homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » English Spoken Here: 2013 (Page 51)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: English Spoken Here: 2013
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made a draught excluder dog for my husband's grandmother for Christmas a few years ago, her old one was falling to pieces. Most department stores sell similar.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
(Why doesn't the spell check like the words 'draught' or excluders'?)

Your spell check may prefer the American spelling 'draft'.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A kindly fellow-host pointed out to me that my link to George Street in St. John's was banjaxed (probably because of the apostrophe in St. John's), so here is a better one.

I'm not likely to be going very far for the next while; the foot or so of sn*w that they've been promising us for the last few days began during Evensong and it's looking very, um, festive.

With any luck it'll still be festive enough for a sn*w-day tomorrow ...

The lights just flickered a smidgen - a power-cut's the last thing you need when it's -3° and your house is heated by electricity. [Eek!]

I've thought about draught-excluders for the den, although I don't think I've ever seen one in a shop. I remember having to make one in the shape of a snake when I was in primary school, but that would send D. running for the hills - he's very reptilophobic (and I can't say I'm wild about them either). I quite like the wee sausage-dog idea, but I'm no seamstress, and even less of an artist.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've seen those sausage dog draught excluders too - we made one for my grandmother years ago, who kept a couple of dachshunds, and at the time lived in a draughty house. I've found some online instructions, which I'll be good and post on the craft thread in Heaven.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like this one. [Smile]

Or this one (ducks) [Smile]

Now then piglet - you know I should be cake making for the Camera Club Christmas party, and here you are holding me up looking for draught excluders!

[ 16. December 2013, 09:13: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night when Pete and I were chatting to some kids [mid to late teens] on the way back from our evening walk they were interested in how cold it was in Canada when Pete left last Thursday and he said that including windchill it was about -30C - a figure so far beyond their comprehension as to be laughable. One of them then remarked to me that when it gets down to what passes as cold here [anything below about +22C] his teeth start chattering!

[Hot and Hormonal]

Poor little lamb!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anything above +22C here and people complain about the heat.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Effective draught excluders here have been made out of knee high socks and old towels. A pair of socks and towel per draught excluder. Not necessarily pretty, but definitely functional.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made a couple of draught excluders from some of the myriad scarves that people sent me as gifts when we moved here and it SNOWED one winter. Sewn up and stuffed with various laddered tights, mismatched socks etc they do the job well.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally, finally, got my replacement season ticket, the magnetic strip having failed on a brand-new one.

It's only taken 5 days, 3 visits to 3 different railway stations, 2 personal visits to speak to staff, 2 phone calls, 2 emails and a bunch of tweets. This lunchtime I went to the next station on my list and rather disconcertingly, they just issued me with a replacement there and then.

I really was on the verge of cancelling the entire thing but God bless that member of staff for his common sense.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Strange weather continued today - in the shade it was, for here, decidedly cool, but in the sun it was baking! It felt quite odd walking along a tree lined road.

The local public health inspector called today - as part of my residence thingy apparently I have to be checked for malaria, filiarisis [spelling?], dengue and chikunguniya - which means a needle!!!

[Eek!]

He is coming back next week some time with a gallon jar to take the sample.

eta: do you think I can ask for a general anaesthetic?

[ 17. December 2013, 12:56: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Now then piglet - you know I should be cake making for the Camera Club Christmas party, and here you are holding me up looking for draught excluders!

Mea maxima culpa. [Hot and Hormonal] Love the ducks though! [Smile]

Well, the snow happened - about a foot of it - but because it had stopped actually falling by the morning and the Council snow-wombles had ploughed the roads (leaving bloody great heaps of snow along the edge of the pavement) we didn't get a snow-day.

What the hell use is snow if you don't get a snow-day? [Mad]

It looks as if I'm going to be kept busy producing the order of service for the Bishop's installation. It's not for another four weeks, but, as the Dean pointed out, four weeks with Christmas in the middle of it isn't really four weeks at all ... [Eek!]

At least I'm on holiday for two weeks from next Monday, so I'll have a wee bit more time (famous last words).

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have (just about) finished writing our Christmas cards. That this has been done a) in time for the last posting date*, and b) at all, is no doubt a portent of Canadian levels of snow here any time now. Sorry about that everyone [Smile]

* UK posting date anyway, the foreign ones will be late. Maybe the snow will be averted after all.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I ordered something online the other day and today got a call from the courier to come and collect it so I headed off to town to collect a squidgy package about 8 inches by 6 inches by 3 inches, all very nicely done up...

...possibly a bit over-the-top for a single SD memory card for my camera!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Pete and I went to an event in the grounds of the local temple tonight - some of the local women put on a dance show of what I think is called Thiruvadivar - it was most impressive! I think most of the village was there, had they been charging for tickets it would have been a sell-out!

One of Himself's old teachers was there and told Pete and I where to sit and, because I was taking video, bossed all the kids from blocking my view - once a teacher, always a teacher!

Sometimes I feel immensely privileged to be living here.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

One of the girls in our choir had a baby yesterday; I was accosted in the queue for Tim Horton's at w*rk by the proud grandparents.

Obviously, a picture of the new little bundle duly appeared on Facebook, as have those of several of my friends' new little bundles, and it set me (as a non-parent) thinking - do babies come out with those little woolly hats on, and if so, who knits them?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One of the girls in our choir had a baby yesterday
Not actually in the choir stalls, I hope!

Mummy Stork knits those bonnets, of course! Who else?? [Big Grin]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In our neck of the woods, the Cathedral Ladies knit the caps! Be afraid, Piglet, be very afraid!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At our local hospital the hats aren't knitted, but ingenously made out of a strip of tubigrip! Not particularly pretty, but I have kept it as it is a sweet reminder of a bonkers day!

Crappy weather here. I think I could cope with -5 (or whatever), it's the constant rain I could be doing without.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whoever knits them, I wish they'd taken just a second longer to finish them off in a way that did NOT involve binding the top with a big rubber band off a very large newspaper. Used.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several ladies round here knit teeny tiny clothes for prem babies (and for those that didn't quite make it...at least they can be dressed in something that was "theirs" and their parents have that tiny bit of positivity in their memories). It is a real ministry of love.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
In our neck of the woods, the Cathedral Ladies knit the caps! Be afraid, Piglet, be very afraid!

I think I'm probably safe - I can claim complete lack of talent when it comes to knitting.
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Not actually in the choir stalls, I hope!

Mercifully, no. [Eek!]

I've had quite a busy day; I made the pancetta pasta thing for lunch, then got stuck in with making foodie Christmas presents, starting with kipper pâté. A friend had given me a huge box of what he said were frozen kippers*, so I got stuck in, defrosting, de-boning (why do they need so many bones?) and whatnot. Unfortunately, when I tasted it, it really wasn't like my kipper pâté at all - it managed to be simultaneously over-salty and bland. The remainder of the box will be discreetly disposed of, and a tin of proper kipper fillets has been bought ...

I had a happier experience with the red-pepper jelly, which is now cooling in the cute little jars that D. found in the dollar-store.

Chicken-liver pâté, tablet and tiffin will follow in the next couple of days. Thank heaven I've got the next two weeks off w*rk.

* They looked like kippers, but I'm beginning to think that what a Newfoundlander calls a kipper is not what I think it is ... [Eek!]

edited for tpynig

[ 22. December 2013, 02:12: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been busy too - apart from all the tidying (see decluttering) I've got the tree up, made tiffin and demi-buckwheat pancakes, and touched up the sort-of spring clean I did a coupla weeks ago. Just got hazelnut meringue to go. Feeling smug - something is bound to go wrong!

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How industrious you all are. [Overused] I don't do anything homemade at Christmas. Used to. Part of Christmas when I was a kid but old enough to help was making the cake in October and then our own pastry for sausage rolls and mince pies whilst listening to Carols From Kings on Christmas Eve. One year we made our own mincemeat. And stollen. Now I Buy Everything.

Nen - curled up in front of Songs of Praise on TV. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I make the wrapping paper [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I rashly embarked on a "quick" tidy up and clean of the place this morning. Several hours later I'm still at it and the place looks like an explosion in a jumble sale.

However, it will look great by the end of the evening and when I crawl out of bed tomorrow the flat will look altogether better. Nothing else left to do now apart from buy my Christmas lunch in a day or so.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I can't say I've achieved anything constructive on the Christmas preparation front today, but I did discover that in an emergency I can sing the soprano solo in the Magnificat of Stanford in G. Our usual soloist has got herself a filthy wee bug and D. asked me if I thought I could do it. I really didn't know if I could, and it starts by flying up to a top G, [Eek!] but the Almighty was on my side and it didn't turn out to be nearly as hard as I'd thought.

It also triggered a huge Decanal Grin™.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet, I am so impressed - our resident music co-ordinator restricts himself to writing stuff at D and below because he knows our limitations!

[Overused]

And Ariel, well done on the decluttering, for not losing heart half-way through and just stuffing the Stuff back into wherever it came from!

[Overused]

I made stollen last year and it would probably have made a better doorstop than food; but I have been practising yeast cookery and have promised myself that Christmas Eve shall be devoted to making a Paul Hollywood couronne for Christmas breakfast - wish me luck! [Help]

Mrs. S, girding her lions [Smile]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, this is possibly the first Christmas that I have actually been ready in time.
This may be because: we are going to my sister's so I don't have to worry about getting food in; they don't eat nice things (alas) so there was no point in doing any baking; the boy has steadfastly prevaricated so long about getting the decorations in out of the shed that it's too late to decorate the house at all; my ambition to have the flat clean and shiny to return home to has been thwarted by a load of stuff having to be brought in off the patio to dry having been accidentally left out there in torrential rain.

So all I had to do was buy and wrap presents and write cards. Sorted.

The horrendous weather forecast has thwarted our plans for this morning, so we're having a rather pleasant lie in before setting out to my sister's later.

It gives me a rather nice opportunity to wish everyone here a lovely, peaceful and joy-filled Christmas. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness knows why that appeared twice. It is probably because I am so not-in-a-rush I've got time to post it twice.

A bit like Santa - writing a post, sending it twice.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

It gives me a rather nice opportunity to wish everyone here a lovely, peaceful and joy-filled Christmas.

And to you Smudgie [Big Grin]

We are having an upside down Christmas as Boogielet2 is working on boxing day so has to travel home on Christmas day (his shifts start at 4am).

So Christmas eve will be our Christmas day. Then we drive/cook/wait on etc for the meal at Church for people who would be otherwise alone. After that we have been invited to our friends for an evening Christmas meal.

The good news is I don't do any cooking - with three 'foodie' men in the house I don't get to sniff the cooker. The bad news is I seem to spend a lot of time washing up!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, there are only the two of us here for Christmas, so I am ready and waiting! [Biased]

Its rather sad, just us two, but rest of family seem to be whooping it up in London. Its been a very difficult year, and getting worse, so I really hope the London contingent have a good time.

I made a gluten-free stollen one year, it was very nice, but didn't stay in a nice neat round cake, but spread alarmingly, to twice the size in the oven, coming out very stollen like but rather flat!!

A diabetic husband has entreated me not to repeat the experiment! [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As Mrs Sioni works full-time in Retail Hell (she finishes 4pm on Xmas eve) preparation time for the full family Christmas is short. Naturally enough I have tasks but my main one is ensuring the Boys (younger sons, age 17 and 21) pull their weight over the next couple of days.

Remaining to be done are:

0 - generall tidying and cleaning
1 - curry puffs
2 - bread rolls
3 - mince pies
4 - baking the gammon
5 - ensuring sufficient booze is in
6 - getting a couple more presents for middle son, who always loses because it's his birthday on 28th Dec
7 - preparing the turkey, and all that jazz

Although we have mincemeat, pies will have to wait, and we have some in the freezer from last year if anyone is desperate. Item 7 is no problem so long as the bird is defrosted in time as everyone joins in for a merry hour, on the day, preparing veg, making pigs in blankets and the stuffing. It works every year, save when the turkey was rock solid on Christmas morning so we sat down to eat at 6pm and younger daughter fainted into her dinner.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Retail Hell indeed out there. I've just spent 25 minutes in a traffic jam in the supermarket car park. 10 minutes of that was realizing I'd made a mistake coming in as there were no parking spaces, and another 15 queuing for the exit. I've never seen such a logjam. Weather is getting up, but will be going on foot later on.

[ 23. December 2013, 09:11: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I make the wrapping paper [Big Grin]

[Eek!] [Overused] [Eek!] [Overused] [Eek!] [Overused]

We discovered yesterday evening that there are no nibbles (nuts, crisps, etc) chez Nen apart from pretzels so I'll need to venture near a shop today. Also taking Nenlet2 out to lunch.

Our Christmas is slightly upside down as well, due to Nenlet1 and her husband wanting us all round to their new house on the afternoon of The Day. As we always see friends for mulled wine and mince pies in the morning this rather jiggers The Midday Lunch so Mr Nen, Nenlet1 and I are having The Meal in the evening tomorrow and I'm doing a simpler, one pan lamb recipe (from the Hairy Dieters' Cookbook) on The Day. Then we are all round to Nenlet1's in-laws for Boxing Day supper.

That's if we aren't all blown away first - it's blowing a hooley out there and the rain... [Eek!]

Nen - off to check the weather forecast.

[ 23. December 2013, 09:18: Message edited by: Nenya ]

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're still in cleaning mode, I've just finished the hall and dh is cleaning the bathroom. He needs to drop some mini kegs of beer at his parents and then we'll both tackle the kitchen. Tomorrow will be cleaning free! My children are currently absorbed in Minecraft and shouting on Skype at their friends.
We'll be at the inlaws Christmas Day but on Boxing Day I get to cook our own Christmas dinner for dh's brothers and spouses. I'm doing a spicy leg of lamb from a Rick Stein recipe in 'India', accompanied by potatoes roasted in Bombay spices and a cabbage and carrot curry. There's also dahl for the vegetarian brother, probably chick pea. Starters is his recipe for curried eggs which I love and we are having nimish for pudding, with some alcoholic raspberries from the liqueurs I made. I might make some shortbread to accompany it. I'm really looking forward to it, I never get a chance to cook what I want at Christmas as we are always at the inlaws as my parents are both deceased.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shopping - Done

Cooking - On schedule

Wrapping presents -Done

Putting up decorations - Mr T doing this

Cleaning and Tidying - Not Done

Putting away this mornings food shopping - Not Done

Grandaughter is fretting about whether Granny can cope. Cheeky little so and so. I'm sure she means well [Roll Eyes] Not worried about Grandad as far as I know.

[ 23. December 2013, 12:09: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

Here at Casa Nen the combination of rain and wind direction has brought water through the roof of our (single storey) study - a problem we've had in the past but which we thought and hoped was fixed. So Mr Nen is out on the roof now trying to see where it's getting in and hoping to plug the hole temporarily with mastic. [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

In other news, I've had a foray to the local shops and once I'd managed to park had a very pleasant stroll round the small high street supermarket, purchasing nibbles, cheeses, dips, and a Real Proper Chocolate Log with Frosting - the sort that has to be kept in the fridge. [Big Grin]

Nen - trusting that's the last shopping trip this side of Christmas.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I said to someone in the queue at the supermarket just now I'd spent 25 minutes trying to leave the car park in another supermarket to which she replied that last year she had been stuck in a jam at another supermarket for an hour and a quarter.

This is crazy as the shops are only closed on Christmas Day and open again 24 hours later.

(I note that Scrooge managed to buy a turkey for the Cratchits on Christmas Day itself. We aren't told whether Mrs Cratchit was properly grateful for the surprise arrival of a enormous turkey the size of a small boy that would have taken hours to cook.)

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
(I note that Scrooge managed to buy a turkey for the Cratchits on Christmas Day itself. We aren't told whether Mrs Cratchit was properly grateful for the surprise arrival of a enormous turkey the size of a small boy that would have taken hours to cook.)

So funny you should say that. Just this morning I finished my annual rereading of "A Christmas Carol" and the same thought had always occurred to me. But for the first time I noticed, earlier in the book, a reference to people going out on Christmas Day with their dinners and taking them to the bakers... So did these worthy people supply a service on Christmas Day for those who didn't have ovens at their disposal?

Nen - shocking lack of historical knowledge.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, back in Victorian times bakers did supply a service for those who didn't have proper ovens, or worked really long hours and didn't have the time to cook, and I suppose it must have been available on Christmas Day. You turned up with your ready-prepared dinner in the dish, they put it alongside the breads to bake, and you came back later to collect it and paid the baker something for the use of the oven.

(I can't imagine they'd have been overjoyed at having to shift several shelves of loaves to make room for a massive great turkey, though.)

[ 23. December 2013, 13:19: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A footnote to having parents able to remember the nineteen twenties is that they both told me of Christmas shopping on the day. Nobody had fridges (although houses were colder) or a car (though shops were generally nearer) so bread, milk and many other items were ordered for collection first thing on the day. That was the way of things in Ealing and Bury anyhow.

My Dad remembers the family's first turkey, collected from miles away late on Christmas Eve, and carried home on the underground. While it had been slaughtered and drawn, all the rest of the preparation still had to be done, which was a surprise to his Mum! He judged all subsequent turkeys against that, from about 1928, and none matched up.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and don't forget that the postman used to deliver Christmas morning but, certainly by the 1950s, there was no second delivery.

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
...and don't forget that the postman used to deliver Christmas morning but, certainly by the 1950s, there was no second delivery.

I certainly remember the days of First Post and Second Post, though not on Christmas Day. Also early closing on Wednesdays. It took my mum years to get out of thinking that still happened. [Smile]

By the sound of it the Cratchits' turkey would have inconvenienced any baker and it always surprised me that Bob didn't comment on it to Scrooge the following day, or that Scrooge didn't inquire in a pseudo-surly manner whether Bob had enjoyed his dinner (snort, snigger). But I guess at that point they didn't have that kind of relationship.

Nen - born at the very end of the 1950s. [Biased]

--------------------

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember post being delivered on Christmas Day. I loved that, it seemed very exciting and Christmassy to a child. I never gave a thought to the poor postman.

We used to offer him a sherry and a mince pie but I forget if he took them!

I remember two deliveries a day as well. (Not Christmas Day)

But my father worked as normal Christmas Eve and always straight back to work the day after Boxing Day. My husband's office used to close down between Christmas and New Year, it was cheaper to do that than keep the building open on a skeleton staff doing very little.

I remember going to work on New Year's day as well.

Dear oh dear.

[ 23. December 2013, 15:21: Message edited by: Thyme ]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over in Hell, I have been ranting about how Air France has the most shocking customer service in the known universe.

We were supposed to be leaving in the evening on Christmas Eve to go to the Hotel Parents but they have kindly cancelled the plane. [Mad] On Saturday we went to the boutique (because they never, ever answer the phone, unless you’re prepared to wait for hours at a price of 35 cents a minute) to make a fuss and apparently they think this is normal. Basically someone didn’t feel like working on Christmas Eve so they decided to cancel the plane and go home. The upshot is that we are now leaving at Oh Hell o’clock on Christmas morning.* I have warned my mother that I shall be indulging in the traditional Christmas afternoon nap.

This has its upside, however. Christmas dinner in France is on Christmas Eve, not Christmas Day. Consequently I am getting two Christmas dinners - first a French one, cooked by my own personal French chef [Smile] and then a British one courtesy of my Dad next day once Air France finally deigns to take us there. I am doing precisely nothing to assist with said Christmas dinners except eating them. [Big Grin]

In other news, a grand total of none of my presents are wrapped except for the ones that were done for me in the shop.

(* Yes we will be sending a rude letter but we are waiting until after we get back because By God they are getting the taxi receipt. How the heck else are we supposed to get to Roissy at six thirty in the morning on Christmas day?)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I worked Christmas Day and Boxing Day for years as I was a nurse. When I was single I often used to volunteer for the shifts as that way I would get New Year off and go out partying all night.

[ 23. December 2013, 16:03: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

When I worked on the wards I used to really like working Christmas Day, and would usually volunteer for it so I could get New Year's Eve/Day off. There was always a bit of a party atmosphere and we tried really hard to make it as fun as possible for the patients. I did though volunteer to work nights over the Millennium though, my ward was on the 5th floor looking towards the Thames in the distance, so we had a great view of the fireworks.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Goodness knows why that appeared twice.

I've waved a hostly trotter and made the spare one disappear.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

When I was a tax man, way back in the dark ages, I went into work one New Year's Day and we were then sent home about 11.00 as the place was too cold and union rep told the management that under the terms of the Act, etc.

When working residentially I quite enjoyed working Christmas - I think 1985 was the year of the staff all in fancy dress [there still exists a photo somewhere of me in a pink tutu and fishnets [Eek!] ] and serving our rather elderly client group [mostly 80+] with Bucks Fizz with their breakfast.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016