yesterday, served with homemade naan and followed by nimish and it was all rather moreish. I used some of PeteC's chilli powder. I don't know why I've never made flatbread before as I bake bread several times a week.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry to hear about Gavin - hugs for you Boogie. (Drat, there's no emoticon for hugs!)
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all so much for your kind words.

Here is one of his final photos, by the back door on squirrel duty.

When I introduced my brother to puppy Tatze he said "Gavin will be able to go in peace now as he knows you have her to look after you". The day before Gavin died they were both by the door on squirrel watch. How right my brother was [Frown] . I so wish I had taken a photo.

I have cried a river. The house is so quiet and empty without him, he has been my little waggy shadow for 15 years. Never a problem, always a joy. It was very sudden in the end, no warning, he went downhill in a day - which is a blessing in its own way.

I am so glad Tatze got to meet him and learn from him - he taught her good manners from a very early age. I'm also so pleased we have Tatze - I couldn't begin to contemplate getting a puppy now and I know it would have taken me some years. She also gave him companionship in what turned out to be his last weeks. She misses him and keeps looking in all his sleep places (he had plenty!) Since Callum died he has slept by my bed and looked up often to check I was still there. Now it's me looking at the empty space and missing him.

I love the 'rainbow bridge' tale - I know its a myth but it is so comforting when you lose a pet, they really are one of the family.

[ 16. July 2013, 11:01: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's very sad news, Boogie. Cavs always have that look of being on duty. There are quite a few around here, and they walk along dutifully with their families. It's good that you've been able to bring Tatze into your house and settled in as you did; and that Gavin started her education so well.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've just had a hissy fit here at home [Hot and Hormonal]

I had said earlier that I didn't want any supper then I got called to supper! Okay, okay I ate a little bit but I also made it known that when I say I don't want then I really don't want - I keep on getting urged to eat, eat when really I don't want to eat! Pete knows what it is like here.

...and yes, it was delicious!

eta: that's part of the problem, the food here is usually pretty darned good, it is all delicious - there is just too much of it - and I am a complete piggy when it comes to food.

[ 16. July 2013, 15:12: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... really I don't want to eat ...

Are you quite well? [Eek!]

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very sorry to hear about Gavin, Boogie. [Frown]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... really I don't want to eat ...

Are you quite well? [Eek!]
Themselves are getting quite good at offering soup and a bun for supper, at least when I am there.

Wellness, for Wodders, is relative.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Wellness, for Wodders, is relative.

Relative to his digestive system? [Smile]

{{{Boogie}}}

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, that was as lousy a night's sleep as I can recall for a long time so today's trip to the next city north of here for a speedometer cable is postponed at least until tomorrow - I think it was my ears burning from all the comments posted here about my eating habits that kept me awake, or possibly that I forgot to take my tablets last night.

Today is the first day of what is know in the local calendar as The Dark Month which is also the month when the Ramayana is recited in its entirety in temples all across India, I can hear it as I type this, our local temple is just 150 metres away. In this state The Dark Month is usually associated with lots of rain and we certainly had a lot during the night though the weather is now dry and bright.

Ah well, breakfast time!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Poor you, Wodders - there are few things more frustrating than not getting a decent night's sleep. Try having a bowl of cereal before you go to bed - it sounds daft but it sometimes works.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Poor you, Wodders - there are few things more frustrating than not getting a decent night's sleep. Try having a bowl of cereal before you go to bed - it sounds daft but it sometimes works.

Yes, I have an oakcake and can't sleep without!

Odd but true.

[Smile]

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yes, I have an oakcake and can't sleep without!

I hope its bite is better than its bark! [Razz]

[ 17. July 2013, 18:19: Message edited by: Nicodemia ]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Two problems with the cereal idea:

- the only cereal stuff we have is porage and I'd have to cook that; and

- I am seriously trying to eat less before they start calling the whale rescue people to put me back in the sea!

Thankfully sleep has become easier again - I think it is just one of those transient things but, of course, when lying awake in the wee hours it takes on titanic proportions.

After the fun with Himself's mum being in hospital a couple of nights it is now one of Himself's sister who needs a thyroidectomy - details and arrangements to be given next week, possibly when I am away.

It is all go round here!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sorry for the DP.

We have just had a mid-evening flurry of activity doing simple things like tidying the kitchen and reattaching the big cooker to a gas supply which means that, when we get the cooker serviced, I can bake again! I can try some diabetic cookies for Himself and I was thinking of flapjack [UK meaning, not US meaning] for me - and possibly for Herself if she likes them. I can also make cakes again, I haven't made any of those for ages!

Goes hunting for recipes...

Yes, some great ones on the interwebby thing for Diabetic Cookies and so on, some already printed out for our recipe collection - FAB!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And oatmeal cakes - or muffins, or cookies. Very flexible that recipe which I gave you, yea, these many years ago.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Did someone mention CAKE? [Big Grin]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According o the weather forecast in the paper ("The Western Mail") today, the weekend might be merely warm rather than hot, and there is a risk of showers and/or thunder next week. Sorry people, but this hot spell has resulted in three weeks sick leave as it has affected my walking and energy levels, and I would love some rain and thunder! But not tomorrow please, as it is the wedding of one of Lord P's friends, and we are all invited, which is why Lord P's Lady has been staying with us this week.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd like a thunderstorm so I didn't have to go round and water the allotment myself.

Mine's got a bit of a desert theme - little green oases of lush green vegetation, surrounded by expanses of dry, cracked earth with dust blowing across the dunes.

Tomorrow I shall be having the first of this season's courgettes, beetroot and some spinach. It's a lovely feeling to have grown these myself but actually it also feels a bit sad to uproot the beetroot (and spuds in due course) and come back to a gap the next day. I know they're meant to be eaten, but I've enjoyed watching them grow and flourish from tiny seedlings to full-grown plants.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

We're heading over to Blighty on Sunday night and we'll be with D's parents in Essex for the first week. The prospect of it being 35° is ruining my holiday before it even starts. [Waterworks]

However, the hire car's been booked, and it's got air-conditioning, thank God.

With any luck the following weekend in Edinburgh and the week after in Orkney will be a bit more civilised ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't worry Piglet, I spent the day in Essex today, and its definitely cooling down now.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

GR, I can't tell you how comforting that is! I've been packing all my lightest-weight clothes and panicking about how uncomfortable I'm going to be ...

I've also made some CAKE; my father-in-law is recovering from surgery and has been told he must eat as much as possible to keep his strength up, so D. suggested I made a raisin CAKE to take to him (and it would use up the eggs).

The recipe makes two though, so there's plenty to go round - help yourselves.

I'll probably pop my head round the door occasionally over the next three weeks, but my in-laws' computer is a lap-top, which I hate, and my father's one was used by Moses when he was writing down the Ten Commandments ... [Big Grin]

Be good while I'm away, keep calm and put the kettle on. [Smile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Pack them anyway, Piglet. Temperatures are going back up from Monday and we expect humidity plus thunderstorms. The heatwave is breaking up, but be prepared for variety (= umbrella! don't forget to pack an umbrella!)

Still, it's been lovely while it lasted - dry heat without humidity, lots of sunlight, a summer to remember. It's been great to rediscover light summer clothes which have languished at the bottom of the wardrobe for two years, and to get out of the seemingly endless round of the same old non-summer stuff. I used to like winter, but it just seems to drag on for months on end these days.

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best birthday present ever - a Panini press. Yesterday was brie and cranberry sauce for lunch, today mozzarella, tomato and pesto. I could get to like this [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Time to get my life back after a busy week.

Monday was the induction of a new Vicar (with rehearsals on Sunday) then a weloming BBQ on Teusday.

Thursday was the graduation of our son-in-law, so a meal out - a good one - payed for by us.

And through this no respite from the daily grind or trying to keep up with sporting news.

So a very good week, but I could do with a rest and a diet.

((sorry to hear about Gavin, Boogie))

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Chive - what's a panini press? I've got a small grill thing that squashes them. Is that the same?? [Confused]

All these days called "the hottest day of the year so far" are getting me down. Sorry, you sun-lovers, but hot sun and advanced years do not go together. [Frown]

Agreeable church yesterday, but they dug up some songs (known as choruses there)I hadn't sung for at least 15 years! One should have remained buried!

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Sorry, you sun-lovers, but hot sun and advanced years do not go together. [Frown]

Speak for yourself! [Smile]

Actually yesterday was quite cool here (21 degrees) and the sun didn't show its face for more than a few minutes. Thunderstorms on the way I'm told.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As my years advance I find I am hating the cold more and more - I can cope with the cool here okay, most of the time, but then I am talking low 20s Celsius. Really cold weather, like in UK the last three times I've been there, makes my old joints want to seize up - which is no fun!

I've spent much of the day catching up on my sleep after a weekend away and knowing I am heading off again tomorrow about this time until Friday with a night on a train, a night in an hotel and a night on a train so I think I'll nap much of Friday when I get back.

I like sleep!

I like food, too and ate fairly well whilst away, but home cooking is definitely the best.

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thunderstorm at 6 this morning with the loudest thunder I can remember for many a year, and lightning and thunder almost simultaneous. It sounded like next door's house was exploding.

Luckily it was only for about half an hour, and the rain had stopped when I left for work at 7.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You must be near me!

We had impressive thunder and lightning and a refreshing hour or so of rain. But at work in Westminster half an hour later I got blank looks when I mentioned it. Very localised!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had the thunder, and Kew, which is just up the road apparently had over 7cm of rain, but there was nary a drop in our neighbourhood. My courgettes looked very sad when I got back from work.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's raining - at long last - and I won't have to water the allotment. [Big Grin]

And the Royal Baby is finally here! [Yipee] Bring on the photos, the special supplements, commemorative mugs, specially minted coins, and the day off.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Superb rumbles of thunder, and the occasional flash of lightning here, but no rain. Today is a no-watering day at the allotment, so I pumped water to hal-fill a barrel for tomorrow's watering.... if it doesn't rain.
I've often driven through very localised heavy rain and thought it would be great to have a rain-gathering gadget on the car - a tray on the roof draining into tanks in the car that I could just drive to the allotment where there hasn't been any rain. Dragons Den beckons?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

'Crack of Dawn' was literal here this morning! Huge thunderstorm and torrential rain. Still raining now, but in a more moderate manner. Hopefully our water butt will be filled, and all my plants look very much happier.

Pleased the Royal Baby has arrived safely, with hopefully the correct number of toes, fingers etc. But no, I don't want a special mug, tea towel, plaque, supplement or family tree. I suppose, gloomily, the shops are going to be full of everything nauseous from now on until he is given a name.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huge thunderstorm in the middle of the night and another around 5 or 6 this morning. It was pouring down when I left to walk to school but warm and steamy ten minutes later when I got there. We had new fascias and drains fitted yesterday and are very pleased with the result, no more leaky drains.
I'm finishing my marking here today and then prepping for a telephone job interview for tomorrow.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Just about to get dressed and head off for the night train to Smelly City on the Other Coast as I need to consult the British Deputy High Commission and it has to be done in person. I might even try a bit of sightseeing now I've realised how close I will be staying to the historic bit.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016