homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So the NZ parliament has now passed the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill, the 'Gay Marriage Bill', by 77 votes to 44.

Belonging to the Presbyterian network who supported the Bill, while our General Assembly was about 75% against GLBT eligibility in leadership, I was most impressed while watching the debate by the respect shown by all the speakers – none of the interjection, name-calling etc in most debates.

I was also impressed by the honesty of some of the conservative characters who had been persuaded in the course of the three readings to support the bill (thought some had gone the other way).

The final result was followed by a rousing waiata (a maori song) from the gallery, and a great deal of embracing among the members. More aroha than is usually seen in the Chamber.

I think I'm on a bit of a high.

GG

(I did preview it, and made a careless alteration)

[ 17. April 2013, 11:21: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do like New Zealand.
Stepping out with courage.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
I was in Montreal on the weekend for the New Democratic Party of Canada's Federal Policy Convention ... Bill Shorten MP wandered in and we put him on stage as a Guest Speaker ... He was the best speaker of the weekend, by far, and everyone enjoyed him immensely.

By all means, please keep him there!!

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Belonging to the Presbyterian network who supported the Bill

You don't know how how strange that sounds in OZ!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, but a lot of our Presbyterians became Uniting church and we are moving forward, albeit glacially and with great pain.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Yeah, but a lot of our Presbyterians became Uniting church and we are moving forward, albeit glacially and with great pain.

If a Uniting church like yours was formed here, a lot would happily join in. Presbyterian Affirm (who joined a list of 'church leaders' opposing the Bill) would remain aloof. Our own Moderator of Assembly signed because Assembly had this majority against gays in leadership, but when gently reminded that this was hurtful to the gay membership he withdrew his signature and apologised.
Presbyterians that I know who visit Oz avoid Presbyterian churches like the plague but are at home with the Uniting Church. OTOH a Presbyterian minister from Oz who came to Rev Mary's church (in a town much frequented by tourists & holiday visitors) seemed somewhat uncomfortable before a woman minister but was civil and remarked on a favourite hymn in what was probably a pretty Progressive milieu.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Soo sad to hear news of the destruction of Holy Trinity Church hall at Dulwich Hill, Sydney. The hall was used as a youth centre and had had a lot of success in getting troubled youth back on track through the discipline of boxing, the rector fighting Father Dave seems like a great bloke and it's just really sad that something positive has been destroyed in what is assumed is an arson attack.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had two Presbyterians at our UCA church this morning. They were visiting us from NSW,, and really enjoyed having a woman minister.
They increased our numbers to 17.... At least 10 folk were away today, or maybe, at 5c. it was just too cold to get out of bed.
Anyway, two lovely women, good singing voices.... Great visitors.
They chose us because there is no Prezzie Church around for kilometres. I guess we were the next best thing.
I am rumoured to preach a leftie, liberal kinda message, but they felt at home...

Today's big issue was the formation of a Breakfast Club across the road from us, at the little school. The new chaplain is very enthusiastic about this. I outlined various ways our church could be involved, including giving money, which I would pass on to the chaplain. Now I assume our church will formally give a donation, but I was thrilled with the response of two elderly ladies- one of our visitors and one of my lot, who just have gifts on the spot. Lovely..

We then had morning tea, and finally got to race home to our heaters and fireplaces.

[ 21. April 2013, 07:52: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know GG (and others may have said this!) when I see your sig line I always feel tempted to cite G.Thom logion 114 ...

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
You know GG (and others may have said this!) when I see your sig line I always feel tempted to cite G.Thom logion 114 ...

Touché!

So how exactly do we interpret that?

GG

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Dear kind host – my first post of 21 April vanished when I dropped off line, was replaced and then popped up after all. Please would you delete the second version?

GG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's done - I thought you were getting a bit repetitive!

WW
AS Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:

So how exactly do we interpret that?

GG

[Paranoid] carefully [Paranoid]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from a couple of weeks in Wellington. I didn't contact anyone because I was very involved with family. My Dad died. I'm still feeling a bit numb.

I am happy to be back home, but got back too late to get Georgie out of the cattery.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to hear that Huia [Votive]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, our prayers for you and your family, and most importantly for your father. May he rest in peace and rise in glory to be with our risen Lord.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, Huia. And take care of yourself, too. [Votive]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers Huia.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia

I'm so sorry

[Votive]

Much love from FD and me

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Huia [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Huia [Votive]

With love

GG

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, prayers for you, your family, and for your father. [Votive]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post 
So sorry to hear this, Huia. I know you and your Dad were very close.
Take care of yourself. xx

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Votive] Huia

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for you and your family, Huia. Having lost both parents I can understand what you are experiencing in terms of numbness. It took me quite some weeks to really grieve for my Dad. It all came out during the culmination of a parish mission, where I burst into floods of tears in front of the whole congregation, but the love and care of those around me was wonderful. Look after yourself, especially after all the other stressors which have been in your own life.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lest we forget

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gallipoli - Memorial at Anzac Cove by Ataturk.
"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives…
You are now living in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours…
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Ataturk, 1934

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Huia & family

[Votive] The ANZACs; Britain's best allies for a very long time. Many thanks.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
McChicken
Shipmate
# 2555

- Posted      Profile for McChicken   Author's homepage   Email McChicken   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I actually wrote this quite a few years ago, but when I was previously on SOF I used to share a poem every Anzac Day, so I thought I'd do so again (if you don't mind).

Behind The Lines (1914-1918)

On the lines
where blood and water meet
Miles of trenches
and miles of wire
No-Man’s Land
is Dead Man’s Land
Young men face death
Young men grow old
On the lines
where young men die

Behind the lines
where life-blood flows
Doctors never sleep
and the dead never wake
Each man’s bed
is a dead man’s bed
Pretence of hope
Shortage of life
Behind the lines
where young men die

Behind the lines
where blood is thicker than water
Columns of names
ranks of the dead
Any man’s name
is a dead man’s name
Fathers, brothers, sons –
Names in the paper
Between the lines
are young men mourned

Behind the lines
where wine and champagne flow
Counters are moved
and dice are thrown
Dead men’s faces
are strangers’ faces
Old men decide
Young men’s fates
Behind the lines
are young men killed

--------------------
"We're not playing tiddly-winks here mate."
"While the opposite of a true statement is a false statement, the opposite of a profound truth can be another profound truth."

Posts: 634 | From: Ko Ngati Pakeha raua ko Ngai Tahu ahau | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Huia [Votive]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Huia... in my prayers.

##################

Thankyou for the poem above.
No services to lead this Anzac Day, being but my first in this town. Kinda strange. No doing. Just being an ordinary person, but I appreciated the chance to be so.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry, Huia, just noticed this. My deepest sympathies.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]
Huia.
I know this one, sadly. My father died not twelve months ago.
Leaves a hole in your life and an ache in the heart.

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia [Votive]

My dad is gone too. It is hard.
Spent some of ANZAC Day with my 95yr old Mum.
It would have been her 67th wedding anniversary today.

Life is full of road bumps. Sigh.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the prayers. I've woken up a bit less numb today, with plans to plant the daffodil bulbs I didn't manage at Easter. There's something about a death that calls for an affirmation of life.

Huia

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dear Huia - I am so very sorry,

Prayers for your Dad and you [Votive]

God bless.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Pete.

I rang my youngest brother on whom most of the sorting out and legal stuff has landed and he sounds overwhelmed as he is also starting a new job with more paperwork than he expected. Oldest bro is doing his best, and is a good worker, but not a good organiser so I'm going back up to boss everyone around (a-hem help with organisation)

I don't really want to go, but I don't see any other option. I will have to return on Sunday - which, being the last day of the school holidays will not be fun - If I'm lucky the world might end before then [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia

Take care.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Huia.

We have just finished our first trip to NZ. We didn't have the time to fit in a meet, but we did get to see some of Wellington, Rotorua and Auckland. We'll be back.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the big house 50-60 extra bodies made a LOT of noise yesterday - the Australia & New Zealand Association of Bellringers kept the bells peeling all day, with 24 bodies in the belltower at any given time. I knew about ANZAC, but ANZAB was a new one! Anyway, it seems there was hearty ringing, hearty eating and hearty fellowship.

I wonder what bellringers can talk about for two days at a conference? The mind boggles. [Eek!]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Vulpior, I'm not biassed or anything [Roll Eyes] but you missed the most beautiful part of New Zealand, so of course you'll have to come back.

The good news is that I can shift the day I'm returning, so I'm coming back on the Monday. which shouldn't be as busy. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
...I wonder what bellringers can talk about for two days at a conference? The mind boggles. [Eek!]

I bet they go like the clappers!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
...I wonder what bellringers can talk about for two days at a conference? The mind boggles. [Eek!]

I bet they go like the clappers!
Wodders that is the kind of pun my Dad enjoyed. As his grandson said when we were interring the ashes, "If Grandad was made redundant he could always get a job writing jokes to go in Christmas crackers".

This is probably not a good time to ask as I will be off internet for the next week or so, but has anyone heard from Lothlorien lately?

I have been given a couple of days off next week so I no longer have to travel on the last day of the holidays [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Huia , we had coffee with her brother after the local Anzac Day service. Now, we don't normally make her a subject of conversation, but I'm sure that if there were something seriously wrong, he would have mentioned it.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

I've been wondering about Lothlorien too, haven't seen her around at all, sent her a PM but it remains unopened. I hope she's away with her Grandkids or something, it's been school hols here, she might have been doing Grandmotherly duties and too busy for the ship.
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Star Wars Day people!

(how on earth did this thread get so close to falling off the first page?)

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And also with you.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

We saw Lothlorien's brother and nephew at the BG the other evening. He said that she had been looking after a sick granddaughter for the last day or so, but that otherwise he knew of nothing.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Gee D.

Am back home again and don't want to go back to Wellington for a loooong time. If there is anything in reincarnation I am coming back as an orphan whose siblings are all celibate [brick wall] .

Huia

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Someone, somewhere once wrote about how we all have a biological family and then we have a logical family - and although the terms are not necessarily mutually exclusive in theory, they are often are in practice.

I cope well with my biological family at about eight and half thousand kilometres distance - that is about the perfect separation.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016