homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada sometimes chats : 2013 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada sometimes chats : 2013
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like a pretty cool job, though, in the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back in the days of my youth - or, indeed, my middle age - I would have killed to be a Canadian Herald. Heraldry was a hobby of mine during that time. Not, alas, any more.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hé, mes mecs! Régarde ça!

Hey, guys! Look at this!

Greedy American corporations!

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Hey, guys! Look at this!

Eh, tabarnac, alors... If I was still living in Montreal I probably wouldn't even have noticed it.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As it's now 1st July in this little corner of the country, [Smile] may I wish the rest of you a happy Canada Day.

Here in Newfoundland the morning is known as "Memorial Day" and there are remembrance ceremonies for those killed in World War 1; Canada Day isn't celebrated until after that. I know Newfoundland wasn't part of Canada at the time (and the role of the Newfoundland Regiment may have been different from that of the Canadian ones), but I assume that many people from other parts of Canada were lost as well - do remembrance ceremonies happen in other places too, or is it just here?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Not on Canada Day, to my knowledge. But that excepts Newfoundland which, as you said, was an Independent Dominion in those days. And that which you are remembering is a horrific scar on your little country. It should always take preference over Canada Day.

Did Best Buy slant their advertising there, too?

Bonne Fête du Canada! Happy Canada Day!

[ 01. July 2013, 08:17: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't say I've noticed any Best Buy adverts, but you know what it's like - one tends to mentally block out adverts as there are so many of them.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
July 1 was/is significant to Nfld. because the Royal Newfoundland Regiment went "over the top" on that day during the battle of Beaumont-Hamel. Of the 780 men who moved forward, only 110 survived, with only 68 available for roll call the next day.

This, along with other major losses, was a significant contribution to the devastation of Newfoundland during the Depression, leading to direct rule from England before WW2, and the post-war referendum on joining Canada or the US in 1949.

So Memorial Day marks major turning points in the island's history, more than just the annexation by Canada. I doubt there are many stores that would open on that day.

Canada Day is definitely a holiday in the Maritimes, with all the major stores closed (although the tourism people certainly work!) Apparently commerce trumps holidays in other parts.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

Canada Day is definitely a holiday in the Maritimes, with all the major stores closed (although the tourism people certainly work!) Apparently commerce trumps holidays in other parts.

Most stores close here as well on holidays (Boxing Day is the notable exception). A sale advertised as a "Canada Day sale" would mean that the special pricing was in effect leading up to or surrounding that day, not on the day itself.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After Vancouver airport's immigration hall, every other place is going to look ugly.

Incredible. I had a smile on my face WHILE QUEUING.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
... I doubt there are many stores that would open on that day ...

Indeed - it's a full-on public holiday, with the remembrance ceremonies as mentioned above in the morning, and fireworks for Canada Day in the evening.

As far as I know, Tim Horton's was about the only place open ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
After Vancouver airport's immigration hall, every other place is going to look ugly.

Incredible. I had a smile on my face WHILE QUEUING.

That's the one with the mad sculpture of a canoe full of Muppet ancestors?

Love the Van waterfront too (pines for sitting on a deck, eating oysters and watching the sun set).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"The Spirit of Haida Gwaii" by Bill Reid. That copy is known as the Jade Canoe.

The plaster macquette (sp) is in Ottawa, and there's a bronze in Washington.

And, it's on the $20 bill.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for Lac-Mégantic.

I want to know just how many things went wrong that night. Railway air brakes are NOT supposed to do that.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG I just caught up with news of that train crash.

[Votive] for all involved - I know what it's like to have the centre of your town looking like a warzone.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
horrors. could so easily happen in the town I just moved from, trains run right through the middle of town and there are long fuel trains in the middle of the night. what a nightmare.

there but for fortune.

[Votive]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:

Hey, guys! Look at this!

Eh, tabarnac, alors... If I was still living in Montreal I probably wouldn't even have noticed it.
What is more, prices for Québec seem higher than in the all-Canada ad!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
[Votive] for Lac-Mégantic.

[Votive]

And for comet and cometville too: [Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The oil was on the way to a refinery in my hometown. Hopefully, an East-West pipeline will be safer. The people of Lac-Megantic are in my prayers.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by HenryT:
"The Spirit of Haida Gwaii" by Bill Reid. That copy is known as the Jade Canoe.

The plaster macquette (sp) is in Ottawa, and there's a bronze in Washington.

And, it's on the $20 bill.

I have seen all 3 on my trip.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Well, Trawna doesn't have many disasters (except à la Lastman), but this counts as a sort of mini one. Hope our Toronto shippies are fine.

[one word changed for clarity]

The death toll in Mégantic is up to 13. Many still missing. What a terrible, terrible way to die.

[Votive]

[ 09. July 2013, 08:55: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

Astonishing that no major injuries have been reported, AFAIK.

Within two months, we've had a 30-year storm and now a 60-year storm (coming close to the one-day rainfall record set during the legendary Hurricane Hazel of 1954). Metro Toronto (as it was at the time) learned a lot back then, and implemented sound policies such as turning the ravines and floodplains into parkland and disallowing buildings in those areas. But, obviously, roads and railways still run through low-lying areas.

But whether I was bailing water last night or watching news from around the city, I kept thinking "This is nothing." Lac-Megantic [Votive]

--------------------

my blog

orfeo

# 13878

You could blame global warming, or you could just blame me being in the country. Although I think I was across the border for Calgary.

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure that Our-Great-Leader-who-represents-the-Oil-Patch would like to find a way of blaming you for all the disasters. That would get him off the hook for having to deal with climate and oil-related problems.

The optics of his cuts to the Transportation Safety Board aren't particularly good, on top of all his climate denial.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

Not to mention the optics of his throwing Nigel Wright under the bus. Expecting us to believe he didn't know what was going on in his own office--he who micro-manages cabinet and caucus?

--------------------

my blog

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We lost power yesterday for about 5-6 hours (was asleep when it came back on). As we live on the 9th floor of a building on one of the highest hills in the city, flooding was no issue for us.

The pics of that GO Train were interesting. Surprised the whole thing didn't slide and go on its side.

People all had a story today...kinda like when we have a snow storm.

And it took somebody about 15 minutes to make a "call in the navy" joke.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Meanwhile, this patch of BC is having the most sublime weather imaginable. About 23 to 25 every day, bright sunshine. And I just flew on a seaplane for the first time in my life, from Victoria back to Vancouver after catching the ferry this morning.

I'm vaguely aware that life sucks elsewhere, but it's kind of hard to ignore how amazing it is here at the moment.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snakes on a Train!

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Army, Navy and Air Force are on a roll. The Navy got its curl back and the Army as of yesterday got its pips and crowns back. (I'll bet the pips are actually Maple Leaves, but whatever).

At this rate the only holdout is the Air Force and its ranks. I will lay odds that we'll have Air Marshals and Squadron Leaders back within six months, at which time the dreadfulness of 1968 will have been expunged.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Sounds like more Harper Circus stuff to keep the masses quiescent, SPK.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Actually I support this initiative, the whole Unification thing was a fiasco.

But then again I am a right-wing Dipper.

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only when they split the medical, chaplaincy and supply/ordnance/whatever its called corps into three distinct bodies, none of them talking to each other, will the 1968 reforms be undone.

Then, for example, we can have three distinct groups of people doing the same job of administration, but in different ways, each with its own approach, computers, pay systems and so on -- and none of it interchangeable between the army, the navy and the air force.

Then we can have chaplains properly army, navy and air force -- three separate lots with incompatible rank systems and no transferrability among them.

Medical people can sign up for the army knowing they'll never have to dirty their hands with mere air force injuries.

1968 may have gone too far, but you show your age and lack of experience by not thinking about the vast waste of money and the incredible inefficiency of the previous system -- which was the reason for the reform in the first place.

It's hard enough now to get anything reasonable through DND, and a lot harder since the present government started reversing 1968. Heaven forbid we should go back to pre-1968...in the modern world that way lies only madness and armed forces so tied up by bureaucracy that they wouldn't be able to get a place into the air (ssupposing we have any planes capable of flight), any vessel to sea (supposing...) or any tank into a field (once again supposing...)

John

[ 10. July 2013, 20:05: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

[Snore]

I am aware of the "Purple Trades Problem" and the horrid lack of co-ordination; but these issues have plagued many countries of our size and many larger ones too. Most modern NATO militaries have moved towards unification of support elements and greater service integration WITHOUT going all the way to the gratuitous stripping of identity and tradition that Canada engaged in.

See Belgium and the UK for examples.

And please, "young whipper-snapper" finger-wagging comments are entirely unbecoming in AS.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...And please, "young whipper-snapper" finger-wagging comments are entirely unbecoming in AS.

Actually SPK I think that decision is up to the All Saints Hosting Team.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Sorry. Couldn't think of a better rejoinder without actually breaking the rules.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

It's 34C today and the humidex is 43C!!

And the heat has not yet reached its apex (It's 2 pm!)

[Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even I would agree that is getting warm!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Not a really chatty lot, are we? Granted, most of the stuff we talk about around here is mostly in Purgatory or Hell.

[Disappointed]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Not a really chatty lot, are we? Granted, most of the stuff we talk about around here is mostly in Purgatory or Hell.

[Disappointed]

I didn't know if this was the thread I should have used to mention my S Bartholomew's Day dinner, with shrimp and chicken with peppers skewered on the BBQ-- sauce Mornay available for the potatoes.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Of course it is the right thread.

Now that you've been affirmed, shaddup! I'm trying to lose weight! [Waterworks]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

The Toronto Medical Officer of Health is beside himself with glee today. The Cronut Burger, an abomination of cholesterol, fat, sugar and general unhealth has in fact been declared a public health hazard and the stall serving it has been shut down.

150 got food poisoning from it. Which isn't a heart attack, I'll grant you, but it's still out of circulation.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are there any Shippies in Vancouver ?
A student from our church is heading out this week to do a year of her Uni course there

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If memory serves, ships cat is out that aways and also Anglican Brat (though he may be on Vancouver island)
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

[Disappointed]

I didn't know if this was the thread I should have used to mention my S Bartholomew's Day dinner, with shrimp and chicken with peppers skewered on the BBQ-- sauce Mornay available for the potatoes.
What, no spit-roasted Calvinists? [Help]

--------------------

ship's cat

stowaway
# 11793

- Posted      Profile for ship's cat   Email ship's cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in Vancouver. You're welcome to pm me.
Posts: 310 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by ship's cat:

Hiya Ship's Cat! How's it going, eh? WK should take your advice!

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ship's cat:

PM sent !

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

quote:
The Toronto Medical Officer of Health is beside himself with glee today. The Cronut Burger, an abomination of cholesterol, fat, sugar and general unhealth has in fact been declared a public health hazard and the stall serving it has been shut down.

150 got food poisoning from it. Which isn't a heart attack, I'll grant you, but it's still out of circulation.

I get nauseated just from the description and photo of the burger. Forget the dubious nutritive value, it's a gustatory debacle.

--------------------

my blog

ship's cat

stowaway
# 11793

- Posted      Profile for ship's cat   Email ship's cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Pete! It feels very good to be remembered. [Smile]

Not sure my advice was too helpful in this case as my knowledge is predominantly Anglican.

Looking forward to my first visit to Toronto in over 20 years next month, sadly too short (2 nights) to try and meet up with any cool kids on that side of the country.

--------------------
Custom without truth is but the longevity of error. St Cyprian

Posts: 310 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Interesting wedding today. The wedding was Muslim (complete with imam) the dinner was French-Canadian and the dancing started out with an exotic dancer in the Egyptian tradition. One little boy (about 6) went absolutely big-eyed when she came on and grabbed the table's disposable camera to snap off a few of her demonstrating her belly button control. But I confess I left when the disco started. Or whatever they call epilepsy-inducing flashing lights these days.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016