homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada sometimes chats : 2013 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada sometimes chats : 2013
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Wacky" to me doesn't describe Ford. It's too playful a word and implies willfulness and a modicum of intelligence. If he's an alcoholic or if he's got a narcissistic personality disorder, as some with psychiatric cred have suggested, or both, then obviously he's ill and not entirely in control of himself. (Which is not to say that he doesn't need to take responsibility for his actions.)

I liked the way Jon Stewart took a serious turn on this when he was lampooning Ford earlier this week; he acknowledged that Ford is in danger of seriously harming himself and urged him to get help.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
"Wacky" to me doesn't describe Ford. It's too playful a word and implies willfulness and a modicum of intelligence.
Yeah, for wackiness, Mel Lastman fit the taxonomy better than Ford. Though he did have a few more serious forays into personal dysfunction, eg. the children he never acknowledged.

With Ford, I choke up ever so slightly when I hear him giving what must be these gut-wrenching press scrums to admit his misbehaviour. Overall, though, I am inclined to regard him as the master of his own misfortune.

[ 09. November 2013, 16:58: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ford Nation takes a biblical turn

Just as an observation, that particular verse lends itself a little too well to self-interested appropriation. In politics, anyway, I usually hear it applied to people that the speaker has a pre-exisiting inclination to support. No one ever quotes it in regards to their Number 1 Enemy.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a difference between stoning somebody and letting them get away with being a homophobic, racist alcohol addicted and crack using liar who consorts with criminals who do illegal things on his behalf.

Oh, and coaches high school football while doing this.

That and somebody has a lot of money they can throw around. I suspect the city will find out who it is, so we will all find out who was behind that sign.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting -- the city has now had the billboard removed for its unauthorized use of the city logo.

--------------------
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea. St-Exupery

my blog

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
Interesting -- the city has now had the billboard removed for its unauthorized use of the city logo.

I'm normally one to allow a bit of leeway for appropriation, especially of civic symbols. But in that case, the use of the logo could definitely give the impression of official city endorsement.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just watched the ceremony at the National Cenotaph. This year was hard for me as the last veteran of the European War in my extended family died this year. Ninety-three years old - he was a boy when he enlisted in 1939 and fought his way through Europe and the liberation of the Netherlands.

Thank you,Joe. You were an inspiration your whole life and a great role model for me.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For reasons I really can't fathom, Facebook posted a "suggested post" on my feed-page yesterday asking for my "love and support of Rob Ford as a human being".

As I'm not entirely sure that he is a fully-paid-up human being, they'll have to do without it.

What on earth made them think I'd want to give it anyway?

[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I'm wondering if Ford is in the running for wackiest Canadian politician ever.

Check out Amor de Cosmos for an earlier sample.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And don't forget Wacky Bennett and Wacky Bennett, junior.

What is it about British Columbia?

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are people who still support this lecherous drug using lying hypocrite.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They don't call it "Lotus Land" for nothing, Pete.

On Mayor Ford, [Eek!]

The man is alleged to have taken enough drugs and alcohol in one day to kill a large horse.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a horse? Haven't heard about that yet. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
And don't forget Wacky Bennett and Wacky Bennett, junior.
[/i]

Apparently, Bill Vander Zalm has recently been promoting chemtrail conspiracy theories.

[ 14. November 2013, 01:24: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... What is it about British Columbia?

It's the wacky baccy - it's compulsory there, isn't it? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

And another weird and wild Wednesday in Toronto comes to a close. I was at city hall today for the Save Toronto rally...wondering if Ford Nation will put on a rally of their own.

--------------------

my blog

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the very least, we can thank Rob Ford for saving this thread from Oblivion.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

So he's not a complete waste of (quite a lot of) space then? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, his waist does occupy a lot of space.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

OSKI WEE WEE

That is all.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
OSKI WEE WEE

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it means that Hamilton Tiger Cats did well playing something sport related over the weekend.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Next Sunday is Grey Cup weekend, an iconic one in the Canadian sports calendar. Who wins is immaterial. We, most of us, just have an excuse to have a party and get soused. The TV must, however, remain on, even if the sound is muted.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erm, I could make the comment that a Sunday isn't a weekend but why bother?

[Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Who wins is immaterial ...

Immaterial to everybody, or just to you?

**googles "Grey Cup" to find out what sport it's awarded for** [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think it is tiddlywinks.

--------------------

# 3200

My 18 year old daughter has never seen the Ti-Cats in the Grey Cup.

Sunday was a great day.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Erm, I could make the comment that a Sunday isn't a weekend but why bother?

[Biased]

The Grey Cup starts on Friday - often when a Western visitor rides a horse into a hotel.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Obviously they have a stable relationship!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I just had to share this Ford spoof.

--------------------

Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

Great video, Pete -- thanks! Considering it was made in May, before we knew about the police surveillance of Ford's clandestine meetings with Lisi and the mysterious packages, it's quite prescient!

We're all hoping things settle down now with the mayor's day-to-day duties curtailed. It'll be good for Torontonians to see some right-of-centre fiscal management without all of Ford's histrionics and idiocy -- a strong, moderate, dignified, well-spoken conservative could pick up right-leaning votes from all but the core of Ford Nation and either win or split the vote for a left-leaning candidate to win.

But he and Doug are really lapping up all the attention from US media -- I wonder if they realize that they are all laughing at them. Doug's "White Obama" remark is quite bizarre -- how does he come up with this stuff? Doesn't he realize that we can all remember back to the 2010 election, and that we all know that there were no such headlines? And that no one who knows Rob Ford's politics would think for a moment that he was a social liberal? And is he thinking (if such a word could be applied to him) that they can no longer depend on Ford Nation to carry the vote, and now they have to reach out to liberals?

--------------------

my blog

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

If you live in the bubble you have created, then you just know that everyone supports you.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

The weather outside is frightful, Toronto's going to Hell in a handbasket, Parliament is falling apart, the Arsey Em Pee is supplementing their salaries working for the private sector.

And ... and ...

Nothing new here, then. You?

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go Riders!

-- Grey Cup tomorrow. The cat will get eaten!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

Riders are prohibitive favourites everywhere.

All the pressure will be on them.

Test will be in the coaching.

--------------------

# 3200

Happy for fans in Sask. Once in a lifetime game for them. They deserve it.

And that crowd....that was the loudest CFL crowd we'll probably ever see for a Grey Cup. Unlike most Grey Cups, there were hardly any fans from somewhere else.

--------------------

# 3200

Oh, and I am very happy to see that the politics of exclusion did not win in Toronto Centre tonight.

I'm no fan of any of the big 3 parties, but for the party of Tommy Douglas to run a campaign largely based on somebody not being from around these parts was just too much to stomach.

Earth to the NDP - almost all of us who live in Toronto are not from around here.

Again, get over your hatred of the Libs. Its going to kill your chances in 2015.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh I dunno Og.

I'm waiting to see how the poll-by-poll results play out, because Toronto Centre is being redistributed into two new ridings, Spadia-Fort York and University-Rosedale. And since the NDP has all the real estate in surrounding ridings, both get two scoops of Orange.

Strategy: The art of losing a single battle but still still winning the war.

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
# 3200

Given 25% of those wards voted for Rob Ford in 2010, I'd say nothing is set in stone anymore

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Ah, but did they vote for Ford the conservative tax cutter, or Ford the populist? We haven't seen a crazy populist right-winger in Canadian politics in a while, not since the Socreds imploded.

Anyway, it's snowing outside. [Help]

[Waterworks]

[ 27. November 2013, 02:20: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Ah, but did they vote for Ford the conservative tax cutter, or Ford the populist? We haven't seen a crazy populist right-winger in Canadian politics in a while, not since the Socreds imploded.

Anyway, it's snowing outside. [Help]

[Waterworks]

Crazy right wing populist? Were you asleep for the Presto Manning daze and crap (Cdn Reform Alliance Party)? Stundo Harper is the handshake your kid heir to the throne even if morphed into the Constupidive Party. -- or maybe its me that sees the right as its always been, versus the tendency for the extreme right to have labelled the mere right as the middle.
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Neither Preston Manning nor Stephen Harper are crazy. Populists possibly, though the mantle barely fits Harper. Successful yes, populist, no.

Neither had a personal meltdown in public. Ford has. Harper's personal life is irrelevant.

--------------------

Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's so comforting to her that other country's politicians are apparently even worse than our (British) ones!
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
... and such a shame that I didn't check my spelling: for "her" read "hear".
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

You wait. Your turn will come...

especially now that exclamatory populism with little substance sells so well.

Ford still has the backing of the "Ford Nation" and will have for just as long as Rush Limbaugh can maintain his reach. Bombast will actually get you somewhere.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

# 3200

I guess my point SPK was that the downtown core ridings are in such flux with people coming and going that counting on a neighbourhood for votes doesn't really work anymore. Incumbency matters but party loyalty is not as important as it used to be. People are more focused on a mix of policy and personality

Which brings challenges and opportunities for all 4 of the national parties.

Trudeau has to be careful as he might come across as too cute by half.

Mulcair has to be careful because he seems to naturally reside in the mood of the grumpy lawyer.

Harper..well he's a known and his biggest issue is voter's saying enough is enough.

May has to get past the idea that her party is quirky.

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heading to New Brunswick for the weekend. Could do an early lunch in Moncton or a later lunch in Saint John on Friday if anyone is around. Heading back on Sunday but I hear there is to be a big snow so not sure if that will happen or not.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Does Snoopy dance

By Saturday I will have forgotten that snow even exists!

Spins and twirls

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Safe travels, Pete! [Smile]

Not much danger of us forgetting what sn*w looks like - they're forecasting 20-30cm for Sunday-Monday.

Now if it would just fall overnight on Sunday, with enough to justify a sn*w-day ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

*SPK pops his head out of a snowbank

Did someone order snow? At least my neighbour lets me borrow her snowblower.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016