homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
...To their credit, they didn't lose anyone - even the 106 year old recovered okay. Some tough genes in that place.

When I worked in residential care of the elderly I saw the same sort of thing - and if someone can get to 80, 90, 100 they have got to be pretty darned tough - the weaker ones tend to fall by the wayside earlier.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news about your son, Lothlorien - may his recovery be a as quick and hassle-free as possible.

[Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very nervous about the future of the Diocese of The Northern Territory ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not content with making commuters watch trains go past at busy stations and having them change two or three times on what was once a through trip, our Glad, the transport minister, has done it again. The reasons the buses are late is that they have to stop to pick up passengers. Solution? Halve the number of stops.

Why do I think of the fully equipped and staffed hospital with no patients?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Very nervous about the future of the Diocese of The Northern Territory ...

We have a new Registrar appointed. Now for a Bishop. Doubtless Zappa is receiving the good oil from the Bush Telegraph. In relation to this process, I am only an interested bystander.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I found the quote in my new signature block in the online Canberra times this morning, as part of a longer profile of the Pope .

Even though I'm not a Roman, I still think it's very apt.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Not content with making commuters watch trains go past at busy stations and having them change two or three times on what was once a through trip, our Glad, the transport minister, has done it again. The reasons the buses are late is that they have to stop to pick up passengers. Solution? Halve the number of stops.

Why do I think of the fully equipped and staffed hospital with no patients?

Amazing how daft ministers of the Crown can be.. Of course this person probably never even catches a bus and sees how many users would have problems with their solution. Either put more buses on or re-write the timetable to reflect reality.

As for cutting out through buses, this means people have to catch more buses. which alsomeans the time loading is longer - sounds like an "own goal" to me.

One of the best things about living here is that the bus service is reasonably good. We are still having frequent detours due to earthquake related stuff, but the route I travel has week=day buses every 15 mins, and half-hourly in the weekend. After 9pm buses will stop where requested, but some drivers on quieter routes so this for elderly or overburdened passengers anyway.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At a farewell dinner last night I was sitting next to a devout baptist who at one stage said "Of course, Australia has never had a widespread spiritual revival like New Zealand did."

I obviously missed this in my Theology studies. Would anyone from across the Tasman care to enlighten me?

BL. Most intrigued.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps "Thank Heaven for small mercies" would have been an appropriate comment.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did we? When? Where?

Latest census figures would tend to suggest otherwise.

I was revived yesterday - from a general anesthetic. It wasn't pleasant, but the alternative would have been worse.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

I was revived yesterday - from a general anesthetic. It wasn't pleasant, but the alternative would have been worse.

Huia

[Killing me] Only if you're afeared of hellfire and damnation!

Seriously, hope you bounce back quickly Huia. And that the earth doesn't move for you while you are in recovery.

Oh, and Scripture in Song was touted as having come from the aforementioned revival. Curiouser and curiouser.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, prayers for you Huia. A simple and standard procedure can have its moments.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady

Oh, and Scripture in Song was touted as having come from the aforementioned revival. Curiouser and curiouser. [/QB]

I remember first encountering Scripture in Song many decades ago.

And I remember Marching for Jesus through the city singing Graham Kendrick stuff; that was rather later but still a long time ago. Not really my kind of thing but I did it once to show solidarity; I think it was repeated a couple of times.

There are a handful of Kendrick songs I enjoy – we sang his calypso carol 'This Child' last Sunday and I almost started dancing.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dunno about "revival", but I certainly remember "Scripture in Song" being very popular in the pentecostal churches in which Mrs R and I were involved in the early-mid 'seventies. And we often had NZ "evangelists" and preachers visiting us. This was in Geelong. Some good songs, some not so. Tomorrow's OT reading contains one of the "better" ones - "Therefore the redeemed of the Lord shall return..." Been earwormed with it all day.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for you, Huia. Take care.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien - sounds as if you're having a terrible time - and best wishes for recovery to Huia.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Lothlorien - sounds as if you're having a terrible time - and best wishes for recovery to Huia.

Thanks Ck and others for good wishes.

I visited a friend in southern highlands. She's a very competent physio and has taped shoulder for some relief. Nothing much doing in medical world at this time of year. It feels better but doesn't go well with summer clothes!

Son with back operation is happy with his back. However, his gut is still protesting at the indignities heaped upon it during operation and is not working very well at all.

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
Some good songs, some not so. Tomorrow's OT reading contains one of the "better" ones - "Therefore the redeemed of the Lord shall return..." Been earwormed with it all day.

Yup. Me too. Been doing all the slides for tomorrow and had it in my head all day (and we are singing it).

We're also screening this, which I have watched many times during the prep and am still enjoying: An Unexpected Christmas

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia [Votive]

Sang The Messiah last night. Lovely Aussie conductor, Richard Gill, lovely soloists evenly split between NZ and Aus, and a radically reduced Orpheus Choir and NZSO. It was fab from where I was... and all the comments so far seem to be positive. I do feel very lucky to be allowed to sing such wonderful stuff.

We went out with the basses afterwards and discovered just how noisy Wellington is on a Saturday night - bad case of cognitive dissonance coming from lovely music to drunks throwing up and shouting at us (we were a bit of an anomaly, what with the boys all being dressed in tuxes and us in full formal black). Definitely life's rich tapestry.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Richard Gill started his career at the school where my father taught and my brother and sister attended. Great guy who refused to buy a car and arrived and departed every day in a cab. He declared the short trio to and from home was cheaper and safer in a cab.

I was given his autobiography last year and found I knew many of those mentioned there.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Loth
[Votive] Huia

I'm unscathed after my first game of cricket in 24 years yesterday. First game with Biggest, who made a more meaningful contribution than I. Managed to field ok, while not being required to bat or bowl.
Watching Middle today who has been called up to play a game of rep cricket. Glad to be resting my sore legs all day.
Feeling the chaos of the season rather than the anticipation of advent. We're also not looking forward to some aspects of Christmas, with mother in law not well (chemo for long standing lymphoma) and sister in law deteriorating fast with motor neuron disease.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for Loth, Huia and Mr. Curly and his family.

APW, that sounds like a very good night - Messiah and imbibing with the basses!

As Descartes might have said (but probably didn't), I have sung, therefore I must drink. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Ah, the timing explains why I missed the revival - my years in the wilderness. I do remember some of the music though, from when I re-joined the church in about 1979/80.

Hymns For Sunday Morning today played a French carol I learnt at primary school over 50 years ago (in English the first lines are; Christ is born as a child on earth, play pipe and drum, play the flute and bagpipes/Christ is born as a child on earth, sing and dance to proclaim His birth.)

I was so glad to hear it again, although it was sung in French as L'Enfant Divine(excuse the lack of accents and spelling - it's been a long time [Biased] ).

I have still to hear "Evey Star shall sing a Carol" which I would love to hear again, being on dial up is sooo frustrating.

Next week we are going to sing alot of carols. I feel sorry for whoever sits next to me as with my hearing I am never sure I've hit the right note, but I still sing with enthusiasm. People like me are probably a source of pain to others [Hot and Hormonal] and cause them to display Christian Forbearance.

Huia

[ 15. December 2013, 00:56: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
APW – was that the Messiah with Teddy Tahu Rhodes? My favourite male voice – has a kind of edge that sends tingles up my spine.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive] for Huia, Lothlorien and Mr Curley's family. And maybe a wee one for me, 'cos I fell over and (?) sprained my shoulder on Monday, and no appointments available for a scan till next Wednesday – but it is beginning to feel a bit better. The x-ray was fine; my bones are pretty solid. I note the difference in implication between 'X fell over' and 'X Had a Fall', the latter implying a traumatic life event for an Older Person.

Huia I heard that carol, and I hadn't heard it for years. (Puts on French teacher's hat) "Il est né, le divin enfant". Some other beauties in church this morning when the choir, assembled annually for the event, did a magnificent job. Where does Val find all those wonderful songs? I even nabbed someone who is always a willing contributor to write about it for the church newsletter here (which in my hands isn't terribly 'religious', with no biblical texts, saints' days, people to pray for etc).

GG

Sorry I messed up the URL.

(Fixed it for you)

[ 15. December 2013, 07:49: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
APW – was that the Messiah with Teddy Tahu Rhodes? My favourite male voice – has a kind of edge that sends tingles up my spine.

It most certainly was. He reminded me of why I always wanted to grow up to be a bass when I was little. Although... the trumpet playing (Cheryl Holliger) was so good in The Trumpet Shall Sound that I forgot to listen to the singer.

Thanks for the extra info on Richard Gill, Loth. As a result I went looking for more info and am amazed at his many and various musical endeavours. He's a man after my own heart, although I suspect not always the easiest person to live with. He was particularly insistent on making the drama come alive - "If you don't believe, then think of it as theatre, if you do believe then regard the audience as possible converts."

Huia, Il est ne is one of my favourites. In fact, I could live very happily on a diet of French carols around Christmas. Another great fave is Un flambeau Jeanette, Isabella (Bring a torch).

However, I never want to sing Te Harinui again. Orpheus did a concert in Te Papa a couple of weeks ago, and our director (fab musician, not that clued up on NZ history) selected it. I wanted to, in the words of Dorothy Parker, fwow up.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Annabel Purity Winterbottom said
quote:
However, I never want to sing Te Harinui again. Orpheus did a concert in Te Papa a couple of weeks ago, and our director (fab musician, not that clued up on NZ history) selected it. I wanted to, in the words of Dorothy Parker, fwow up.
It was included in the carol singing at the Labyrinth last week, and we were enjoined to be sure and sing 'harinui' not 'haranui' as the latter means something like 'big curse'.
They made a point of including several NZ carols, others much more acceptable.

GG

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:

I'm unscathed after my first game of cricket in 24 years yesterday. First game with Biggest, who made a more meaningful contribution than I. Managed to field ok, while not being required to bat or bowl.
disease.
mr curly

A great joy - and I mean that in its best sense - at the end of Prep School is that the boys teams play a team made up from parents and other significants. My father and I were in the team against Dlet, and I managed to bowl him for 3. I was caught by another boy, but bowled Dlet for 14, and my father was bowled by him for 8. At the reprise in Yr 12, my father was there but unable to play. I bowled Dlet for 7, and he me for 6. Special rules of course for length of time at the crease, rotation of bowlers and fielders etc.

I'm sorry to hear of your family's health problems esp at this time of the year.

A week of law term to go!

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

GG [Votive] for the recovery of your shoulder.

Thank-you too for the correct name for the carol -I'll be able to chase it up now, along with Jeanette Isabella, another favourite.

If I never hear 'Te Harinui' again I wouldn't miss it.

I'm feeling better, but am off to the doctor today as I wasn't properly discharged because no one could find the surgeon, probably delivering a baby or something - the pressure on staff there seems relentless.

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Ventured into a sporting warehouse on Saturday to look for the first cricket set for B1.2 who is 7 and built like an elf. In the end we plumped for a lightweight plastic practice thing that has its own pop up ball launcher. He's not really very sports oriented, so we figured the pleasure he will get in playing with the launcher might keep him with a bat in his hands longer.

BL in a sports warehouse? Think Alice in Wonderland, and you've got it about right!

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there a decent, inclusive, student infested church in Christchurch ?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Huia - Il est ne le divin enfant is in Carols for Choirs book 2 (the orange one); most church choirs worth their salt should have a copy of it.

--------------------

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought that youse on the ship would enjoy this story most of all. Last Sunday was the first Pirate Church Christmas Special 'Away Into Danger'. As is our custom, we went out for dinner afterwards in Chinatown, at about 10pm, accompanied by some friends who had come to see the show. We ordered enough food to feed a small army, and made lots of raucous noise, including singing (in the most mocking way possible) 'Shine Jesus Shine', 'Shout to the Lord' and 'The Power of Your Love'. I mean seriously mocking, I was doing little asides about the audacity of commanding Jesus to shine as if he wasn't already, and the lesbian couple were singing 'I sing for joy at the work of your hands' to each other like a love song.

Actually, we were being a bit due and inconsiderate towards the other diners. But it was a pretty noisy place, so it wasn't too bad.

The kicker came when it was time to pay. Another diner, evidently hearing our joyous singing and raucous laughter, had paid for our meal (for eight people) including multiple bottles of Tsingtao beer! He asked the server to tell us 'Merry Christmas from a fellow Christian'.

And that, dear Shipmates, is the power of Jesus at work in the world today.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:

I don't think there are large numbers of University students at any church in Christchurch Martin, although if you're meaning High School there are a number who attend the Anglican Cathedral. There are probably a few at St Michael and All Angels (very High Anglican) The Church I attend which is liberal Presbytarian is definately one of the more inclusive ones in Christchurch (although I'm not sure if the Presbys will yet ordain gay people). A few years ago our church was stoned due to having a gay minister.

If you're asking on behalf of anyone I can ask around as I'm a bit out of touch with what's happening at different churches since the quakes. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Huia

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:

I've quoted your interest on the facebook of a forward-looking Presby minister friend in Christchurch; hope he'll come up with something.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks, Jugular, for that little tale. It made me chuckle.

"God moves in mysterious ways, his wonders to perform" as the poet said. [Biased]

[ 16. December 2013, 21:03: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:

Not exactly what you asked, but this may be of interest.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Son arrived home from hospital quite late this afternoon. Travelled by Patient Transport Ambulance because of back operation. Surgeon is very happy with back and gut will eventually settle. Now for rehab.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Well done Lothlorien, even if IIRC that was a bit longer than your original estimate.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Well done Lothlorien, even if IIRC that was a bit longer than your original estimate.

Yes, longer than the surgeon's estimate too. That was because of the side effect of innards not working well having been placed on chest for access and then replaced. They took offence at this.

He says back is good and he is very grateful for release of pain there. Has been on very nasty cocktails of powerful drugs for months.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Good news, Lothlorien - long may it continue. [Smile]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

GG

Is it just me but the name of the President is one I would expect to see in a society of a more rumbustious nature.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
quote:

GG

Talk about degrees of separation - I think I may be related to one of the Office holders,

Huia

[ 17. December 2013, 17:00: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Talking about relations - I opened the on-line news this morning to see my mother's cousin in one of the lead stories.

He is often in the lead car in the Melbourne ANZAC marches, and at the AFL ANZAC Day matches. Amazing guy - and the same age as Mum. Some tough genes, hey.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Talking about relations - I opened the on-line news this morning to see my mother's cousin in one of the lead stories.

He is often in the lead car in the Melbourne ANZAC marches, and at the AFL ANZAC Day matches. Amazing guy - and the same age as Mum. Some tough genes, hey.

God bless him and we need his story to be told! Wish the story had more coverage!
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I have still to hear "Evey Star shall sing a Carol" which I would love to hear again, being on dial up is sooo frustrating.

I love that carol! If your dial-up can cope with 2.5 minutes of YouTube, you can find a version here.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Vulpior - I will take my headphones to the library and bliss out.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After 110 days I finally have computer net access [Axe murder]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
At a farewell dinner last night I was sitting next to a devout baptist who at one stage said "Of course, Australia has never had a widespread spiritual revival like New Zealand did."

I obviously missed this in my Theology studies. Would anyone from across the Tasman care to enlighten me?

BL. Most intrigued.

He/she may have been referring to the NZ version charismatic renewal that of course happened both sides of the Tasman but which was probably more conspicuous in EnZed - and EnZedders often lie to think "hey/we lead the world" in more than just the sunrise. One scholar attributes the beginning of the renewal to Ray Muller, something of a bette noir in my cv, who was in the 1960s curate at my "church of origin" (I was there 20 years later), and who went on to be a leading light in the NZ version of renewal (though I would have to say there are many complexities and ambiguities in the subsequent narratives).

Or your interlocutor may have been speaking of the early 1900s renewal, in which case h/she's confused EnZed with Wales. An easy mistake to make. Except on the rugby field.

Or any other way, really. [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Finished for the year! Well, almost, as I have some chamber work to do over the weekend and then the usual tidy-up on Monday. Christmas/New Year at home, then down the coast for a week or so before a quick trip for winter in Vienna. I might start to think about retiring this time next year, but that depends upon Madame allowing me.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Huia, Galloping Granny. Huia, where's your church?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016