homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Canada sometimes chats : 2013 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Canada sometimes chats : 2013
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today's snow was perfect. It had the diamond-glistening in the silver light which reflects how December must be in celestial realms. It was light and fluffy, to the point that a scalp-tattooed neighbour one street over shovelled four walks from her exuberance, and my own 2-doors-down neighbour (a veteran of a year at l'Arche) came over to ask if I didn't mind if she shovelled my walk as well.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We really should have a word for the sort of snow that makes you want to help your neighbour.

Went out on an errand yesterday and enjoyed the wind and the snow. Person I went to see wondered why I would go out in that and I just stated I grew up going out in that stuff.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
We really should have a word for the sort of snow that makes you want to help your neighbour ...

There's a word for the sort of neighbour who offers to shovel your snow. It's saint. Unfortunately, for the most part my neighbours aren't that sort.

The snow started, pretty much as promised, during Evensong, is now blowing around in a Good King Wenceslas-ish fashion and will doubtless soon be deep and crisp, if not exactly even.

Goodbye, sidewalk - I'll see you at Easter. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a confession. I was out calling old NDP members in this riding, getting them to renew, and I asked them for donations to the Party.

I am now a Bagman.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, but if you had offered to shovel their walk, you would have also been a saint - at least in piglet's eyes!

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you (and your spade) fancy a trip to Newfoundland, SPK? [Big Grin]

We got about a foot of snow, but possibly due to the intervention of an ill-natured fairy, it had stopped actually falling by the morning and the roads had been ploughed, so we didn't get a snow-day.

Bollocks. [Frown]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nah, I had my share of snow when I lived in northern New Brunswick. [Big Grin]

Though nothing reaffirms your manliness like using a large gas-powered tool to throw stuff. Take that as you will. [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't mind some snow, especially when it looks like this. Ada Boulevard is one of my favourite walks, and it's absolutely beautiful this time of year.

Anybody need their walk cleaned? One of my frustrations in living in a condo is that I can no longer wield my mighty shovel. I am, as it were, a snow removal artiste sans studio.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Nah, I had my share of snow when I lived in northern New Brunswick. [Big Grin]

Though nothing reaffirms your manliness like using a large gas-powered tool to throw stuff. Take that as you will. [Biased]

You have a gas-powered tool?

Hmmm. THe mind boggles.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... nothing reaffirms your manliness like using a large gas-powered tool ...

[Killing me] [Eek!] [Killing me]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

You should see what happens when I pull the cord and the machine starts up....

--------------------

# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Assuming the bloody thing starts.

Like your sig by the way.

[ 20. December 2013, 23:39: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope you are all safe in the foul weather Canada seems to be having

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

You don't have a shirt on, do you Pete? [Biased]

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had the electricity back just on midnight last night after nearly 24 hours without. It wasn't too cold; the wood stove kept us warm, and we cooked on it, too. The well pump dies as soon as the power goes out, so it was an immediate lesson in water conservation. It takes serious will power not to flush... A day without the internet was strangely peaceful, but best of all was the church with no lights except for candles. No power for the organ blower, so just the piano. Things are looking normal today, but it's too cold for the remaining ice on the trees to melt or drop off, so we're waiting for it to happen all over again.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bit belated, but...

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
Ada Boulevard is one of my favourite walks, and it's absolutely beautiful this time of year.

As probably the only person posting on the Ship who knows what you are talking about, I wholeheartedly concur.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothiriel
Shipmate
# 15561

- Posted      Profile for Lothiriel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have been very fortunate: we were without power for only eight hours yesterday, despite power lines down in the next street and throughout the neighbourhood. And even when the power was out, we were comfortable with our gas fireplace.

We seem to be in a fairly small pocket of restored power, though, so I feel rather guilty being able to cook and read and work when we're surrounded by cold dark houses. We've been able to offer help to a few friends, but I wish we could take in a whole streetful of people.

Posts: 538 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Just popping in to wish everyone a merry, safe and, if possible, warm Christmas.

We've got a couple of feet of snow, making this by far the whitest Christmas I've ever seen, but so far no power-cuts.

**crosses fingers, toes, eyes and anything else that can be crossed**

[Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And a Happy Christmas to all Canadians, both on the Ship and floundering in the water.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Merry Christmas from another Atlantic Canadian island which is also beyond snowy. (I shovelled for close to two hours this morning and got about 1/3 of the deck done. It was waist deep.) Had a solidly good day despite all the chaos that is surrounding this week.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

The stores re-opened today; Boxing Day is a statutory holiday in Ontario. There is no deicing salt to be had in this town at all. [Disappointed] My driveway is back in partial commission in that I can get in and out of it, but I still have to melt two broad swaths of ice. My car was iced in until Christmas Eve.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
The stores re-opened today ...

Here too. I decided that post-Christmas (and post-pay-day) treating myself was in order and went shopping.

Wish I hadn't though - I saw nothing whatsoever that caught my fancy. I hate shopping trips like that. [Frown]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I rarely go on shopping trips without seeing something I fancy...

...but they all seem to be married!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I did all my Boxing Day shopping online. I got store-class deals, and free shipping. I needed a new cell phone as my old one is obsolete.

When you live 40 km from the nearest mall and it costs money to go there, online retailing is an attractive alternative.

--------------------

# 3200

We lost power for 3 days (left on Monday, preplanned, power came back here on Tuesday). It was getting cold in the bedrooms - about 9 degrees from what we could figure. Warmest room was about 15. Friend of the daughter still has no power. Enjoyed heat and light once we got to family for Christmas.

Irony - lots of signs in the elevators here wishing everybody warmth for the holidays.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hearing abt the weather to east and power. Wow, what a mess. We are at a cabin on the Sask - Man border. -42° C or F. No skiing until it warms up!

Like SPK, I have a new phone that does internet and we're somewhat cabin feverish waiting for the -35s which is the skiing target temp by agreement today.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
-58 with windchill. I have my hand held weather station with me. Wishwe had some soap bubbles to blow outside.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

-58°????? [Eek!]

Blimey - even I'm shivering thinking about that. It's a positively balmy -3° here (and snowing again) at the moment but due to go back down to -13° tomorrow.

In the 10 years I've been here, actual temperatures much below -10° have been fairly rare, but so far this year's been much colder and with far more pre-Christmas snow than we've seen.

**brrrrrr**

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The joys of Maritime winters. But, at least, if you don't like one type of weather, soon enough you'll have another.

I am quite happy to have moved from Winterpeg to the relatively balmy climate of Moncton

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A lovely feast of S Thomas à Becket in Ottawa, only -27°C with wind chill. Another three degrees, and it will be a fatal exercise for a dog to relieve itself on a street with a NW breeze.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I had the most delightful experience of the Two Solitudes yesterday and today. I live across the street from a No Frills, which is wonderful for the grocery budget. As I passed through the freezer section I noticed they had Chicken Pot Pies marked on sale. St. Hubert's Chicken Pot Pies, with the chicken-in-a-bowtie logo. Perhaps the truck took a wrong turn in Montreal.

I had it for dinner tonight. Delicious, and not loaded on the carb count, which means the manufacturer didn't add extra sugar in processing. Chicken Pot Pies are notorious for that.

St. Hubert's Chicken pies in this Very Anglo Town. Who'd have thought, eh?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016