homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you.
It is kinda wet.
Well, very.
Totally actually.

We keep losing power too. Thank God for wood heaters.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all for your concerns. I looked in here yesterday. Life basically ran over me. I've not been well, am not actually depressed but certainly not on top of the world. Arthritis problems have flared badly and there have been a couple of days when it has been difficult to walk much more than 100 metres. Shoulder is bad and lifelong sinus problems have risen again.

A friend has dragged me out a couple of times to visit friends down south and has taken me to lunch a couple of times at local cafes.

Evangeline, I have spoken to Fr G. but probably not for about six weeks now.

Problems with family too. Son who was kicked out by partner is not too bad but there was also an added complication of work spill caused by our beloved premier. It took about two months for him to get his old job back and he is now permanent instead of contracting as he did for eight years.

However, we are watching his ex self destruct through bad choices and decisions. Not the person we all though we knew and she has become involved with a real scum bag to use my sister's term. Even her friends are worried about her.

Eldest son is not well. He really had to have back operation last year as he could not live as he was then. He has been meticulous about rehab, but the operation has not been the success we all hoped for. In addition, he and his wife seem to have put aside their discernment regarding a friend and they are planning on going to France in a few weeks on what I consider to be something weird. Have sold most of their six or seven properties and are giving away al sorts of things. I have no idea how he thinks he will travel as he cannot sit for more than abut ten minutes.

Middle son has been made redundant from his not-for-profit placement agency.

Just too much on my plate.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, I am sorry for your aches and pains. I wish that your family could sort itself out. Many prayers from here to you. God bless. [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, not good news at all on many fronts. Prayers for you and your family.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to hear from you Loth, but sorry to hear about the slew of problems and dramas [Frown]

[Votive]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, you have our prayers. My wife has had to go onto pain patches over the last couple of moths for similar arthritic pain. She was almost unable to function on some days, but is now approaching some normality. Please don't let the black dog get you. We've been there as well, and wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth [Votive] I've missed you.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My prayers too.

If you were just watching the weather channel.... It was my town they kept mentioning re floods and rain.
Not very comforting!
But we survive!

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Loth and family.

Without any expectation of anything in particular, I just thought I'd share that I turned 50 today. Nice breakfast with family, church, footy, then performed, and watched Biggest perform, at a casual open mic acoustic afternoon at church.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Mr C - Oh, to be 50 again.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Happy birthday.
Still rainrainrainrain. Went for a drive this afternoon.... The sightseeing thing. It was quite interesting, seeing the floods.
My house, and need my side of town is safe, but damp.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rowen and the people of your area [Votive]

Happy Birthday Mr Curly - may they all last as long [Biased]

Loth I'm glad to see you posting again - I have been thinking of you and wondering how you are. Having so much going on at once can be awfully draining - I hope you can do something good for yourself.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday Mr Curly! We Geminis have lots to celebrate and share. It's a long time since I turned 50, but I shared in my grandson's first birthday party yesterday which was a joyful day.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
here's a challenge for us, perhaps you can help.

3 diamond doves are here. In Haines, Alaska.

I have no idea how they got here. However, they seem to think they're cold (it's breaking heat records for us!) and they're big old targets for the eagles. We need to live trap them.

So, my darling Aussies, and particularly of the bird nerd variety - what food can we coax them in with? I'm reading grass seed is their natural food, which at the moment the natural world here has in abundance. We need something really delicious to grab their attention. Ideas? What would make Christmas for a couple of really lost Australian diamond doves?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Where's Athrawes when you need her? No idea what kind of seed would most tempt a diamond dove. The crested pigeons around here seem to like the crushed acorns on our driveway, and the Chinese pistachio tree. Maybe some crushed nuts?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Comet, I would PM Athrawes, she may have an idea - although I think parrots are more her thing.

Getting colder here and snow is expected - I want enough for a day off school [Razz] (no snow ploughs here). Water is cascading down the Port Hills and I am wondering about the possibility of a slip as they are less stable since the quakes.

Huia

--------------------

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth [Votive] heartfelt thoughts and prayers. Life is very hard at times, isn't it?

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

Hi Comet,

Try here for some suggestions.

They may have escaped from someone's aviary.

Did the move to Haines go smoothly?

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
thanks, everyone!

they might be escapees, but it's a small town here and I'm not hearing of anyone who has an aviary. birds are tricky here - even with central heat the power often goes out during winter storms so there's always a risk of it getting too cold for exotics.

move was essentially smooth, BA, thanks for asking! it's a long haul with a lot of stuff to get here, but hey - I'm here now! haven't landed a solid job yet, but that will come. heat is doing my head in. getting into the 30s C! (stop laughing! that's crazy for us!)

the doves are purported to have first been noted about the time you were in the 'hood, BA. did you leave anyone behind? [Biased]

[ 17. June 2013, 03:07: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Ok, just happened to be speaking with someone who is a serious contributor to a bird watching magazine. He says the only real way to tempt birds into a trap is with a bird call they recognize as their own species. This can be downloaded via an ap on your cellphone.
He is very interested in your story of Aussie birds in Alaska - reckons it might make a good article. I am pm-ing you with his contact details - he can text you the ap details too.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

thanks, Banner Lady. I'll put him in contact with my mom, she's an ornithologist here. (which is how I got in the middle of this) I'm sure she'd be happy to help his with his article. I'll pass along to her the info on calling. She was talking about doing that, anyway.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

(missed the edit window)

mom asked me to correct myself- she is not technically an ornithologist, she is a naturalist who specializes in birds and bears.
I was sloppy with my language.

(it's just so AWESOME living with my mom again and getting corrected and stuff! way to feel 12 again! whee! [Biased] )

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Ah yes, my mum is 95 and still trying to organize me! (Pushing molasses up hill there).

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh God. Mothers.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Loth
[Votive] Dampness in Rowenville
[Votive] for Zappa and mothers... er Zappa, was this something you were called or is the issue with another human being?

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I suspect your Mum had her hands full with you, Zappa.

I simply try to stay out of my children's lives. This makes me a "cold and distant, uncaring type mother", as opposed to an "interfering old biddy." I'm sure there's a place somewhere in between that's right, but I haven't found it yet, and neither have they. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me] Actually she sent me to boarding school aged eight, so I don't think I troubled her too much. Still don't. Except apparently I don't ring often enough. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Floods holding their own, or going down. Rain occasional now... As opposed to constant. Still cold of cours. and muddy.
Bad head cold though.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

We were being threatened with snow tomorrow and Friday, but they've revised this to sleet for areas under 200 metres above sea level and the forecast overnight temperature low for Saturday has beem revised to -4 rather than -6.

It's quite amazing. I went to do my usual weekly shop and the supermarket shelves only has really expensive artisan bread left and I think I bought the last 2 litres of cheap milk. Thank goodness no one seemed to be overbuying cat food, so there was heaps of that for the fat'n'fluffy one.

I intend to wait out the bad weather with 6 litres of bacon hock and vege soup which I've just made in the crockpot.

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
[Killing me] Actually she sent me to boarding school aged eight, so I don't think I troubled her too much. Still don't. Except apparently I don't ring often enough. [Disappointed]

Zappa nobody rings often enough.

[ 19. June 2013, 10:22: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Love the sound of your soup Huia. I've just finished spicy sweet potato and fresh ginger soup. Was given the freshly dug ginger. Before that was celeriac and bacon with homemade bread. Fresh, cheap and nutritious.

I haven't been shopping for weeks and weeks. Have hardly walked at all as hip and shoulder were so bad. I have changed grocery suppliers and all seems well. Fruit and veg come from a small outfit I've used since moving here. I can order a set box or buy box for refundable deposit and choose my own filling. Good quality and fresh. Brought to my bench.

I prefer to choose my own meat but have been getting meat from a restaurant supplier which I have used for years. Not much dearer than supermarket, properly butchered without splinters of bones etc or scrappy chunks of chicken. Vacuum sealed and delivered to my kitchen bench.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But Mothers can do that to their sons, whether they're 8 or 50-something. They know what buttons to push. Bless 'em.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am hugely annoyed at the Health system. Two seriously complex cases, both requiring immediate responses. One a serious risk to other people, the other profoundly mentally unwell with tissue, bone and ligament damage at a level that would render most of us thoroughly insane, were neglected and poorly attended to by a Health system that is, at best, unhealthy.
I suspect cloaca will become chaotically airborne when my letter hits the system.

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:

Once every school holidays might be appropriate...

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Smile]

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
We were being threatened with snow tomorrow and Friday, but they've revised this to sleet for areas under 200 metres above sea level and the forecast overnight temperature low for Saturday has beem revised to -4 rather than -6.

Howling wind (up to 170km so far) and rain here - our new garden shed has parted company with its bolts and is now in pieces by the back door and the wheelbarrow is teetering where I can't reach it about to fall over the path. I had a very scary drive to and from Wainuiomata tonight for work - motorway speed signs down to 50 because of the wind. All the way through our session the lights were flickering as though we were in a B-grade horror movie, and when I reached Lower Hutt, the power was out to about half the area.

I like the idea of your soup, Huia, sounds exactly right for hunkering down in the cold. Any other Kiwis enjoying the extreme weather?

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

The soup itself is wonderful but at some cost. I fell over a week ago and had grumbling pain in my ribs which I attributed to bruising. Yesterday I picked up the 6 litre crockpot full of soup and caused myself futher damage.

I know I am a total wuss about pain, but this was horrible and for a while all I could do was stand there clutching my side. I couldn't ring a friend because even speaking hurt. Fortunately I found a few paracodiene in the cupboard but am going to the doctor today because the three I have left won't get me through the weekend.

Meanwhile Georgie-Porgy, lunatic cat is out in the gale force sleet [Eek!] I know she has safe hidey-holes, but I wish she would come in.

Huia

[ 20. June 2013, 19:36: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
Any other Kiwis enjoying the extreme weather?

Extremely relieved not to be there!

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope the doctor can help you Huia, sounds horrible.

My main concern about the storm has been alleviated - Rosie's very elderly parents have power. I hope the 30,000 households without it get it back soon.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just catching up after wondering where everyone was: for a week my computer didn't tell me there was a page 13.

Loth, good to hear you're okay, even with all your problems. My sore foot pales into insignificance. May you see light at the end of the tunnel. [Votive]

Arabella and Huia – where we are it could have been a lot worse. Slept soundly and the only 'damage' we found outside was the rubbish and recycling bins blown over. Prayers with all you workers who have to go out in the storm, and hope it's already blowing itself out. Don't know if it's a 10-year storm or a 100-year storm but neither means anything these days.

Happy birthday Mr Curley. I won't say 'Oh to be 50 again' because even 80 is fun when you have all your faculties and not too many aches. On Tuesday I began my annual treat at High School with 8 eager gifted 12/13-year-olds starting 4 sessions on history and geography of language. Will I still be doing it when I'm 90???

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thank you GG. Was moving more easily this week but everything has seized up again, possibly because of cold weather and I have barely been hobbling today. I have just seen forecast of cold and wild days for weekend but not as badly as NZ had it. Flood watch out for several rivers. So far only "watch" not "warning."

Am copying Huia's example and making soup, a winter staple in my place. Potato and leek this time. Fresh bread made this morning and easy to make more.

Did others see the animated gif on Google for winter solstice today? I wondered at first if it was for Julia Gillard who is a knitter but title says it's a solstice celebration.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I thought of you when I saw it Loth. Hats and collar and used frequently and ver welcome in this weather..

The verdict from the GP was cracked rib/s and possible retinal damage (which I though was light refracting through a scratch in my glasses lens [Roll Eyes] ). Retinal scan Monday. Meanwhile heavy duty painkillers, with kiwifruit for the side-effects.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From Lothlorien:

quote:
Am copying Huia's example and making soup, a winter staple in my place. Potato and leek this time. Fresh bread made this morning and easy to make more.
Yum. My potato & leek starts with sauteed potatoes in butter, goes on with leeks and white wine, milk, finally sour cream. A reaction to the tinned stuff.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Yes, definitely soup weather. We had home made minestrone last night. It will be pumpkin, sweet potato and leek tonight.

Yesterday morning I drove from Canberra to Goulburn. It was 2 degrees at 11am, and Lake George looked very Tolkienish, with long drifts of cloud around the base of the surrounding hills.

TP has taken to wearing a white cotton glove over his arthritic hand, with a black fingerless one over the top. He says it helps keep the pain at bay during the cold weather, but it does look rather like he has one skeleton hand. Not sure how the grandchildren will cope with it!

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

BL, when I was in Perth a few years ago I got some rubbing oil that was recommended by the Arthritis ?Foundation, and it has been very effective when my hands have been painful. Am I allowed to name stuff? Anyway it's called El**** and contains eucalyptus and tea tree oil.

GG

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GG that leek and potato sounds positively decadent.

My retina is apparently OK, but I have posterior vitreous detachment. It seems that some similar symptoms can show up for serious problems and common, not so serious ones. This is one of the reasonably common and not-so-serious ones [Yipee] In time the floaty bits and the flashes of light should lessen.

The other good news is that they have started to dig foundations for rebuilding the supermarkst. As the land is swampy they have to dig deep. Mountains of small rocks are being buried to stabilise the ground. I was told completion date would probably be around Easter, and was tempted to say something about resurrection, but didn't know if that comment would upset my informant, so refrained.

Huia -sporadically diplomatic [Biased]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Well, that's both good and bad news about your eye. How are your aches and pains from your fall coming along?

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Six months 'til Christmas

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Six months 'til Christmas

Ssssssshhhhhhhh!!! Don't tell Wodders. He'll have the xx months to Christmas thread up and running again!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooooh! Thanks for the reminder!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016