homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28] (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  25  26  27 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The NZ/Australia thread 2013 [mk 28]
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
GG I must admit I do like fine Sundays so I can bike to church, but a maximum of 25c would do me fine.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eight and a half months of election campaigning? Thanks a fucking lot Julia!

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Eight and a half months of election campaigning? Thanks a fucking lot Julia!

I think you were going to get that whether they called the election or not!

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, and everyone knew it was probably going to be around then anyway, but...

Goodness me, that is HIGHLY unusual. And it's during footy finals as well - also not common.

For me there's the added bonus of knowing I'll be back in the country by then. Although doing an overseas vote would have been novel.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is a surprising date, but I'm sure that the AFL will cope with it by having the two matches that weekend on the Friday night, and on the Saturday night after polls have closed for the day. The big winners there will be the Seven Network, having the footy instead of the election that night will guarantee huge ratings.

It will make the atmosphere outside many polling places a bit dull though, being after the end of the winter season for most school sports and the motive to put on fundraising barbecues being lower than if it was during the season.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
For me there's the added bonus of knowing I'll be back in the country by then. Although doing an overseas vote would have been novel.

Is it still compulsory if you're overseas?

Huia

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The semi-finals are normally evening matches; I think they will get a boost as the politically weary switch over. I've only ever worked at state and local elections, and would enjoy working at a federal election, but I have to allow for the possibility of finals footy for the Swans. Of course in an ideal world they'd make the top four, win the first week and have that week off, and we're hoping for back-to-back, but who knows.

I'm talking about footy; can you tell I'm getting excited in anticipation?

Huia, it's not compulsory if we're overseas, but if we want to the locations are a lot more limited; just the embassies and high commissions, I think. In fact, it would be good to be away within the state, as in many places the queues are often shorter for absentee voting.

I don't think the early announcement will have a long-term impact on the campaigning; we're just getting front-loaded discussion of the unusual announcement rather than loads of speculation about the date.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huia, just about the only excuse for not voting in Oz is being out of Oz. Though if you were a really true blue Orstraylien, you would find the nearest embassy and lodge one anyway. So there.

Rellies in Bundaberg were evacuated for one night, but are back home again. TP's brother is working for Lifeline in an evac centre there. Family in Mackay, Ipswich and Brisbane are all checking in to say they are damp, windblown and over "one in 100 year" flood events entirely (especially when there are 2 in a row and 6 within living memory) but are okay.

Clarence, please gather yourself together - you have been making rather a lot of water lately.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Clarence, please gather yourself together - you have been making rather a lot of water lately.

[Killing me]

Fortunately 2 cm less than would have been needed to submerge Grafton ... but Ulmarra, Lawrence etc never stand a chance. I suspect kuruman's dad's former house will have very wet feet at the moment ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today will be the first day of real face to face stuff in the classroom (pray for me - and for the students!). Yesterday I discovered there are new fangled things called smart boards (whatever happened to the nice roller or counterweighted blackboards they had in my day? [Tear] ) so DVD, here I come ...

... on the problem of evil. Theodicy. I like to start with the easy things.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Theodicy? Sheeeyat mate!!! [Votive]

I start my Dip Ed (secondary) majoring in RE shortly. I have three massive textbooks on how to teach Catholicism in schools. [Eek!]

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
how to teach Catholicism in schools. [Eek!]

But why would you want to?

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Notre Dame is the only university in WA that offers RE as a major.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

The RE didn't happen - it was an Indigenous class and the Indijkids aren't back yet. So a reprieve. I did however have a double International Baccalaureate Creativity Action Service (aka IB CAS) Year 11 ... students and I survived, but as I don't have as yet a fly's fart's worth of understanding of what they're supposed to be doing they didn't gain much. I put them through a role play and debrief that had bugger all to do with anything, but nearly got them through the double period. I let them out early.

Some stayed back to talk with me. Is that a good sign?

And I've got a talker over the top of everyone else in the class. Is assassination permissible?

[ 31. January 2013, 07:21: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No! If I'm not allowed to kill them for talking, you certainly aren't. At least none of yours throw desks.
Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
At least none of yours throw desks.

[Eek!] Are you issued full body armour? At least, a taser?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister in the NT has just started teaching at a new remote area school. She was told to leave her last post because she physically restrained a primary school child who was trying to hit another kid over the head with a metal chair.

The indij families concerned were so outraged at her interference that they demanded her dismissal. She was informed she had 24 hours to vacate her allocated housing, and it was in her interests to leave quickly as threats had been made that were being taken very seriously.

School teachers. What they don't tell you at training college. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Is assassination permissible?

Have you got a decent long-jump pit?

Huia

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
EL: The cope (that his wife made for him when he became archdeacon) is cream with a startling ethnic fabric border in black, brown, cream and white. It has a hood lined in the same Fijian print fabric. He has some connections to ministry in the Pacific.

If you need any more of said fabric let me know - it's readily available here. Our clergy have copes, stole etc of it too - doesn't go well with sparkly stuff.

[coding]

[ 01. February 2013, 02:28: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
No! If I'm not allowed to kill them for talking, you certainly aren't. At least none of yours throw desks.

Oh yes they do. But not in my classes so far (since I've only had one double period). Police have been called from time to time.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Police have been called from time to time.

but not since I've been there, of course.

On the other hand our students topped the Territory academically, both in IB and NTCET. [Axe murder] , and that bed stuff truly has depleted.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
that bed stuff

[Hot and Hormonal] "bad", not "bed" ... though evidence suggests there's some of the latter, too ...

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:

Is assassination permissible?

Have you got a decent long-jump pit?

Huia

Maybe a nice game of leap-frog for the darlings - in the direction of the largest cliff? Hmm, treat them like lemmings, and ....

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
At least none of yours throw desks.

[Eek!] Are you issued full body armour? At least, a taser?
No, but I do have a behaviour management parrot. He seems to be working so far.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
It is a surprising date

Really? With all the juicy details and a court decision on one of her former colleagues about to thrust her through the Media gauntlet yet again; I would say it is timed so the worst is over before polling day.

Just a thought. [Roll Eyes]

Of course, that also leaves plenty of time for someone else in her party to embarrass the heck out of Labour, cause a whole lot of headaches, and then give us the usual spectacle of a party disembowelling itself at the most unfortunate time. Labour seems to be rather good at doing that.

[ 01. February 2013, 18:10: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, that also leaves plenty of time for someone else in her party to embarrass the heck out of Labour...

Craig Thompson, Senator Chris Evans - well, who's next? [Eek!]

[ 01. February 2013, 21:54: Message edited by: Emendator Liturgia ]

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:

Craig Thompson, Senator Chris Evans - well, who's next?

Nicola Roxon, it seems.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are tiny black ants scurrying around my bathroom floor. I am three floors up, so hope they have made a mistake in coming this far up!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:

Craig Thompson, Senator Chris Evans - well, who's next?

Nicola Roxon, it seems.
Here you go, Rexory. Roxon and Evans both resign. called "live" by SMH.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

I'm still waiting for KRudd to come back.

[Angel]

(I'll get me coat...)

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I like this idea of Queensland having another go round in February with Australia Day II after the floods last weekend.

I suggest that the first time around be retroactively referred to as One Australia day, because like the infamous yacht of the 90's it too was covered in water [Biased]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
There are tiny black ants scurrying around my bathroom floor. I am three floors up, so hope they have made a mistake in coming this far up!

I thought you were talking about a dysfunctional Labor Party.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:

[Angel]

(I'll get me coat...)

Oh, I wish. Unfortunately, constitutionally, he can't, now. Which means we'll be trapped with the Elephantine Budgie Smuggler in September. Which, sad though I am to say it as a Laborite, will only be marginally worse than the Ranga and her groupies.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Why not? The faceless men could dust off the steak knives again and appoint Rudd their leader, and if he could demonstrate to the Governor-General that he has the majority support of the House of Representatives (i.e. all Labor members plus four others) he would become the new PM.

I would not welcome a second Rudd premiership, I think he's a power-mad psychopath who has designs on much higher titles than just Prime Minister, think along the lines of "Supreme Leader."

There is nothing official about this election yet, all we have so far is that the PM has said that's when she'll do it.

[ 02. February 2013, 07:29: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

Ahh, the joys and pleasures of a cool day and night - just right for recharging the batteries.

Tomorrow is a big day at church - we've regigged the Purification of the BVM to include aspects of traditional Candlemas. The order of service is done and printed, the music is ready, the sermon sits on my new android tablet (with a paper copy in hand, just in case), the candles for candlemas are in their presentation basket - now what have I forgotten?????

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

The kitchen sink? [Big Grin] Hope it went well. [Smile]

Attended Candlemas at my local today.

So nice to be a participant at a great church rather than a leader in a different one again......

[ 03. February 2013, 10:44: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
It is a surprising date

Really? With all the juicy details and a court decision on one of her former colleagues about to thrust her through the Media gauntlet yet again; I would say it is timed so the worst is over before polling day.

Just a thought. [Roll Eyes]

It was agreed with Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott in 2010, long before any court decisions were on the cards, that the election would be in September or October.

She didn't exactly have a lot of wriggle room unless she broke that agreement.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

[Angel]

(I'll get me coat...)

Oh, I wish. Unfortunately, constitutionally, he can't, now. Which means we'll be trapped with the Elephantine Budgie Smuggler in September. Which, sad though I am to say it as a Laborite, will only be marginally worse than the Ranga and her groupies.
*consults the Constitution*

Eh? What the devil are you talking about, man?

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

You mean there's hope?

[Eek!] [Big Grin] [Yipee]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've made it through a week as a high school parent - just 5.75 years or thereabouts to go... More importantly Cryptogirl has made it through the first week, although it is year 7 camp tomorrow and today she is complaining about a sore throat, but it's expected of her to be sick the day before camp - regular as clockwork!

One week into the election campaign and I'm bored to death already...

Loth - did your ants go? Ours have just arrived [Mad]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
You mean there's hope?

[Eek!] [Big Grin] [Yipee]

There's only one thing worse than endless election campaigning, and that's endless leadership speculation. I am SO SICK of every single Kevin Rudd cough or twitch being turned into oh my goodness maybe he's starting another run at the leadership!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Loth - did your ants go? Ours have just arrived

They did for a few days, but have returned today with a cohort of followers.

I now have two grandchildren at High School. Eldest grandson is now in year 9 and his cousin, Miss 12 from central coast, started last week.

I no longer look at policemen getting younger. I just look at my grandchildren. Master 14's two younger sisters started at the same school as he is. Year 5 and year 3. Not my choice but looking at alternatives in their area, probably a wise move. And the youngest, Master 7, also central coast, is over the moon at his new teacher for second grade because said teacher knows about soccer.

--------------------

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

quote:
quote:

Hmmm... They must be different ants then. I really hate spraying ants as they are such busy industrious little creatures that it seems a crime to do anything horrible to them. They are mighty annoying and persistent little buggers though, and completely mysterious the way that they seem to come from nowhere, make a trail across your house, and disappear back into a different nowhere.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I just saw Jackie Weaver on TV. At least my eyebrows are my own, not from a pencil.

She gives her age as several years below mine, but she was in the year down from me at Hornsby Girls. Does not compute.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Was she accelerated or did you fail a few? [Razz]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
quote:
quote:

Hmmm... They must be different ants then. I really hate spraying ants as they are such busy industrious little creatures that it seems a crime to do anything horrible to them. They are mighty annoying and persistent little buggers though, and completely mysterious the way that they seem to come from nowhere, make a trail across your house, and disappear back into a different nowhere.
We're lucky to have no ants but we did have a large weta (say 5 cm body) appear in the middle of the passage this morning. Did s/he (didn't attempt to sex it though I guess the female has an ovipositor) come in when we had the door open to get a breeze through the house? Wouldn't step nicely on to my hand so I had to get the dustpan and take it to a leafy spot outside. The Grandad kept his distance, having been a child in Egypt where insects must have been scarier than ours, or so I assume.
A weta is a gentle beast unless it's stressed, when a bucket or a dustpan is sensible.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Was she accelerated or did you fail a few? [Razz]

I think her memory is failing her. You probably don't know re NSW schools but Hornsby, North Sydney Girls and Sydney Girls battled it out each year for top selective girls' school. Academically, sporting choral etc. Not much has changed, another couple get a look in nowadays in state system.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

Maybe you're younger than you think, Loth! Wikipedia says she was born 25th May, 1947.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our letter was being moved into this afternoon by some ants and their eggs. By some, I mean a lot. Had to dispatch them.

Getting on with the writing this week. Still waiting for some paid work to eventuate, but looking good. Feeling much better in all ways last couple of weeks.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

There's a black dog sniffing at my heels.

[ 05. February 2013, 10:39: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  25  26  27 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016