homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Family packed off for a day of ministry with children at St Winfields*. I have some shopping to do, and am reorganising the shed and the garage. Oh, and have 500 words of cricket comedy to bash out at some stage.

Persian meal with Mrs C's work team tonight.

mr curly

* OUr minster no longer has his filthy habit.

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something happen to my post - I suspect the top of the page poster [Paranoid]

Martin, you have an email. Let me know if you don't get it.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Something happen to my post - I suspect the top of the page poster [Paranoid]

On what grounds, precisely??

mr curly
Back on Top

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grounds? You think I need grounds for throwing around a wild accusation? [Roll Eyes]

Vulpior thanks, it wasn't quite what I was expecting, but it was wonderful. I also discovered two more versions and a version of Dreaming Marymy current favourite hymn that made me wince, but was better than nothing.

I could get seriously addicted to uTube, but I need to find the laptop connecting cord (lost in the bedroom) first so I can use the library to listen on mine and have unlimited time, rather than using their and be restricted to an hour at a time, and no more than 2 per day.

Huia

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Grounds? You think I need grounds for throwing around a wild accusation? [Roll Eyes]

Well said Huia! Only wimps need adequate grounds for an accusation.

Mind you, you could do what I do and just blame PeteC - works for me.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jugular:
I thought that youse on the ship would enjoy this story most of all. Last Sunday was the first Pirate Church Christmas Special 'Away Into Danger'. As is our custom, we went out for dinner afterwards in Chinatown, at about 10pm, accompanied by some friends who had come to see the show. We ordered enough food to feed a small army, and made lots of raucous noise, including singing (in the most mocking way possible) 'Shine Jesus Shine', 'Shout to the Lord' and 'The Power of Your Love'. I mean seriously mocking, I was doing little asides about the audacity of commanding Jesus to shine as if he wasn't already, and the lesbian couple were singing 'I sing for joy at the work of your hands' to each other like a love song.

Actually, we were being a bit due and inconsiderate towards the other diners. But it was a pretty noisy place, so it wasn't too bad.

The kicker came when it was time to pay. Another diner, evidently hearing our joyous singing and raucous laughter, had paid for our meal (for eight people) including multiple bottles of Tsingtao beer! He asked the server to tell us 'Merry Christmas from a fellow Christian'.

And that, dear Shipmates, is the power of Jesus at work in the world today.

GOLD! [Big Grin]
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Wet Season appears to have arrived, just in time for Christmas. Our Carol service was held on a somewhat warm and humid evening, until there was a tropical downpour (to coincide with a reading on angels and blessings). Fortunately, the rain cleared away before the service finished, and it was about five degrees cooler.

But it would be nice to have Christmas without a cyclone. The Christmas cyclone in 1974 gave rise to some serious remodelling afterwards.

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I gave away a lot of baby clothes and expensive nappies (pre-disposables then ) to thee cyclone relief appeal after cyclone Tracy.

Ten months later I needed them all again.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi L. Would you like me to send them back now?
[Big Grin]

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haven't posted here much before, but just wanted somewhere to vent a little after holding a dying cat, just run over on our driveway, having dashed in under the back wheel of a car fleeing from a playful, visiting dog. My kids saw it, too. And after 14 years, I'm going to miss Mia.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
Hi L. Would you like me to send them back now?
[Big Grin]

[Big Grin] Not even any more grandchildren around.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
Haven't posted here much before, but just wanted somewhere to vent a little after holding a dying cat, just run over on our driveway, having dashed in under the back wheel of a car fleeing from a playful, visiting dog. My kids saw it, too. And after 14 years, I'm going to miss Mia.

That's hard, Alban.
[Votive]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Oh Alban.

I'm off into the country this arvo collecting pinecones for a friend. Such a pleasant change from this morning's supermarket and Post Shop visit.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Tear] , Alban

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry about your cat, Alban. [Frown] [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry, Alban, that's awful. Every time we have to take a cat to be euthanased it's bad; but this is, I'm sure, worse.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Tear] [Votive] Alban.

Cats and cars are the very devil.

[ 23. December 2013, 06:35: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry, Alban - that's awful.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Some of the money from the sale of the family home has just been depositted into my bank account. I'm thinking of it as Mum and Dad's last Christmas present [Tear]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hugs, Huia.

I remember going with my sister to solicitor to pick up cheques from Mum's estate. It could have been better handled there and I wasn't happy. Then to bank to deposit the cheque and home to an empty house where I felt quite bereft.

This is only a couple of years ago and direct deposit requests were refused.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks Loth it's weird, but i didn't realise how much I was grieving, until it hit me all over again. Grief is weird.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Christmas to yez all, antipodeans

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien, I think the solicitor was proper in not making a payment from his trust account via a direct debit.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Christmas, Ozzies, Kiwis, and other assorted Pacific islands.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Lothlorien, I think the solicitor was proper in not making a payment from his trust account via a direct debit.

Perhaps so, but the whole thing was not handled well. Possibly because of the circumstances. The solicitor had taken over the handling of the estate after the original solicitor died suddenly. However, almost all the work had been completed.

I have no problem with her actual handling of the estate details, but personally she lacked what would be called a pleasant bedside manner in a doctor. My sister, the executor of mum's will, had had dealings with her and been satisfied. We were kept waiting well beyond appointment time and then the receptionist seemed to suddenly remember and gave us an envelope with three cheques. We even had to ask for another couple of envelopes so individual cheques could be put in them. And that was that. No real reason for an appointment time even with the way it was handled. A bit of empathy would have gone a long way.

As I found with Centrelink down the track, we should each have had a statement of settlement as I received at both divorce and sale and purchase of houses. I assumed the executor had one. No. No one had it. Centrelink contacted her about that .

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Christmas to us all (now 1.08 am)

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is just after 1am.

Christmas Eve dinner for 15 is done and so are my feet.
Happy family time was had, followed by a Nanna nap for me.
Then midnight mass at the Church with a Pond where MM and assorted musos made much delicious noise.

After being out of town for 3 years, and not having terribly fond memories of the Church with the Pond, it was challenging to go back there - but I'm glad I did. It was a service that was beautiful and bracing and possibly exactly what I needed to do.

Not that I expect I'll be in many other services where three trumpeters are playing - but all is well, the angels are singing and Christ is Born - Alleluja!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Jut spent a happy time reading OZNZBlog 2010 ... happy times and memories.

Now it's post liturgical nap time ...

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ohio... Children's Service at my sister's church.... Lovely atmosphere, content, music...
I am super happy on long service leave! It is great being with my extended family.
Blessings to you folk back home, this Christmas

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good Christmas day,
Breakfast, Church and relaxing with the family, (my dad, my kids and the ex Mrs Alban and her husband). Helps you understand somewhat the value of the chaos and expense which leads up to it. Wishing the richest blessings to all shipmates.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coming to the end of a gentle Christmas Day, the first without our last surviving parent. Midnight Mass, then grandchildren here through the day. Traditional dinner here tonight, lubricated by sparkling shiraz. Merry Christmas to those who are also coming to the end of the day, and to those just beginning.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rather belated I know (I was up to my ears in pre-Christmas frazzle yesterday), but merry Christmas from the far side of the planet.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
psst... Huia! empty your PM box, please!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Done.

--------------------

DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

Why is every Christmas in my parishes like a bad re-enactment of the Vicar of Dibley (where Geraldine has three Christmas lunches) - though in my last parish it was three lunches in one day, here it is more like five lunches in three days. Why am I so weak in the face of the temptation of champagne, cashew nuts, good wine and fruit pudding? Why are my wonderful parishioners so generous?

These are the great mysteries of Christmas ...

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

fine mysteries to wrestle with

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

We are all weak in the face of such temptation, DD. Following the frailties of Christmas and then Boxing Day, Madame and I are now on a water and weak tea diet until Tuesday evening - when we're bankrupting ourselves to see La Bohème followed by supper at the Opera House.

And Mr Curly - how do you and the boys feel after today's result - it bodes well for the last match.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
And Mr Curly - how do you and the boys feel after today's result - it bodes well for the last match.

Somewhat amazed, but excited! I'm going with Biggest to a corporate box on Day 1 (although uncatered, it will be rather comfortable) and then taking my dad and Middle and one of his makes on Monday, to maybe see the end game. Biggest has Green Shield (U16 grade club comp) on Sunday (Penrith), Tuesday (Tunks) and Thursday (Coogee) that week, so I'll be all cricketed out.

Went to SCG for a big Bash last night for my first experience ever in the Members. It was a late night, and the home team got done over big time,

Rellies have arrived so house guests for next 2 weeks.

mr curly.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Finally it's stopped raining [Yipee] . I was beginning to think that I should take up boat building.

--------------------

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Finally it's stopped raining [Yipee] . I was beginning to think that I should take up boat building.

It even bucketed down in Hawkes Bay, although the temperature stayed up, so we were hot AND sticky. Gorgeous drive back to Welly today though.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Warm in Welly; nice weather for Tony's weekly trip to the lab to have his bloods done.
Five-year-old granddaughter turned up on Skype for a story, so at last we read The Elephant's Child. One of my favourites for a read-aloud session. I hadn't noticed before that the Elephant's Child went by Graham's Town, named for a distant relative of our family (but it's not on the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo River, all set about with fever trees).

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Very pleasant here in Sydney with mild breeze. Good for revellers. I may see new year in, may not. I am often in bed before midnight on NYE. I can see a lot of fireworks from my balcony and can see more from roof garden. Not many go up there usually, It's up two flights of stairs and hip ached a lot last night. Perhaps the balcony will suffice.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I am so glad the year is over. Here's hoping 2014 is an improvement.

Happy New Year everyone.

Huia

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016