homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada sometimes chats : 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada sometimes chats : 2013
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bright shining new thread. Have at it!

[ 13. February 2013, 07:29: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, now, Uncle Pete, even though it is only just past 10 pm, a very Happy New Year to you and to all of the other O Canada types on the Ship.

I am just in from a wonderful outdoor skate in a bitterly cold wind with about 1,000 other true Canadians or Crazy Canuck wannabes. There was a live swing band bravely playing though they were half frozen and an almost full moon that was spectacular. The fireworks were amazing and it was all capped off with a delicious Beavertail. A most enjoyable New Year's Eve.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy almost-New Year, fellow Great White Northers! Terribly exciting evening Chez Red; Air Farce followed by beddie-byes.

God, I'm old. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's already 2 hours into 2013 here in cool-but-not-yet-snowy St. John's.

Happy new year to All Points West (or Up Along as we call it).

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never heard of wine kiosks anywhere in Ontario - perhaps in up-market grocers? But apparently the LCBO is spreading its wings.

This is amazing to someone who remembers having to hand in a slip of paper with your shopping list and a signature certifying you were over 21 to a clerk who operated behind a counter and got your stuff from a locked area.

I still think that the sale of beer, wine and spirits should be even more tightly controlled. But then, I am often out of step with the latest pandering to the masses

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Liquor stores are ubiqitous here, and there are advantages to that. I do like having a choice of outlets on the admittedly rare occasions I need to make a purchase, and there are some excellent specialty boutiques. However, it's much too easy for kids to buy booze, and it's really hard to keep liquor outlets out of your neighbourhood. We've fended off several attempts to plant one in the mini-mall next door; the community feels it's a bad idea when we have an alcohol treatment facility within a block of the proposed outlet. But every six months or so there will be another attempt, and the community league will mobilize again to try to stop them - I fear it's a battle we may eventually lose.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I've never heard of wine kiosks anywhere in Ontario - perhaps in up-market grocers? ..

Apparently there is one inside a Wal-Mart.

This is the locator page for the biggest chain.

[ 01. January 2013, 17:31: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So many suburban Ottawa supermarkets have wine outlets I was wondering where the LCBO would put theirs.
Last time round, I believe the convenience store owners were against, now they are for. The big difference is that the age verification is already in place for tobacco.

Happy New Year, all

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

This is amazing to someone who remembers having to hand in a slip of paper with your shopping list and a signature certifying you were over 21 to a clerk who operated behind a counter and got your stuff from a locked area.

And seems even weirder to someone like me who lives within 150 metres of seven different shops that sell booze, and doesn't remember when he last saw a supermarket that didn't. Perhaps never.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish they'd preserved one of those old Ontario liquor stores for posterity. No one will believe we used that system into the 1970's.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It can go into the museum right next to the display about the Big Blue Machine (the Ontario Tories), Grade 13/OAC and stubbies.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, but when will we be able to put the dinosaur of the Harper Tory machine into a museum? This is a much more important question.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have you taken out that NDP membership yet, Bree?

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stubbies never really left, unless you only drink that swill the now foreign owned big 2 think we should be drinking.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

The last time I looked Red Stripe was still in Stubbies, blessed be their holy name.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Further to that, there was a power outage in Union Station in Toronto yesterday. Pushed me up a steep ramp and across 4 sets of tracks to get me to my train. Before that, when it first happened, I was on the GO concourse having a quick bite. Finally found someone to get me outside and up another steep ramp to the main level, where we lent a flashlight to the Left Luggage people so they could find our bags.

When we finally got to Ottawa, the taxicab phone lines were down, long lineups outside and damn few cabs. Shared with a little old lady going in my general direction, I was so glad to hit the pillow. [Snore]

[ 07. January 2013, 09:45: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pete, that does not sound like fun. Glad you made it back in one piece!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poor you, Pete - that sounds like a right nightmare. When are you heading off to Sunnier Climes™?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, where is he going this year?

[Biased]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Oh, funny.

--------------------

# 3200

For a few years, my wife and I worked at one of the two Inuit art stores in the area (the one owned by the ex husband).

I never did get into Kenojuak's, who died just the other day, art as much as others did, preferring Povungnituk over Dorset. But I still remember the yearly Dorset sale and the people who came from thousands of miles to put down a few thousand dollars on a print, every year.

The man who ran that gallery, Norm Socha, died 10 years or so ago. A good man. He taught me more about dealing with people as they are then anybody I had ever met.

Even now I can't see a bit of Inuit or Cree art without smiling.

Especially whenever I see a Chee Chee.

Now there was a genius. I'll take his clean lines over a Morriseau any day.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

quote:
The last time I looked Red Stripe was still in Stubbies, blessed be their holy name.

Still is, and there are other stubbies in the LCBO.

I bought Fin du Monde and Le Terrible, neither is in stubbies, but both good (strong!) beer.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fin du Monde is a GREAT name for for a strong beer!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It's right up there with Skull Splitter. [Big Grin]

Bloody great snow-storm on Thursday and Friday - we had no power from 7 in the morning on Friday until 7 in the evening today.

**brrrrrr** [Frown]

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

I wondered how you, David and Trudy were doing - I can't believe the snowfall amounts! Every news report I saw emphasized how Newfoundlanders' humour would help them weather the storm. I particluarly like this beer fridge (scroll down).

Glad your power's back on [Smile] .

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Huge raspberry to the City Council, who ploughed us back in on Saturday night after D. had dug us out. Huge cheer for our neighbour across the road, who came over while we were out at Evensong and dug out a proper path for us.

[Overused]

Things pretty well back to normal today, although it's treacherously slippery underfoot.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

There is no snow where I currently am.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

None here either Pete. Glad you made it safe and sound.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Well, I'll be in Montreal April 12-14. I have registered as a Delegate for the Federal NDP Convention for my riding.

I wonder how many General Council Commissioners will be there. [Two face]

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
CBC says it will be -43C here tonight.
Do. Not. Like. [Frown]

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

Okay, I am now officially ashamed of whinging about it being -22 when I walked to the library today. Especially when we hit +7 at one point last week.

On the other hand, half our office staff is currently Someplace Tropical, sucking back margaritas on a beach.

Back to whinging. [Waterworks]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
CBC says it will be -43C here tonight.
Do. Not. Like. [Frown]

You're doing it with windchill aren't you? It makes it seem more dramatic to report temp that way. But is does distort it too. We're -27 right now with the windchill putting it to -41.

I've been on a kick this winter to (1) never start a conversation with the usual "Cold enough for you?", (2) to try to say nothing negative about weather, always wear a toque and have a neck tube in my pocket, (3) to get outside for a walk every day. I have failed with the not complaining, but have complained less. I have been out every morning with the dog however, for half an hour. I recommend it. Just dress properly and it's all fine!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Minus 43? Even I'd admit to that being a tad chilly. [Eek!]

We're set to soar into positive digits over the next few hours but then take another plummet, and they're offering us far more snow than we could possibly need later in the week. [Frown]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Snigger]

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Just dress properly and it's all fine!

I shall be sure to pass along your advice to the Salvation Army, who are scrambling to provide emergency bed space in their kitchen, office and storage space, wherever they can. Surprisingly, they seem to think this weather is problematic. If only they had known that a few more layers would do the trick!
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Big Snow at Dawn! The best phrase to describe tomorrow morning. And I have an appointment at 9 am 30 km away. Oh joy!

--------------------

# 3200

People here today saying tomorrow will be really cold.

A high of -11 is not all that cold.

As long as its not a repeat of a metre of snow in 6 days coming from the south, we here will survive.

(this downtown of this city is not designed to take that much snow directly coming at it from the south...I'm up in North York where that much would be handled ok)

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally, a proper winter day -- windchill -20 and snowing.

I feel very Canadian today -- fresh-baked cranberry scones for breakfast, and then bundling up to take the dog (Labrador retriever) out. Then back for a (hopefully) peaceful day of work on an anthropological manuscript about Aboriginal peoples in Canada. Too bad there's not enough snow to get out the snowshoes.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I'm coping very well with all the snow.

[Angel]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Just dress properly and it's all fine!

I shall be sure to pass along your advice to the Salvation Army, who are scrambling to provide emergency bed space in their kitchen, office and storage space, wherever they can. Surprisingly, they seem to think this weather is problematic. If only they had known that a few more layers would do the trick!
A few layers of bricks (with tiles on top) do a great job. I'm sure the Sally Army would concur.

Meanwhile, we British feel very discouraged when it gets below zero at all.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a splendid 3.5km walk to my local for my daily cortado this morning and can assure folk that, at a mere -27°C, it was fine. However, as Leaf's comments should remind us, I don't have to spend my nights outside.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It should be added, that, in addition to wearing more layers of clothing, that keeping moving and having a cup of something nicely hot when you come in is the ticket.

I changed the oil in the car tonight in the garage (cheapskate do it yourselfer all my life for oil changes). It's only -24°C and we're off to a cabin for the weekend to ski. Touring, as in climbing up and skiing down. It's too cold for downhill for me. Now that's the way to keep warm!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey ho, started annoying the Americans so I might as well do the Canadians too... [Big Grin]

Planning a trip for the middle of the year. I'm trying to figure out my best travel options for various bits and pieces.

As far as Canada is concerned, here's what I'm currently thinking about:

1. Chicago to Toronto looks like a plane is the best option. Looks rather too longer for other forms of transport. True?

2. For Toronto to Ottawa, and Ottawa to Montreal, rail looks like quite an attractive option. It looks like there are quite a few trains every day. Would this mean that I could get away with not booking anything until I was in town, ie only a day or two in advance?

3. I've got this vague notion of travelling from Montreal down to Boston but stopping at a couple of towns in New England along the way. It seems to me that buses are the viable transport option here?? I tried the Greyhound website but it's not very helpful when it comes to finding routes and schedules (rather than just booking a ticket to where you already know you're going).

4. What's the best mode of transport between Vancouver and Seattle?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I have virtually no clue when it comes to these parts of the world.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

1. Plane is the quickest. The only train is a connection from the Lake Shore Limited to the Maple Leaf at Buffalo; I don't know if this is a good connection because both trains only run once a day.

2. Via Rail always has plenty of seats. There should be no problems for an ordinary summer's day. If it's July 1 or the Civic Holiday weekend (first weekend in August), reservations may be required.

3. Check a map first. The website should have maps under schedules, which is different from ticket booking. Look for the route number.

4. Train or bus for Vancouver-Seattle.

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

Cross posted with SPK

Yay for Canada!

Chicago to Toronto is a regular flight route. There is also a train if you are so inclined.

Toronto to Ottawa by train is quite a nice trip. The rates are lower if you book in advance.

Keep in mind that airfares don't always go up. I just booked a trip only two weeks in advance and the flights today are actually cheaper than they were on Monday.

Buses take forever even though Montreal to Boston is not very far. Personally, I would do a rideshare - check Craigslist or Kijiji.

4. What's the best mode of transport between Vancouver and Seattle?

I can't answer this one as I am way way over on the right hand side of the country. You know, the best part that you are skipping on this journey!

[ 25. January 2013, 13:31: Message edited by: lily pad ]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks very much, both of you.

And yes, I'm skipping wildly. The world is crazy big, I'm proposing tasting Canada for the first time, and meanwhile I'm realising it's well over a decade since the one and only time I laid eyes on Paris and more than 3 years since I saw Prague...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

orfeo, if you can manage it, get to Victoria, on Vancouver Island, a short ferry crossing. You can take the bus on to the ferry and then get bussed into Vic. The bus station is not far from downtown and you can walk and see the harbour, museum and other things. Even if you only have an afternoon, it is definitely worth your time. But the next bit is what you may really enjoy: you can get on a bus from Victoria and take a ferry to Anacortes, Washington, which is the port in the neighbourhood of Seattle. This is a really pretty trip, with short stops at various small islands, opportunity to see seals, sometimes whales etc. It compares to the coastal boat in Norway with warmer temps and no ice in terms of scenery, and while not cheap, is cheaper than that.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I took a ferry from Seattle to Victoria, stayed a little while then a bus from Victoria to Vancouver - it was a great trip.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did Montreal to Ottawa by bus, which was no problem at all. If memory serves it was the cheaper option, and the buses were as frequent as trains.

Make sure you have an Ottawa shipmeet if you're going that way. They're a fab bunch, and will make you very welcome.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I can but agree with Kingsfold's last sentence. We meet in either an Irish pub or a South Indian restaurant (my favourite for some reason which escapes me)

If you don't mind a fold out futon you don't have to worry about a hotel either (share a room with my computer with an ensuite private bath and toilet)

Comes well recommended by Australians, I'm told.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016