homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please spare a thought and a prayer for this long-time lay preacher taking her turn again tomorrow after several months' break. And for the little flock at St Andrew's-by-the-Sea.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:

Shakes seem to have settled down quite a bit. I think the best outcome is the number of people I know who have got their emergency kit together.

[Hot and Hormonal] I haven't quite got it together again yet. Still I'm working on sorting my brother's one when I get there on Wednesday.

Loth, I'm thinking of you and your family - so much happening at once.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for prayers and good wishes. Eldest son is on nasty stuff, very strong anti biotic. However, surgeon told him of someone who went for a similar operation and infection was discovered. He was four weeks in hospital getting that cleared before the original op could be rescheduled.

On top of all this is a planned stay for unknown duration in Strasbourg for something I think is just not on. They both usually have very good discernment but I think friendship has clouded issues. So apparently this is still on, just delayed. I had hoped they may reconsider and they still could. So downsizing, packing, selling three houses and two units etc.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A group of people took the Christchurch diocese to court over the fate of the Cathedral. The upshot is that the diocese have the right to demolish what's left of the building. What will take its place is uncertain.

Meanwhile the cardboard Cathedral (on a different site) has had some problems with getting soggy in the huge storm a couple of weeks ago*, but is on track for opening in late August/September. The Catholics are going to build on adjacent land to their original site. The walls that are left of the current building are going to be taken down to a low level and a garden planted within them (from what I understand).

*the bit that got soggy won't be exposed to the elements when the Cathedral is built.

[ 28. July 2013, 05:39: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another good shake early this morning just after 1am. Rosie thought it was me rolling over...

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
we're off to NZ again, moving to a town for which I haven't yet thought up a moniker, to a position which I won't identify here.

[Ultra confused]

Got that?

What a tease!

GG

Henceforth, despite my outing myself (I'm hardly "in", location or identity wise, I suspect), St Legos on the Wobbly Bit. I'll change my location-line when we move in October.

And will always henceforth be very nice about bishops. Well my ones, anyway.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Henceforth, despite my outing myself (I'm hardly "in", location or identity wise, I suspect)
True.

[ 28. July 2013, 21:47: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I, myself, am completely anonymous.

Stop sniggering, you lot!

I said stop it

NOW

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I, myself, am completely anonymous.

Stop sniggering, you lot!

I said stop it

NOW

Don't blame me, Pete. I didn't let your secret out.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:
we're off to NZ again, moving to a town for which I haven't yet thought up a moniker, to a position which I won't identify here.

[Ultra confused]

Got that?

What a tease!

GG

Henceforth, despite my outing myself (I'm hardly "in", location or identity wise, I suspect), St Legos on the Wobbly Bit. I'll change my location-line when we move in October.

And will always henceforth be very nice about bishops. Well my ones, anyway.

Apt name. I just had a look. So you are lego man? [Biased]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa, you would have been collated as an archdeacon in the NT - what is done to you now? My memory is that you are installed, literally* placed in a stall.

* note the correct use of literally.

[ 29. July 2013, 03:43: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
So you are lego man? [Biased]

[Axe murder] You betcha [Axe murder]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Yeah, Gee D - installed. What fun. I wonder if I have to be discollated or something first.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Arabella, my best non-earthquake shake was Georgie-Porgy launching herself from the cupboard onto the bed - I though it was at least 4.5 and couldn't work out why Geonet didn't register it [Roll Eyes]

I walked through the former red zone today, some of it for the first time. It was like one enormous building site. There are very few buildings between the river and the Cathedral, but lots of blokes, and a few women scurrying around like worker ants. Two things that raised my hopes were that my favourite building is still standing (with lots of bracing) and the sun caught the Chalice (which is a silver sculpture shaped like an ice cream cone made of pieces shaped like native tree leaves). I have always loved it. It was completed just before 9/11 and became a focal point for people leaving flowers and notes of condolence.

I am flying to Wellington on Wednesday and coming back by ferry and bus on Saturday. I am hoping there are no aftershocks while we're on the water as the ferry route is reasonably close to the epicentre of the quakes. Also Highway 1 travels through Seddon, the nearest small town. I can do without the extra excitement.

Huia

[ 29. July 2013, 08:49: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Yeah, Gee D - installed. What fun. I wonder if I have to be discollated or something first.

s long as that is limited to bashing you (lightly) around the shoulders, rather than severing them from your head, it should not be too bad.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that's our church bazaar over for another year. Fun while it lasted, though hard work for Mrs T and me , who (as usual) ran the book stall. We might be doing it another country next year, as moving plans are being formulated.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I am hoping there are no aftershocks while we're on the water as the ferry route is reasonably close to the epicentre of the quakes.

A wobble whilst in state Strait or anywhere at sea would be utterly harmless. State Highway One could be nasty.

Funnily enough I used to live on State Highway One. Raumati, though.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just surfacing after a full on month of significant family birthdays, a kairos outside mission (yes, at a southern campsite in July - it snowed - I now have a headcold) and visits from assorted family.

Perhaps the best thing about all of the above is that some of them have now discovered why I bother to be a Godbotherer. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks for that Zappa - I couldn't work out whether it would be better or worse. Earthquake brain strikes again.

Did you see
Second Hand Wedding? it's set in Raumati with some lovely shots of Kapiti.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Meanwhile my school has been rocked by another young male dying suddenly last night. Can't say more than that, but I'd appreciate a prayer or two for all concerned.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

You've got them. [Votive]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes, prayers indeed, Zappa.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]
And the odd scream on your behalf.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I make a rare appearance up here with sad tidings. Our shipmate Mullygrub (once known as St Steph) lost her father last night. He died suddenly of a heart attack at the young age of 56.
Please keep her and her family in your prayers.
[Votive]
And for Zappa and his school [Votive]

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] and [Votive]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Votive] Father of Mullygrub and all the grubs

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes indeed

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Mully Grub and family [Votive]

For the family and friends of the young man Zappa mentioned.

I'm back, I'm tired but the earth was reasonably quiet and for that I'm happy.

Huia

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Welcome back Clarence, and best wishes to you and FD. Now all we need is for Multipara to return (and put her sharp common sense into some of the sillier threads).

--------------------

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Multipara is banned. Though when we last spoke I'm not sure she'd noticed.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Gee D. It's nice to be back.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:

Thank you - I thought that she had been given a fortnight's shore leave, but did not know she'd been banned.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
Thanks Gee D. It's nice to be back.

It's a very nice back. Well I assume it is. I haven't inspected it. But it has a nice owner. How's life down in those Antarctic necks of the woods?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Thank you - I thought that she had been given a fortnight's shore leave, but did not know she'd been banned.
As far as I know she is not banned. She was given two weeks for arguing with an Admin in the wrong place and chose not to come back.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That was my recollection. We need her back.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Prayers for our diocesan synod opening tomorrow, electing a new Archbishop. May the Holy Spirit guide the choice of a good and godly man.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Prayers for our diocesan synod opening tomorrow, electing a new Archbishop. May the Holy Spirit guide the choice of a good and godly man.

Now that's a tough election. Almost on a par with September 7 :-)

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Only 2 candidates and both stress that it's carry on as now - no changes alas. Sounds almost as bad as the refugee policies.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
quote:

Now that's a tough election. Almost on a par with September 7 :-)
However one is considerably younger than the other and could be there twenty years. [Eek!]

[ 04. August 2013, 12:28: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
quote:

As far as I know she is not banned. She was given two weeks for arguing with an Admin in the wrong place and chose not to come back.
Multipara is not listed in the directory (like FD) and I thought that indicated a banning.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
However one is considerably younger than the other and could be there twenty years. [Eek!]

And having little or no administrative experience, may be open to "guidance" from others, at least in the initial years of office.

I am very glad I shall not be attending Synod.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Then again, if the other is elected, your parish will have a new bishop.

I know there has been a fair bit said and done behind the scenes but there seems to me to be a lot of jockeying for positions in the future by the young bloods or heavies in the diocese. I've also seen comments on the web by some who have obviously been told what to say.

I certainly agree abut not wishing to be there.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:

But they haven't asked me ... oh well ... I'll stay close to the phone

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

The holiday that turned to custard.. Tony had major stomach pains Friday night – ambulance to Thames while I grabbed a few necessities (and forgot some) and drove to follow (95 minutes) – another ambulance to Waikato Base hospital, 90 minutes at 95 kph (not because of urgency but long straight roads over the Hauraki Plain) with me right behind so as not to get lost.
Big shot doctor still deciding what to do, while I sit quietly in the hostel with my Macbook finishing off the church newsletter (due tomorrow) and Tony's semi-comatose in the ward.
Huge hospital but I'm beginning to find my way round – they have shuttles to take you round if needed.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

[Votive] [Votive] for you both, GG.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016