homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada sometimes chats : 2013 (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada sometimes chats : 2013
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Toronto's having a delightful spring, orfeo! This week we've had 20+ C, cloudless sky, trees blossoming (a mixed blessing for allergy sufferers, though).

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Hey folks,

Just to give you a bit of a warning I'm heading your way. Will be in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal over the very end of May/first couple of weeks in June. Will you have spring sorted out by then?

Also spending a few days in Vancouver during July.

The problem is I'm halfway between Toronto and Ottawa, and I blew my budget on the NDP Convention in Montreal, so I'm not making a three-hour trek to Ottawa or Toronto.

Oh well, there's an easy solution. Take the early train from Toronto to Belleville, get off and have lunch with me, and then get back on a later train to Ottawa. What say ye, orfeo?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I say that I've already booked my train ticket and I'm not sure it allows such clever schemes...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What kind of ticket did you book? Via is lenient on rebooking this far ahead. Do you have a supersaver, discounted or regular ticket?

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Um... "Economy - escape fare (Web only)"

Non-exchangeable and non-refundable in red letters.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

[Disappointed]

Well, you have two choices:

1) Get off at Belleville and book a ticket for later in the day ($61 Supersaver one-way, can be booked online), and I'll take you to lunch. There are no Escape fares from Toronto to Belleville so your existing ticket is likely what you would have paid for a one-way fare anyway.

2) Not do (1) and I'll [Waterworks] .

What date and time is your train from Toronto?

[ 09. May 2013, 00:14: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Well, the sods have just informed me in the last couple of days that they no longer do checked luggage, so there's no risk of my luggage carrying onto Ottawa without me...

We're talking Monday June 3. However, the particular train (#54) does not show a stop in Belleville. It appears that quite a few of the trains whizz on past there.

So I don't think this is going to work.

However, John (who I'm staying with) was discussing the possibility of a day trip to Kingston later in the week, so if Ottawa is difficult for you and Belleville is difficult for me, a rendezvous in Kingston might be an option to hold out for.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Ah, got it figured out. [Smile]

Train 54 does not stop at Belleville, but does stop at Cobourg, which is the same distance away from me. Belleville is East, Cobourg is West. So you can stop at Cobourg if you wish.

Train 46 will put you back on track to Ottawa.

OR

I can do Kingston Shipmeet, if so desired. John knows my face and I know his, but unfortunately I don't know yours, so that may be best.

Your choice. [Big Grin]

"No Checked Luggage" means they don't carry baggage cars anymore. Which they don't. There is a rack at the front of the car for your luggage between the door and the seats. Your true carry-ons go overhead in the luggage compartment.

[ 09. May 2013, 02:20: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
Toronto's having a delightful spring, orfeo! This week we've had 20+ C, cloudless sky, trees blossoming (a mixed blessing for allergy sufferers, though).

It has just come to my attention, however, that the forecast for next week is 11 degrees.

*packs coat*

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Give my regards to Kingston. If you're standing on the waterfront - as you will be - just by the Spirit of Sir John A, look up at the condominium to your right. If you see a little old lady on the 10th floor, drinking a glass of rum and water, give her a wave from me.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I can see myself being questioned by the police about why I'm staring so intently at the nearby buildings...

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:

It has just come to my attention, however, that the forecast for next week is 11 degrees.

*packs coat*

Yes, it's always a good idea to have a warm layer handy in Canada in spring. But that dip in temps will only last a couple of days, and then it's back to t-shirts. [Cool]

When will you be in Toronto?

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

orfeo

# 13878

Toronto... *flicks through notes again* that'd be arriving 29 May, leaving 3 June.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chris Hadfield is so flipping cool.

He nailed Bowie and wonder and space travel and astronaut regret in one music video.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Toronto... *flicks through notes again* that'd be arriving 29 May, leaving 3 June.

I'm in Toronto, but unfortunately those dates are really bad for me -- family in town etc. Not sure where the rest of the Toronto crowd is these days.

Not sure whether you'd be looking for suggestions for an Anglican Sunday service in Toronto but if you are feel free to PM me. Or for that matter for any other Toronto info.

Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Sacred May Long Weekend, compatriots! [Big Grin]

It isn't actually so happy here. The weather has been terrible, and we've had a very long cold spring. Ice is still on the lakes where people would normally be going! Campground bookings have fallen by more than half. To top it off, it's supposed to rain all three days. It's enough to make you question the existence of a merciful Creator.

At least there hasn't been flooding, so I guess that falls in the category of "less misery than expected." The Spirit of Eeyore hath descended upon us all.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think we're expecting very holiday-ish weather either - I think 4°, thunderstorms and about an inch of rain was what was on offer for Newfoundland.

As we haven't got a cabin or cottage, I'm not hugely bothered for myself - I should really use the day off to do a bit of spring-cleaning ... [Eek!]

Hope those of you that do have a good weekend. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sunny, but cold, here in the Centre of the Universe™ (self-proclaimed, but delusional)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Classic cold, rain-drizzle-and-fog May long weekend here in St. John's. We're staying in town (we do have a cabin, but don't even both turning the water on till late June) but my teenage daughter is supposed to be heading to a friend's cabin this evening with the promise of roasting hot dogs over a campfire and sleeping out in the trailer. Sooner her than me, I'd say.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

Okay-ish here in the true centre *nudges PeteC out of the way* -- 17-20-22 over the next three days, with clouds and bits of rain. Can't complain after frigid wind and sleet last weekend.

--------------------

my blog

orfeo

# 13878

So, is there a particular reason the whole of downtown Toronto is a construction site, or is this just an annual thing between the ground thawing and the summer activities kicking in?

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

quote:
So, is there a particular reason the whole of downtown Toronto is a construction site, or is this just an annual thing between the ground thawing and the summer activities kicking in?

It's pretty much constant year-round. We seem to have a desperate shortage of towering condo buildings [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

my blog

marsupial.
Shipmate
# 12458

- Posted      Profile for marsupial.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are two seasons in southern Ontario: winter and construction season.
Posts: 653 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here the council spends the summer mending the roads that they broke in the winter with salt and snow-ploughs. Unfortunately, they don't do it very well, so they get broken again next winter.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Here the council spends the summer mending the roads that they broke in the winter with salt and snow-ploughs. Unfortunately, they don't do it very well, so they get broken again next winter.

You have an excuse. Here in distinctly temperate South-East Wales the roads are patched and covered every March (spend the money before end of financial year), dug up by utilities to undo the council's good work all summer, then the damp comes and, with traffic too heavy for the roadbase, everything breaks up. Return, repeat.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wife and I love Via 1. Took it last week on our every 4 years vacation. No wait, no lineups, free drinks, free papers, decent meal, big comfy chairs.

All for about $30 more per trip per person.

Oh, and yes Ottawa is lovely to visit, but you do have a lot of building construction going on around the downtown. Money to spend it seems.

That and Bridgeheads popping up like Starbucks. I saw more of those then I saw Tim's (yes, we did not get all that far out of the Elgin area where we were staying).

And we noticed that most of the male joggers had love handles while almost all the bikes people were riding were high sitting touring ones (not 10 speed racing types).

That and your suit type people are all talking and getting somewhere eventually. Toronto's suit type people are all serious and on the move.

Oh, and Gatineau reminded us of parts of Kitchener, actually.

Loads of fun.

[ 05. June 2013, 03:35: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The State Government here is now insisting on durability guarantees for road work - the contractors ain't happy and no proof yet that it will work but it seems a step in the right direction.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Montreal grand prix weekend. Fancy cars, pretty women and impromptu VIP bars springing up on Rue Peel. Rather fascinating.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You should see L'Oratoire St-Joseph, if not for the church then for the view from Mont-Royal.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
You should see L'Oratoire St-Joseph, if not for the church then for the view from Mont-Royal.

Ha. I didn't see this until now, but I did indeed see the Oratoire. Rather fascinating and weird. The garden was utterly beautiful. Praying to the heart of a dead man was just weird for me, sorry.

Most beautiful church in Montreal, though, was Notre Dame in the old town. Just gorgeous.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Weird? And you call yourself an Anglo-Catholic! Say that once more and the Anglo-Catholic Brigade is going to expel you. [Biased]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Ahem. I have NEVER called myself an Anglo-Catholic!

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Sorry, I thought you hung around with the Brigade.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Nope.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:

Most beautiful church in Montreal, though, was Notre Dame in the old town. Just gorgeous.

Notre Dame de Bonsecours in Vieux Port?

Or do you mean Marie Reine du Monde, the equally beautiful diocesan cathedral

If you mean Bonsecours, I agree with you.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Then you agree with me. [Big Grin]

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
My wife and I love Via 1. Took it last week on our every 4 years vacation. No wait, no lineups, free drinks, free papers, decent meal, big comfy chairs.

Oh, and yes Ottawa is lovely to visit, Loads of fun. .....

So one time, why don't you let us know you're visiting. We're always up for an excuse to meet and, as appropriate, hoist a glass.

Naughty, naughty Og.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Notre Dame de Bonsecours in Vieux Port?

Or do you mean Marie Reine du Monde, the equally beautiful diocesan cathedral

If you mean Bonsecours, I agree with you.

Mary Queen of the World beautiful? The best thing it has to say for itself is that it's a scale model of St. Peter's in Rome. Most of the rest is kitsch left over from the 1930s.

Notre Dame, the baslica (I think) is of its type wonderful, and the new Lady Chapel (since the fire) is breathtaking, though not to everyone's taste.

ND de Bonne Secours in the harbour is also indeed beautiful.

John

orfeo

# 13878

Wait wait, is there more than one Notre Dame? I'm so damned confused now. I definitely don't mean the queen of the world one, that's certain. I mean the basilica on Place D'Armes.

NOT, it seems, the chapel near Bonsecours. Pete basically gave me 2 options both of which were wrong.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Weird? And you call yourself an Anglo-Catholic! Say that once more and the Anglo-Catholic Brigade is going to expel you. [Biased]

I used to be a member of the Boy's Brigade, does that count?

44th St Aidan's

Which was and is a Church of Scotland parish, not my church but close to home.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Oh, and yes Ottawa is lovely to visit, Loads of fun. .....

So one time, why don't you let us know you're visiting. We're always up for an excuse to meet and, as appropriate, hoist a glass.

Naughty, naughty Og.

John

Sorry, nothing personal.

I've never gone to internet meets of any type. Comes from being an introvert, I suppose. I'm awfully shy, and I'm also one of those who leaves groups early, where possible.

I believe this is changing so we'll see.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Complete tangent - is it just in Newfoundland that the Weather Channel's making a complete bollocks of the local forecast graphics? Backgrounds all in the wrong place so that you can't read the captions, sometimes even just blank blue screens?

The odd occasion I'd put down to atmospherics (or something), but it's been like that off and on for a couple of weeks and I wondered if it was happening to everybody's local forecasts.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Complete tangent - is it just in Newfoundland that the Weather Channel's making a complete bollocks of the local forecast graphics? Backgrounds all in the wrong place so that you can't read the captions, sometimes even just blank blue screens?

The weather b'ys in Newfieland have had too much screech. IOW, it's just you. We's fine.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Wait wait, is there more than one Notre Dame? I'm so damned confused now. I definitely don't mean the queen of the world one, that's certain. I mean the basilica on Place D'Armes.

NOT, it seems, the chapel near Bonsecours. Pete basically gave me 2 options both of which were wrong.

Orfeo, nearly every place in Quebec is Notre-Dame de [something]. Usually referred to by [something].

The same thing goes for churches -videlicit Bonsecours.

John - tastes vary. I'm a fan of 30s kitsch. I spend too much time in post-Vatican II calvinistic austerity (which has its own beauty, but doesn't speak to me much)

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Montréal has 28 Notre Dame de Something outlets, and a further two Our Lady of Somplace. Given that the Latin name of the city is Marianopolis, this is not too surprising. Orfeo is indeed unfortunate in that he only ran into 2 or 3-- he now needs to return and perhaps do a MW series of all of the Notre Dames of Montréal.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

LOL just because you said 'outlets'.

[ 18. June 2013, 17:06: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Augustine's an old man. He was probably thinking of Tim Hortons when he typed...

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Simply paying respect to the corporate culture which motivates so much ecclesiastical administration these days.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

quote:
Augustine's an old man.

Yep, nearly as old as you.

Of course, from my perspective, you're both mere children (perhaps not mere, on second thought) frolicking, as it were, in the pastures of youth.

John

PS -- The thought of Augustine and Pete frolicking, though not of course together, may be disturbing to fragile minds, so feel free not to tell us what image it conjures up in your minds.

J

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Should anyone be interested (maybe Augustine), the post of Saguenay Herald just went up today on jobs.gc.ca. It's an EC-04 position and history degrees are desired.

Dear me, the things you see on that board.

[Killing me]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016