homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada sometimes chats : 2013 (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada sometimes chats : 2013
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...your computer has an ensuite??

[Big Grin] The things my brain reads at 3am. I already suffered from "tennis insomnia". "Travel planning insomnia" isn't helping!!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, and thank you very much for the tips about Victoria and the ferry. Sounds very promising. I did have Victoria in the back of my mind actually, thanks to Commonwealth Games coverage back in 1994 that seems to have stayed with me.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Victoria is a small city, very "British" in character. Whilst there I had an outing to Carmanahs-Walbran National Park which was great - wonderful temperate rain forest with some BIG trees!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you skip Ottawa, orfeo, you'll be persona non grata in Canada forevermore.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you have the time, I'd certainly recommend taking in Victoria.

As for Toronto-Ottawa...the bus is just as fast as the train and cheaper. I'd not chance turning up at Union Station and hoping to hop on a train. It might work, but you might have to wait through a couple of trains. My wife travels by rail to Toronto from Ottawa and back several times a year and always books ahead.

Pete has put up people in Ottawa before, as have Mary and I... I'm not going to get into a bidding war, but "queen sized bed" is a phrase that springs to mind in our spare room.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
... I am way way over on the right hand side of the country ...

Almost. [Devil]

Next time you come, Orfeo, don't forget the mystic East and, of course, Newfoundland.

Have a wonderful trip. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Hey ho, started annoying the Americans so I might as well do the Canadians too... [Big Grin]

Planning a trip for the middle of the year. I'm trying to figure out my best travel options for various bits and pieces.

As far as Canada is concerned, here's what I'm currently thinking about:

1. Chicago to Toronto looks like a plane is the best option. Looks rather too longer for other forms of transport. True?

2. For Toronto to Ottawa, and Ottawa to Montreal, rail looks like quite an attractive option. It looks like there are quite a few trains every day. Would this mean that I could get away with not booking anything until I was in town, ie only a day or two in advance?

3. I've got this vague notion of travelling from Montreal down to Boston but stopping at a couple of towns in New England along the way. It seems to me that buses are the viable transport option here?? I tried the Greyhound website but it's not very helpful when it comes to finding routes and schedules (rather than just booking a ticket to where you already know you're going).

4. What's the best mode of transport between Vancouver and Seattle?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I have virtually no clue when it comes to these parts of the world.

Greyhound tickets to or from US destinations are sold through the greyhound.com (US) website, not greyhound.ca.

There are four daily runs from Montreal to Boston stopping in New Hampshire and Vermont.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another Victoria-Vancouver suggestion, should you wish to fork out $170.32 (although sometimes you can get a websaver of $74), is seaplane. They take off from one harbour and land in the other-- both very central to downtown, and one reaps a splendid view of the islands through which your ferry wound on the way in.

Should you be very idle in Victoria, Salt Spring and Gabriola islands are ferry-able for a daytrip, and give you an idea of an alternate reality.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

History happened today. Heritage Minister James Moore tabled the Succession to the Throne Act, 2012 in the House of Commons.

This is the long-expected revision to the Act of Settlement that ends male primogeniture and further removes the bar to marrying a Roman Catholic.

The bill is the first in a very, very long while to use the provisions of the Statute of Westminster that permits Canada to assent to Imperial legislation specifically on the succession.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It doesn't "permit". It requires.

John

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Devotees of constitutional minutiae and nomenclature will note that the act refers to Roman Catholics, and not Catholics.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

And Anglicans count as Protestant for school-board purposes. [Razz]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

The language of that has changed somewhat, with the terms "public school" and "separate school" used in western Canada rather than the religious language. Separate being the religious minority. It is a constitutional oddity that we are apparently stuck with.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend's Quebec birth certificate lists her religion as"Hebrew ". As I recall it had check boxes for Roman Catholic, Protestant, and Hebrew.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:

Catholics federally, and Protestant provincially. If Hooker only could foresee such wonders.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... Anglicans count as Protestant for school-board purposes. [Razz]

It always pissed us off in Northern Ireland that the only options in the religious affiliation question* were "Protestant", "Catholic" (not Roman Catholic) or "Neither".

As Anglicans we didn't really want to be called "Protestant", but if we'd called ourselves "Catholic" they'd have got the wrong end of the stick. If there was space, we always added "Church of Ireland", just to annoy them.

"Protestant", "Anglican" and "Italian Mission" might have worked better ... [Big Grin]

* It appeared on all job application forms to keep the Equal Opportunities jobsworths happy.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

Catholics federally, and Protestant provincially. If Hooker only could foresee such wonders.
And your communion agreements with the Lutherans, who are Proudly Protestant, and the fact that Anglicans are Protestant to Statistics Canada, and for Section 93 remedial purposes, Anglicans are Protestant, but that's still a Federal power [Razz] . And the House of Commons translator who translated "Church of England" as "Église Protestant" the other day at the Heritage Minister's scrum on the Succession to the Throne Act.

And then there's the Methodists (ahem) [Smile] . which reminds me, the Anglican Church of Canada and the United Church of Canada have started a dialogue which may produce an agreement similar to the one you have with the Lutherans.

And then there is real reason I wanted to post, which was that I just finished translating all of my (very English) NDP Riding Association's Resolutions into French so they will be more noticeable at this year's Federal Convention in Montreal.

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

Translators and correspondence officers are a black hole of despair when it comes to ecclesiastical issues. I had several times to ensure that ministers of the Crown did not address cardinals and primates as Dear Reverend. Whatever you do in life, do not rely on them for an exercise of the magisterium with respect to ecclesiological issues.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm wondering if both Catholics and Protestants might be categorized as Jedi, at least on the census.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
poileplume
Shipmate
# 16438

- Posted      Profile for poileplume   Email poileplume   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In Quebec the Jews used to be categorised as Protestant by the school board. I thought you would like to know that totally valueless trivia.

Round here in solid French speaking Quebec, Anglicans / Christians are catholic.

Heard at my Anglican Church meeting” There aren’t any Protestant Churches around here”

I asked the congregation if they wanted Morning Prayer sometimes called Matins occasionally. To a man / woman they replied “What is Morning Prayer?”

--------------------
Please note I am quite severely dyslexic

Posts: 319 | From: Quebec | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

There goes the joke that since there are three Anglicans in your town, poileplume, you could hold Mattins in the Gin Bottle. But not a mitten, that's where the United Church meets.

On more totally inane and irrelevant Quebec trivia, in French the United Church is Huguenot and flies the Huguenot Cross. This is not theoretical, we are the Reformed Church in French in Quebec (the other claimant only started operations in the 1990's). We also have longstanding relationship with the Reformed Church of France, because French Protestantism is a very small world.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

**bump**

Just read Wodders' post about tidying up All Saints, so I thought I'd bump this thread in case it gets lost.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You'd have been okay as our projected provisional target date is a bit earlier - and would I dare delete the Canada thread whilst Pete is resident here?

[What a pity I didn't think of that during H&A Days!]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

So I can report that on Monday, 18 February, 2013, I went into the local Timmy's. And lo it was the first day of RUTRTW. (At least, on Saturday before, we weren't being invited to RUTRTW). And lo, I ordered a small coffee -- not, as is my wont, in a mug to save the environment but in a paper cup because they were going to give it to me anyway. And lo I won a free coffee.

Not that I expect any other winnings, but still.

I take it, from the silence on this thread, that I am indeed the first.

Rejoice with me, brethren and sistren!

John

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, John!

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats.

I read your thing and thought, "Wait a minute, they don't do roll up the rim for smalls." Then I realised everything got supersized and the national lottery is now available to even those who want a less of that gawd awful swill they call coffee.

(I must admit I haven't tried yet as the hot chocolate now comes with coconut oil in it and I need a few weeks in between Timmies coffee to forge the taste)

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't gagnezed anything yet.
I confess to having tried a "latte" from McDonalds. It tasted like liquid pencil shavings.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
I haven't gagnezed anything yet.
I confess to having tried a "latte" from McDonalds ...

If you carry on doing that, you'll gagnez bugger-all.

Which is what I've done so far, despite having had at least five Timmies since Monday.

Hmph. [Frown]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

**bump**

My Beloved, who has gagnezed several cafés, very kindly gave me a rim this morning, and you can imagine my horror when I got to the main Timmy's at w*rk to find it was "closed due to staff shortages". [Eek!]

There's another one in the building, but it would have had a queue half-way to Halifax, so I made do with coffee from an ordinary coffee shop. [Disappointed]

However, I put this deficiency right this afternoon and gagnezed un café. [Yipee]

About bloody time too. [Devil]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

The Ontario Redistribution Report is now in and the horrid boundaries of the Draft Report for Eastern and Central Ontario are now rectified. My riding is back to its tight little compact self, with a few extra townships.

[Smile]

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting how the commission took as one of its strongest mandates to maintain the rural/urban divide.

I suspect in 20 years this will change.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

And yet in their section on Central and Eastern Ontario, they said when they tried to respect that "mandate", they got massive feedback. I should know, I was one of the people telling the Commission that.

I was at the Belleville hearing and the rest of the NDP Riding Executive was at the Cobourg hearing. Justice Valin, a curmudgeonly sort of judge, said that it was almost impossible to keep Counties together. He was sort of patronizing, as judges are wont to be when lawyers or presenters run up against the judge's own views.

The Cobourg hearing was the best attended in Ontario with 50 presenters. Justice Valin took my advice in the end. The Commission's report says that "people in this part of Ontario are deeply attached to their counties, some of which go back to the late 18th Century and the founding of Upper Canada."

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Now it seems that Timmy's at w*rk is "closed until further notice". [Waterworks]

How the hell am I supposed to gagnez anything (not that I am anyway - my total this year is still un café)? [Frown]

I'm not sure what the reason is, although I suspect it's something to do with it being part of the Health Science Centre, so the staff are paid Eastern Health rates, i.e. a lot more than the staff in ordinary outlets. As a result, it doesn't make any money, despite nearly always being busy.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the things I vaguely miss about winters chez Wodders is the RUTR.

Ah well, I can get milk chai, specially made at a stall run by a neighbour beside one of the local mosques. A nice hot glassful and only 5 rupees a glass. Just have to remember to park off the road, otherwise it's a drive-in!

Ah well, time enough for RUTR when I do my weekly outing from Shady Pines Rest Home.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

[Votive]

RIP Stompin Tom

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The girls are out to bingo
And the boys are gettin' stinko
We'll think no more of INCO...

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
... How the hell am I supposed to gagnez anything (not that I am anyway - my total this year is still un café)? [Frown]

Having braved the queue at the other Timmy's, my gagnezing rate has dramatically increased: 2 cafés on Wednesday, another one with one of those rims, used that one this morning and lo and behold! gagnezed yet another café.

[Yipee]

No cars or $5000 pre-paid credit cards though ... [Disappointed]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ontario's a good place to get sick. Just had the pleasure of telling American brother-in-law about the hideous costs of getting an MRI scan in Canada. Had to wait a whole week, and then had to shell out ten dollars for hospital parking. Terrible, eh? They could pay a couple of thousand for a scan.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm having flashbacks to last Sunday's sermon. Our priest listed the three things that distinguish us as Canadians: Timmy's and health care were the first two. Now all we need is someone to mention our abundance of fresh water and we're 3 for 3.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I was told when I moved here that a Canadian is an unarmed American with proper health-care.

It's not true though: Canadians are much nicer. [Smile]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

An article from La Presse complaining that Jack is only in English and the Orange Wave doesn't get enough coverage.

The Irony Meter just exploded.

Radio-Canada wouldn't touch it. That lot of Separatists are still sulking...

Quebec all of a sudden opted for an utterly Anglophone party that reeks of the United Church.

Dear Quebec:

Ok, we'd talk more about the Orange Wave but we don't understand it either. We still love you and we hope you still love us.

Yours truly,

English Canada, the NDP and SPK, who is a delegate for his utterly English Central Ontario riding to the Montreal NDP convention next month.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

The NDP is well known for shooting itself in the left foot. Why are you surprised? The Orange Wave was a 2011 phenomenon which even startled the Anglo-echelons of a so-called socialist party. By the time the next election rolls along, it will be nothing but a beery burp of a footnote.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

At the movie? Not surprised in the least. At the article? Well, a little understanding on both sides would be nice....

Can't I laugh at the World Turned Upside Down?

My riding executive as much as said to me that I'm being sent to Convention to provide the social lubrication. A large number of confused Francophones in a party that isn't known for speaking French need somebody to talk to. This isn't the Liberal Party.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

The online RUTR Site registration fails if you actually read the Terms and Conditions, at least from the device I am using. I am amused but not registered.

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds way too complicated for Tim's.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

Just run of the mill incompetence, I think.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

Anyone spied the comet - the one in the sky, not our shipmate. I have tried without success.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Haven't seen it in Real Life, although there was quite an impressive bit of footage on the Weather Channel the other day. No chance tonight - it's cloudy. [Frown]

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hard to see the comet through the slight blizzard but I am sure it is/was there.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
which leaves me wondering if our Comet was also in a "slight blizzard" as well, but the Weather Network assures me that there was no significant precip up her way.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016