homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] from here, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for you GG and everyone else with illnesses and stress [Votive]

The election of the Abp of Sydney is interesting and yes I think there's a lot of jockeying for position with the younger generation. Of course in some ways the most interesting thing about this election is the impact it will have on the abp after that (the annointed one is extremely conservative but he may not wait around for 15-20 years).

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers from us both to you GG

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many prayers for you and The Granddad, GG! God hold you both in his hands. [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] Galloping Grandparents

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rosie and I will be thinking of you both GG.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] Tony and GG

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of you and the Grandad, GG and hoping that his health has taken a turn for the better overnight. [Votive]

Huia

[ 05. August 2013, 19:26: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our prayers for all who are ill or grieving.

We have been preoccupied this last couple of weeks with my recovery from second cataract operation and yet another change to my wife's pain meds, so please forgive the tardy response.

On electoral matters, Newcastle reconvenes on September 14 for another attempt at a new diocesan. No public announcement as to nominees this time though.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bishop Glenn Davies has been elected Archbishop of Sydney. Figures from yesterday published in SydAng site suggested to me this would be the case.

Here's the SMH take on it. (tinyURL)

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news I think Loth, well as good as could be expected.Will be interesting to see if Smith runs at the next election.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the photo he wasn't wearing a purple stock!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sound like the same old. eh? Names have been changed, that's all.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Sound like the same old. eh? Names have been changed, that's all.

Not quite that Pete C, glad to say. When Bishop Glenn has come to confirm or preach, he's always vested properly in good old fashioned style, looking like a nineteenth century portrait. I'm not sure that Canon Smith would do the same, but perhaps he'll be our new Regional Bishop (groans)?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tonight, Little Miss puts her last tooth in a glass for The Tooth Fairy . . .
. . . and it is a year today since my GP rang up and told me to ring an ambulance and get to hospital forthwith.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's the TF paying out these days? When I still had teeth to spare it was sixpence (which in Those Days would buy you enough sweeties to rot out a few more molars).
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last I heard from my uncle who is paying out roughly once a month at the moment, it was $2 (just less than a pound) because it's the largest amount possible without going to multiple coins or a $5 note.

Mum helpfully decided to pass on one extra rule that the tooth fairy applied ruthlessly in our house - if a dentist had to pull it out you got nothing!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
and it is a year today since my GP rang up and told me to ring an ambulance and get to hospital forthwith.

mr curly

Glad you're still here, Mr C. It's a good anniversary!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed Rexory, and there are some celebrations planned with two of my mates (one who had a potentially more catastrophic cardiac arrest a few years ago) in a few weeks. I suspect BBQ pork ribs and amber fluid will be consumed in immoderate quantities.

We've signed off on the tooth fairy at $2 per tooth. We've had no extractions, but agree that the tooth fairy will not attend in those circumstances.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When our kids were getting sixpence (they're now in their 40s) the neighbours were getting half a crown. I didn't think a fairy was big enough to carry such a weight.
Of course an Aussie $2 is smaller than a $1, isn't it? That would send the price up these days.
Those same neighbours had their kids hunting Easter Eggs on Good Friday. And he came from a good Methodist family.

The Grandad is having a relatively modest operation tomorrow to clear the blockage in his gut. Fortunately small as he mightn't survive a major procedure.

GG – who drove 300 kms yesterday to pick up more clothes & deal with left behind food etc, and 300 km back today, and is glad that there are shuttle-buses round this vast hospital by day while a tired Granny can be brought back to the hostel in a wheel chair in the evening if she can't crawl home by herself.

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG, I had just popped out to send you an email. I am really impressed by the kilometres and the speed you're clocking up. I hope you get a chance for a rest while the grandad is in hospital.

Huia

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
In the photo he wasn't wearing a purple stock!

Reading far to much into it. I did a check and this is how Archbishop Welby on the announcement of his appointment as Archbishop.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Yes, you take it easy as well GG and get some rest. Can you look into a bit of support for when you get back home?

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Yes, you take it easy as well GG and get some rest. Can you look into a bit of support for when you get back home?

That sounds like a really good idea. There's always more to such events than just physical tiredness.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Should be possible when we get back to the city, but the first thing will be to resume our holiday at Matarangi, which is pretty laid back. Not much housework – cleaner comes in when we've gone. The beauty of having a place there is that everything's simple: the house isn't full of forty years' STUFF, there are trees with a tui chattering outside our window, a few neighbours might turn up at the weekend but it's otherwise very quet, and the Grandad does jigsaws and dozes after lunch.

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Sounds like our place down the coast - the only thing to do is nothing. Just make sure you both rest and enjoy it.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Sounds like our place down the coast - the only thing to do is nothing. Just make sure you both rest and enjoy it.

First we have to get through. All the big shots round the bed this morning – have to do a lesser but urgent procedure this afternoon to relieve pressure in the gut; more has to be done but not till pneumonia's dealt with. All risks clearly defined. Scary.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Many prayers for you both GG.

I've had pneumonia badly a few years ago and remember how dreadful it was. Combine with the stomach problems and I can see how scary it must be for you.

Prayers for medical staff too.

[ 09. August 2013, 01:34: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

GG, special prayers from both of us for you, the Granddad and those caring for him.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for GG & GD. [Votive]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off for coffee with Cusanus. Madteawoman has been behaving at my conference, so all is well.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ozheather & I are crook as dogs at the mo'. Got all the energy of lead.

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Get well all!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Off for coffee with Cusanus. Madteawoman has been behaving at my conference, so all is well.

But isn't it when she's misbehaving that it's more fun?

And say hi to Cusanus. I miss him on these boards.

ps - just noticed post dates. Ah well, send him a note, willya?

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Checking in with a chest infection here. On the positive side, the jonquils and daffodils are out, and the wattle is blooming everywhere. Spring is definitely just around the corner, so am expecting to come off the antibiotics and then have to go on to hayfever meds....sincere sympathy for all others trying to get their health and energy back.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Confirmed on the Newcastle Diocese Facebook page yesterday that the only candidate for the episcopal election is Rt Rev Greg Thompson, Bishop of the Northern Territory. Please pray that we can achieve the necessary majority in both houses of synod to elect our new diocesan bishop.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Zappa's on his way across the Tasman. If Bishop Greg goes, who will be left? A very difficult diocese to go into at any level, I'd think.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Kuruman will be back over the Tasman too with Zappa, leaving her diocesan position.

I wonder if the tentacles which have reached the far north west of WA will think of spreading into NT?

[ 12. August 2013, 07:31: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

That's right - even fewer left. That's in a diocese strapped for people and even more strapped for money.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Kuruman will be back over the Tasman too with Zappa, leaving her diocesan position.

I wonder if the tentacles which have reached the far north west of WA will think of spreading into NT?

They will. And I do not feel proud. [Tear]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

My suspicion is that one result of the election of ++Glenn will be some considerable restraint in that sort of activity. The failure of Canon Smith's candidacy has been a real slap in the face for Dean Phillip Jensen and those who surround him, one whose sting will last quite a few years.

--------------------

ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been thinking of the benefits of being sick. It might be marginally better than listening to ABBA or having to study the art of enemas. (not a lot of difference between those comparison points really).

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
hugorune
Apprentice
# 17793

- Posted      Profile for hugorune     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all,
I'm new here and looking for a bit of advice. I grew up a baptised Christian, but I was also gay and in the closet, there was no one I trusted to speak to about it. My church was fundamentalist and as I teenager I heard no answers other than condemnation, and naively praying to God asking him to change me ended in nothing, other than deep spiritual discouragement. I'll spare the details, other than to say it was a difficult time, until I cleared my head in my early twenties and convinced myself that it was all just nonsense anyway.
So I carried on with my life - but I was never truly an atheist. I dabbled a bit with paganism (not to the silly extent of summoning spirits or anything) and then pantheism, finally coming to a vague conclusion that there is innately a divine aspect to the universe, but still rejecting the idea that man has any right to 'put a box around' that (based on the hurt and bloodshed that I see religious differences causing, surely no good God could will that to happen in his/her name).
But more recently I've come full circle, in a sense. An overwhelming need hit me last week, it was a certain conviction that there were ills in my own life, and in the world, that cannot be healed through human strength alone, and that I needed to submit myself and reconcile with God, and the church. Most urgently, my father angrily rejected me when I came out to him over a decade ago, it wounded me deeply, and I cannot find the strength to forgive him, as we cannot bring it up. It is like a wound to the soul that will not close up, because we still talk to each other (perhaps we would not if it were not that I need to see my mother) yet the atmosphere is thick with unspoken bitterness and lack of trust - even if it is in my head. The thought that it is painful for him as well brings me to tears sometimes.
But getting back to reconciliation with the church. This is not a new idea for me, it is only the strength of conviction and the determination that are new. But there are few churches where I can feel comfortable. A few years ago I attempted to return to a church of the same denomination I grew up in. The style of music was less traditional than I prefer, but I was feeling closer to God in the worship. When I came out in private to the pastor, there was an unequivocal response that homosexuality was sinful and I could not be a Christian if I believed otherwise. That is a 'stumbling block' for me. I am not promiscuous - quite the opposite - but I am not going to vow myself to either lifelong chastity or trying to pretend I'm straight, when I'm not. I quite believe that it's possible - and productive to read the Bible in context, and look for meaning that brings our hearts closer to God, rather than attempting to feed prejudices and divisions. I mean, I have to. Fundamentalism just has not worked for me, and I'm savvy enough to know that 'ex-gay' theory is a pile of stupid bullshit anyway, pardon the language.
So now, in my mid thirties and in Melbourne, I need to start from square one. I've given up on fundamentalist evangelical churches, they are written off for me personally. I am not even interested in attending charismatic churches. My Protestant training leaves me with some hang-ups about the Roman church, largely historical, but they are there anyway. I am thinking I should continue my search in the Anglican church, while I only attended once as a child I did then love the liturgy and the music - my love for music from the Church's history has never once left me, even though the lyrics have become personally confusing. I am also seeking theological understanding that does not compromise the brain God has granted me, and most importantly spiritual devotion that brings me close to God.
So, you guys in this forum seem an insightful lot. Am I on the right track?

--------------------
“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.”
C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity

Posts: 47 | From: Melbourne | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by ozowen:
I have been thinking of the benefits of being sick. It might be marginally better than listening to ABBA or having to study the art of enemas. (not a lot of difference between those comparison points really).

I'm not sick, but I'm having a mental health day. That's much more fun.

Huggorune - welcome to the Ship. I can't help with any practical info as I'm from the other side of the ditch but it sounds like that could be a good plan.

I was talking to the Minister at the Presbytarian Church where I worship yesterday and reflecting how healing it has been for me being part of a church where I don't have to check my brain at the door and, even more importantly, where I feel loved and accepted as I am.

I hope you find that too.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by hugorune:
Hi all ... Am I on the right track?

Firstly welcome. I'm off to umpire (netball) right now, but I'd like at the very least to say yes there's a right track there. From your history it could be hard to overcome the mysteries of liturgy, but there are plenty of places in Melbourne that have no difficulty with gay members.

If you can master the technology, PM me.

As it happens I was in Melbourne last weekend. Great banner on the cathedral.

[ 14. August 2013, 08:28: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
My suspicion is that one result of the election of ++Glenn will be some considerable restraint in that sort of activity. The failure of Canon Smith's candidacy has been a real slap in the face for Dean Phillip Jensen and those who surround him, one whose sting will last quite a few years.

I so hope so, and the signs are good. There may yet be a God in the Anglican church.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hugorone

I read your post and noticed the way it is worded. I suspect that given that is the way you feel, you need to at least start somewhere, where there is a fully developed theology of reconciliation. That means actually approaching a totally different part of the Christian spectrum and going to Roman Catholic, maybe Orthodox, Lutheran or Anglo-Catholic wing. Actually I wonder if you first step might not be to visit an Anglican religious order. Here is one with Melbourne Connections and another.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I cannot speak of the Community of the Holy Name, but the Benedictines do their work by printing the sheets we (and presumably others) use on Sundays, containing the Sentence and Collect for the day, and the lectionary readings as well.

I don't know enough of Melbourne church life to recommend parish churches, except to say that there must be Anglican churches there, like ours, who welcome gays into their community. Most Anglo-Catholicism in Australia is of the liberal, Aff Cath variety. Some are not, and by searching the Forward in Faith site you'll find the parishes where the vicar belongs to that grouping. A good place to start experiencing Anglo-Catholic worship, if that interests you, may well be St Paul's Cathedral. It is well placed for public transport, and like most cathedrals, you can attend and still remain a bit apart.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Hugorone

I read your post and noticed the way it is worded. I suspect that given that is the way you feel, you need to at least start somewhere, where there is a fully developed theology of reconciliation. That means actually approaching a totally different part of the Christian spectrum and going to Roman Catholic, maybe Orthodox, Lutheran or Anglo-Catholic wing. Actually I wonder if you first step might not be to visit an Anglican religious order. Here is one with Melbourne Connections and another.

Jengie

Rev Margaret Mayman, a great minister and leader in our gay rights movement in the NZ Presbyterian church, especially recently sticking up for the gay marriage movement, is moving to Oz, not sure exactly when. I can remember Pitt Street, think it's Melbourne, and it would be UCA. Can anyone confirm the details? It would certainly be a welcoming place.

PS Grandad making a slow recovery, still attached to all sorts of wires and tubes but very excited yesterday at being given an iceblock and some jelly and fruit juice. Hoping to have him repatriated to Wellington hospital; it will be a long hard job to get his strength back after lying in bed for a couple of weeks and more. And I'll have to pack up at Matarangi and get son to come and help me drive home.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have been praying for you both, GG, and am glad to see your update. Yes, bed rest is needed, could hardly be anything else, but it too can be debilitating.

Pitt Street and Uniting to me means Pitt Street Uniting church, Sydney. Here's a link. It's right in Sydney CBD.

[corrected link coding - WW]

[ 15. August 2013, 01:45: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016