homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] GG and that Grandad [Yipee] - and I agree about the health system

Mr C - [Yipee]

Evangeline - I totally agree regard the courage of the firefighters. My youngest brother was involved in voluntary firefighting for a while -scary stuff

Huia

[ 24. October 2013, 19:00: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
The military causing one of the fires is being well-reported, not a lot of reaction so far.

Terribly, terribly sad that the pilot of one of the fire-fighting planes died, most of those fighting the fires are volunteers, truly heroic and awesome effort [Votive] for them all.

Sad news indeed. I can only begin to imagine the difficulties involved in water bombing, particularly when the recent gales are also add to the problems.

I've done a very small amount of fire fighting on the property we had near Cessnock. Absoulutely nothing like what has been needed and accomplished this week.

RFS and SES service are both in my family. My part was to look after the small grandchildren to allw the volunteer time to take part in what was being needed. Major injury wrote off the RFS work and daughter-in-law resigned from SES as her employer was very unwilling to allow her time.

However, the baton has been picked up this week. One son, a state government employee at a very senior level, found himself catapulted from his department to a very major behind the scenes admin and installation role which is absolutely vital to fire fighting and evacuation service. It uses both his IT and managerial experience and knowledge and his people handling ability.

His comment? It just had to be done.

[ 24. October 2013, 21:52: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
... What's so bad about state-funded health care????? ...

Absolutely nothing.

As a Brit, I was used to having mostly excellent healthcare which was free apart from a standard prescription charge and charges for dental and eyecare. Although the system here in Canada is much better than in some places*, I was still horrified at how little you get if you haven't got insurance (and how much they'll try and charge you if they think you haven't).

Great news about Galloping Grandad though - may his recovery be swift and complete!

[Votive]

* Our southerly neighbour springs to mind. [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This youtube video was sent to me by place where I get cameras, lenses etc. The bit right near the end is the old blast furnaces, not really a casualty in these fires. Choral accompaniment.

This is from the fire which originated from explosives used by Defence department.

Photos taken by drone camera of fires at Lithgow.

The bridges are part of the ZigZag railway, the original line to Lithgow from the top of mountains. The historic railway, now a tourist attraction was pretty well wiped out and stock was destroyed days before re-opening after a refurbishment.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, that's a very moving video.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just had a lovely dinner in Melbourne, with Bronwyn and her lovely daughter.
As ever, delightful night!
I spoke at a Frontier Setvices Lunch today... Told how I minister and how I enjoy it so.
Also popped into HQ of the state police, to get formal chaplaincy ID...
Home tomorrow.
I won't miss the traffic, the noise, the polluted air.
But I have had a great two days.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TP, being English, has a fondness for hearty soups. He has discovered, since his retirement, he has a talent for making them. Needless to say I have happily abandoned the kitchen and taken up applauding from the sidelines.

Then: disaster. The soup tureen broke. What does an Englishman do without a soup tureen? It is not to be endured, so off we hie to the shops to find one. I am still smiling at the exchanges across the counters of half a dozen kitchenalia type places.

"Tureen" is obviously not a word in the vocabulary of most people under the age of 35. Even elaborate explanations were met with looks of disbelief. A couple of them pretended to know, but most certainly didn't; and hats off to the young man from the sub-continent who declared we should come back tomorrow because a shipment was due in and they would 'most probably have those then'.

We found expensive ugly ones in antique shops. But as TP is not really a delicate cook we wanted something we wouldn't grieve over if another mishap occurred. Finally we found one in a French provincial type shop - although we had to tell the girl serving the name of the 'pot thingy' on the shelf behind her.

But don't take my word for it. Go out and find anyone under 40 and ask them if they know what a "tureen" is. I'll be very interested in the result!

Whew.
Anyway, TP is happy, and we are having curried beef soup for dinner. It is also the first time I have ever heard him express any gratitude to the French. It has been a day of miracles indeed.

[Smile]

[ 30. October 2013, 05:09: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL:
I'm well past the age of 35, and I wouldn't know what a soup tureen is/ was either. Is it just the big pot in which soup is cooked?

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Served rather than cooked, usually.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In one hour, my Commissioning as Rector in my new parish takes place. Prayers appreciated!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

[Votive]

Will find a bigger map to put things in context.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
In one hour, my Commissioning as Rector in my new parish takes place. Prayers appreciated!

[Votive] rexory

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers indeed, Rexory.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, folks. It's done! No names, no packdrill - but the parish sits immediately east and south-east of a certain centre for entertainment and gambling.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rexory, I hope work in your new parish goes well.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
Thanks, folks. It's done! No names, no packdrill - but the parish sits immediately east and south-east of a certain centre for entertainment and gambling.

I found it without the hints which mean nothing to me anyway. A bit of a dig last night.

[Votive] for future there.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any photos?

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm past 35 but my sister is only about 1 yr past that and we know what soup tureens are. My mother's dinner service has 1 large and 8 individual tureens.

Here's a picture of a soup tureen can't find any individual ones, they must have really gone out of style-they are good though, soup stays hotter than in a bowl.

Pottery Barn tureen

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the best in your new parish, Rexory!

Banner Lady - keep enjoying the soup!

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For us, the tureen is not so much to serve from on the night the soup is created, but to hold the leftovers. It keeps in the fridge much better in the lidded crockery pot, steeps well, and is even tastier to eat the next day. A tureen (like the one pictured above) doesn't take up much shelf space for the volume it can contain; and the ladle makes it easy to help oneself.

A most under-rated bit of kit. Or maybe I'm just being sucked into TP's 18th century world? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BL, it is good to know such things still exist. There are other oddities like epergnes and odd types of knives and spoons that are definitely not available!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Not long after we married, D. took it into his head that sugar-cubes would be fun and we had fun scouring the antique-shops of Belfast for a set of sugar-tongs.

Although neither of us takes sugar in tea or coffee any more, I think we've still got them somewhere ...

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After ten days at home the Grandad is happy to be back with his postcard collection (he's now catalogued 17,000 Egyptian cards, though he doesn't own that many) and looks healthy thanks to the nourishment from all those pills and supplements. But so far the 1.9 metres of gut isn't showing signs of taking over the job of digesting all that good no-fibre food I give him (the meals on wheels were not satisfactory).
I think we'll need prayer support for quite a while yet. And that's for me too: if anything happened to my health, who would look after him?
My con-evo friend had a poster on her fb wall: 'God won't give you more than you can handle'. As a committed Progressive I'd have to re-phrase that but it's a reminder of the presence of the mystery that we call God.
No, I'm not down-hearted, in fact happy on one level, keeping things going and finishing a 16-page parish quarterly newsletter on time today. (No I don't write it: I drag/wring contributions out of everyone who can write coherent reports – by next Wednesday it should be on line here )

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Prayers for you both GG.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, I don't usually post here, but I'm about to fly out to join a ship in New Zealand, so I thought I'd wave. I fly from London tomorrow (Monday) evening and land in Wellington on the 6th at 1450, then trundle myself (and all my stuff, I don't come home until February, and the voyage that starts in December across the Southern Ocean and around Cape Horn is not going to be warm and summery) to my Ship which is apparently going to be somewhere called Queens Wharf. My friend over in NZ thinks I can catch an orange bus into the city to the train station, and then it's not far in a cab (big bag[s] walking ain't gonna happen) from there, does that ring a bell with anyone?

I found out I was flying out now (as opposed to when I was going to be flying out, which was in December) on, er, Friday.
It's been a fairly busy weekend...
[Eek!] [Snore] [Yipee] [Help]

So anyway, I will join the ship, Lord Nelson, in Wellington, we sail to Nelson, then to Auckland, I have to take a bit of time off in Auckland (28th November - 6th December) so I'm not on the ship solidly all the way until February, and then I'll be back on board while we have some maintenance time before the long voyage starts on December the 15th, and we leave across the Southern Ocean, off around Cape Horn, ending up in Ushuaia in Argentina. Or, perhaps more clearly, here's the website summary of the voyages .

Quite exciting, but with the frenzy of packing and organising I'm a big bug-eyed with the whole thing at the moment.

Anyway. I might be able to find bits of free wifi at times, and if I do, I might be able to check this thread, so if you happen to be around, PM me. I have no money at all, so I can't afford to go out for dinner or to do anything exciting, but I might be able to do coffee or something, or maybe to invite you to come and see me on board if we're alongside and it fits in to what the ship's doing.

I was wondering if anyone's got ideas for free (or very cheap) things to do in Auckland (travel to anywhere else is difficult, because I can't afford to be spending, well, anything really [Frown] )

eep - this post's got really long somehow, probably because I'm rambling and getting up to poke the washing machine or to add things to lists all the time. I shall stop making your nice thread look all untidy now. Sorry.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Luv'an'daisies – tall ships: wow!!!
If I weren't looking after the Grandad 24/7 (see post above) I'd love to meet your plane and take you straight to Queen's Wharf with maybe a coffee on the way. Pity about that. The orange bus (Valley Flier) to the station would be right, though it would be worth checking out the cost of a shuttle from the airport direct to the ship: cheaper than taxi but takes several passengers and goes more roundabout.
All the best for your voyaging, and prayers for travelling maircies, as my Scots minister offered for me.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Hello, I don't usually post here, but I'm about to fly out to join a ship in New Zealand, so I thought I'd wave. I fly from London tomorrow (Monday) evening and land in Wellington on the 6th at 1450, then trundle myself (and all my stuff, I don't come home until February, and the voyage that starts in December across the Southern Ocean and around Cape Horn is not going to be warm and summery) to my Ship which is apparently going to be somewhere called Queens Wharf. My friend over in NZ thinks I can catch an orange bus into the city to the train station, and then it's not far in a cab (big bag[s] walking ain't gonna happen) from there, does that ring a bell with anyone?

I found out I was flying out now (as opposed to when I was going to be flying out, which was in December) on, er, Friday.
It's been a fairly busy weekend...
[Eek!] [Snore] [Yipee] [Help]

So anyway, I will join the ship, Lord Nelson, in Wellington, we sail to Nelson, then to Auckland, I have to take a bit of time off in Auckland (28th November - 6th December) so I'm not on the ship solidly all the way until February, and then I'll be back on board while we have some maintenance time before the long voyage starts on December the 15th, and we leave across the Southern Ocean, off around Cape Horn, ending up in Ushuaia in Argentina. Or, perhaps more clearly, here's the website summary of the voyages .

Quite exciting, but with the frenzy of packing and organising I'm a big bug-eyed with the whole thing at the moment.

Anyway. I might be able to find bits of free wifi at times, and if I do, I might be able to check this thread, so if you happen to be around, PM me. I have no money at all, so I can't afford to go out for dinner or to do anything exciting, but I might be able to do coffee or something, or maybe to invite you to come and see me on board if we're alongside and it fits in to what the ship's doing.

I was wondering if anyone's got ideas for free (or very cheap) things to do in Auckland (travel to anywhere else is difficult, because I can't afford to be spending, well, anything really [Frown] )

eep - this post's got really long somehow, probably because I'm rambling and getting up to poke the washing machine or to add things to lists all the time. I shall stop making your nice thread look all untidy now. Sorry.

I was on a cruise ship on Auckland just two weeks ago and free wifi was hard too find, when I did it was slow to connect. Could have been something to do with 2800 other folk from the ship trying to do the same!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wow, Luvanddaisies - that sounds like one hell of an exciting voyage!

Hope everything goes well - travel safely. [Smile]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LnD, that is amazing, I'm writhing with jealousy. if you ever can get a moment to check in with us here on the ship, please do! safe travels!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

L&D, Auckland City library should have free wi-fi and I think McDonalds do for the price of a coffee.

I know very little about what's available in Auckland.

I've never caught a shuttle at Wellington airport, but I know that the Airport Flyer (bus) leaves from the end of the large room where the baggage claim is located - ask anyone or at one of the shops if you can't find it. It doesn't actually go right to the railway station, you have to walk to a pedestrian subway which goes under a couple of roads to the station. Once in the station the taxis are out the front, which is a right angle to the way you entered the station. Actually I think Queen's wharf is the one with the entrance across the road from the railway station, in which case it is probably not as far as the flyer bus stop is from the station.

Having said all that the shuttle would probably be a more convenient way to go. Just ask for a quote before you get in.

Although it has been changed a lot since I was a child I have always had a soft spot for Wellington Station, my Grandad helped to build it.

Huia

[ 04. November 2013, 04:44: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a grand adventure Luv'nDaisies wow.

I have spent a few days in Auckland, the best freebie I discovered was the Auckland museum -free entry and lots of interesting stuff about Melanesia, Maori culture etc as well as some colonial past and natural history stuff. If you haven't totally had enough of the ocean, you might be able to spend a day at the beach near Auckland very cheaply too.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm too old for it now but, like comet, I am so jealous - have a fab, fab time.

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, I would love to do that, LnD. My brother did something similar years ago and had a ball.

Yep, you can catch the orange airport flyer bus. I'd be strongly tempted to follow Huia's advice though and get a shuttle, to get you closer without any confusion about where you're going. Most Welly people can direct you to Queen's Wharf.

If I wasn't going to be in a meeting I'd pick you up and take you. Bother.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
aw, thank you everyone for the really helpful and lovely posts here. I'm pretty much packed now, just got to do the last few things and actually *get* there now!

So, I've sailed a lot on Lord Nelson. I'll be on as a (volunteer) Bosun's Mate for the long voyage, but up until then I'll be doing rigging stuff, just working through a jobs list - hence them getting me to fly out earlier than planned.
The Southern Ocean trip is on my Bucket List, and actually getting to see New Zealand is very exciting, even if I only see a little bit.

So...

Galloping Granny - thank you for the bus info, and thank you for the thought of picking me up, had it been possible - it's such a nice thought though, and it made me go all soft and squidgy and unsailorlike [Smile]
I hope the Galloping Grandad is progressing through a walk and a trot towards a jolly decent canter, and that you're getting time to look after yourself too. (and travelling maircies, heh, I haven't heard it pronounced like that since I lived in the Highlands when I was wee [Smile] )

Dennis the Menace - ah boo. Still, I am very practised at the ashore wifi search, from various ships and in various countries, and I speak the same language as the people in this one. How hard can it be..? [Help] [Big Grin]

Piglet - thank you. There wil be parts of the Southern Ocean that are just AAGH. I fully expect this, but it's a thing I want to do. Round the Horn in a Square RIgger - that'll be a tick in a box.

Comet - thanks [Smile] I'm really excited (or I will be once I get aboard and dump my enormous bag-the-size-of-a-planet). I'm not sure where people would want to read my ramblings, but I might send you a little PM if I get time. Lord Nelson is over in the vague direction of the USA some time towards the end of Sail the World... [Biased]

Huia - hey, I can't see you post without thinking of the exercise race threads, back when I was in one place long enough to post on them! Thank you for the transport advice - the shuttle sounds useful (in fact, I've let the Ship know it exists, in case it's useful for people joining/leaving there. Because Lord Nelson's accessible and so has crew of all sorts, able-bodied, wheelchair users, people missing limbs or bits of them, deaf people, blind people, older people who are a bit frail, whatever and whoever really, it might be useful for some of them to know about)

Evangeline - Noted about Museum, thank you [Smile]

Wodders - too old? hah. I've sailed with people older than you (I don't care how old you are, I've always thought 21, personally [Biased] , I don't *think* you're in your late nineties yet, I think the oldest person I've sailed with on Nellie/Tenacious was 96 or 97) on Lord Nelson and on her sister ship Tenacious. Too old? pah, you're able to type on here, you're well up to a voyage (see above). I remember a friend taking a lovely guy up to the top of Tenacious's main mast for his birthday once. He was partially sighted. Oh, how old was he that birthday? 89. Said it would be his birthday morning walk. He was a dude.
Go on, yield to the temptation... you know you want to mwahahaha...

Arabella - Thank you too for transport advice input, and for the thought that you'd pick me up if it were possible - it's so nice of you and GG to even have thought about that.
If you happen to find yourself passing while we're there, ask someone who's around if you can come and have a look, tell them you know someone aboard (I'll be one of the Bosun's Mates, and they'll probably work out that it'd be likely me who'd have invited a person I've only seen online to pop round for coffee and a tour!)

so, I suppose I'd better go and Do Things...
I'll check this thread again before I set off.

Thank you again all.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Double posting, because the previous one was clearly not long or rambly enough...

Just had a message to say she'll be berthed somewhere around here.

Apparently she arrived in Wellington this morning.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
G'day folks on the other side of the world (and LnD, wow, what an adventure!)

At the weekend, I went to a pub which I last went to at a ship meet on the Isle of Wight (not a Wightmeet though) with Cusanus whilst he was doing a tour of the Uk (in the frozen depths of January). Just checking in to see if anyone remembers him/knows how he is.. And on a similar note, anyone heard from/seen Ian C?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LnD, I used to work directly over the road from Queen's Wharf, so saw all the lovely old ships when they came to visit. I've taken a number of photographs over the years - they make wonderfully dramatic subjects.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
G'day folks on the other side of the world (and LnD, wow, what an adventure!)

At the weekend, I went to a pub which I last went to at a ship meet on the Isle of Wight (not a Wightmeet though) with Cusanus whilst he was doing a tour of the Uk (in the frozen depths of January). Just checking in to see if anyone remembers him/knows how he is.. And on a similar note, anyone heard from/seen Ian C?

I had an email from Ian C in the last year but have heard nothing since. It may have been even longer than a year.

[ 04. November 2013, 23:45: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, I used to see Ian C on FB when I was planning my antipodean adventure in 2010. No longer.

As for Cusanus, I believe some of the Ozzies are in touch. He was mentioned as being met a few months back.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

L&D I hope you realise you're missing the best part of NZ, Te Wai Pounamu (the South Island) - a quick visit to Nelson isn't enough - you'll have to come back.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
The bridges are part of the ZigZag railway, the original line to Lithgow from the top of mountains. The historic railway, now a tourist attraction was pretty well wiped out and stock was destroyed days before re-opening after a refurbishment.

You might find this interesting on the tourist railway issue, I've been told by a reliable source that the safety recertification they were working up towards (they had it stripped last year after a damning report into a 2011 head-on collision) was unlikely to be granted by the regulator even if the fire didn't happen. Several of the regulator's key safety requirements weren't yet anywhere near being met, and there was also flood damage to some of the track from early this year still requiring repairs.

The losses to rolling stock now appear to be minimal enough that it shouldn't be a problem (they had way more stuff than they ever knew what to with) but some of the damage to structures. If ZZR goes under, it won't be the fire that will have killed them off but rather their inability to satisfy the regulator that they can run a safe railway.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

News over here is that they were due to reopen in a very short time.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Zig Zag FB page

Rail Express

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My source at the ONRSR head office here in Adelaide says they were dreaming if they thought they had a chance of getting recertified this soon, and that staff at both ONRSR and ATSB were starting to get a little tired of the casual attitudes at ZZR.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

After four hours in the dentist's chair two days ago, I have to go back this afternoon for more of the same. Sigh. I have obviously reached the age where my teeth are revolting.

But I did get to see the new whizz-bang machine in the dental surgery sculpting a couple of crowns for me from scanned in images of my mouth. Truly amazing, and TP was gobsmacked they could do it so much more cheaply than the crowns he has had to have built in the past.

Yay for 21st century dentistry!

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin] toothy smile for BL! [Big Grin]

This morning I set off for my leisurely drive to Perth. Lovely.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Enjoy the drive! My sister did that last year towing a small A frame van. Around the coast from Victoria, across the Nullarbor, then north from Kalgoorlie, I think. She went as far north as Norman where she minded a house for a friend for several months, then returned after also visiting Margaret River area.

She was gobsmacked by the Pilbara and the bush out there, so different to East Coast.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
After four hours in the dentist's chair two days ago, I have to go back this afternoon for more of the same. Sigh. I have obviously reached the age where my teeth are revolting.

But I did get to see the new whizz-bang machine in the dental surgery sculpting a couple of crowns for me from scanned in images of my mouth. Truly amazing, and TP was gobsmacked they could do it so much more cheaply than the crowns he has had to have built in the past.

Yay for 21st century dentistry!

I have a few of those now. The first time I had one they took me to see it being done. The second time they sat me back in the waiting room so that they could fit someone else in. More recently, they've left me in the chair with the gas on low and the music on high; I'm a real dental wuss but they way they take care of me means that I sometimes nod off.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Even the dentist's chair these days is so comfortable that I have the feeling that if I was having a sleepless night the one place where I could sleep would be if I could break into the surgery.

GG

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fire quite close today. Local friends posting pics of Elvis overhead all day on Facebook. Smoke was blowing in another direction away from us.

Word is that a woman in 40s and her son in 20s have been arrested for lighting 6 fires.

Usual Friday chaos otherwise. Only 4 stops left of the Friday Kid Run, then wine o'clock.

mr curly.

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016